Dwight Schrute spin-off

Buftex

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's awful. Spinoffs don't usually work with main characters. If they really want to do a spinoff, they should go ridiculously obscure and go with Creed.

Only ones that I can think of that worked, was "Frasier", and, to an extent "Rhoda". "Trapper John, MD" and "Lou Grant" were successful, but those were sitcom characters who went to dramas. Poor Lou Grant, the prime time casteration of one of the great sitcom characters of all time...they turned Lou Grant into Haweye Pierce... :sick:

The Office has jumped the shark. That Erin girl is annoying. Jim and Pam as a couple are boring as hell (people in relationships aren't funny). I hate the new boss and everyone else just blends in.

The show had a great run though and the re-runs rank up there with any sitcom.

The Office has jumped the shark. That Erin girl is annoying. Jim and Pam as a couple are boring as hell (people in relationships aren't funny). I hate the new boss and everyone else just blends in.

The show had a great run though and the re-runs rank up there with any sitcom.

I think Erin is super cute! And, I like the new boss, Robert California...they just don't seem to find anything for him to do... I agree about Pam & Jim, but I think the weakest link, unfortunately, has become the Andy Bernard. The perfect example of what happnes when the secondary characters are made to carry a show...his character went from being the funny, agressive guy, to a pathetic, whining wimp. I am afraid a Dwight Schrute show would ruin another great character...and I have little doubt that it would bomb.

The Office will be done in about a year, or two at best. It went downhill once Steve Carrell left. It's never a good sign when you're talking spin off. That usually means the main show is on its way out the door. It was a good run though!!

The Office will be done in about a year, or two at best. It went downhill once Steve Carrell left. It's never a good sign when you're talking spin off. That usually means the main show is on its way out the door. It was a good run though!!

I still get a chuckle or two out of it, but this season, the first without Carrell, there have really only been 1 or 2 top notch episodes. The worst was the one where they went to Gettysburg for a "field trip".

I still get a chuckle or two out of it, but this season, the first without Carrell, there have really only been 1 or 2 top notch episodes. The worst was the one where they went to Gettysburg for a "field trip".

That's how I feel. As most of us know, this show used to be a laugh a minute, and some of the humor was really sharp. I'm definitely in Carrell withdrawal. I like the Spader addition, but the show just isn't the same. I would definitely watch a Dwight spinoff to start, but they would have to really be careful about the supporting cast and the writing.

That's how I feel. As most of us know, this show used to be a laugh a minute, and some of the humor was really sharp. I'm definitely in Carrell withdrawal. I like the Spader addition, but the show just isn't the same. I would definitely watch a Dwight spinoff to start, but they would have to really be careful about the supporting cast and the writing.

I just worry that he's too far out there for a spinoff. Dwight works as a weird guy in normal situations. With his brother and the beat farm there's high potential for him to end up as the normal guy in totally unrealistic situations. His brother just doesn't strike means feasible over a longer showing as the biggest red flag.

I just worry that he's too far out there for a spinoff. Dwight works as a weird guy in normal situations. With his brother and the beat farm there's high potential for him to end up as the normal guy in totally unrealistic situations. His brother just doesn't strike means feasible over a longer showing as the biggest red flag.

Beat Farm?? Do the farmers wear berets and recite poetry?

The other issue, part of what makes Dwight so funny is that he is very off-center, and kind of an a-hole, a lot of the times. If he is going to carry a show, inevitably, they will try to soften him up a bit, to make him more likeable. I kind of think, to a degree, that is what happened to the Andy Bernard character.

The other issue, part of what makes Dwight so funny is that he is very off-center, and kind of an a-hole, a lot of the times. If he is going to carry a show, inevitably, they will try to soften him up a bit, to make him more likeable. I kind of think, to a degree, that is what happened to the Andy Bernard character.

It seems like we know everything there is to know already about Dwight. The beet farm would really even be a new setting for him. Frasier worked because we really didn't know anything about his life on Cheers other than Lilith and the psychologist job. They were all completely new characters and Seattle was a completely new setting. If they wanted an Office spinoff, they'd be better off going with someone who they could have a clean slate with. Like I said earlier, Creed is the most obscure (and wow could they have some fun with that), but other than that, they might have some decent material for someone like Stanley or Kevin.

It seems like we know everything there is to know already about Dwight. The beet farm would really even be a new setting for him. Frasier worked because we really didn't know anything about his life on Cheers other than Lilith and the psychologist job. They were all completely new characters and Seattle was a completely new setting. If they wanted an Office spinoff, they'd be better off going with someone who they could have a clean slate with. Like I said earlier, Creed is the most obscure (and wow could they have some fun with that), but other than that, they might have some decent material for someone like Stanley or Kevin.

100% agreed.

Though I'm not sure the world is ready for too much Creed. I could be mistaken but I think the Myans said a Creed spinoff was one of the first signs of the end of the world ...

Well, they could have Dwight get a job at the corporate office, or head another branch... but, I think, no matter what they do...it is just a bad idea. Does anyone remember "Radar" or "After-M*A*S*H"? I didn't think so.

Well, they could have Dwight get a job at the corporate office, or head another branch... but, I think, no matter what they do...it is just a bad idea. Does anyone remember "Radar" or "After-M*A*S*H"? I didn't think so.

I believe the plan is running his bed and breakfast on the farm.

100% agreed.

Though I'm not sure the world is ready for too much Creed. I could be mistaken but I think the Myans said a Creed spinoff was one of the first signs of the end of the world ...

Yeah, a spinoff would never work, but I would absolutely love to find out Creed's back story, especially since he claimed that he stole the Creed Bratton identity.

What I always loved about Creed was that he always got/gets the absolute most value from his face time. Whoever wrote his character came up with some of the wittiest and most interesting dialogue of the show, IMO. The only way this could be accomplished on a regular basis in a spin-off would be to find a writer who could capture the essence of the character and has the supreme ability to extract further greatness from him. There is maybe only one writer in the world who could pull that off, and I hear TGreg is currently unavailable.

post-4346-018859100 1327958540_thumb.jpg

:lol: Even the amazingly sexy Drea De'Mateo, who I had a huge thing for from her time on the Sopranos, couldn't get me back to watch a second episode of that piece of dookie. (As to whether I watched the first episode, I plead the fifth!)

Seems like the kind of thing that would be funny if it were only for 6 episodes like the British Office. If it gets a full 20+ episode season, it'll be dead by episode 8.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 6 episode mini series for almost all the characters actually. Creed, Dwight, Toby, and Andy could have just enough left in the tank to give us something good.