Drafttek #7

Draftek

1. LOT Riley Reiff 6'6" 300 Iowa

"Reiff declared for the draft this week, securing his spot as Kiper's seventh-best prospect and second best lineman, agreeing with most mocksters. Jury's still out on free-agent Demetrius Bell, who has had one injury-free season in four years, and last year's 4th-rounder, Chris Hairston, who got toasted by DE Mark Anderson of the Pats in week 17. Bills fans swooned over Bryan Bulaga last year, and would welcome Bulaga's successor at Iowa as a mainstay at LT. What impresses me about Reiff is his excellent use of hands, fast footwork, wide base and leverage, impressive balance, and a fight-to-the-finish ethic. The only thing that worries me with Reiff's selection is the scarcity of top-shelf defensive pass rushers in this draft, and going OT in the first round effectively limits the Bills' choice at a their #1 position of need. It defaults the Bills to finding their pass rusher in free agency (Mario Williams, anyone?)."

2. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 222 Tex A&M

"The Bills are not going to reach at QB after investing so heavily in Fitz, but if Tannehill falls to them in RD2, Ralph himself might sprint to the podium. The Bills need to look early for their franchise quarterback, and I like Tannehill. He showed his mettle in A&M's bowl win vs. Northwestern with a 67% completion rate and a 139 passer rating (not unusual numbers over his career), but it is Tannehill's leadership, quick decision-making, and accuracy that make him a savvy pick for development. I was especially impressed with Tannehill's resilience vs. RG3 and the Baylor Bears this season and his pinpoint passing and elusiveness in his past two seasons. Watch Tannehill's 2010 game vs. LSU and see if you detect an upgrade to the parade of poor passers (and playoff-free results) we've undergone since Jimbo left. While it means neglecting the pass rush yet again in RD2, the Bills absolutely need to groom a QB with better accuracy. Tannehill is a wise choice here. "

3. OLB34 Brandon Jenkins 6'3" 254 Fla St.

4. DE34 Kheeston Randall 6'5" 298 Texas

4. WR Taveres King 6'1" 192 Georgia

5. CB Cliff Harris 5'11" Oregon

6. NT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste 6'3" 335 Baylor

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

My draft; since the likelihood of us going 43 is great I'll go that route otherwise the above draft is awesome.

1. Reiff - finally a real LT

2. Tannehill - franchise

3. OLB Lavonte David 6'1" 224 Nebraska - Tackling machine

"LaVonte David transferred to Nebraska after playing JUCO for two years so he doesn’t have a lot of big time college football experience. However, in that short amount of time he has been able to make a name for himself. In his first year playing in the Big 12, he racked up over 150 tackles, 10 pass break ups, and 6 sacks. He is very instinctive and a tackling machine but his lack of size and scheme versatility may hurt him come draft day and he may not be drafted as high as most initially thought." New era Scouting

4. TE Michael Egnew 6'5" 242 Missouri - could be our Aaron Hernandez

" During the 2010 campaign he caught 90 passes for 762 yards and five touchdowns. The beginning of 2011 has not gone too well for Egnew. Egnew had a decent senior season for Missouri, catching 50 passes for 523 yards and three touchdowns. Those are not great numbers for a Tigers tight end, but with a rushing quarterback and a ground game that could move effectively, Egnew did not got too many opportunities to catch the ball. The good news is that Egnew is s still a great pass catcher and he got more practice blocking than most Mizzou tight ends." College sports madness

4. OLB Tank Carder 6'2" 238 TCU - great instincts, needs a little more strength but the rest is there.

"Carder is tough to peg when projecting to the NFL. He has spent most of his time at TCU in the middle of the defense. However, he could move to the outside at the next level due to his speed and pass rushing ability. Yet, he also fits pretty well in the middle since he is a very instinctual player who can sit back, read the defense and attack the ball.

