First Round: Pass rusher

symbiant

we nedd Mercilus, but i am not completely sold on anyone in the draft other than Luck, i mean seriously this will be a very deep draft, the only positions that i think have depth are WR and QB, but other than Luck and Blackmon, there isnt any real superstars in this draft

No love for Michael Floyd? I am an admitted ND fan and have watched almost all of his starts and there is no way he is not going to be an impact receiver in the NFL. Draft stock is being hurt by some off field stuff but by every account that I have heard/read he has made the right choices since. Big target, decent blocker, not a pure burner but has decent speed. He will fight for the not so great passes, which would be helpful for any QB but perhaps more so with Fitz.

I am for taking the BPA. If that is a front 7 or OL that would also make me happy so I will not be upset if the Bills pass on Floyd. That being said, if the Bills open next year with Floyd, Johnson,insert 3 receiver,Spiller and a healthy Jackson it would be a very potent offense. The Bills need this pick to work out, that I do know.

But this is where you get in trouble. you can't go into the 1st and just draft for need. That's how you end up with JP Losman, James Hardy, and Aaron Maybin.

If the best player (or close to the best) on the board is a pass rusher, boom, problem solved. But if the pass rushers don't merit that draft spot, give me the best receiver or another position that fits that draft selection.

Needs can be filled with other than the 1st pick

the Bills ended up with JP, Hardy and Maybin because they have no clue how to evaluate talent

if the Bills had a clue, they could have acquired quality players filling the specific needs they were after -

Orakpo is a player - Maybin is a turd

they drafted Hardy because he was TALL- taken right after him were Eddie Royal, DeSesan Jackson and Jerome Simpson - players still producing in the league

and with a savvy GM, they could have moved up a few spots to get Jordy Nelson

FOR OVER A YEAR IVE TOUTED ,QUINTON COPLES AND UPSHAW ,SINCE THEN THOUGH IVE WATCHED COPLES PLAY tank ,UPSHAW IS CLEARLY THE FAVORITE BUT..WATCH DONTA HIGHTOWER ALSO ON BAMA..HE PLAYS INSIDE NOW BUT HAS ALSO PLAYED OLB AND DE,,HE IS FLYING UP DRAFT CHARTS NOW AND IN SOME RANKED ABOVE UPSHAW..TO PUT HIS PLAY IN PERSPECTIVE THINK PATRICK WILLIS BUT BIGGER AT 6'4 AND NEARLY 275 ..WITH WANNY LEADING NOW do the bills take the next willis,urlacher,etc.. or do they pass and take a pure olb so to speak,,, ive watched upshaw ,brown ,taylor,burfict and kuechy, he is better than them all. IMO

But this is where you get in trouble. you can't go into the 1st and just draft for need. That's how you end up with JP Losman, James Hardy, and Aaron Maybin.

If the best player (or close to the best) on the board is a pass rusher, boom, problem solved. But if the pass rushers don't merit that draft spot, give me the best receiver or another position that fits that draft selection.

Kind of like when we drafted Spiller?

i see this draft unfolding so that an OT will be the first pick.

while i agree our biggest need is pressuring the QB with a DE/OLB, i believe that a Left Tackle is not far behind and will be the first round pick because we have absolutely no depth at that position and quite possibly the two worst starting OT's in the league. i believe the draft will fall so as one of the three top LT's will be on the board when we pick. i also believe that Wanny will switch back to a 4-3 defense better utilizing the personnel we already have as our D-Line group is much stronger and deeper than our LB's. they will count on a healthy Merriman to improve QB pressure.

DT's - K. Williams, Dareus, Heard and Troup.

DE's - Kelsay, Edwards, Carrington and Johnson.

ILB's - Sheppard, Davis and Morrison.

OLB's - Barnett, Merriman and Moats.

while i agree our biggest need is pressuring the QB with a DE/OLB, i believe that a Left Tackle is not far behind and will be the first round pick because we have absolutely no depth at that position and quite possibly the two worst starting OT's in the league. i believe the draft will fall so as one of the three top LT's will be on the board when we pick. i also believe that Wanny will switch back to a 4-3 defense better utilizing the personnel we already have as our D-Line group is much stronger and deeper than our LB's. they will count on a healthy Merriman to improve QB pressure.

DT's - K. Williams, Dareus, Heard and Troup.

DE's - Kelsay, Edwards, Carrington and Johnson.

ILB's - Sheppard, Davis and Morrison.

OLB's - Barnett, Merriman and Moats.

I crossed out all the marginal players that need to be replaced with better players.

Yes, this is harsh and we could live with some of the crossed out players as back ups for a awhile. Still, we need to get much better at DE and OLB.

Lost of work to do on this front 7. It is lousy and the numbers don't lie.

Edited by Bob in STL

This thinking is flawed.

The problem with those players is that they were NOT the best players available. If we had a decent scouting department, those players would not have been on our boards.

The problem is player evaluation. If you have good evaluation, then wherever you pick you will get a good player. If you decide to take the best (insert position here) at your spot, then you will choose a good player at that position.

For example, was Maybin the best DE/OLB/Pass-rusher on the board when he was chosen, instead of Orakpo?

Hindsight is 20-20. Maybin was a top 15 pick in most mocks and appeared in a top 10 in a good amount as well too. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3850049 We drafted Hardy because most everyone (including the majoirty of posters here) said we needed a big receiver across from Evans. Thus, we passed on Desean Jackson (he is a jackass though).

To go into the draft completely focused on need, especially in the 1st round, is completely stupid. You need to find the best combo of need and talent available. But to reach for a need is what is destroying this team. The crazy thing about the draft is there are 7 rounds and the Bills have at least 9 picks this year. A lot of the elite pass rushers weren't first rounders (Allen, Tuck, Wake, etc.).

FOR OVER A YEAR IVE TOUTED ,QUINTON COPLES AND UPSHAW ,SINCE THEN THOUGH IVE WATCHED COPLES PLAY tank ,UPSHAW IS CLEARLY THE FAVORITE BUT..WATCH DONTA HIGHTOWER ALSO ON BAMA..HE PLAYS INSIDE NOW BUT HAS ALSO PLAYED OLB AND DE,,HE IS FLYING UP DRAFT CHARTS NOW AND IN SOME RANKED ABOVE UPSHAW..TO PUT HIS PLAY IN PERSPECTIVE THINK PATRICK WILLIS BUT BIGGER AT 6'4 AND NEARLY 275 ..WITH WANNY LEADING NOW do the bills take the next willis,urlacher,etc.. or do they pass and take a pure olb so to speak,,, ive watched upshaw ,brown ,taylor,burfict and kuechy, he is better than them all. IMO

Hightower is a flat out monster, and Nico Johnson is also great. Could you imagine either of them with Barnett?

Upshaw? He will be a better than average OLB as a rookie. I've been watching him for years. The kid makes big plays.

Hightower is a flat out monster, and Nico Johnson is also great. Could you imagine either of them with Barnett?

Upshaw? He will be a better than average OLB as a rookie. I've been watching him for years. The kid makes big plays.

Bill, 2 questions. 1) Do you believe Upshaw is a top 10 talent? 2) There appears to be a lot of thought that the Bills are shifting to a 4-3 because of DW's background. Personally, I always think you find talent and make it fit your system. However, the roles of a 4-3 OLB are completely different than a 3-4 OLB. Do you think Upshaw fits in a 4-3?

But I do agree 100% that you really can't go wrong picking talent from the SEC, especially from Alabama and LSU. And Nix did a great job with that last year.

I would say that seeing as we need not only a pass rusher but a OLB that Courtney Upshaw would be the best man on your list .

But as it was pointed out to me on my most resent post no matter what we as fans want the team is going to do what their professional staff that is hired to evaluate the players are going to do and this is all just us speculating what we would want !!

DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN SOME OF US JUST DON'T GET IT AND WALK AROUND IN A HAZE :blink: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course to the poster i am being a wise guy because of other things i have read thank you for being a fan and giving me another perspective to read & think about & please continue on dispite what the rif raf might reply !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

[/b]

Kind of like when we drafted Spiller?

I wanted to draft Bulaga. But the kind of impact Spiller can make will far surpass anything Bulaga could do. Bulaga is probably on the level of Pears at this point.

However, I do think position does matter a bit in drafting BPA. The Bills believe Spiller could fit many roles, not just rb.

Personally, I think there is little doubt that the Bills want to select a passrusher at #10 overall, unless some elite talent falls.

Thoughts on the following players?

Quinton Coples, DE, N. Carolina

Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

Melvin Ingram, DE, S. Carolina

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois

At #10 I think DE/OLB may very well bring the worst value of most any position in this coming Draft with the obvious exceptions of S, TE, etc...The value of DE/OLB comes in the Mid 1st and on IMHO...I think, unlike most years, the value at #10 may very well be along the O-Line where a few VERY nice Prospects may still be available...Personally I'm hoping Alshon Jeffery falls into our laps at #10... B-)

I want the pass rusher who is big and physical and has had more than one season of production...period...we NEED to hit on this pass rusher, and I agree that unless we sign someone via free agency (ala Robert Mathis - aint happenin though) we need to address pass rush with the first pick, and probably even if we do sign pass rusher in free agency

other POTENTIAL positions: WR and CB (and honestly we need help at both of those spots too)

We DEFINITELY need a WR but I would say get one in free agency. There will be a few good #1 or #2 WRs that could be had if we actually wanted them. I sometimes think CB but given that we have perhaps the worst pass rush in the league those guys have a REALLY tough job. Improving the pass rush should indirectly give us an upgrade at CB.

Bill, 2 questions. 1) Do you believe Upshaw is a top 10 talent? 2) There appears to be a lot of thought that the Bills are shifting to a 4-3 because of DW's background. Personally, I always think you find talent and make it fit your system. However, the roles of a 4-3 OLB are completely different than a 3-4 OLB. Do you think Upshaw fits in a 4-3?

But I do agree 100% that you really can't go wrong picking talent from the SEC, especially from Alabama and LSU. And Nix did a great job with that last year.

Upshaw, imo, can play OLB in a 4/3, but would be better in a 3/4. His stats are not staggering but remember, Bama does not like teams to run against them. They take run defense seriously. Trust me, Upshaw seals off the outside as well as bring consistent pressure.

I am curious to see what he bench presses at the combines. This could matter with this type of player. But again, this kid makes plays.

Remember, I am in the minority here wrt the draft (and btw, I am not trying to convert anyone lol). I don't really buy the "bpa" myth. I believe in fundamental football, and a strong foundation. In other words, you should never run to the podium and draft CJ Spiller in 45 seconds because you think he is the "bpa." This means little when you have Spencer Johnson at OLB.

If it was up to me, the choice would be between the best OLB, DT, QB, or ILB. And we would re-sign SJ, Chandler, Urbik, and others.

Jmo.

I wanted to draft Bulaga. But the kind of impact Spiller can make will far surpass anything Bulaga could do. Bulaga is probably on the level of Pears at this point.

However, I do think position does matter a bit in drafting BPA. The Bills believe Spiller could fit many roles, not just rb.

But remember, we could have traded WAY down and taken Bulaga, AND got extra picks. This matters.

I think we will go back to a 4-3 defense that Wanny prefers and draft Quinton Coples, DE. I'm sure they scouted him out last year when they had a look at Searcy and White. The next years defense would look some like this.

LDE Chris Kelsey.

DT Kyle Williams.

NT Marcell Dareus.

RDE Quinton Coples.

ROLB Shawn Merriman

MLB Nick Barnett.

LOLB Moats or Batten.

SS George Wilson

FS Byrd.

CB. Arron Williams

CB. McKelvin.

I Think that would be a great lineup.