A Baltimore Perspective On Lee Evans !!

T master

Bills fans had every excuse in the book for Evans: He hasn't had a QB to throw it to him, He hasn't had a #2 WR to compliment him, The O-line sucks, His Offensive Coordinators suck, The Offense sucks, They don't throw it enough to Evans...blah, blah, blah!!!

Evans is on team #2, the Ravens, and the Ravens fans are saying the exact same things we've said about Evans: He's a one-trick pony, he doesn't run good routes, he doesn't come back to the ball & help out the QB.

IMO, it was a great move by Boss Hogg to trade him. This says it all from the from the Baltimore Sun: "But at some point, Evans' odometer crossed an invisible barrier, and now it looks like the Bills robbed the Ravens."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills fans had every excuse in the book for Evans: He hasn't had a QB to throw it to him, He hasn't had a #2 WR to compliment him, The O-line sucks, His Offensive Coordinators suck, The Offense sucks, They don't throw it enough to Evans...blah, blah, blah!!!

Evans is on team #2, the Ravens, and the Ravens fans are saying the exact same things we've said about Evans: He's a one-trick pony, he doesn't run good routes, he doesn't come back to the ball & help out the QB.

IMO, it was a great move by Boss Hogg to trade him. This says it all from the from the Baltimore Sun: "But at some point, Evans' odometer crossed an invisible barrier, and now it looks like the Bills robbed the Ravens."

Clearly the bills had no use for Lee Evans because they have no deep passing game....right?? Or is it simply because Fitz doesn't have time to throw 5-7 step drop back passes. But then again, once Evans was no longer on the team the Bills they no longer had a perceived deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest and keep them from jamming the LoS. So in essence trading away their only real deep threat also hurt the short passing game. Smart move huh...

From the Ravens standpoint Evans was hurt most of the year and Evans only just recently started playing at the 3rd WR position, he spent time splitting with Tory Smith. Now that Bolden is injured Lee is going to be asked to play a much larger role in the offense, more then simply the sometimes 3rd WR. So it really remains to be seen if Evans can have a significant impact this season or not. Evans should have learned that Raven offense by now, its a question of learning to read QB Joe Flacco and making adjustments, also getting his timing down.

The Bills must wait a season or two to see if that 4th rounder for a former 1st rounder will pay off.

I'm thinking the Seahawks have been doing backflips over their trade, a measly 4th rounder for the #8 producing RB in the league this year, over 1000 yards and 12 TD's. Then considering the NO Saints were stating they would have given up a 3rd last year for Lynch, Boss hog was sleeping when the phone rang?

My take is the Bills screwed themselves on both the Evans and Lynch trades. IDC what the homers say.

I'll confess to wanting Evans to succeed - he was a likeable Bill with actual physical talent, and they seemed to unload him for the equivalent of a dollar and a cup of coffee. I therefore didn't like the move and criticized it. Twist my arm hard enough, though, and I'll confess that I thought he gave a very weak effort in OT against the Steelers last year when he failed to dive for a deep difficult-to-catch-but-potentially-still-catchable ball that would have put the Bills in easy FG range. Stevie Johnson took the barbs for his subsequent drop, but I still remember that Evans play. In retrospect, I think he played last year like he was entitled. Also, his veiled criticism of Trent Edwards over the years (whose game was predicated on accurate short-medium range passing) wasn't especially cool even if Edwards wasn't any good.

Edited by dave mcbride

Clearly the bills had no use for Lee Evans because they have no deep passing game....right?? Or is it simply because Fitz doesn't have time to throw 5-7 step drop back passes. But then again, once Evans was no longer on the team the Bills they no longer had a perceived deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest and keep them from jamming the LoS. So in essence trading away their only real deep threat also hurt the short passing game. Smart move huh...

From the Ravens standpoint Evans was hurt most of the year and Evans only just recently started playing at the 3rd WR position, he spent time splitting with Tory Smith. Now that Bolden is injured Lee is going to be asked to play a much larger role in the offense, more then simply the sometimes 3rd WR. So it really remains to be seen if Evans can have a significant impact this season or not. Evans should have learned that Raven offense by now, its a question of learning to read QB Joe Flacco and making adjustments, also getting his timing down.

The Bills must wait a season or two to see if that 4th rounder for a former 1st rounder will pay off.

I'm thinking the Seahawks have been doing backflips over their trade, a measly 4th rounder for the #8 producing RB in the league this year, over 1000 yards and 12 TD's. Then considering the NO Saints were stating they would have given up a 3rd last year for Lynch, Boss hog was sleeping when the phone rang?

My take is the Bills screwed themselves on both the Evans and Lynch trades. IDC what the homers say.

Regarding Lynch, it was best for both sides to part ways. Most Bills fans couldn't stand him, whereas now they love him (LMAO!), he likely got sick of the fans, Buffalo, and losing, and he was a concern for the FO with his off-field skirmishes and already having been suspended.

As for Evans, the Bills made out and the Ravens lost. There is no other conclusion. He was injured for most of the year, and when he did play, he did little. The deep threat was supposed to be Easley, but like Evans, he "got injured." Such is life since no one has a crystal ball. And Evans' time in the NFL appears to be drawing to a close, and being traded to a winner apparently didn't help his attitude and effort much.

The only QB Evans had success with was Losman. Losman's strength was his deep game (which is also Evans' strength), but in the short to intermediate game, Losman couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. Since Losman, Evans is now on his 3rd QB and is still not producing.