Besides his knack for returning interceptions for touchdowns. He was still the leader of one of the best defenses in the nation, but the talent around him was better and he did not have to put up huge numbers. That will not change his draft status though. He is still a ball hawk who can simply make plays. Where he plays at the next level is still the biggest question and that will have to be answered before he can start thinking about cracking the top two rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft." college sports madness

5. CB Trumaine Johnson 6'2" 204 Montana

"A raw, physically gifted prospect with upside, Johnson looks the part of a press corner — has a lean, high-cut, athletic build with exceptionally long arms, defined muscle and a projectable frame.Smooth, naturally athletic movement skills, including long, fluid strides and terrific ball skills — outstanding leaper who displays hand-eye coordination, body control and soft hands in the air.Freelances in search of big plays and lassos too many tackles.Is egocentric and will have to adopt a professional work ethic after being able to coast against inferior athletes on the practice field and on game days." pro football weekly

6. WR Tommy Streeter 6'5" 215 Miami - 4.4 - 40

"with a long set of arms, big hands and is the kind of guy who can create mismatches down by the red zone and will go get the football even when covered up. He showcases a real toughness about his game willing to work the middle of the field and takes the shot. Possess body control to go up and get the football in jump ball situations as well.

Streeter also displays a deceptive vertical ability about his game as he builds speed as he goes down the field and uses his long stride to track the football and adjust to the play. He fends off the contact well of cornerbacks vertically, typically gets his body in position to make a play and can come down with some tough grabs."

7. DE Codarro Law 6'2" 265 Southern Miss - will be a third rounder but for fun I will take him here while I can. Devastating tackler, nasty attitude, makes a ton of plays in the backfield.

"Law is one of the toughest college players I’ve seen when watching him on film. Learns to adapt on the fly right away. It does not take Law long to learn your teams playbook along with the pass rushing schemes that your defensive coordinator will assign Law. Very smart instinctive football player. Showcases great awareness at getting to the football. Law’s ability to get to the football as a pass rusher, run stuffer, or turnover machine is one of his primary strengths, had 7 sacks in 2009 as a sophomore redshirt, 6 sacks as a junior ,finished his career with 9.5 sacks in 2011. burst off the edge to win the one on one battles with his speed and aggressive ability as a pass rusher." Rant sports

FA targets: DEs Marrio Williams, Robert Mathis, Cliff Aviril

WRs Vince Jackson, Mike Wallace, Wes Welker

(sidenote: Hey San Jose Bills fan and any other draft junkie, this site is for you;

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My draft; since the likelihood of us going 43 is great I'll go that route otherwise the above draft is awesome.

2. Tannehill - franchise

"LaVonte David transferred to Nebraska after playing JUCO for two years so he doesn’t have a lot of big time college football experience. However, in that short amount of time he has been able to make a name for himself. In his first year playing in the Big 12, he racked up over 150 tackles, 10 pass break ups, and 6 sacks. He is very instinctive and a tackling machine but his lack of size and scheme versatility may hurt him come draft day and he may not be drafted as high as most initially thought." New era Scouting

Are you trying to find me the next London Fletcher here?

If so, i'll pass. I need pass rush. Not a guy who gets to where he needs to be in order to make a tackle. I need guys moving upfield, with an angry demeanor, intending to do bad things to the qb. Not a guy waiting for the running back to commit to a hole, so he can make a tackle.

Are you trying to find me the next London Fletcher here?

If so, i'll pass. I need pass rush. Not a guy who gets to where he needs to be in order to make a tackle. I need guys moving upfield, with an angry demeanor, intending to do bad things to the qb. Not a guy waiting for the running back to commit to a hole, so he can make a tackle.

were going 43 so pass rushing OLBs are out. This kid can flat out play and a few other sites had him listed 10 lbs heavier.

I got Law for pass rush and forgot to mention that we should target Marrio Williams, Robert Mathis or Cliff Aviril at DE.

Brandon Jenkins is going back to Tally for his senior season. If the Bills wait until round 3 to improve their edge rush I will throw myself off of the Peace bridge.

