Dwight Schrute spin-off

Buftex

Seems like the kind of thing that would be funny if it were only for 6 episodes like the British Office. If it gets a full 20+ episode season, it'll be dead by episode 8.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 6 episode mini series for almost all the characters actually. Creed, Dwight, Toby, and Andy could have just enough left in the tank to give us something good.

One of my favorite "bits" (for lack of better term) was Michael Scotts' ongoing complete disdain for Toby... I had similar feelings for the HR person at one of my jobs, where I was a manager. The writers and the guy who played Toby had that dynamic down perfect. I always got a kick out of it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like the kind of thing that would be funny if it were only for 6 episodes like the British Office. If it gets a full 20+ episode season, it'll be dead by episode 8.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 6 episode mini series for almost all the characters actually. Creed, Dwight, Toby, and Andy could have just enough left in the tank to give us something good.

They do a lot of that in online shorts and webisodes

That's how I feel. As most of us know, this show used to be a laugh a minute, and some of the humor was really sharp. I'm definitely in Carrell withdrawal. I like the Spader addition, but the show just isn't the same. I would definitely watch a Dwight spinoff to start, but they would have to really be careful about the supporting cast and the writing.

It seems like "The Office" is coming closer to an end. A Dwight Schrute spin-off, and now this:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2012/01/mindy-kalings-nbc-project-is-headed-to-fox.html

It seems like "The Office" is coming closer to an end. A Dwight Schrute spin-off, and now this:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2012/01/mindy-kalings-nbc-project-is-headed-to-fox.html

Wow, that's interesting. I actually find her one of the more marketable stars on the show, so I wouldn't be surprised if this show found an audience. NBC may regret letting her look around for a willing partner at Fox...should be interesting.

What you said earlier is actually a great idea, IMO. A series of short-run spinoffs, each one pertaining to a different character. I like it!

Wow, that's interesting. I actually find her one of the more marketable stars on the show, so I wouldn't be surprised if this show found an audience. NBC may regret letting her look around for a willing partner at Fox...should be interesting.

What you said earlier is actually a great idea, IMO. A series of short-run spinoffs, each one pertaining to a different character. I like it!

Yeah, I think Mindy is pretty damn funny...not to mention that she is one of the writers...I had noticed her character in the show a bit less this season.

Yeah, I think Mindy is pretty damn funny...not to mention that she is one of the writers...I had noticed her character in the show a bit less this season.

I didn't know she was doing some of the writing...that makes me like her even more

I didn't know she was doing some of the writing...that makes me like her even more

I suppose it's what they're going for with her, but I absolutely hate her character. She's just a despicable human being. Other characters probably are too, but I've never gotten many laughs out of anything Kelly does.

I suppose it's what they're going for with her, but I absolutely hate her character. She's just a despicable human being. Other characters probably are too, but I've never gotten many laughs out of anything Kelly does.

lol, I can understand that. I think I found her most funny when she was caught up in her various love interests on the show...Her neuroses provided some funny moments at times, I though.

She, BJ Novak and the actor who plays Toby are actually the principal writers and have been for a very long time.

Her character has been reduced because she actually took on an active role behind the camera, directing and producing many episodes over the past two seasons.

Girl is talented.

* Correction - she's actually the executive producer now.

Edited by Heels20X6

She, BJ Novak and the actor who plays Toby are actually the principal writers and have been for a very long time.

Her character has been reduced because she actually took on an active role behind the camera, directing and producing many episodes over the past two seasons.

Girl is talented.

* Correction - she's actually the executive producer now.

Whoa, I've been a fan of the show all these years and had no idea...that is very impressive. I think one thing I've loved most about this show is the way each character is just such a, well, character! Everyone is so distinct in terms of their personalities and quirks, and the way they have always written the interactions has always made for great laughs. I was watching a clip last night back when they all thought Kevin was mentally challenged...I almost peed myself a few times with those story lines.

Whoa, I've been a fan of the show all these years and had no idea...that is very impressive. I think one thing I've loved most about this show is the way each character is just such a, well, character! Everyone is so distinct in terms of their personalities and quirks, and the way they have always written the interactions has always made for great laughs. I was watching a clip last night back when they all thought Kevin was mentally challenged...I almost peed myself a few times with those story lines.

Yeah, that was funny as hell!

I think the Kelly character is hilarious... she reminds of way too many people I have worked with, over the years in, well... offices.

Actually, I think all the characters are pretty great...Angela is pretty damn funny too!

Edited by Buftex

Yeah, that was funny as hell!

I think the Kelly character is hilarious... she reminds of way too many people I have worked with, over the years in, well... offices.

Actually, I think all the characters are pretty great...Angela is pretty damn funny too!

The girl who plays Angela is NOTHING like that in real life, and that is very impressive. I saw her on Letterman a while ago and it was so weird...I kept expecting her to turn all smug and go high-brow on Dave, but she was just as outgoing and kind as possible. What a contrast! Same with Kevin, actually. He's very articulate in real life...he does a great job getting into character...but you're right, they're all really solid!

I wish they had drawn out that storyline with Kevin a bit longer. There was so much potential there. And as for the characters, I've already mentioned Creed, but I've always been a Stanley fan. I don't know what it is, but I always enjoy any word he says.

I wish they had drawn out that storyline with Kevin a bit longer. There was so much potential there. And as for the characters, I've already mentioned Creed, but I've always been a Stanley fan. I don't know what it is, but I always enjoy any word he says.

lol, totally agree...Stanley rules!

I think the only character I've never really gotten into was Packer, Michael Scott's wingman. I've seen that actor in a few films and at times found him mildly amusing, but his role on the office just never connected with me.

This thread has me thinking about a lot of the great moments from the show's past...I know a lot of people feel it jumped the shark a few yeares ago, but I enjoyed it pretty consistenly right up until the end of last season.

