Slurs banned at stadium

you owe me a cup of coffee to replace what I just spit out with that comment..... :worthy:

Well said. I'm far from gay, but I hate those words. It's sad that this even needs to said in the first place. If you are going to taunt someone, be creative (hey ref, bend over and call the game with you good eye). Unfortunately, the people using this language are too dumb to think of creative things.

It's funny that if one athlete gets arrested, the whole league is filled with thugs. But people are sending death threats and hate tweets to athletes (including Jefferson of LSU , a college kid). Seriously, our country is so screwed.

ok, and now you owe me a donut to replace the one i just spit out with that comment..... :worthy:

Completely tongue in cheek. I'd never insult gay people by comparing them to Brady

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i think its great. nothing more retarded than lunatics getting in fights over entertainment choices. wait i cant say retarded. nothing more gay than lunatics getting in fights over entertainment choices. wait i cant say gay. dammit

fact is, im not at all homophobic or racist, i understand why homosexuals dont want you to use the word 'gay' to tease/taunt someone. but truth is words usually have many meanings depending on context. the word gay has come to mean lame and usually is used in that way without any reference to sexuality or offensiveness whatsoever. even the stronger word fag can be used without intending any moral judgment about sexual orientation. and besides, real homosexuals use that word all the freakin time. same thing with blacks and the ubiquitous 'nigga' - go to a rib joint in the hood and they use it a thousand times a minute to mean like five different things none of them offensive, but they dont want a white person to use it EVER, which is pretty fkd up when you really think about it

personally i think people should be able to say anything they want and be exposed by their own words. but that also means that the reciever has to be much more patient and discerning about determining real intent. most people fly off the handle at anything they think is remotely possible to be sexist, racist, or homophobic even when its not. they feel that certain words in certain situations should be banned, which of course causes its own problems often times more damaging than using those words in the first place

but when it comes to sports teams way too many people are crazy. sounds absurd for someone to get into a fight about who their favorite actor is, and yet thats exactly what happens thousands of times every single nfl sunday in american stadium parking lots and bars, not to mention at football/soccer events around the world every freakin day. somehow your favorite team becomes a substitute for tribal warfare - as stupid as that is its just a sad reality that has to be managed. thus i think its a great idea to ban all that stuff at those kinds of events because the risk of neanderthals getting all worked up and brawling is too great

its just so ridiculous to have to talk about the risk of serious violence at a sports entertainment event, but there it is

personally i think its great. nothing more retarded than lunatics getting in fights over entertainment choices. wait i cant say retarded. nothing more gay than lunatics getting in fights over entertainment choices. wait i cant say gay. dammit

fact is, im not at all homophobic or racist, i understand why homosexuals dont want you to use the word 'gay' to tease/taunt someone. but truth is words usually have many meanings depending on context. the word gay has come to mean lame and usually is used in that way without any reference to sexuality or offensiveness whatsoever. even the stronger word fag can be used without intending any moral judgment about sexual orientation. and besides, real homosexuals use that word all the freakin time. same thing with blacks and the ubiquitous 'nigga' - go to a rib joint in the hood and they use it a thousand times a minute to mean like five different things none of them offensive, but they dont want a white person to use it EVER, which is pretty fkd up when you really think about it

personally i think people should be able to say anything they want and be exposed by their own words. but that also means that the reciever has to be much more patient and discerning about determining real intent. most people fly off the handle at anything they think is remotely possible to be sexist, racist, or homophobic even when its not. they feel that certain words in certain situations should be banned, which of course causes its own problems often times more damaging than using those words in the first place

but when it comes to sports teams way too many people are crazy. sounds absurd for someone to get into a fight about who their favorite actor is, and yet thats exactly what happens thousands of times every single nfl sunday in american stadium parking lots and bars, not to mention at football/soccer events around the world every freakin day. somehow your favorite team becomes a substitute for tribal warfare - as stupid as that is its just a sad reality that has to be managed. thus i think its a great idea to ban all that stuff at those kinds of events because the risk of neanderthals getting all worked up and brawling is too great

its just so ridiculous to have to talk about the risk of serious violence at a sports entertainment event, but there it is

This, I agree with. I realize that the reason for the commonality of 'nigga' in the black community is an attempt to take ownership of the word. If the goal, though, is to limit the use of the word in a hateful sense, I can't think of anything more counter intuitive than to intentionally propagate it.

Then again, I've never been subject to hate speech so I might be missing some of the logic.

You really don't see the difference between a player dropping a slur and a fan? If a player says something to another player, they will have to deal with the consequences face to face.

Most fans who hurl slurs are drunk cowards. They yell from a safe distance or get tough behind a computer screen. They would crap their pants if they were actually confronted by a player.

I'm far from PC but defining the right to use racial slurs seems really silly to me. It's along the lines of white people complaining about not being able to use the n word because "they call themselves that."

In English football, the league has suspended players for several games if they are found to have made a racial slur during a game.

In English football, the league has suspended players for several games if they are found to have made a racial slur during a game.

And some (myself included) would argue that' the rule is absurd.

You really don't see the difference between a player dropping a slur and a fan? If a player says something to another player, they will have to deal with the consequences face to face.

Most fans who hurl slurs are drunk cowards. They yell from a safe distance or get tough behind a computer screen. They would crap their pants if they were actually confronted by a player.

I'm far from PC but defining the right to use racial slurs seems really silly to me. It's along the lines of white people complaining about not being able to use the n word because "they call themselves that."