I'm sure there are plenty here that would love that honor :devil: j/king

From reading interviews with Wanny and Barnett, it kinda sounds to me that a switch back to the 43 is imminent. That being the case there is going to be a lot of draftboards shuffling and players changing positions and a need for a pass rushing DE, preferably someone who isn't making the transition from OLB to DE.

I don't understand why we take an OL in the first round when we had a very good running game and were the least sacked team in the NFL...

Because our left tackles cannot stay healthy an entire season and Reiff is a fairly versatile OL

I don't understand why we take an OL in the first round when we had a very good running game and were the least sacked team in the NFL...

Because ideally we want to run more without the YPC dropping hugely when defenses start keying on it. Further it'd be nice to have time for plays to develop before the throw comes out. The line played better than expected but was also schemed to hide.

Because our left tackles cannot stay healthy an entire season and Reiff is a fairly versatile OL

Assuming injury is a terrible reason to base a draft. To me pass rush us screaming for an upgrade. OT could be improved, like any position,but is not a major area of concern. Tweaking OT is not a luxury we can afford when out front 7 needs attention.

PTR

I'm sure there are plenty here that would love that honor :devil: j/king

From reading interviews with Wanny and Barnett, it kinda sounds to me that a switch back to the 43 is imminent. That being the case there is going to be a lot of draftboards shuffling and players changing positions and a need for a pass rushing DE, preferably someone who isn't making the transition from OLB to DE.

This kid Melvin Ingram checks all of the boxes; 4-3 end, great pass rusher and plays the rush very well, NFL body, long arms, plays hard all of the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5dkwPHQJXk&feature=related

If we don't sell the farm for RG III, I'm hoping he's our pick.

Did you watch any games this weekend?

Compare and contrast the amount of time/space top offensive teams give their QB with the time/space the Bills give Fitz. It's visually quite striking.

The "lowest sacks" stat is misleading because our game is designed to get rid of the ball quickly, and that sometimes translates to "too quickly".

We drop to 10th in QB hits and some here have come up with fancy stats about QB pressure in under 3 seconds and we're quite poor on that.

I don't think it's a secret that any QB will throw more INTs and be less accurate when he's under more pressure.

Durability of our line is also a concern. Hairston has to grow into the LT job if he wants it, and Bell can't seem to stay healthy.

All that said - I see strong pass rusher as the top priority in the draft, WR as #2 (WITH signing SJ). But if the BPA is an OL we should grab him.

Edited by Hopeful

Draftek

1. LOT Riley Reiff 6'6" 300 Iowa

"Reiff declared for the draft this week, securing his spot as Kiper's seventh-best prospect and second best lineman, agreeing with most mocksters. Jury's still out on free-agent Demetrius Bell, who has had one injury-free season in four years, and last year's 4th-rounder, Chris Hairston, who got toasted by DE Mark Anderson of the Pats in week 17. Bills fans swooned over Bryan Bulaga last year, and would welcome Bulaga's successor at Iowa as a mainstay at LT. What impresses me about Reiff is his excellent use of hands, fast footwork, wide base and leverage, impressive balance, and a fight-to-the-finish ethic. The only thing that worries me with Reiff's selection is the scarcity of top-shelf defensive pass rushers in this draft, and going OT in the first round effectively limits the Bills' choice at a their #1 position of need. It defaults the Bills to finding their pass rusher in free agency (Mario Williams, anyone?)."

2. QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 222 Tex A&M

"The Bills are not going to reach at QB after investing so heavily in Fitz, but if Tannehill falls to them in RD2, Ralph himself might sprint to the podium. The Bills need to look early for their franchise quarterback, and I like Tannehill. He showed his mettle in A&M's bowl win vs. Northwestern with a 67% completion rate and a 139 passer rating (not unusual numbers over his career), but it is Tannehill's leadership, quick decision-making, and accuracy that make him a savvy pick for development. I was especially impressed with Tannehill's resilience vs. RG3 and the Baylor Bears this season and his pinpoint passing and elusiveness in his past two seasons. Watch Tannehill's 2010 game vs. LSU and see if you detect an upgrade to the parade of poor passers (and playoff-free results) we've undergone since Jimbo left. While it means neglecting the pass rush yet again in RD2, the Bills absolutely need to groom a QB with better accuracy. Tannehill is a wise choice here. "

