Life will be difficult for Buddy Nix this year.

Justice

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . I beleive the Bills said that if they don't spend to the Cap with Cash to Cap, the amount they didn't spend will carry over to the next year giving them additional "cap" money to spend?. . .

Although the 2011 CBA does have a provision that allows teams to elect to carry over unused salary cap room from 2011 to 2012, I don't recall seeing anything saying that the Bills plan to actually do that. It's certainly possible that the Bills said something like that and I just missed it. Do you have a link?

If I'm the GM of the Bills and Ralph is giving me a $14.5 million budget (the Bills' remaining cap space in 2012) to sign and re-sign some free agents, this would be my plan:

CLEAR CAP SPACE

The very first order of business would be to dedicate ourselves to the 43 defense. Once I've done that, I can proceed to cut the fat on the roster. I'd release Mcgee($2.1M), Kelsay($3.55M), Spencer Johnson($3.5M), Dwan Edwards($3.975M), and Merriman($5.25M). That gives us another $18,375,000 in actual cap savings for a grand total of $32,875,00 in cash to cap.

RE-SIGN OUR OWN

I'd sign Stevie Johnson, first: 5 year $40 Million dollar deal with a signing bonus of $20m paid over three years, essentially guaranteeing a little over half his total contract in the first three years of his deal. SJ would like a contract like this because it gives him a crack at another big payday. Cap hit will be $8M.

Demetrius Bell will receive a 4 year $20M deal with a $10M signing bonus paid over two years. Cap hit: $5M.

Rian Lindell: 3 year $7.5M. SB: $3M. Cap Hit: $3.25M.

Scott Chandler 2 year $3M. Cap Hit: $1.5M

Kraig Urbik 4 years $12M. Cap Hit: $3M

Chad Rhinehart 3 years $6M. Cap Hit: $2M

$22,750,000 spent. $10,125,000 Balance.

2012 NFL DRAFT

Last year the Bills spent about $7.5M on it's rookie class and we were picking 3rd overall in every round. I'd expect about the same this year, with wage increases, plus another $2M for street free agent pick-ups. Leaving the Bills with only $625,000 to spend on free agents. As you can see, this cash to cap method makes life extremely difficult on the Bills' front office to sign any outside free agents.

If I were GM, I'd draft a DE in the first round (Mercilus) to play the 43 end spot, I'd go OLB in the second, another OLB in the 3rd, CB and WR in the 4th, OL in the 5th, another LBer in the 6th and another DE in the 7th.

FREE AGENCY

With only $625,000 left in cash to cap, the Bills would have to rework some deals and adjust some of my cap hit figures for the first year of these new contracts just to sign a free agent or two. My #1 priority if I'm GM is to acquire a pass rusher. I would target Robert Mathis and go after him hard. A D-Line of Mathis, Dareus, Williams, and Mercilus can be a force to be reckoned with and give the Bills the kind of pass rush that will make the rest of the defense better.

If the Bills were to go with this plan we would basically field the same team as last year with the addition of a Robert Mathis type pass rusher and the 2012 draft class. If we can stay healthy, and have success in the draft the Bills should be able to fight for a playoff spot in 2012. Our schedule is favorable, as well.

What do you think?

Are posts like these your idea of "vaseline", Mr Overdorf?

I don't exactly understand how our cash-to-the-cap system works, but I assumed that it meant we'd cap our total cash expenditures at $120M (assuming that's the number) in 2012. By that chart, we're paying $65M in base salaries, and about $10M in bonuses due in 2012. That's $75M. The 'pro-rated bonus' part of things accounts for money paid in other years, counting to different seasons' cash-to-the-cap number. So that'd leave us with $45M to spend before any cuts, not $14.5M. I'm not sure where you got that number.

Very interesting work, and I certainly appreciate your effort.

Unfortunately, this is nothing more than fan-talk, which is basically worthless.

I don't see Bell being signed for that much cash by the Bills. Hairston actually filled in admirably for a good portion of the season- and let's not forget that he was a rookie coming in to play perhaps the most difficult/ challenging position on the O-line..that of LT. AND (big 'AND')....he had NO training camp. I'm very interested to see Hairston at LT after a complete offseason of OTA's, experience of playing, and coaching.

And don't forget that Buddy wants to add another LT in the draft, so I could see Bell leaving similar to that other LT we had a few years back that constantly was hurt and bolted for mucho dinero to San Fran. He was big enough, but could never get it together. He signed a big contract with the 49ers, then never contributed. I see Bell the same way.

Fred Jackson, Rinehardt, Urbik, and Chandler all need to be resigned. We can't take hits on the O-line, when it took practically a decade to find atleast solid players. We were a good rushing team and allowed the fewest sacks because we finally are getting our act together on the O-line. And Chandlers value to the Bills is greater than it is to other teams- another point where I will agree with Buddy. Chandler is a star with Buffalo, but is training camp fodder with many other clubs.

McGee, unfortunately is getting too old and is too injured, too often. I love the guy for all of the really spectacular seasons he put together for just really bad Bills teams.

Parrish, depending on his position, is similar to Chandler, IMO. Has tremendous value to the Bills for the role he would play, but would not last on most other NFL rosters. If he wants more than the Bills will pay, then I don't see it as too great of a loss.

Kelsay is an ok LDE, and I would retain him. Trying to move him to OLB was boneheaded. Powell can be cut, as $3 mil+/per is too much for him. Same with Dwan Edwards. I'd be interested in trying to get Merriman back, but $5 million/per is too much for a guy that can't be healthy unless he's 'roided up. I'd want to get Merriman for an incentive-based contract only.

But losing Powell and Edwards hurts defensive line depth. I don't see Kellen Heard being much of an impact player. I like the RDE we got from the Jets. He looked like a natural pass rusher. But if we draft a RDE, and keep Kelsay, Williams, the RDE from the Jets, and Dareus, we need some depth.

I wonder if the Bills should pull a Cameron Wake-esque move, and find the 2 best pass rushers from the CFL and bring them to Buffalo in the offseason.

Last year the Bills spent about $7.5M on it's rookie class and we were picking 3rd overall in every round. I'd expect about the same this year, with wage increases, plus another $2M for street free agent pick-ups. Leaving the Bills with only $625,000 to spend on free agents.

I'm just going to note here....

You get that the salary cap only takes into account the highest 53 salaries of players on the team, right?

So when they have 80+ guys in the offseason and camp, not all of those count or will count toward the cap. It's exceedingly rare for a late pick or an UDFA to count toward the cap.

Edited by UConn James

I'm just going to note here....

You get that the salary cap only takes into account the highest 53 salaries of players on the team, right?

So when they have 80+ guys in the offseason and camp, not all of those count or will count toward the cap. It's exceedingly rare for a late pick or an UDFA to count toward the cap.

The Bills' cap figure is at $102M for the top 51 players currently on the roster, plus dead money for players that are no longer with the club. In all, we stand at about $105M, according to: http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php.

Sounds like some of you oppose of the re-signing of Bell. Nix insinuated as much, as well, but I believe that's just GM speak. Buddy will say what ever it takes to keep DB's price low, but you can't deny that kid has talent. Is he an injury risk? Sure, but hopefully he can finally stay healthy and live up to his potential. I, for one, would not like to see the Bills use an early pick on a tackle. We have far too many bigger needs than that.

Although the 2011 CBA does have a provision that allows teams to elect to carry over unused salary cap room from 2011 to 2012, I don't recall seeing anything saying that the Bills plan to actually do that. It's certainly possible that the Bills said something like that and I just missed it. Do you have a link?

Nix mentioned in his press Conference I believe that if they don't spend to their "Cash to Cap" number, the Bills management will allow them to carry that amount over to the next year. I'm not refering to left over salary cap space, but "Cash to Cap" spending

For example, if they spend $110 Mil in "Cash to Cap", and the Salary cap is $120 mil, they can spend and extra $10 mil under "Cash to Cap" next year (making their next years Cash to Cap budget $130 mil if the Cap is still at $120mil)

Edited by apuszczalowski

Surprise cut - Moorman

Kelsay returns - he is a decent 4-3 DE and he is RW's favorite color

Merriman returns for camp - if he can play he makes the team - it won't be a money issue

I think they will get a deal done with Stevie Johnson. He passes the eyeball test and I think he can continue to be a weapon for this offense.

I don't think they are bringing Bell back. With the way Nix talked about adding a tackle in the draft it seems Bell will be gone. Pears is a RT and Hairston can start at LT. Levitre can back up LT and Hairston can back up RT if needed. They will draft a day three LT project.

I believe WR is harder to draft than DE/OLB. I think whatever FA money is spent will be on resigning Stevie and adding an experienced wideout that is a 1a or solid 2.

Edited by Dadonkadonk

If I'm the GM of the Bills and Ralph is giving me a $14.5 million budget (the Bills' remaining cap space in 2012) to sign and re-sign some free agents, this would be my plan:

CLEAR CAP SPACE

The very first order of business would be to dedicate ourselves to the 43 defense. Once I've done that, I can proceed to cut the fat on the roster. I'd release Mcgee($2.1M), Kelsay($3.55M), Spencer Johnson($3.5M), Dwan Edwards($3.975M), and Merriman($5.25M). That gives us another $18,375,000 in actual cap savings for a grand total of $32,875,00 in cash to cap.

RE-SIGN OUR OWN

I'd sign Stevie Johnson, first: 5 year $40 Million dollar deal with a signing bonus of $20m paid over three years, essentially guaranteeing a little over half his total contract in the first three years of his deal. SJ would like a contract like this because it gives him a crack at another big payday. Cap hit will be $8M.

Demetrius Bell will receive a 4 year $20M deal with a $10M signing bonus paid over two years. Cap hit: $5M.

