Nick Perry

EldaBillsFan

Maybe nobody on this board...he's the #1 ranked DE in the NCAA...lead the PAC 12 in sacks as a Jr and is considered one of the fastest DE's to come out in a while...Would be nice, but he's a top 10 pick. I wouldn't be against it as our #1 need is a pash rusher, but not sure if they go D-Line in rd 1 2 years in a row...but, who knows!

It's all about how each team ranks players..all the "experts" can place their value, but it doesn't matter unless some one who is calling the shots on each team agrees. I like the kid, he's ligit coming out of a conference that has some of the best passing attacks in the NCAA. I've seen him ranked as high as the 6th best player coming out this year...

Nick Perry strikes me as exactly the type of player the bills might covet.....either him or Upshaw

Remember.....the single biggest need of this team absolutely is guys who can get after the passer.....in the beginning I thought it would be corner.....but Williams and Rogers are actually showing they can play.......they have Florence under contract......they have big decisions to make on McKelvin and Mgee (who I really wish would stop getting hurt)

We need pass rush help.....I would not be upset if our first TWO draft picks went towards pass rushers....and we need OLB's regardless of what scheme we run next year.

Maybe nobody on this board...he's the #1 ranked DE in the NCAA...lead the PAC 12 in sacks as a Jr and is considered one of the fastest DE's to come out in a while...Would be nice, but he's a top 10 pick. I wouldn't be against it as our #1 need is a pash rusher, but not sure if they go D-Line in rd 1 2 years in a row...but, who knows!

Well hey ya'll isn't that where we're picking? If he's there when we pick, it would seem to fit with BPA (is he coming out for sure?)

Impression: Exhibits the first step to be a threat off the edge, however, hes isnt an overly dynamic athlete and struggles to drop his pad level when flattening out. Plus, he doesnt have much of a counter to his game at this point. Has some obvious talent, but is a guy who is going to need to develop a secondary move in order to mature into a productive NFL pass rusher. More of a potential starter only at this stage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20111223_usc_de_nick_perry_declares_for_the_draft_where_does_he_stand

What about Melvin Ingram? Seems to be universally ranked ahead of Upshaw or Perry. His only downfall seems to be that he is only a one year starter, however contributed 9 sacks last season despite not starting. Also is an SEC player which Buddy and Co. seem to prefer. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620606/melvin-ingram

Edited by Carey Bender

I like Perry a lot, but think he is going to be a 2nd Round pick. I don't see him going top 10 by any means. He had an excellent freshman year, but regressed last season. He's back to his Freshman form as a Junior. He seems like a guy who will be this year's Brooks Reed. He had big games against Oregon and Washington, but was held in check by the Stanford OL which has one of the top OT prospects in Jonathan Martin. His combine can help him, but I don't see it vaulting him into the top half of the 1st Round, maybe into the lower 1/3 where teams like the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Packers, Texans, and 49ers will all be.

Edited by H2o

which means he is gone before our 2nd round pick. and we won't go there with a top 10 pick... so if he is that good , forget about him

I like Perry a lot, but think he is going to be a 2nd Round pick. I don't see him going top 10 by any means. He had an excellent freshman year, but regressed last season. He's back to his Freshman form as a Junior. He seems like a guy who will be this year's Brooks Reed. He had big games against Oregon and Washington, but was held in check by the Stanford OL which has one of the top OT prospects in Jonathan Martin. His combine can help him, but I don't see it vaulting him into the top half of the 1st Round, maybe into the lower 1/3 where teams like the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Packers, Texans, and 49ers will all be.

Reading the negatives from that post, he sounds like one A.Maybin...

Nick Perry strikes me as exactly the type of player the bills might covet.....either him or Upshaw

Remember.....the single biggest need of this team absolutely is guys who can get after the passer.....in the beginning I thought it would be corner.....but Williams and Rogers are actually showing they can play.......they have Florence under contract......they have big decisions to make on McKelvin and Mgee (who I really wish would stop getting hurt)

We need pass rush help.....I would not be upset if our first TWO draft picks went towards pass rushers....and we need OLB's regardless of what scheme we run next year.

A+ John, well said.

Here's over 7 minutes of Nick Perry going against Jonathan Martin:

http://draftbreakdown.com/nick-perry-vs-jonathan-martin-2011

I'm gonna have to say that Perry looked pretty good against Martin and Stanford.

Luck was using a lot of short drops to keep the DE looping behind him.

He was also getting rid of the ball quickly.

Mix in the occasional TE or RB chip block and clearly Stanford was concerned about Perry.

Perry looks quite stout against the run, uses his hands well for a college guy, and has a nice combination of size, speed, quickness and power.

Here's almost 5 minutes of Nick Perry against Arizona:

http://draftbreakdown.com/nick-perry-vs-arizona-2011

I liked what I saw of Perry against Arizona too.

He looks like he plays hard.

Against Arizona he played a few snaps at LDE instead of RDE and it looks like he could be effective rushing from either side.

My one concern is that he always plays with his hand on the ground… I'd like to see him play out of 2-point stance.

Maybe in the All-Star games.

Don't forget QB and WR (if and when S Johnson leaves). Lots of ways to go with the top pick. The most important thing is to draft an impact player, regardless of position. No more Maybin fiascos.

hes gonna have to have a huge combine for him to work his way into the 1st round. they have no bowl game and people are worried about him not having a counter move. id still rather have upshaw since he can play different positions and is playing in a pro D already.

hes gonna have to have a huge combine for him to work his way into the 1st round. they have no bowl game and people are worried about him not having a counter move. id still rather have upshaw since he can play different positions and is playing in a pro D already.

If you look at the Stanford video, he went almost exclusively with an outside pass rush dip and rip.

Against Arizona, he used a lot more bull rushes and counter spins.

I like his raw talent.

As I posted earlier, he plays strictly DE in a 4-3 so that's a concern.

But I like his video a lot better than Coples… from the 60-70 plays I've seen of each.

it sounds like all these OLBs are 20ish picks and not top ten picks. In that event we should trade back and try to get two picks between 15-25 and get two of these OLBs. I know Buddy wont do that but we should, A) because we need two OLBS and B) because with our FO we will likely draft and least one bust.

PS No one is mentioning Hightower. I like him a lot. Plays both Inside backer and DE in passing situations. Not bad for 6'4'' 260lbs

Edited by Thoner7

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20111223_usc_de_nick_perry_declares_for_the_draft_where_does_he_stand

What about Melvin Ingram? Seems to be universally ranked ahead of Upshaw or Perry. His only downfall seems to be that he is only a one year starter, however contributed 9 sacks last season despite not starting. Also is an SEC player which Buddy and Co. seem to prefer. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620606/melvin-ingram

no thanks. he has the body of a full back. with a gut