3. OLB34 Brandon Jenkins 6'3" 254 Fla St.

4. DE34 Kheeston Randall 6'5" 298 Texas

4. WR Taveres King 6'1" 192 Georgia

5. CB Cliff Harris 5'11" Oregon

6. NT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste 6'3" 335 Baylor

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

2. Tannehill - franchise

4. TE Michael Egnew 6'5" 242 Missouri - could be our Aaron Hernandez

" During the 2010 campaign he caught 90 passes for 762 yards and five touchdowns. The beginning of 2011 has not gone too well for Egnew. Egnew had a decent senior season for Missouri, catching 50 passes for 523 yards and three touchdowns. Those are not great numbers for a Tigers tight end, but with a rushing quarterback and a ground game that could move effectively, Egnew did not got too many opportunities to catch the ball. The good news is that Egnew is s still a great pass catcher and he got more practice blocking than most Mizzou tight ends." College sports madness

4. OLB Tank Carder 6'2" 238 TCU - great instincts, needs a little more strength but the rest is there.

"Carder is tough to peg when projecting to the NFL. He has spent most of his time at TCU in the middle of the defense. However, he could move to the outside at the next level due to his speed and pass rushing ability. Yet, he also fits pretty well in the middle since he is a very instinctual player who can sit back, read the defense and attack the ball.

Besides his knack for returning interceptions for touchdowns. He was still the leader of one of the best defenses in the nation, but the talent around him was better and he did not have to put up huge numbers. That will not change his draft status though. He is still a ball hawk who can simply make plays. Where he plays at the next level is still the biggest question and that will have to be answered before he can start thinking about cracking the top two rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft." college sports madness

5. CB Trumaine Johnson 6'2" 204 Montana

"A raw, physically gifted prospect with upside, Johnson looks the part of a press corner — has a lean, high-cut, athletic build with exceptionally long arms, defined muscle and a projectable frame.Smooth, naturally athletic movement skills, including long, fluid strides and terrific ball skills — outstanding leaper who displays hand-eye coordination, body control and soft hands in the air.Freelances in search of big plays and lassos too many tackles.Is egocentric and will have to adopt a professional work ethic after being able to coast against inferior athletes on the practice field and on game days." pro football weekly

6. WR Tommy Streeter 6'5" 215 Miami - 4.4 - 40

"with a long set of arms, big hands and is the kind of guy who can create mismatches down by the red zone and will go get the football even when covered up. He showcases a real toughness about his game willing to work the middle of the field and takes the shot. Possess body control to go up and get the football in jump ball situations as well.

Streeter also displays a deceptive vertical ability about his game as he builds speed as he goes down the field and uses his long stride to track the football and adjust to the play. He fends off the contact well of cornerbacks vertically, typically gets his body in position to make a play and can come down with some tough grabs."

7. DE Codarro Law 6'2" 265 Southern Miss - will be a third rounder but for fun I will take him here while I can. Devastating tackler, nasty attitude, makes a ton of plays in the backfield.

"Law is one of the toughest college players I’ve seen when watching him on film. Learns to adapt on the fly right away. It does not take Law long to learn your teams playbook along with the pass rushing schemes that your defensive coordinator will assign Law. Very smart instinctive football player. Showcases great awareness at getting to the football. Law’s ability to get to the football as a pass rusher, run stuffer, or turnover machine is one of his primary strengths, had 7 sacks in 2009 as a sophomore redshirt, 6 sacks as a junior ,finished his career with 9.5 sacks in 2011. burst off the edge to win the one on one battles with his speed and aggressive ability as a pass rusher." Rant sports

FA targets: DEs Marrio Williams, Robert Mathis, Cliff Aviril

WRs Vince Jackson, Mike Wallace, Wes Welker

(sidenote: Hey San Jose Bills fan and any other draft junkie, this site is for you;

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/

If the Bills actually drafted those players it would be the best draft in the Bills history. I do not think most of those players will be there.

