A Baltimore Perspective On Lee Evans !!

T master

Put your spin on these stats:

http://www.nfl.com/p...2506097/profile

2011 Baltimore Ravens

G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

8 2 4 74 18.5 32 0

In 8 games played, Evans is averaging 0.5 Receptions per game and 9.25 yards per game. Evans was targeted 4 times in the Browns game and had 0 receptions.

Stats don't lie!

His entire spin/argument is that Evans still has a few games left. Just in case he "decides" to turn it on and light it up, since he has just been playing possum this whole time...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

terriffic post

Say what you want about Pro Bowl not meaning much...fine, there's some truth to that, but Mr. Peters was an All-Pro last year, which means he *IS* considered to be one of the very best at his position.

In my opinion, he was worth the money he was asking. And no, I don't fault any NFL player for holding out, ever. When players can be cut because they've underperformed a "contract", everyone should expect to get holdouts when they overperform their contract. If the contract was guaranteed then its a different issue in my book

Edited by Endless Ike

His entire spin/argument is that Evans still has a few games left. Just in case he "decides" to turn it on and light it up, since he has just been playing possum this whole time...

Still, even clinging with that argument at best he would have 1, possibility 2 good or great games out of 10/11/12 games. Clinging with that same argument and looking at his entire body of work throughout the year you can conclude he had yet another awful year. What is that 3 years in a row now? A so called #1 receiver with production that yields 3rd or 4th on NFL depth charts.

Just more evidence of good personnel decisions made since the Bills hired a real GM and got rid of Modrak. They had a great draft, and obviously got rid of an overrated player after he hit is prime. Not only that, but they got a decent draft pick in return. The Bronco's only got a 6th rounder for Lloyd, a much better receiver IMO.

Despite the let down this year (at least partially due to injuries), I still feel better about this team than I have in a long time. Next year will be key to seeing if the Bills are actually building something, or if this was just another "2008".

Evans had a nice, lucrative NFL career.. so no issues there. The Ravens went for it and lost out on Evans. But they also discovered Torrey Smith, so all good with the Ravens. The 4th rounder we got was very fair comp. and will be a valuable pick for the Bills. So all good with the Bills. So let it go and lets go forward and stop gloating on how we screwed the Ravens. We are also the team that let multiple future pro bowlers get away as well, so Bills fans should not throw stones when they live in a glass house. Let's just go forward and get a good player with that 4th rounder.

I'll admit... at the beginning of the season, I really thought Evans would have a huge year and really help to tramsform the Raven offense. Whether due to his injury, attitude, or whatever, I was wrong.I also, FWIW, really thought OchoCinco would have a career year with Brady throwing him the ball. Again, I was wrong.It reminds me of the old adage that free agents are more valuable to their existing team than to a new team. There is definitely some truth to that, despite the few examples (Sproles, for ex) of FAs really helping their new team. It's also Preseason thoughts like this, that remind me... I'm just a fan and no GM. So, like it or not, we gotta give Nix a chance to do his job and just hope he's better than a fan.

I was with you at the start. I even drafted both of these guys in my FF league. 7th and 8th round. Got even by drafting Freddy in round 6.

Evans had a nice, lucrative NFL career.. so no issues there. The Ravens went for it and lost out on Evans. But they also discovered Torrey Smith, so all good with the Ravens. The 4th rounder we got was very fair comp. and will be a valuable pick for the Bills. So all good with the Bills. So let it go and lets go forward and stop gloating on how we screwed the Ravens. We are also the team that let multiple future pro bowlers get away as well, so Bills fans should not throw stones when they live in a glass house. Let's just go forward and get a good player with that 4th rounder.

They can't let it go, because to the homers Evans was a bum. Peters was a bum, Lynch was a bum. Maybin was a bum. Poz and Whitner were bums. Greer, Leonhard were bums. It doesn't matter that this franchise has been so inept over the last decade that half the time they don't know the difference between a good player and a bad one...or even how to utilize players properly

Here is another novel idea, how about we wait and see what Evans does the rest of the season :P

Edited by Fear the Beard

I was happy when the Bills traded Evans, and I'm even happier today about it. I said at the time that the Bills know where they stand with Evans in his prime...4-12, 5-11 or 6-10. Let's see if that changes when they trade him. Well it didn't...so you might as well be happy with a 4th rd pick for the guy who never made your team THAT much better.

Why is this thread even going on still?

It's like this.......SCOREBOARD

Ravens got nothing from Evans so far and the Bills weren't even given anything for Evans this year.

The FUTURE compensation? A very late fourth round pick.

Stop me if I am not elated.

As for Peters....would you trade an All Pro LT straight up for an All Pro Center? Absolutely not. Factor in that Wood is not nearly as good of a center as Peters is a LT........and that Wood has been beset with injuries.......the trade has not worked out well. It looked bad then, it looks bad now.

Mark my words, if Wood gets hurt again next year and misses a few meaningful games....people are going to be on him about his glass frame. There is a mysterious tipping point where people realize that some people just keep getting injured. Not saying that is the case with Wood, but he has missed multiple games in all 3 seasons and about a seasons worth of games total in his first 3 years. You keep missing one out of 3 games and people will start questioning your worth to the team.

Ravens got nothing from Evans so far and the Bills weren't even given anything for Evans this year.

As for Peters....would you trade an All Pro LT straight up for an All Pro Center? Absolutely not. Factor in that Wood is not nearly as good of a center as Peters is a LT........and that Wood has been beset with injuries.......the trade has not worked out well. It looked bad then, it looks bad now.

Mark my words, if Wood gets hurt again next year and misses a few meaningful games....people are going to be on him about his glass frame. There is a mysterious tipping point where people realize that some people just keep getting injured. Not saying that is the case with Wood, but he has missed multiple games in all 3 seasons and about a seasons worth of games total in his first 3 years. You keep missing one out of 3 games and people will start questioning your worth to the team.

