Backup QB McElroy Calls Out the Jets

jangalang

Good for him for speaking his mind. Although it's talk like this that can come back to haunt you.

It will probably come back to haunt him while he is Jets player, but if I were any other team, I would be after this kid as it shows he wants to be a team player.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kid will be cut

Anyone else think that may have been the intention? Hard to get traded when you're a backup on IR, no body of work to attract anyone.

If you get a little PR and make yourself unpopular, maybe two good things will happen: 1) get cut 2) get picked up by someone else

Too cynical?

Edited by Hopeful

Greg McElroy Calls Out the Jets

This guy has some balls.

Wow, love it...Lets sign him, I liked him in college.

But seriously, the guy is flat out speaking the truth.

I know, I've posted this before, but it fits...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/2/2676605/rex-ryan-jets-media-war

Anyone else think that may have been the intention? Hard to get traded when you're a backup on IR, no body of work to attract anyone.

If you get a little PR and make yourself unpopular, maybe two good things will happen: 1) get cut 2) get picked up by someone else

Too cynical?

You make a good point, he is relatively unknown. Great way to advertise yourself, good or bad...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Speaking out the way he did (respectfully, intelligently, matter-of-factly) shows some brass. A good thing in a QB. Someone above mentioned he came from a winning program ('Bama) which enabled hime to recognize BS when he sees it - totally agree.

If the Jets are smart they give the kid a legitimate shot because they may not get much more mileage out of the Sanchise (LOL). If they are morons and cut the kid because he spoke out - I can only say, I hope we sign him!!

"Mr. Pouty" had a rather pedestrian 654 yards. Tellingly his replacement Turner scored a TD on the drive Holmes came out. His production can be replaced for not a lot of money.

Right but if the jets are only getting mediocre play from a low level starter, which does cost money - 15+ million is a lot of capspace to have tied up in the position of WR1. Further with plax seemingly unlikely to be back, you have to have two starters signed. Odds are to even have serviceable players outside, the jets will have to be over 20m and nearly 20% of their cap space. It's a really bad situation for them if they end up having to cut him, and they have to decide ASAP (before FA or the draft).

Speaking out the way he did (respectfully, intelligently, matter-of-factly) shows some brass. A good thing in a QB. Someone above mentioned he came from a winning program ('Bama) which enabled hime to recognize BS when he sees it - totally agree.

If the Jets are smart they give the kid a legitimate shot because they may not get much more mileage out of the Sanchise (LOL). If they are morons and cut the kid because he spoke out - I can only say, I hope we sign him!!

If it was coming from a guy like Mangold or D Revis or LT I would agree. But a guy that has not even stepped on the field this year it is really not his place to speak out & I doubt it goes over well with Rex & the Jets lockerroom. Just my opinion.

If it was coming from a guy like Mangold or D Revis or LT I would agree. But a guy that has not even stepped on the field this year it is really not his place to speak out & I doubt it goes over well with Rex & the Jets lockerroom. Just my opinion.

After what Rex Ryan, Holmes, Scott, Tomlinson et al have said over the course of the season, McElroy's comments should be praised. Who cares what his role is when he may be one of the few actually mature people in that locker room? If I were the Jets, I'd give him a shot at starter after clearing out the dead wood in 2012... someone has to be a real man, a real leader and step up.

After what Rex Ryan, Holmes, Scott, Tomlinson et al have said over the course of the season, McElroy's comments should be praised. Who cares what his role is when he may be one of the few actually mature people in that locker room? If I were the Jets, I'd give him a shot at starter after clearing out the dead wood in 2012... someone has to be a real man, a real leader and step up.

I take it you never played organized football at any level or for that matter any sport before? You don't become a leader by shooting your mouth off after you spent the whole year on IR for a thumb injury & were not even really part of the team. That is not the way to get respected. I am not saying it should not of been said, it just should of just been said by someone you know that actually stepped on the field at least once during the course of the season. It was not his place & I would not be surprised if the Jets cut him in the offseason. & please save the crap about if they do we should sign him. We already have enough crappy qbs on this roster.

Edited by Gordio

Mouthing off from the training table(or wherever you rehab a thumb) about your team to the press (as slightly injured rookie, no less) makes him "a real man", and "a real leader"?

That would lead me to conclude that you haven't come across either of those yet.

Totally agree with all the comments here about coming from a winning tradition (Bama).