I would feel more comfortable with something like this

based on draft tek ratings these player will be available

1 upshaw de/olb bama

2 ronnell lewis olb 4/3 backer first round talent , immature oklahoma

3 gilmore cb south car

4 keenan robinson olb texas

4b mosely ot Auburn

5 Harris cb oregon , dispite his off field issues I doubt he falls this far

6 Streeter wr miami again this seems way to low for this guy but heck will take em

7 childs wr arkansas

for what it is worth

I wouldn't mind if the draft worked out that way. My only concern is that our two biggest holes on the team aren't addressed until later in the draft. Pass rushing, LB's, and WR's are all a serious point of deficiency for the Bills. Having said that though, there may not be good enough players available in the draft to spend high picks on at those positions.

Personally I think it's a little much to label Tannehill as a "franchise" QB. While he may have potential (like Beck, Kolb, Edwards, Losman, ect...) to get too excited about him may be foolish. Brees is the exception, not the rule. Most 2nd/3rd round QB picks disappear into oblivion... He may end up being great and I would be fine with taking the risk on him, but I certainly don't think you can assume greatness.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Assuming injury is a terrible reason to base a draft. To me pass rush us screaming for an upgrade. OT could be improved, like any position,but is not a major area of concern. Tweaking OT is not a luxury we can afford when out front 7 needs attention.

PTR

Not basing a draft on assumptions, was merely addressing a question as to why a player was listed there. Reiff is a good OL who can play multiple positions along the line and I could see him challenging Bell for the starting role right away. That said I don't see him as the pick there.

The pass rush definitely needs to be addressed though I'm not sure early in the draft is the best place to do it given the lack of top pass rushers this year. Also, what is up in the air right now is the defense the Bills intend to run next year. After reading what Wanny and Barnett said in recent interviews I'm leaning towards a 4-3 as the new scheme.

Ran Drafttek with the opinion of Buffalo going 43 and this is the draft I get right now:

1. Quinton Coples DE UNC

2. Tannehill

3. Donnie Fletcher CB BC

4. Tavares King WR Georgia

4. Trenton Robinson FS Mich ST

5. Nigel Bradham OLB FLA St

6. Justin Pugh OT Syracuse

7. Rhett Ellison TE USC

Passing on Tannehill would give Buffalo Nick Toon WR

Still a lot of things to be decided before we worry too much about mocks right now though.

Brandon Jenkins is going back to Tally for his senior season. If the Bills wait until round 3 to improve their edge rush I will throw myself off of the Peace bridge.

I almost want to flame myself for thinking it, but maybe part of the problem with pass rush is scheme. Maybe when Williams comes back, the line will be ok as far as a pass rush. Now...can the middle 3 stop the run???

I almost want to flame myself for thinking it, but maybe part of the problem with pass rush is scheme. Maybe when Williams comes back, the line will be ok as far as a pass rush. Now...can the middle 3 stop the run???

If they switch to a 4/3 and willians and daruis are not at least very good, then we are screwed. It should be the best part of the defense

It's pretty apparent that seeing as you have your picks through out all the rounds that you have done your home work , but i'm not sure i agree with some of your picks .

The entire Tannenhill infatuation i don't get at all But like i said you look like you've done your home work so , i guess ? With that i think pass rush is the most important thing the Bills need this year in the draft & if we invest in a QB i think there could be a better possibility in the later rounds of a DEVELOPMENTAL QB !! Which would mean less risk vs. reward not to mention money ..

The kid that declared from ASU looks as if he might be a good prospect but from what i catch he has some issues with doing things his way & not listening to his coach .

I hope we go heavy on D again this year but would love it if Blakmon fell to us which i highly doubt it , but hey you can dream can't you ?? I have a lot more faith in Buddy & Chan than i do my self or any other Bills fan & there research that's for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope RW does & doesn't stick his nose where it doesn't belong & let the guys he hired do their job !!!!