Rian Lindell: 3 year $7.5M. SB: $3M. Cap Hit: $3.25M.

Scott Chandler 2 year $3M. Cap Hit: $1.5M

Kraig Urbik 4 years $12M. Cap Hit: $3M

Chad Rhinehart 3 years $6M. Cap Hit: $2M

$22,750,000 spent. $10,125,000 Balance.

2012 NFL DRAFT

Last year the Bills spent about $7.5M on it's rookie class and we were picking 3rd overall in every round. I'd expect about the same this year, with wage increases, plus another $2M for street free agent pick-ups. Leaving the Bills with only $625,000 to spend on free agents. As you can see, this cash to cap method makes life extremely difficult on the Bills' front office to sign any outside free agents.

If I were GM, I'd draft a DE in the first round (Mercilus) to play the 43 end spot, I'd go OLB in the second, another OLB in the 3rd, CB and WR in the 4th, OL in the 5th, another LBer in the 6th and another DE in the 7th.

FREE AGENCY

With only $625,000 left in cash to cap, the Bills would have to rework some deals and adjust some of my cap hit figures for the first year of these new contracts just to sign a free agent or two. My #1 priority if I'm GM is to acquire a pass rusher. I would target Robert Mathis and go after him hard. A D-Line of Mathis, Dareus, Williams, and Mercilus can be a force to be reckoned with and give the Bills the kind of pass rush that will make the rest of the defense better.

If the Bills were to go with this plan we would basically field the same team as last year with the addition of a Robert Mathis type pass rusher and the 2012 draft class. If we can stay healthy, and have success in the draft the Bills should be able to fight for a playoff spot in 2012. Our schedule is favorable, as well.

What do you think?

Nice work. Being dedicated to the 43 Kelsey stays for sure as he is the only 43DE on the roster and does well there. Bell can go as he is always injured. Mercilus wouldn't be our best option at 43 End as he is not explosive and can get caught up in the wash some times. After watching Senior bowl practice Melvin Ingram would be our best choice as he is very explosive and is a big play maker.

draft:(drafttek rankings, used your wish list)

1. Melvin Ingram South Carolina 6'2" 271 OLB34 DE43 -6 difference

2. Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma 6'2" 237 OLB43 OLB34 0 diff

3. Lavonte David Nebraska 6'1" 224 OLB43

4. Michael Egnew Missouri 6'5" 242 TE

4. Jarius Wright Arkansas 5'10" 180 WR

5. Tom Compton South Dakota 6'6" 312 ROT LOT -52 diff

6. Mychal Kendricks California 5'11" 240 SILB

7. Julian Miller West Virginia 6'3" 258 DE43 OLB34 -74 diff

Has the 2012 cap been established?

As of about 10 days ago, Rian Lindell's agent Paul Sheehy estimated that the 2012 cap "should fall in the area of $142.2 million." He never says how he arrived at that figure, but he presumably has at least some basis for making that estimate.

That quote is from the following link, which is technically a blog entry, but written by the agent (it also contains some insights about what agents do this time of year):

http://www.bleed-green.com/blog/?p=12513

Buddy has absolutely nothing to do with cash to cap.

He's said so himself. Many, many times.

He completely removes himself from affairs pertaining to $$.

Which you have to admit is an INSANE way to run a football team. The General Manager removes himself from anything having to do with how much they're paying players? :wallbash:

That's a fecking joke, right?

As of about 10 days ago, Rian Lindell's agent Paul Sheehy estimated that the 2012 cap "should fall in the area of $142.2 million." He never says how he arrived at that figure, but he presumably has at least some basis for making that estimate.

That quote is from the following link, which is technically a blog entry, but written by the agent (it also contains some insights about what agents do this time of year):

http://www.bleed-green.com/blog/?p=12513

I hope it's true! If the Bills are serious about spending money then they need to start with the pass rush. Mario Williams and Robert Mathis should do the trick!! We'd have the sickest d-line in football of this were to happen.

Which you have to admit is an INSANE way to run a football team. The General Manager removes himself from anything having to do with how much they're paying players? :wallbash:

That's a fecking joke, right?

Buddy doesn't negotiate contracts, but he should at least have some say in how much money should be spent on free agents. I've heard him say that he has told RW to calm down on spending, in the past. I don't know if he's just protecting his boss when he says stuff like that, but he is claiming responsibity for the lack of spending.

If the Bills were to acquire Mario Williams, Robert Mathis, and Vincent Jackson and re-sign our own, do you think we'd have a chance at a Super Bowl next year? I do.

I would keep Terence McKee. He is still the BEST corner on the Bills. Sometimes I think he's the only good one.

I would also make an effort to keep Bell. He is clearly better than Hairston. I believe Bell is a very underrated run blocker and you need depth at off. tackle. You can't break the bank because he gets hurt a lot, but he should be made a decent offer.

You don't get better by kissing off good players.

• 2 weeks later...