have you relocated away from buffalo ?

drinkTHEkoolaid

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chicken chowder??? never heard of that regional dish....is it western ny's version of a brunswick stew?

I moved away from WNY in the late '80s and lived in DC, Ohio, Syracuse and Albany. I moved back in the ' 90s and it was the BEST decision I've ever made in my life.

I make a great wage here (many people do) and I live like a king because the cost of living is so low. I bought a 3,000 sq, ft. house in rural Niagara County that sits on two acres of land for a shade over $125,000. It came with a pool, fireplace, central air, Anderson Windows, skylights and an upper porch that overlooks my property. Oh yeah, and a 40-ft pole barn complete with heat and welding lines. Sure my taxes are higher than in many states, but considering that I paid nearly a half million less for the house than I would have in most locales, I think I'm ahead of the game.

I haven't seen a traffic jam in years, from May-October there isn't better weather to be had in all of America. When I want a great pizza, proper chicken wings, a Friday fish Fry, Chicken Chowder, a peanut doughnut or a Beef on Weck I can jump in my car or pick up the phone and order one and not lament the lack of good food in my area like all the ex-pats do.

My family is close (sometimes a good thing, sometimes bad) but I get to see my aging grandma often and won't regret my kids not having access to her or my parents once they're gone.

Nowhere else that I lived had as many great festivals (both summer and winter) as I enjoy here on the Niagara Frontier.

I don't think nature offers anything as beautiful as the Falls and the lower Niagara River. The Glen in Williamsville is a hidden gem and Allegheny State Park is just a short ride away.

Oh, let me also say that I truly love the fact that seeing a Bills or Sabres' game in person is just a matter of buying a (amongst the lowest cost in either league) ticket.

So to answer your question, should you leave what the late-great Tim Russert so accurately described as "God's Country?"

In one emphatic word, "No!" In this case the grass is greenest on our side of the fence.

check out this syracuse listing...4300 sq feet less than $300K

There's GOT to be something on 2700 sq home on 2 acres for $125,000. Past Murders? Bad foundation, cash only?

We are in Indian Land which is one of the fastest growing suburbs of Charlotte. Rock Hill is about 15 minutes away. Indian Land is still technically part of Fort Mill but that will likely change.

We're right on the border of Charlotte's Ballantyne district which is like a mini downtown with all the brand new office complexes. I joke with my wife that there are more businesses in Ballantyne than all of downtown Buffalo.

Downtown Charlotte - or uptown as they call in here - is 20 miles away.

I live in Ballantyne, but I rent. Been here 4 years, and it does have everything. Heck, everything I need is either walking distance, or a <5 minute drive. My friends all live 10 minutes away in a neighborhood full of 35-42 year old couples with 2-3 kids between 3 and 8 years old. I'm the odd one.

I'm on a job search now, but I'm sure I'll find something pretty quick.

There's some rumblings that Ballantyne might break off from Charlotte. They were talking about putting in some "affordable housing" and the locals weren't too keen on that. I think I'm just about all the riff-raff they want in these parts, IYKWIM.

chicken chowder??? never heard of that regional dish....is it western ny's version of a brunswick stew?

It's more accurately known as "Fireman's Chicken Chowder" Poojer, as it is cooked in big vats by firehalls all around WNY. It is eaten with a healthy dose of oyster crackers and is a staple at most field days and carnivals.

Here's a good link to a good background piece with some nice pics of chowder being prepared:Fireman's Chowder

Simple enough I'm looking for some advice on those who have relocated from wny. I'm seriously considering moving out of the area. After really thinking about how frusterated I am. My main complaints are high taxes on everything and a high cost of living comparative to salaries here

Where did you move to ?

What about that area interested you ?

How are the taxes real estate and cost of living?

What advice would you have to someone thinking of fleeing wny with a young family ?

We moved to Durham, NC.

It was a job opportunity for my wife.

