2012 Draft Pass Rushers

Billsrhody

Alright so I wanted to find out the prototype for the best pass rushers in the league at OLB and DE.

At 3-4 OLB the best players seem on average 6-3, 260 and run somewhere around a 4.6 40. Whitney Mercilus (Illinois) seems to fit that mold almost exactly. He led the nation in sacks last year with 16 sacks and is projected as an early 2nd round draft pick. Courtney Upshaw doesn't really seem to fit the mold, although neither does James Harrison.

3-4 Defense

Ht Wt 40

Ware: 6-4, 260, 4.56

Harrison: 6-0, 242, 4.85

Matthews: 6-3, 255, 4.62

Suggs: 6-3, 260, 4.65

Hali: 6-3, 275, 4.75

Draft fits?

Mercilus: 6-4, 265, 4.65 (projected)

Upshaw: 6-2, 265, 4.76

For a 4-3 DE, the best players seem to be on average around 6-6, 275 and run a 4.7 40. Its scary how closely Quinton Coples fits that mold, which makes me think that he's the real deal. Right now he's projected as a top 10 pick. Melvin Ingram (South Carolina) also fits the mold. He's projected as a mid to late first round pick, but his stock may be on the rise.

4-3 Defense

Ht Wt 40

Peppers: 6-7, 287, 4.74

Allen: 6-6, 270, 4.72

Williams: 6-6, 283, 4.70

P-Paul: 6-5, 278, 4.71

Freeney: 6-1, 268, 4.53

Draft fits?

Coples: 6-6, 272, 4.75

Ingram: 6-2, 276, 4.72

The bills are in dire need of a pass rusher and I would love to see Coples fall to them at 10. If he doesnt though, the bills do have some other pretty good options. I would rather see them take Mercilus (in the second round) over Upshaw (in the first) if they plan to stay in a 3-4. Ingram might be a stretch at 10, but if they can trade down a few spots I would love to see him on the team.

I dont think any of these 4 guys are bad options and I think its likely we'll see one of them on the Bills in 2012.

Measurables are great and all but its hard to measure a guys drive. Thats why Harrison is so good

1st Coples DE/OLB

2nd Mercilus OLB

That would be a pretty decent start in my opinion. Our defenses is our biggest problem. People need to stop whining about Fitz and focus on our real problems.

I'd be delighted with Melvin Ingram, Nick Perry, Quinton Coples, or Whitney Mercilus. Any of these guys would be an immediate starter for us. While Ingram and Coples have improved their draft standing during Senior Bowl week, I suspect that Nick Perry will be a household name after the combine.

One of these guys has to be the pick at #10 IMO.

1st Coples DE/OLB

2nd Mercilus OLB

That would be a pretty decent start in my opinion. Our defenses is our biggest problem. People need to stop whining about Fitz and focus on our real problems.

That would be incredible, but I highly doubt Mercilus will make it to the 2nd round. I actually question whether or not he will make it to #10. Vinny Curry, DE/OLB from Marshall would be a great pick in round 2.

I'm too lazy and I'm finishing up work but could anyone post 1st round pass rushers drafted in the last 10 years? Fro some reason, I feel like there is a huge bust rate when picking these guys.

Personally, I won't mind 3 or 4 picks on pass rushers in this draft. As the Giants proved, you can never have enough and you can find gems in later rounds (Jared Allen, Tuck, Wake).

I'm too lazy and I'm finishing up work but could anyone post 1st round pass rushers drafted in the last 10 years? Fro some reason, I feel like there is a huge bust rate when picking these guys.

Personally, I won't mind 3 or 4 picks on pass rushers in this draft. As the Giants proved, you can never have enough and you can find gems in later rounds (Jared Allen, Tuck, Wake).

Just off the top of my head..

Busts:

Aaron curry, Aaron Maybin, Vernon Gholston

Hits:

Pierre-Paul, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Chris Long, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Brian Orakpo. I believe Tamba Hali was a 1st rounder too.

I'm sure there's many more busts, but I'm not sure about ones picked in the top 10

I think there is a huge "bust rate" on most NFL first rounders, but you're right it seems like there are a lot of 1st round pass rushers that fall flat.

The bottom line is it's hard to find a great one no matter where you pick. Brian Orakpo had only 3.5 more sacks than Marcell Dareus this year, and Clay Matthews only had half a sack more than big 99, and he's obviously not even a pass rusher.

These are guys that are better NFL pass rushers than anyone in this year's draft class. I know sack stats don't tell the whole story, and that pressures or drawing double teams can change the game just as much as a sack, but my point is even when you guess right it doesn't mean you automatically win.