IMHO, two of the best African-American sitcoms in history were spin-offs:

(1) "The Jeffersons" spun from "All in the Family".

(2) "Good Times" spun from "Maude".

"Fraiser" was probably the best spin-off of all time and "Wings" might not have met the true definition of spin-off but was also from the "Cheers" folks. However, let's not forget that "Cheers" also spun-off "The Tortellis". Nobody bats 1.000.

"The Office" was a terrific show for a lot of years, but it just ran out of steam. I like the fact that the single-camera documentary format gave us two more greats shows: (1) "Modern Family" and (2) "Parks and Recreation".

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I think Erin is super cute! And, I like the new boss, Robert California...they just don't seem to find anything for him to do... I agree about Pam & Jim, but I think the weakest link, unfortunately, has become the Andy Bernard. The perfect example of what happnes when the secondary characters are made to carry a show...his character went from being the funny, agressive guy, to a pathetic, whining wimp. I am afraid a Dwight Schrute show would ruin another great character...and I have little doubt that it would bomb.

Huge Office fan here, but I only gave it the fist few shows this season & had to let it go, I just can't stand Spader/California. I may go back & catch up after it hits Blu-ray, but right now, I'm not interested. I might check out the Dwight show... then again, I never watched the Kramer show, so hard telling.

Huge Office fan here, but I only gave it the fist few shows this season & had to let it go, I just can't stand Spader/California. I may go back & catch up after it hits Blu-ray, but right now, I'm not interested. I might check out the Dwight show... then again, I never watched the Kramer show, so hard telling.

I think Spaders' character is pretty damn funny, but they really seem to have painted themselves into a corner with him, being at the "corporate" level... I think it would work much better if he simpy had been Michael Scott's character. They just seem to have to have these extra convoluted story lines to get him into the show. I really don't think the new season is quite the disaster as it has been portrayed by some...but yeah, it is showing some ware.

I never knew there was a Kramer show...did it last more than 2 weeks?

btw- off-off topic, but I know you are a big blu-ray fanatic, and have good taste in music...if you haven't seen it yet, I would recommend the first season of "Treme" on blu-ray. It looks amazing, and the music just sucks you in...what is extra cool, they have a directors' commentary for each episode (which I normally only have minimal interest in) and then, a separate "music commentary" where they discuss all the music in that particular episode...really nice touch. HBO blu-rays aren't cheap, but they are worth it...the "Boardwalk Empire" blu-ray is pretty outstanding too. Santa was good to me this year! ;)

I think Spaders' character is pretty damn funny, but they really seem to have painted themselves into a corner with him, being at the "corporate" level... I think it would work much better if he simpy had been Michael Scott's character. They just seem to have to have these extra convoluted story lines to get him into the show. I really don't think the new season is quite the disaster as it has been portrayed by some...but yeah, it is showing some ware.

I never knew there was a Kramer show...did it last more than 2 weeks?

btw- off-off topic, but I know you are a big blu-ray fanatic, and have good taste in music...if you haven't seen it yet, I would recommend the first season of "Treme" on blu-ray. It looks amazing, and the music just sucks you in...what is extra cool, they have a directors' commentary for each episode (which I normally only have minimal interest in) and then, a separate "music commentary" where they discuss all the music in that particular episode...really nice touch. HBO blu-rays aren't cheap, but they are worth it...the "Boardwalk Empire" blu-ray is pretty outstanding too. Santa was good to me this year! ;)

I looked it up, I was wrong. It was "The Michael Richards Show" but he didn't play Kramer.

http://en.wikipedia....l_Richards_Show

In 2000, after the end of Seinfeld, Richards began work on a new series for NBC, his first major project since Seinfeld's high-profile finale. The Michael Richards Show, for which the actor received co-writer and co-executive producer credits, was originally conceived as a comedy/mystery starring Richards as a bumbling private investigator. However, after the first pilot failed with test audiences, NBC ordered that the show be retooled into a more conventional, office-based sitcom before its premiere. After a few weeks of poor ratings and negative reviews, it was canceled.

Thanks, I will have to check Treme out, I also got Boardwalk Empire when it was on sale the 1st week, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I agree, HBO sets are the best, I also want to check out Game Of Thrones coming out soon. Not HBO, but I just finished Season 2 of Breaking Bad, great stuff... I know there's a big thread on it here, but I haven't clicked on it, don't want to be spoiled.

Even more OT, but yesterday the Stones released Hampton 81 (audio only) for download, sound blows away all the boots.

http://www.stonesarchivestore.com/

Like Brussels, only MP3's are for sale in the US, but the flacs are up on Usenet.

I haven't been interested in watching the office for probably the last 2 seasons. I used to watch every week, now I can't even watch it anymore. Spader and his character are horrible and everything now just seems too far-fetched/unrealistic unlike the first few seasons where it seemed like this could be a real office

• 1 year later...

I just worry that he's too far out there for a spinoff. Dwight works as a weird guy in normal situations. With his brother and the beat farm there's high potential for him to end up as the normal guy in totally unrealistic situations. His brother just doesn't strike means feasible over a longer showing as the biggest red flag.

The other issue, part of what makes Dwight so funny is that he is very off-center, and kind of an a-hole, a lot of the times. If he is going to carry a show, inevitably, they will try to soften him up a bit, to make him more likeable. I kind of think, to a degree, that is what happened to the Andy Bernard character.

(Yes I bumped a one year old thread, mainly because it's specific to what I wanted to bring up)

If you watched this last weeks episode, I guess you could say we now know what the Dwight spinoff would have been like, a comedy version of The Waltons. The extended family, living/working on a farm, even the cute "city" kid that will be shown the ways of the country.