Cost of living is a tiny bit higher.

Taxes are quite a bit lower, but I tell you what, in some ways you get what you pay for. The public schools here are pretty shady. And the towns with good schools have very high home prices and higher real estate taxes. My wife works in healthcare, and I work in higher ed, so once our little one becomes school age, we're strongly considering moving back to ROC or Buffalo. We both got great career experience down here we wouldn't have gotten up there, and now we would have a lot easier time finding jobs. The weather may suck, but it's home and we miss it. Plus our son is growing up down here not knowing his grandparents or cousins, and that sucks.

I've lived in two other areas of the country now besides WNY, and I keep feeling drawn back.

So, your mileage may vary, and I would never tell anybody not to see what's out there, but the grass isn't always greener. I have buddies who work in IT jobs didn't want to leave but had to because they have very few job options in WNY, but my wife and I are fortunate to be in fields where we're pretty likely to find decent jobs up there.

Plus, we're finally at a point in our lives where we could afford Bills season tickets, so after a house and snowblower, that will be our first purchase upon returning. :)

Simple enough I'm looking for some advice on those who have relocated from wny. I'm seriously considering moving out of the area. After really thinking about how frusterated I am. My main complaints are high taxes on everything and a high cost of living comparative to salaries here

Where did you move to ?

What about that area interested you ?

How are the taxes real estate and cost of living?

What advice would you have to someone thinking of fleeing wny with a young family ?

Rating quality of life is a pretty subjective thing. I recommend you try to spend a little time if you can in whatever location you eventually zero in on - - especially in the weather season that you think might be problematic. Sounds like you are thinking about moving generally south, so winters will seem easy anywhere - - check out the summers to make sure you like them.

Some resources:

1. Tax information (all kinds) by state:

http://portal.kiplinger.com/tools/retiree_map/

Ignore the fact that the link nominally is for retirees and click on any state in the map that interests you - - you will get all kinds of tax info for that state (including but not limited to tax info for retirees).

2. City specific information:

https://secure.vacationstogo.com/wheretoretire/bi-online.cfm

Again, though couched as info for retirees, every issue of "Where To Retire" magazine has useful general information about various communities. Note that you can see an alphabetical list of previously profiled cities (rather than rummaging at random through the above link) by going here:

https://secure.vacationstogo.com/wheretoretire/cities_profiled.cfm

Large bookstores, news-stands or libraries may have the current magazine edition so you can see the kind of info it provides - - if you are lucky a good sized library may have back issues you can view for free.

3. General info about various places to live:

Root around here for a while (note especially the cost of living comparison tool):

http://www.bestplaces.net/

and here (note links to finding and comparison tools, not just the top ten city list):

http://www.kiplinger.com/guides/best-cities/

4. When you narrow down your list, google the nearest big city name along with "moving guide" or "relocation guide" - - you may find that the local chamber of commerce or tourism agency will send you a free packet of all kinds of info upon request.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

• 3 weeks later...

My house is appraised in Lancaster @ $228,000 & I pay $6,800 in taxes. It is a fuggin joke property taxes in WNY.

My house in Illinois is worth just 170 and I pay almost 6k and everything from water to garbage is separate here. If taxes are such a problem, why aren't people flocking out of here like they say they are in NYS? I don't even live in Cook county... I live in a "Republican collar county." Actually, if I moved my house a mile to the north into Cook... I would probably pay about 1800 bucks less!

never did them both in one day. I think the ski resorts are in some trouble. I do go to Asheville quite a bit, and like Boone and Blowing Rock. I'm pretty happy with East Tennessee and probably will continue to live here even after I retire.

Me too...believe it or not, I'm going to sugar tomorrow. The webcams looked pretty decent and even the steeps were open. Of course, that's only if a tornado doesn't set down tonight. Kind scary tonight after last march.

Know anyone that makes moonshine in the hills?

Yup, why do you ask?

Edited by birdog1960