Shotty Jr Overplayed his hand

DC Grid

I think all of this needs to be viewed in the context of today's NY Daily News article about the organization's disappointment and lack of faith in Mark Sanchez.

Anyways, regardless of the apportioning of blame, it's clear the Schottenheimer/Sanchez relationship ultimately failed and the team is rebooting.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before. He doesn't trust his QB so he can't do his job the way he wants to. If you've ever held a management position and had people working under you, you would understand.

His job is to help develop his players, design the offense and call the plays. His leader isn't developing the way he wants, so he can't call the plays he wants in certain situations, so he calls other plays that just don't work. I don't see why this is so difficult to comprehend.

I served 25 years in the Air Force, so I did have plenty of people who worked under me. I understand and comprehend more than you think. At least on a football team, the boss has the option to design plays for his people that they can all contribute to and make work, and he would do this based on their strengths. In the military, the rules are the rules.

I served 25 years in the Air Force, so I did have plenty of people who worked under me. I understand and comprehend more than you think. At least on a football team, the boss has the option to design plays for his people that they can all contribute to and make work, and he would do this based on their strengths. In the military, the rules are the rules.

Just to take over for Dre here a bit, what if Sanchez didn't work hard, didn't study hard, felt entitled, wasn't committed and wasn't improving?

A quarterback is said to be like a fighter pilot but they don't just put anyone up in those fighter jets do they?

As a CO, what do you do with someone who is supposed to be a leader… who has very high responsibility but doesn't meet his professional duties?

He was "too good" to even interview for the lowly Bills head coaching opening a couple of years ago, and the national media applauded his move to hold out for something better. Now he's seen as a joke offensive coordinator and has been booted from the Jets. It is awesome watching the arrogance of Jets coaches blow up in their face.

His stick is higher now than it would have been if he came to Buffalo

Just to take over for Dre here a bit, what if Sanchez didn't work hard, didn't study hard, felt entitled, wasn't committed and wasn't improving?

A quarterback is said to be like a fighter pilot but they don't just put anyone up in those fighter jets do they?

As a CO, what do you do with someone who is supposed to be a leader… who has very high responsibility but doesn't meet his professional duties?

Your analogy is somewhat faulty. A QB is not a fighter pilot. If a QB fails in his mission, nobody dies or goes to jail. If a fighter pilot fails in his mission, somebody will. That fightrer pilot also has a much longer list of rules he as to live, eat, sleep, and die by, too.

Your analogy is somewhat faulty. A QB is not a fighter pilot. If a QB fails in his mission, nobody dies or goes to jail. If a fighter pilot fails in his mission, somebody will. That fightrer pilot also has a much longer list of rules he as to live, eat, sleep, and die by, too.

Perhaps he picked the improper job title, but you really just whiffed when it came to your point. Somewhere in that chain of command there's a guy that's supposed to be highly qualified and a leader, and if you put someone that isn't ready there and MUST work with them - it makes everyone around that position, including his superior, look bad

Vastly overrated. He's got name recognition and he works in a fishbowl in a huge market. He did the Bills a huge favor by not interviewing. Then again, I always thought his old man was overrated too...

Marty Schottenheimer is a hall of fame coach. Always gets more out of his players than anyone else ever could- just look at who his quarterbacks were in KC. Look at how San Diego has fallen apart since he left.

So you're blaming the 5 INTs on Schotty? You do realize that his team's ability to run for over 300 yds should also be credited towards the offensive coordinator. So you've CLEARLY made my point. That he's a good OC but lacked trust in his QB and those 5 INTs showed why.

Thanks for proving my point junior.

Anyone who loses a game where there team rushes for 300 yards is an idiot. The fact Sanchez was even allowed to throw 5 INTs is downright idiotic.

I've got a few rather knowledgeable friends who are Jets fan that insist the offensive play calling has been abysmal for the last couple seasons. It's not my own opinion because I'm no scholar of the game, but I take that for it's worth.

No you don't. No one does.

Are you f'ing kidding me with this crap, knowledgeable Jets fans? Bet you got a pet unicorn too.

This guy knows QB's and he had a BIG hand in developing Philip Rivers and Drew Brees in San Diego. He was the QB coach in San Diego when Brees and Rivers were there. The fact that he can do that for Rivers and Brees tell me that he understands the game, the position and how to develop players. Sanchez couldn't do that.

These are all characteristics of a good coordinator and I know that he wanted to open up the offense but he couldn't because of Sanchez's incompetence. He couldn't do what he wanted to do because Sanchez sucked.

This is crap.

When guys turn out good (Brees and Rivers) it is because he developed them and when they don't (Sanchez) it is because the player sucks?

Maybe Rivers and Brees are good and make Schotty look good. Maybe Sanchez isn't good and since Schotty isn't either, they failed together.

I love the fact that he passed up a head coaching oppty and is now looking for work. I am hoping the same happens to Jay Gruden too.

He's another guy who has gotten to where he is because of his name and is now a bit too big for his britches.

This is crap.

When guys turn out good (Brees and Rivers) it is because he developed them and when they don't (Sanchez) it is because the player sucks?

Maybe Rivers and Brees are good and make Schotty look good. Maybe Sanchez isn't good and since Schotty isn't either, they failed together.

I love the fact that he passed up a head coaching oppty and is now looking for work. I am hoping the same happens to Jay Gruden too.

He's another guy who has gotten to where he is because of his name and is now a bit too big for his britches.

More disagree than agree, MD.

Rivers and Brees are known to be workaholics… great work ethic.

As revealed in today's big New York Daily News piece, Sanchez has been slacking in the duties and responsibilities of a franchise quarterback.

As such there's more evidence that the failure is on Sanchez than Schottzy.

As far as the Schottzy Jr vs Other Gruden point, Schottzy has clearly rubbed many Bills fans the wrong way because of his snub of us… and MAYBE his "style."

One unstated reason Schottzy Jr. may have turned down the interview in Buffalo is that he didn't feel ready… and if he felt this way, one could understand why he would not say so publicly. You never publicly express doubts about your readiness for a HC position… even if you feel those doubts.

Same possibly goes for Other Gruden. Stylistically he appears to me to be much like Other Harbaugh… a guy who is much less of an egomaniac than his brother and doesn't seek the limelight.

I think it's possible that Other Gruden took himself out of consideration for HC positions simply because he doesn't feel ready yet.

JMO.

In many teams where advancing to the playoff is a priority (not the Bills of course), there is a price to pay when you don't make it. In the Jets case it was the offense and there are three possible sacrificial lambs...the head coach (not gonna happen) the qb (not gonna happen) and the OC (well.......). The piper has to be paid at the end of the day when such teams are concerned.

**** coach, won't sniff another job this year unless his father brings him along.

Lol @ being the QB coach for Brees and Rivers comment, a sack of potatoes couldve coached those two with the same results. Schotty gets a pass on Sanchez because he's inept QB, but gets credit for Brees and Rivers because they're actually capable, makes sense.....lol

I'm not bashing the guy because he snubbed the Bills, I was glad he did, but because he's terrible at his job. He's been OC since Pennington was QB and hasn't done **** with that offense. I live in NYC and unfortunately watch all Jets games, this guy was hated more than Jauron down here, they loathe him that much.

Edited by bouds

In many teams where advancing to the playoff is a priority (not the Bills of course), there is a price to pay when you don't make it. In the Jets case it was the offense and there are three possible sacrificial lambs...the head coach (not gonna happen) the qb (not gonna happen) and the OC (well.......). The piper has to be paid at the end of the day when such teams are concerned.

The one to go should have been Sanchez, who is awful. He was awful when they were winning and going to the AFC Championship.

This guy knows QB's and he had a BIG hand in developing Philip Rivers and Drew Brees in San Diego. He was the QB coach in San Diego when Brees and Rivers were there. The fact that he can do that for Rivers and Brees tell me that he understands the game, the position and how to develop players. Sanchez couldn't do that.

These are all characteristics of a good coordinator and I know that he wanted to open up the offense but he couldn't because of Sanchez's incompetence. He couldn't do what he wanted to do because Sanchez sucked.

Great. Maybe Chan will let him interview for our open Quarterback coach position.

More disagree than agree, MD.

Rivers and Brees are known to be workaholics… great work ethic.

As revealed in today's big New York Daily News piece, Sanchez has been slacking in the duties and responsibilities of a franchise quarterback.

As such there's more evidence that the failure is on Sanchez than Schottzy.

As far as the Schottzy Jr vs Other Gruden point, Schottzy has clearly rubbed many Bills fans the wrong way because of his snub of us… and MAYBE his "style."

One unstated reason Schottzy Jr. may have turned down the interview in Buffalo is that he didn't feel ready… and if he felt this way, one could understand why he would not say so publicly. You never publicly express doubts about your readiness for a HC position… even if you feel those doubts.

Same possibly goes for Other Gruden. Stylistically he appears to me to be much like Other Harbaugh… a guy who is much less of an egomaniac than his brother and doesn't seek the limelight.

I think it's possible that Other Gruden took himself out of consideration for HC positions simply because he doesn't feel ready yet.

JMO.

Great points. And thanks for an intelligent reply. It is nice to disagree respectfully and share logical yet opposing viewpoints.

To follow up on your point about Schotty not being at fault because Sanchez is not putting in the work. Isn't part of the position coaches job to find a way to motivate a player to put in the work? This could include showing him examples of other successful QBs and how they got there, it could include sceraming and yelling or it could be coddling. Whatever is needed. If he cannot motivate one QB, how is he going to be a HC and motivate an entire team?