I agree with your approach of picking up 3 pass rushers in the draft. I thought they would take Coples but then I read that although Coples has the most overall talent of any 4-3 defensive end in the class he had a disappointing senior season in which some say he lacked effort and drive on some plays.

At 6'5'' and 281 pounds, he already has an NFL body and is a terrific athlete who can rush the quarterback, play the run well and shed blocks but if he's not motivated as a senior knowing he's going to be a first rounder if he does well, how motivated is he going to be when he gets his $18M guarantee and starts playing on a poorly ranked defense.

I think Nix will pass on this dude, although if Wanny wants to go 4-3 then we might have to roll the dice on him at the 10 pick.....

Edited by Webster Guy

Busts:

Hits:

Pierre-Paul, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Chris Long, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Brian Orakpo. I believe Tamba Hali was a 1st rounder too.

I'm sure there's many more busts, but I'm not sure about ones picked in the top 10

Add Ryan Kerrigan, Clay Matthews, Terrell Suggs, Adrian Clayborn, and Jevon Kearse to the list of guys who've produced on the field.

I think there is a huge "bust rate" on most NFL first rounders, but you're right it seems like there are a lot of 1st round pass rushers that fall flat.

The bottom line is it's hard to find a great one no matter where you pick. Brian Orakpo had only 3.5 more sacks than Marcell Dareus this year, and Clay Matthews only had half a sack more than big 99, and he's obviously not even a pass rusher.

These are guys that are better NFL pass rushers than anyone in this year's draft class. I know sack stats don't tell the whole story, and that pressures or drawing double teams can change the game just as much as a sack, but my point is even when you guess right it doesn't mean you automatically win.

I agree with your approach of picking up 3 pass rushers in the draft. I thought they would take Coples but then I read that although Coples has the most overall talent of any 4-3 defensive end in the class he had a disappointing senior season in which some say he lacked effort and drive on some plays.

At 6'5'' and 281 pounds, he already has an NFL body and is a terrific athlete who can rush the quarterback, play the run well and shed blocks but if he's not motivated as a senior knowing he's going to be a first rounder if he does well, how motivated is he going to be when he gets his $18M guarantee and starts playing on a poorly ranked defense.

I think Nix will pass on this dude, although if Wanny wants to go 4-3 then we might have to roll the dice on him at the 10 pick.....

Terrific, well thought out post, and I agree on all points. I share your concern pertaining to Coples "turning it on" to impress scouts and earn his payday, only to flop after he puts 18 million dollars in the bank. I have heard that Coples was frequently played out of position this year at UNC (played a lot of 4-3 DT), so I am hoping that this was the reason for the drop off in production.

Obviously we dont know everything about these prospects and I'm sure we'll learn alot more with the combine coming up and all that talk that takes place after the superbowl. Coples does seem to have the physical tools to be an absolute monster though. You have to hope that he can be coached in the right way to reach his full potential.

1st Coples DE/OLB

2nd Mercilus OLB

I think Mercilus will be long gone by round 2. Defensive lineman always go higher than expected and I think that he is going to wow them at the combine.

Busts:

Hits:

I think even more to support your point, I don't think many thought Aaron Curry was a pass rusher. He was supposed to be this

fantastic all-around OLB, but not necessarily a dominant pass rusher.

Good post. I did a quick search of NFL drafts and it's very mixed. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=DL&type=position

Some of the busts in the last 5 years: Derrick Harvey, Graham, Tyson Jackson (though he wasn't really a pass rusher), Derrick Morgam, Jerry Hughes, Larry English, Lawrence Jackson, Gaines Adams, Carriker, Jamaal Anderson, Jarvis Moss.

That's just from the last 5 years and just the DEs (a guy like Robert Ayers is listed as LB). That's awful. I know we all think the Bills are the worst scouting team ever, but it appears the league struggles to scout pass rushers. Given this information, a guy like Coples scares the hell out of me. Especially given the motivation issues you listed.

Upshaw may not be the flashiest pick but he might be the safest.

Good post. I did a quick search of NFL drafts and it's very mixed. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=DL&type=position

Some of the busts in the last 5 years: Derrick Harvey, Graham, Tyson Jackson (though he wasn't really a pass rusher), Derrick Morgam, Jerry Hughes, Larry English, Lawrence Jackson, Gaines Adams, Carriker, Jamaal Anderson, Jarvis Moss.

That's just from the last 5 years and just the DEs (a guy like Robert Ayers is listed as LB). That's awful. I know we all think the Bills are the worst scouting team ever, but it appears the league struggles to scout pass rushers. Given this information, a guy like Coples scares the hell out of me. Especially given the motivation issues you listed.

Upshaw may not be the flashiest pick but he might be the safest.

I don't think Upshaw makes it to pick #10. Seems like he is climbing up just about all the draft boards I've read.