Makes me love the Dareus pick even more. I like that attitude in our locker room and quite frankly I'd never draft a kid if he came from a college program that didn't have sustained success during his stay. This was one of the things that always baffled me about the mythological Bill Walsh Trent Edwards endorsement. Sure, the kid was smart, and yes, he had an okay arm and could throw with some accuracy, but he never WON. Period. On the flipside, I said repeatedly last year that far worse things could happen than seeing Andy Dalton in a Bills uniform (4 year starter at TCU, record over those 4 years: 44-8 with five of those losses coming in his freshmen year).

And to those saying "he was out of line" or "he did this to be cut/traded," the former may have some validity, the latter, not in a million years. Either way, he calls 'em like he see 'em. There's a right way to build/be part of a team, and a wrong way. I imagine John Wooden's approach to team building would strike some of you skeptics as Polly Anna. To that, I say PHOOEY!

Edited by The Big Cat

Totally agree with all the comments here about coming from a winning tradition (Bama).

Makes me love the Dareus pick even more. I like that attitude in our locker room and quite frankly I'd never draft a kid if he came from a college program that didn't have sustained success during his stay. This was one of the things that always baffled me about the mythological Bill Walsh Trent Edwards endorsement. Sure, the kid was smart, and yes, he had an okay arm and could throw with some accuracy, but he never WON. Period. On the flipside, I said repeatedly last year that far worse things could happen than seeing Andy Dalton in a Bills uniform (4 year starter at TCU, record over those 4 years: 44-8 with five of those losses coming in his freshmen year).

And to those saying "he was out of line" or "he did this to be cut/traded," the former may have some validity, the latter, not in a million years.

Yeah, that always confounded me as well...Why was a guy so highly touted, when he never even came close to winning. The only thing he proved in college was the ability to lose.

That showed in the pro's, he had some ability, but never the "fire" to actually get the job done...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Mouthing off from the training table(or wherever you rehab a thumb) about your team to the press (as slightly injured rookie, no less) makes him "a real man", and "a real leader"?

That would lead me to conclude that you haven't come across either of those yet.

It sure does.. no matter WHAT a man's status is within an organization, if has the guts and the ability to filter out BS and to get to the heart of the matter in an intelligent fashion, then he WILL succeed. It may not be with the Jets if they wish to remain corrupted, but this sort of person succeeds in life.

You don't know me, and so you have no business telling me you know ANYTHING about my life experience.

Edited by BmoreBills

It sure does.. no matter WHAT a man's status is within an organization, if has the guts and the ability to filter out BS and to get to the heart of the matter in an intelligent fashion, then he WILL succeed. It may not be with the Jets if they wish to remain corrupted, but this sort of person succeeds in life.

You don't know me, and so you have no business telling me you know ANYTHING about my life experience.

No, it was, as I stated, just a guess.

Anyway, if you think he will succeed because he is a very good QB, well hard to argue with that. If you think he will succeed and would have him on your team simply because he made comments to the press about a team he barely breaks bread with--well, that's one way to build a roster I'd say...

I would be wary of a noncontributor/nobody who spouts off to the press. Wouldn't want a kid like that in the locker room. If he was "real man" and a "real leader", he would have called a team meeting outside of earshot of the press and brought up his criticisms to those at whom they were directed.

Why didn't he do that?

Edited by Mr. WEO

In fact, not knowing the time, place, or channel to express it is an express ticket to failure. He didn't have some huge insight to the organization here. He was just the one to go on the radio instead of dealing with the people involved.

I would be wary of a noncontributor/nobody who spouts off to the press. Wouldn't want a kid like that in the locker room. If he was "real man" and a "real leader", he would have called a team meeting outside of earshot of the press and brought up his criticisms to those at whom they were directed.

This. On the other hand, if he wants to be let out of his contract so he can go to another team, it's a good way to start. Public criticism seldom helps team chemistry. If you got a star to whom you owe big bucks, you way the impact carefully.

If you got a seventh round draft choice coming off a season on IR who mouths off, just get the scissors.

Wanna bet he'll be injured again next season in training camp???

Assuming he makes it to training camp.

I would say Rex has officially lost control of this team, but he created this monster in the first place. That would be like saying Dr. Frankenstein lost control of his monster. He never had any control to begin with.

Welcome to the NFL which is really code for ego freaks unite against team or ME - ME - ME , which is why i like being a Bills fan win or lose !! And is another reason why SJ wouldn't fit there he is a team guy & the Bills need to get him signed or fire the SOB that let's him slide !!!! :thumbsup: