Oh man, we are SO boned.

#34fan

Wow. I didn't realize the Pats had 2 first round picks in this draft, as well as 2 second rounders. They also have more salary cap room than any other team in the AFC east. My link How do they frickin do it?! -So much of this game is about setting your franchise up for the future. What exactly does OBD keep getting wrong? Ralph doesn't seem to be involved in the day-to-day operations, so it can't be just "The owner".

This hit me pretty hard. -Even in football it seems the rich just get richer.

Edited by #34fan

Wow. I didn't realize the Pats had 2 first round picks in this draft, as well as 2 second rounders. They also have more salary cap room than any other team in the AFC east. My link How do they frickin do it?! -So much of this game is about setting your franchise up for the future. What exactly does OBD keep getting wrong? Ralph doesn't seem to be involved in the day-to-day operations, so it can't be just "The owner".

This hit me pretty hard. -Even in football it seems the rich just get richer.

They've had 2 1st rounds picks and 2 2nd round picks for like the past three years. Half the time they trade them back for a pick next year, which is why they always have 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks.

I agree with hindsight for the most part however with so many early round picks it can be a little scary considering they have had double the opportunities at stud players for the last few years.

At the same time they have sucked in recent years at picking and developing talent.

To the OP as far as how they manage to be so financially stable is the fact that they've had many early round draft picks in recent years yet they always trade back for more picks. Which is also reason to be less concerned since they will most likely keep trading back until someone gets them wet enough to get drafted.

It's also easier to stay under the cap when your good and good players will take less money to play for them because they feel it's the beat shot at a championship year in and year out.

I'd also point out that they will have lots of money tied up into Welker unless they let him walk which doesn't wouldn't suprise me. Either way we win out on the deal, if the Pata let him walk then we don't have to worry about him 2 times a year and makes the Pats much worse, if they sign him, he will demand a ton and will give them less for younger talent as well as employing a WR that is getti g up there in age and SHOULD only start to slow down in the next few years.

Eh the Pats FO doesnt really scare me anymore. Belicheck and Brady are the only thing keeping that team afloat. Their personal decisions have been so so lately. Julian Edelman, a converted QB---WR---DB is their nickel back

I agree. Their drafts haven't been so great since Pioli left. See outside LB's.

I agree with hindsight for the most part however with so many early round picks it can be a little scary considering they have had double the opportunities at stud players for the last few years.

At the same time they have sucked in recent years at picking and developing talent.

To the OP as far as how they manage to be so financially stable is the fact that they've had many early round draft picks in recent years yet they always trade back for more picks. Which is also reason to be less concerned since they will most likely keep trading back until someone gets them wet enough to get drafted.

It's also easier to stay under the cap when your good and good players will take less money to play for them because they feel it's the beat shot at a championship year in and year out.

I'd also point out that they will have lots of money tied up into Welker unless they let him walk which doesn't wouldn't suprise me. Either way we win out on the deal, if the Pata let him walk then we don't have to worry about him 2 times a year and makes the Pats much worse, if they sign him, he will demand a ton and will give them less for younger talent as well as employing a WR that is getti g up there in age and SHOULD only start to slow down in the next few years.

Understood. Still, considering their perrenial playoff presence, it seems a bit of an embarassment of riches. Welker may well be on his way to irrelevancy, but Gronk was one of those second rounders two years ago. And Aaron Henandez (a 4th rounder) ain't doing to bad either. This draft seems to have a lot of talent at the reciever, and DE/OLB position. If they ended up using 3 of those 4 early picks, -look out.

The entire civilized world knows that their D needs help. If they choose this draft to re-up, how does that NOT spell more years in the cellar for us?

yeah they have pretty weak drafts despite always being stocked up with picks. Gronk was a homerun for sure, and that corner is solid but for all the picks they've amassed they still just ride Brady every year and try to give him good protection.

Sound strategy, but I can't wait until Brady retires or goes on IR and Belichick goes back to his losing ways like he did before they hit the QB lottery. Don't give me the Cassel excuse, they had a good defense then and our division was easier than it is now.

Sound strategy, but I can't wait until Brady retires or goes on IR and Belichick goes back to his losing ways like he did before they hit the QB lottery. Don't give me the Cassel excuse, they had a good defense then and our division was easier than it is now.

"Don't give me a valid reason that would completely disprove my point."

Eh the Pats FO doesnt really scare me anymore. Belicheck and Brady are the only thing keeping that team afloat. Their personal decisions have been so so lately. Julian Edelman, a converted QB---WR---DB is their nickel back

3 of their DBs are on IR.

Understood. Still, considering their perrenial playoff presence, it seems a bit of an embarassment of riches. Welker may well be on his way to irrelevancy, us?

Really?? 122 catches, 1569 yards (12.9 per) and 9 TDs. He is by far the receptions leader in the league this year and just behind Megatron in total yards--easily his best year to date. All that while Gronk and Hernandez had their best years.

That's "on his way to irrelevancy"??

3 of their DBs are on IR.

Really?? 122 catches, 1569 yards (12.9 per) and 9 TDs. He is by far the receptions leader in the league this year and just behind Megatron in total yards--easily his best year to date. All that while Gronk and Hernandez had their best years.

I just want to bump your question. I can't wait for a answer.

Yet they continue to win, while the Bills continue to lose.

I'm sure getting lucky with a 6th pick has nothing to do with it.

As much as people want to break down teams and the drafts, it's pretty simple. You get an elite Qb, you have a good team. The Colts without one player gets the #1 pick.

Don't quote me out of context. I said "may well be" -That's IF he was ever cut loose for a younger option. It probably won't happen, -but it could. Welker's had some major ACL/MCL injuries. Either way, the statement was not that Welker was on his way to irrelevancy.

Edited by #34fan

NE* record

2011 First in AFC East

2010 First in AFC East

2009 First in AFC East

2008 Second in AFC East 11-5

2007 First in AFC East

2006 First in AFC East

2005 First in AFC East

2004 First in AFC East

2003 First in AFC East

2002 Second in AFC East 9-7

Buffalo record

2002 Last in AFC East

2003 Third in AFC East

2004 Third in AFC East

2005 Third in AFC East

2006 Third in AFC East

2007 Second in AFC East

2008 Last in AFC East

2009 Last in AFC East

2010 Last in AFC East

2011 Last in AFC East

Please do not make me ever have to do anything to defend that team again.

I'm going to take a shower.