Buddy Nix press conference today @11am

Buftex

Mario Williams

Buddy's looking for a little more than just size -- his quote was something along the lines of "he's open even when he's not open." Specifically mentioned a Calvin Johnson type.

I have been thinking the Texans would let Mario Walk and would cream myself if we signed him.

That is the exact type of WR I think we need. Is Floyd liek that? I think the other two could be gone at 10.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking the Texans would let Mario Walk and would cream myself if we signed him.

I don't think Houston can afford him. He's going to want a contract similar to Peppers, which is about 6yrs and $90 million. Can you picture a Buffalo News headline that reads "Bills land Williams with $90M deal?" I sure can't.

I think a more realistic target is Cliff Avril. He'll probably command about half that and is a much better pass rusher than most people think.

I truly appreciate Nix' frankness as a fan.

But I thought he wasn't giving Chandler very much respect. While true the guy had only one catch prior to coming here, he has been great for us. He basically said Chandler would likely not be successful somewhere else and that if he could find a better deal then so be it.

I think it was more like "...we gave you a shot when no one else did so why not stick around and help us make a winner?"

PTR

Sounds like he's not just looking for a receiver but a receiver with size. Which is interesting because they already have pretty good size with the guys they got. I also wonder if Vincent Jackson will be a target if Stevie walks.

James Hardy is available :worthy:

he is TALL

Enter Justin Blackmon :thumbsup:

My guess is that he is gone before the #10 pick.

Because he's not a "big time receiver".

Buddy didn't say anything about getting WR's PLURAL - unless they lose Stevie.

He said they want another ONE top starter to go with SJ.

There's nothing wrong with Jones your #4/#5 guy. That's has nothing to do with trying to bring in a Vincent Jackson, etc. or sign a 1st-round stud WR.

That doesn't mean they won't go for more than one, either.

I'd take haggin over jones.

I would, too.

He said if you can get QB pressure with your front 4, that is a good defense. So I guess he is leaning to the 4 -3.

He talked at length about 3-4 vs 4-3.

Basically he said that on passing downs, teams almost always rush 4 men.

He also said that the Bills played 4-3 on 47% of snaps this past year.

Personally I think the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate is much more an issue with the fans than it is with the team.

Like many teams, the Bills will use multiple fronts.

Hopefully they'll acquire the best players available and scheme around those specific players.

Personally I couldn't care less what scheme they run.

Personally I think the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate is much more an issue with the fans than it is with the team.

Hopefully they'll acquire the best players available and scheme around those specific players.

I'm not too concerned about the scheme.

But if we were to invest a first round pick on a pass rusher, be it a DE or an OLB I want to get a guy theta gonna be on the field almost every play.

So the only reason I care about the scheme is to know what type of defensive players would best help the Bills. I really don't want to see a "Maybin" type rusher that can only do 1 thing.

I like what Buddy is doing and his direction of the team and all. It seems like he is saying the right things but we will have to wait and see if he pulls the right strings. If he resigns Stevie, brings in Bowe or Jackson, maybe even a guy like Meachem, and has a strong draft 2012 class, I can see the Bills making the playoffs as a distinct possibility this year. I mean look at their schedule. Besides New England, the Jets, Houston, and San Fran (who knows what Indy will be) every single team is mediocre or below average. The way I look at it, I see the Bills losing 1 of the no-brainer games and pulling one out against the above teams to go 10-6 (w/ a good free agency and draft). But its way early to be predicting records. Buddy is optimistic about Stevie and I hope and think he will sign him.

I agree philosophy is more important, then scheme. We could be a running team with the spread for instance :ph34r: (please).

Great Presser.

That was super candid.

Looks like #10 will be:

Alshon Jeffrey

Michael Floyd

Dre Kirkpatrick

Maybe

Jonathan Martin

(Assuming Claiborne & Blackmon are gone by #10)

I thought we drafted Maybe in 2009?

I don't know know if it's buddy's country accent or what or how he would pronounce or "who what" but, he somehow got me excited about free agency and the draft......

He's got a little of that old snake oil country shuckster in him don't he?

A little of the old Mr Haney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsEhXE5IUCQ&feature=related

True...But how many WR's with that type of size and talent catching the ball have had the separation ability CJ/Moss have?...Like I said a few days ago Jeffery had a couple steps deep in the 1st Half of that Bowl Game going up against a potential 1st Round CB...He's got enough speed...Not elite speed, but enough...He does have elite size, hands and ability to use his body properly...I mean...I'd rather have Megatron too...But there's only one of those...Jeffery pretty much fits exactly what the Bills need, and will make an awesome compliment for Stevie...Just hoping he makes it to #10 Overall... B-)

I would love to have Jeffery on the team. He is my favorite WR in the draft. He may not be the fastest, but he would be a great compliment to Stevie. Jeffery did not have as good a year as before, mostly because South Carolina ran the ball a lot more.

He would be the best option for getting a Calvin Johnson type WR for the Bills. Unless the Bills try to get Vincent Jackson.

Listened to the whole thing Live...

Mark it down now...I'm going to go out on a limb here... :nana:

The Bills will take Alshon Jeffery if he's still there at #10...He is the exact WR Nix said the Team needed...I'm surprised he did not slip and mention Jeffery by name...

Now Y'all have until late April to tell me I'm wrong... B-)

That is exactly what I've been thinking as well. Unless they surprise us and somehow manage to land VJ.