The Cheatriots strike again. Cundiff didn't know what down it was.

If that happened, it's probably because the scoreboard operator thought the first down play resulted in another 1st down (which I thought it should have and that Boldin got a poor spot).

Regardless, the Ravens coaching staff should be able to count to 4 without help from the scoreboard.

I love the comment can you really put anything past them?....lol...If down indicator was one down behind for the drive or series it isn't at ALL unreasonable to assume that it may have had a negative impact and effected play calling. Players and coaches juts like all of us have gotten used to technology. You can see players look up at the big board on break out runs like it is a rear mirror. Is it that unreasonable to think that they might look at the down and distance markers that are lit up with that info?

The patriots had nothing to do with this, any assertion otherwise is just conspiracy theory BS. Every single fan watching at home knew what down it was, the coaches knew what down it was, Billy Cundiff must have been too busy listening to Hanson on his iPod to pay attention to the actual game. Besides, shouldn't the ST coach be making sure his players are ready for the most important play of the game?

The worst part about this whole thing is that Baltimore had a time out...If there was ANY confusion on the most important play of the game why not use it? Instead the game ended with it still on the board. The blame for this play can be split equally between Harbaugh (and the ST's coach) and Cundiff...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If the player and team knows what down it is based on the scoreboard. Then the team and players are morons and deserve to lose.

There is a big number right on top of the chains 1-4, so like um, there is no freaking excuse.

They should have called a timout anyway.

There was no reason to rush.

That was doubly stupid.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The patriots had nothing to do with this, any assertion otherwise is just conspiracy theory BS. Every single fan watching at home knew what down it was, the coaches knew what down it was, Billy Cundiff must have been too busy listening to Hanson on his iPod to pay attention to the actual game. Besides, shouldn't the ST coach be making sure his players are ready for the most important play of the game?

The worst part about this whole thing is that Baltimore had a time out...If there was ANY confusion on the most important play of the game why not use it? Instead the game ended with it still on the board. The blame for this play can be split equally between Harbaugh (and the ST's coach) and Cundiff...

Agreed. They were rushing to get lined up for the kick because they let the play clock run down. With a timeout in your pocket there was no excuse not to slow things down and get it right. Hang this one on the ST coach or HC (although when the TV announcer put the hex on the kicker by saying something like "he's made 18 or 18 in the 4th quarter this season" I knew he was going to miss) :devil: .

Agreed. I hate New England as much as the next guy but seriously this is grasping at straws. They still had a timeout left & Cundiff should of had his head in the game & knew what down it was. I mean wasn't he paying attention? After all it was only the AFC championship game. If I am Newsome, I cut Cundiff like yesterday.

I was so confused as I watched Cundiff rush up to his place and not have a moment to gather him. Not calling a timeout there is terrible. I kick he needs to make even if rushing onto the field, but better to take a timeout or even a delay than to kick it without everybody being 100% ready. Glad it wasn't us.

If I am Harbaughs boss I would need a pretty good explanation on what happened there and how it won't ever happen again.

Drops happen, missed kicks happen. Looking all out of sorts and disorganized on an all or nothing play that determines whether you keep playing for the superbowl or get disqualified?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

As much as I hate the cheating Pats, and love a good conspiracy theory, this is still all on the Ravens, Harbaugh, and Cundiff. I guarantee SOMEONE involved with the Ravens playcalling knew exactly what down it was. Still dont understand why they didnt call timeout...

"When Cataldi asked Brown if he thought the Patriots did it it on purpose to gain an advantage, Brown replied, “I don’t think you can rule anything out in New England, can you?"

Hopfully those of you here [many] that can't make a post without throwing in a the Pats* cheated remark note how cry baby that sounds.

Sour grapes. They should have called a timeout no matter what down it was.

That was an enormous coach(ing) mistake. Second place award goes to the kicker, for not calling a timeout when everyone clearly was rushing too get the kick off.

It is something that should only happen in pre-season garbage time field goal trys. Even then it shouldn't happen. Cost them a trip too the super bowl.

"When Cataldi asked Brown if he thought the Patriots did it it on purpose to gain an advantage, Brown replied, “I don’t think you can rule anything out in New England, can you?"

Hopfully those of you here [many] that can't make a post without throwing in a the Pats* cheated remark note how cry baby that sounds.

I don't waste much time on the pats and spygate (unless i'm busting on one of my friends, anyway), but the flip side of the argument is that had BB and the boys not spygated, they'd have the moral high ground here. As it stands, they earned the comment. But you're right, it's on the Ravens.

As much as I hate the cheating Pats, and love a good conspiracy theory, this is still all on the Ravens, Harbaugh, and Cundiff. I guarantee SOMEONE involved with the Ravens playcalling knew exactly what down it was. Still dont understand why they didnt call timeout...

The team surely did. Cundiff stands back behind the crowd warming up. He isn't watching the game or possibly able to see the sticks. He looks up to the board. I'm amazed there's nobody hooked to his hip to make sure nothing happens like this but I'm not shocked hearing the story. You'd think a former special teams coach would be better prepped for this very moment.

Agreed. I hate New England as much as the next guy but seriously this is grasping at straws. They still had a timeout left & Cundiff should of had his head in the game & knew what down it was. I mean wasn't he paying attention? After all it was only the AFC championship game. If I am Newsome, I cut Cundiff like yesterday.

I'd personally rather my kicker preps and has routines than watches and cheerleads. I almost want his head out of the game and someone telling him when it's his time

WTF? This is one of the most ridulous excuses I've ever heard. It rates right up there with the dog ate my homework.

The bottom line is Cundiff has achip shot field goal to tie with under 20 seconds to go. Make it and stay alive. The score board lights could be out or flashing "F U Cundiff" and the fans all mooning him, what difference does it make? You got an easy kick to stay alive... and you choked. If it were a 50 yarder, no one would say anything if it had been missed from that distance, but 32 flippin yards? That odds of missing a field goal at that distance is probably less than 5 percent. It takes three to tango on a filed goal attempt. The snap was good, the hold was good, but the kick sucked.