And that would be a poor argument for why the word shouldn't be banished.

Words are words. How many rebranding efforts have certain "subjugated" groups gone through in the PC era? Has it "helped?"

Who's responsible for the plight groups find themselves in? Are they? Or does the fault belong to words that others use?

I would assert that resorting to the latter conclusion is positively absurd.

And that would be a poor argument for why the word shouldn't be banished.

Words are words. How many rebranding efforts have certain "subjugated" groups gone through in the PC era? Has it "helped?"

Who's responsible for the plight groups find themselves in? Are they? Or does the fault belong to words that others use?

I would assert that resorting to the latter conclusion is positively absurd.

Ok then, how about this...people should just be nice to one another.

I don't really care about political correctness. If somebody tells me that a word makes them uncomfortable, I'll find a different word to use.

If a large group of people takes the stance that a word is offensive for a logical reason, I'll take the time to spread that message.

In the particular case of homosexuals, yes, the sort of people that use "faggot" as a pejorative are generally responsible for their plight.

I'm cool with whatever lifestyle one chooses but I'm starting to get a little irritated with the gay community. First they claimed exclusive rights to refracted light, now they want to claim "faggot". Next thing you know they're going to claim Adam Levine & Express for Men. What gives?

the genesis of P C is a mindset that was put upon the populace by people who had too much time on their hands . i think the country is more polarized than ever as a result of P C. i am quite sure a great majority of people on this board have told, or heard, jokes that were politically incorrect, and went on living and did not become scarred as a result.i think the tired expression of "get a life " applies to the people who concern themselves with slurs or insults that may be hurled at a sporting event.

Edited by dwight in philly

the genesis of P C is a mindset that was put upon the populace by people who had too much time on their hands . i think the country is more polarized than ever as a result of P C. i am quite sure a great majority of people on this board have told, or heard, jokes that were politically incorrect, and went on living and did not become scarred as a result.i think the tired expression of "get a life " applies to the people who concern themselves with slurs or insults that may be hurled at a sporting event.

I think the mistake that you and others are making is that you assume every discussion about terminology (and how it relates to our treatment of each other) has a basis in PC.

Whether or not you choose to accept it, language can be caustic. I don't see how talking about it reasonably hurts anything. This whole thread has been reasonable IMO.

I think the mistake that you and others are making is that you assume every discussion about terminology (and how it relates to our treatment of each other) has a basis in PC.

Whether or not you choose to accept it, language can be caustic. I don't see how talking about it reasonably hurts anything. This whole thread has been reasonable IMO.

cue kumbaya..

OOH I think it's absurd to regulate speech this way at a football game, but OTH I won't bring kids under 10 to one for that reason. Because you want them to respect elders you need to keep them away from situations where elders are acting like boors. Beyond the awkwardness it can also be dangerous for youngens if fans get into rough stuff with each other.

Let's be clear about something: "political correctness" has NOTHING to do with banning these types of slurs.

NOTHING.

It is not "PC" to prohibit walking up to a black person and calling them a "n---er," just like it is not "PC" to prohibit calling a woman a "c-nt" or, for that matter, screaming "you f-cking a--hole" in a 4 year old's face. This type of thing falls under general common decency and trying to promote a more inclusive, family environment (which has been long overdue at the Ralph).

Being "PC" means, by contrast, making everything gender-neutral, banning the Pledge of Allegiance, insisting on the use of the term "African American," etc. - in short, it's being annoying to everyone for the sake of some special interest group's preference (not its self-esteem or supporting its right to exist).

I can't stand the PC crowd. But quite frankly, the anti-PC crowd is just as annoying - it's like some of you just think it's your God-given right to be bigoted a-holes to strangers. Not in a mature society, it isn't. Sorry.

this statement offends me as I am an atheist and don't like you pushing your or anyone's God on me..... :devil:

Let's be clear about something: "political correctness" has NOTHING to do with banning these types of slurs.

NOTHING.

It is not "PC" to prohibit walking up to a black person and calling them a "n---er," just like it is not "PC" to prohibit calling a woman a "c-nt" or, for that matter, screaming "you f-cking a--hole" in a 4 year old's face. This type of thing falls under general common decency and trying to promote a more inclusive, family environment (which has been long overdue at the Ralph).

Being "PC" means, by contrast, making everything gender-neutral, banning the Pledge of Allegiance, insisting on the use of the term "African American," etc. - in short, it's being annoying to everyone for the sake of some special interest group's preference (not its self-esteem or supporting its right to exist).

I can't stand the PC crowd. But quite frankly, the anti-PC crowd is just as annoying - it's like some of you just think it's your God-given right to be bigoted a-holes to strangers. Not in a mature society, it isn't. Sorry.

NOTHING.

Bravo

NOTHING.

i am totally anti - PC and i do not go up to strangers , shout racial slurs, etc.. "god given right" you say? sounds a bit like a bigoted, or at the very least, a judgemental statement.

Yea, that's just too crazy of an idea to work. ;)

That's what Jesus thought "Treat each other with respect and love because we are all children of God" and they crucified him. This world needs alot of work. The older I get, I now see the lunacy of most peoples behaviors regarding each other. Bills vs. Pats, Democrats vs. Republicans, Muslims vs. ???? whoever they don't like, India vs. Pakistan, etc, etc etc,

We are all people on the same planet, children of the same God, trying to exist and survive. Treat anyone you meet with respect and love because we are each others brothers and sisters.

Ok, I'm getting off my soap box now.