was anyone else amazed that

....lybob

When I first heard them say that Stevie Johnson was the first Bills WR with consecutive 1000 yard seasons I thought they had to be wrong- I went and checked Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, and James Lofton (who had back to back 1000 yard seasons but for GB)- I find it Amazing SJ is the first guy to do it.

When I first heard them say that Stevie Johnson was the first Bills WR with consecutive 1000 yard seasons I thought they had to be wrong- I went and checked Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, and James Lofton (who had back to back 1000 yard seasons but for GB)- I find it Amazing SJ is the first guy to do it.

Today's average seasons were great ten or fewer years ago even.

That stat says a lot about how much the game has changed in recent decades. Remember, Jim Kelly's best year topped out just above 3000 yards, and this year, three QBs threw for 5,000+.....

but its only 66 yards per game.

Is it THAT hard?

Yes, i was amazed. You might expect that from a franchise that never has receivers, like Jacksonville.

Well no, it's not THAT hard in today's league. Plently of guys are doing it today when there were only a handful 12-15 years ago. But, that doesn't mean you dismiss the achievement outright. I know it's only 2 years, but it does show a level of consistency, health, and chemistry with your quarterback. Those are things you shouldn't let just walk out the door.

Especially when, as I've said before, Stevie is limited, not aided, by his natural talent. He's average height for a WR, but not particularly big and strong. He has average speed at best. He's not going to jump over anyone for the ball. His hands are maybe above average at best.

And yet, since a full time starter, he's put up very respectable numbers. Why? Because he's probably one of the top 5 route runners in the league. You can spring from the womb destined to be big, fast, strong, etc... You're not born with innate ability to run WR patterns. Stevie worked at it. And he succeeds at it.

Watching some of the away games this year, I was surprised to see how many times the color guy pointed out SJ's routes on plays. They loved it. SJ just knows how to play his position, his production confirms it.

Wow...that is amazing...I would have never guessed that. Andre Reed came very close to 7 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, but just a little off, every other year. Very odd.

That stat says a lot about how much the game has changed in recent decades. Remember, Jim Kelly's best year topped out just above 3000 yards, and this year, three QBs threw for 5,000+.....

Stating that, its even more amazing that Dan Marino threw for 5000+ yards all the way back in 1984 :worthy:

Kinda why it sucks for Andre Reed waiting to get into the HoF when you look at the numbers today's receivers are putting up

That's because Marv Levy, Jim Kelly, and Ted Marchibroda knew when it was time to run the damn ball, as Thurman's eight straight 1000 yard seasons attest. Only Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, and Emmitt Smith have done it.

That's because Marv Levy, Jim Kelly, and Ted Marchibroda knew when it was time to run the damn ball, as Thurman's eight straight 1000 yard seasons attest. Only Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, and Emmitt Smith have done it.

:thumbsup:

Stating that, its even more amazing that Dan Marino threw for 5000+ yards all the way back in 1984 :worthy:

Kinda why it sucks for Andre Reed waiting to get into the HoF when you look at the numbers today's receivers are putting up

+1 and +1

To your point the more time goes by the more pedestrian Reeds numbers will look. I really fear he will not make the HOF. Sadly, there is even less of a chance that Tasker will get there.

Today's average seasons were great ten or fewer years ago even.

Good point. It's a pass happy league, thanks to the rule changes benefiting QBs and receivers, The DB's are handcuffed. I'm willing to bet, although I don't have any stats to back it up, that ore pass interference penalties on the defense are called now that before. The theory now is chuck it up and if it's not completed, maybe you'll get a PI call.

that stat says a lot about how important Thurman Thomas was to this team. Andre Reed was the go-to guy in a very balanced attack, and his numbers while very respectable were never league leading. That's something the HOF should take into consideration when looking at him as a candidate. Singe season achievements for individuals in a team sport shouldn't be the only thing they look at.

No one is discrediting the stat, just some people are arguing that it doesn't make him one of the better WR's or a #1 in this league. When you look at the Bills of the past, and the league in general, it was a more balanced league on offence, teams ran the ball about as much as they threw it. The last few years things are pushing to more of a passing league and less running so it should be expected to have WR's having 1,000 yd seasons (as someone pointed out, thats only 66yds a game).

Also, stats can look even more impressive when that is all you look at. if you take into account the number of catches, and the yards per catch, your view can really change. The Bills threw the Ball ALOT since Chan took over, so its not surprising that the one WR who has stayed pretty healthy threw both seasons was able to rack up the yards. Look at Fitzs stats for yards in a season and compare those to Kelly, would you say that Fitz is better then Kelly or that Fitz is a #1 QB because of that stat?

No, because Reed/Lofton, Butler/Lewis played together, so there was some spreading of the wealth. As for Moulds, well, one Price left, teams focused on him.

Edited by jjmac

No one is discrediting the stat, just some people are arguing that it doesn't make him one of the better WR's or a #1 in this league. When you look at the Bills of the past, and the league in general, it was a more balanced league on offence, teams ran the ball about as much as they threw it. The last few years things are pushing to more of a passing league and less running so it should be expected to have WR's having 1,000 yd seasons (as someone pointed out, thats only 66yds a game).

Also, stats can look even more impressive when that is all you look at. if you take into account the number of catches, and the yards per catch, your view can really change. The Bills threw the Ball ALOT since Chan took over, so its not surprising that the one WR who has stayed pretty healthy threw both seasons was able to rack up the yards. Look at Fitzs stats for yards in a season and compare those to Kelly, would you say that Fitz is better then Kelly or that Fitz is a #1 QB because of that stat?

I have him rated as tied for 15th best WR so that solidly makes him a #1 WR - I do this with the very scientific method of asking myself would I trade SJ for WR X - yeah sorry he's not a top 5 guy but he is by far the Bills best WR and a Legit #1 if not a top tier guy.