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Dick Drawn is railing against the Bills front office for not at least getting a 4th for a faded Lee Evans who was "obviously" on his last legs to everyone but the Bills staff. Oh and we're idiots too for caving into that fat tub Jason Peters who only plays hard when he wants a new contract.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'd do the trade of a Pro Bowl LT for a Pro Bowl LT and then finding a good LT. Again, Peters wasn't a major factor in the fortunes of either team.

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Dick Drawn is railing against the Bills front office for not at least getting a 4th for a faded Lee Evans who was "obviously" on his last legs to everyone but the Bills staff. Oh and we're idiots too for caving into that fat tub Jason Peters who only plays hard when he wants a new contract.

The Bills should have gotten a 2011 4th rounder for Evans...by going back in time and into an alternate universe where the lockout never happened.

Here is another novel idea, how about we wait and see what Evans does the rest of the season :P

Oh boy, I just can't wait to see Evans light it up in Baltimore :doh:

Bills fans waited the last few years and he didn't light it up. Ravens fans have been waiting all season long...and are still waiting.

Once Evans got his contract extended, his numbers took a nose dive.

Another thing with Peters, he got a mysterious injury that kept him out of the last few games in each of his last 2 years in Buffalo. Coincidence? Even though Peters is a good player, he was ungrateful and was lazy when he was in Buffalo. The Bills took him as an UDFA, gave him a shot on the O-line, gave him a good contract extension from his rookie contract, then pissed and moaned because he wasn't making the same kind of money as his other linemates.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Oh boy, I just can't wait to see Evans light it up in Baltimore :doh:

Bills fans waited the last few years and he didn't light it up. Ravens fans have been waiting all season long...and are still waiting.

Once Evans got his contract extended, his numbers took a nose dive.

Another thing with Peters, he got a mysterious injury that kept him out of the last few games in each of his last 2 years in Buffalo. Coincidence? Even though Peters is a good player, he was ungrateful and was lazy when he was in Buffalo. The Bills took him as an UDFA, gave him a shot on the O-line, gave him a good contract extension from his rookie contract, then pissed and moaned because he wasn't making the same kind of money as his other linemates.

Can't let it go...can ya :nana:

Evans got hurt. It was bad enough to put him on IR but they are a playoff team and hoped he might get back into game shape by now. He obviously hasn't. I think you are all assuming he would have had the same injury if he stayed here which is puzzling.

We haven't drafted with the 4th round pick yet so how can anyone say it was a good trade. What if our pick gets cut like a lot of 4th rounders do? Is it still a good trade? Do you like seeing Brad Smith run go routes? I don't.

I hated the trade, and felt that our SEVEN game losing streak had something to do with the fact that we didn't have guys getting open. The first Miami game was a joke, Fitz had literally nobody open, and obviously the way all of our receivers went down we limped along the rest of the year. Combine that with the Fitz slump and there goes our offense.

Not many 4th rounders are out there helping their team win. It thought it was too low and would've kept Lee for the rest of his contract.

Yeah, I guess an 8 year body of work that saw him average 3.2 rec and 51.3 yds a game isn't long enough. But I have heard he is an amazing decoy.

Not many 4th rounders are out there helping their team win. It thought it was too low and would've kept Lee for the rest of his contract.

So far, this regime has drafted Marcus Easley, Chris Hairston, and D'Norris Searcy in the 4th round.

Easley has not played in a regular season yet but has been medically cleared to continue his football career.

Hairston started several games for us this year, has played left and right tackle and has gotten numerous snaps in alternation with D Bell.

Searcy started one game and has gotten substantial playing time both from scrimmage and on special teams.

Both Hairston and Searcy have outperformed Evans this year at least.

The performance and contributions of all three Bills 4th rounders is quite likely to increase over the next few years.

Lee Evans on the other hand…

We haven't drafted with the 4th round pick yet so how can anyone say it was a good trade. What if our pick gets cut like a lot of 4th rounders do? Is it still a good trade?

Yes. If the guy we draft with the Lee Evans pick get hits by lighting and dies 5 minutes after hanging up the phone with us (don't laugh), it still is a good trade. It's a bad pick, but the trade itself would still be regarded as good. They are two separate things. Who we draft with that pick is irrelevant. There isn't a huge market for 30-year old receivers - Randy Moss went for a 4th when he was 30, so I think getting a 4th for Evans is fantastic.

Yippie, it's time to come out of the woodwork and crow about the Bills' offense after it put up a 40 spot on a good defense ....

I wonder if the talk would have been the same before last week's game, or during a certain 3-week stretch when the offense couldn't score one touchdown. Yes, I remember all the optimism of how the youngsters could just walk right into that No. 2 WR job because Evans was readily expendable and defenses had the same respect for Donald Jones as they did for Lee Evans. Never mind the psyche that the trade had on the team before the season started nor sealing the rep in the league about the Bills' front office priorities.

Yippie, it's time to come out of the woodwork and crow about the Bills' offense after it put up a 40 spot on a good defense ....

I wonder if the talk would have been the same before last week's game, or during a certain 3-week stretch when the offense couldn't score one touchdown. Yes, I remember all the optimism of how the youngsters could just walk right into that No. 2 WR job because Evans was readily expendable and defenses had the same respect for Donald Jones as they did for Lee Evans. Never mind the psyche that the trade had on the team before the season started nor sealing the rep in the league about the Bills' front office priorities.

Your point?

Your point?

Funny how all the guys who crowed about the Lee Evans trade in August suddenly woke up yesterday. Wonder why you were all quiet through half of October, all November and most of December?