Dwight Schrute spin-off

Buftex

(Yes I bumped a one year old thread, mainly because it's specific to what I wanted to bring up)

If you watched this last weeks episode, I guess you could say we now know what the Dwight spinoff would have been like, a comedy version of The Waltons. The extended family, living/working on a farm, even the cute "city" kid that will be shown the ways of the country.

Despite some iPhone autocorrects and such I stand by the original take - although they have clearly tried to bring Dwight slightly back to reality the last year.

It's just really hard to develop the heart that makes these shows hook people when the very foundation is so out in left field.

Can make for a funny episode but year in and year out I can't see people tuning in to see Dwight's cast of characters.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Office has jumped the shark. That Erin girl is annoying. Jim and Pam as a couple are boring as hell (people in relationships aren't funny). I hate the new boss and everyone else just blends in.

The show had a great run though and the re-runs rank up there with any sitcom.

agree to disagree on Erin.......her dullness is part of her act.....i think she's hilarious and like others have said she's pretty cute as well.

i would enjoy a spinoff where Creed and Stanley start working together at a new company. Dwight is okay but bores me sometimes, not so sure I will be all in on the Dwight's beet farm show.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

(Yes I bumped a one year old thread, mainly because it's specific to what I wanted to bring up)

If you watched this last weeks episode, I guess you could say we now know what the Dwight spinoff would have been like, a comedy version of The Waltons. The extended family, living/working on a farm, even the cute "city" kid that will be shown the ways of the country.

Huh...I stopped watching the show after the last (awful, IMO) Halloween episode. I just figured I would catch them in syndication at some point... I was under the impression that the Schrute spin-off was not going to happen. Although they kind of neutered the character, I would still give the spinoff a shot.

I thought they pulled the plug on the spinoff show.

maybe this was an attempt to get whatever viewers the show has left interested in a spinoff to get NBC back in?

All I can think of after watching that last episode was that they were giving everyone the pilot/setup for the spinoff.

I always regret wasting my time watching the office since Carrell left...........

maybe this was an attempt to get whatever viewers the show has left interested in a spinoff to get NBC back in?

All I can think of after watching that last episode was that they were giving everyone the pilot/setup for the spinoff.

I always regret wasting my time watching the office since Carrell left...........

I just did a quick google search and a ton of article popped up saying that NBC passed on the spinoff. They were all dated on October 29th. One story from January said that they decided to air the pilot that was shot as an actual Office episode. I didn't watch this week, but it sounds like that is what happened.

I just did a quick google search and a ton of article popped up saying that NBC passed on the spinoff. They were all dated on October 29th. One story from January said that they decided to air the pilot that was shot as an actual Office episode. I didn't watch this week, but it sounds like that is what happened.

That would explain it then, because it really was what you would expect for a pilot of a TV show, and had very little to do with "The Office" (I don't even remember a subplot, the only thing "Office" related was teh start when Dwight goes around throwing dirt to let people know if they are invited to his Aunts funeral)

My guess would be, since the show is on life support right now, and ending, they already had these shows filmed, or written, anticipating the spin-off. They weren't going to waste them. Too bad. Sad to see a really good show hold on for too long. The first season, after Carrell left, had a few "decent" episodes, but was mostly bad. I watched, about the first 8 this seaon, and it was really terrible. I was surprised to see (though it means little) that Bryan Cranston directed a few of them.

Ed Helms character was so funny when he was introduced as "anger-managed Andy"...but the character just morphed into one of the worst ever. I suppose they thought, based on "the Hangover" he could carry the show, like Carrell did...not even close.

Edited by Buftex

That would explain it then, because it really was what you would expect for a pilot of a TV show, and had very little to do with "The Office" (I don't even remember a subplot, the only thing "Office" related was teh start when Dwight goes around throwing dirt to let people know if they are invited to his Aunts funeral)

The sub-plot was the drug topped cupcakes from Packer, seemed more of a time-filler than anything useful.

The episode was titled "The Farm", it's available on Hulu...

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/467604

It's called a back-door pilot in the biz... mitigates risk by folding the budget (partially) into the flagship's budget and serves as a bridge for the target audience to follow to the new show. It happens a lot. NCIS LA is doing one this week with Corbet and someone else (I forget who), Criminal Minds did one a few years ago for their spin off, ditto with the various CSIs.

Calling it now: The Office will wrap up its series with a Jim/Pam divorce.

That's the only thing left to salvage the shreds of credibility it clings to now.

my bet - they go to the premiere of the documentary and fall in love again.

I saw that and found it funny, a spin-off of a spin-off. How many times does that happen?

I know, right? I laughed at that too. I think it's the first that I recall happening, not counting reality tv shows where that's probably happened a few times.

my bet - they go to the premiere of the documentary and fall in love again.

I figured that they would reveal that Kevin is the producer of the documentary and is really just acting like a moron. That they will follow him back to his penthouse condo in NYC and he goes to the opera or something.

I know, right? I laughed at that too. I think it's the first that I recall happening, not counting reality tv shows where that's probably happened a few times.

"All in the Family" spun off "Maude" which spun off "Good Times". That's probably the most notable 2nd generation spin-off. "All in the Family" also spun off "The Jeffersons". Marla Gibbs (Florence the maid) had her own show spun off ("Checking In") but that was cancelled after 4 episodes and she returned to the show.