In regards to Lynch, here's what Whitner had to say about him:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/140275-whitners-comments/page__p__2344258__hl__whitner__fromsearch__1#entry2344258

"Interesting comment from Donte Whitner re Marshawn Lynch - basically that Lynch was overweight and out of shape when he played for Bills. Just one more terrible first round pick, this one courtesy of the owner himself. I know Lynch has talent, but he had a terrible attitude and was a lousy fit in Buffalo."

Lynch was a problem child and a trouble maker. He was one more incident away from being suspended for 1/2 the season. I don't know if some football players hate the city of Buffalo or the organization, but it seems like Buffalo drafts some players that have a serious attitude problem, and it effects their play. Look at Trash (McGahee), he played awesome the year he battled it out with Travis Henry to become the starting RB. Once Henry was traded, McGahee played like **** for his remaining time in Buffalo. Maybin is another player that fits this scenario.

Here's two trends that I hope Boss Hogg will will stop. Since 2000 the Bills have taken:

3 RB's No#1--McGahee, Lynch and Spiller plus they took Travis Henry @ 2 and also had taken Antowain Smith #1 in "97"..

4 DB's No#1--Winfield, Clements, Whitner and McKelvin, plus they developed Greer and last year took Williams @ #2...

Between them that is 7 #1 picks on RB's & DB's out of 12 (2000-2011) close to 60%. It's no wonder the Bills haven't been able to develop good Offensive or Defensive lines or have improve other positions. The Bills are always replacing talent, and not accumulating it.

Dan, if you're not gonna be a "know-it-all" hotshot, your opinions aren't welcomed around here.

This is no place for humility or accountability.

This forum is for people with 70 posts who are telling us what their opinions were before they joined the forum and for those who will never admit they were wrong.

Kindly unregister from the forum, turn in your gun and your badge.

Thank you and good bye.

lol ... so true!

*lowers head in shame and quietly sits in corner*

Regarding Lynch, it was best for both sides to part ways. Most Bills fans couldn't stand him, whereas now they love him (LMAO!), he likely got sick of the fans, Buffalo, and losing, and he was a concern for the FO with his off-field skirmishes and already having been suspended.

As for Evans, the Bills made out and the Ravens lost. There is no other conclusion. He was injured for most of the year, and when he did play, he did little. The deep threat was supposed to be Easley, but like Evans, he "got injured." Such is life since no one has a crystal ball. And Evans' time in the NFL appears to be drawing to a close, and being traded to a winner apparently didn't help his attitude and effort much.

There still are other conclusions as nothing is written in stone yet for either side.

As for the Ravens, last time I looked they where still in the division playoff hunt as they play @ Cincy this week. A win gives them the division. Even if they lose its still a playoff spot, and playoff money for Evans. You think he isn't happy as hell to be out of Buffalo about now?

How about we wait and see how he performs the rest of this season and possibly next season before we say there is no other conclusion.

BTW, Easley was never a proven product, and much like Shawn Merriman he just seems unlucky with injuries. It still remains to be seen if Easley can even fill Lee Evans shoes should he ever remain healthy an entire season. If the Bills don't beef up that O line so Fitz can throw deep that point will be moot anyway.

Evans had 4 targets last week but didn't catch a ball, probably why the sour grapes from Raven fans & writers. Like I stated earlier he probably still needs to get his timing down and get in sync with Flacco.

I'm rooting for Lee, I hope he gets the Ravens to a super bowl and gets his ring. He was a class act, did his job and for the most part kept quiet while playing for some crap Bills teams. Contrary to popular belief around here, 7-9 sucks, so 4-12 sucks worse,so does 6-9

It almost doesn't matter how the Evans trade works out. It will be remembered as another failure of the front office because we want to believe the Bills never come out on top in such deals. Just look at the revisionist history on Jason Peters. People still howl over that deal, even though we got Wood and Levitre out of it and Peters, while still getting Pro Bowl nods, is not playing up to his bloated contract...when he even plays.

PTR

FYI Lynch didn't do jack for the SeaGulls until the BeastMode Earthquake.

Evans still has maybe 4 more games to play this season.

I wouldn't say that the story is over on Evans production with the Ravens.

HOWEVER Lee Evans has no place on the Bills. The Bills "won" the trade even if Evans had 2,000 yards and 30TDs in 2011.

He is a career 850 yard, 6 TD a year receiver that can really only run 1 route, the deep go. The Bills' offense is not built for the Home Run pass, you can blame this on Fitz or Chan, who cares. It is a fact.

We got 900+ yards and 4 TDs out of Brad Smith\Donald Jones\Roosevelt\CJ Spiller\Ruvell Martin. They all played the "#2" role for a few games

Plus Stevie Is still on track for 1,000 yards 6 TDs, plus David Nelson has 600+ yards and 5 TDs.

So the main arguments for the (silly) people that wanted to keep Evans, was that

1.) He was double teamed on every play (not very likely) which opened up the field for Stevie

and

2.) Lee Evans' loss would mean the death of production for the Buffalo Bills passing game

The main point that everyone should be concerned with is that IT IS AN OPEN AND SHUT CASE THAT THE LOSS OF LEE EVANS HAD NO ILL EFFECT TO THE BILLS' PASSING GAME.

Who cares about the Ravens?

I actually believe that Evans hurt the Bills more than he helped in the Chan\Fitz offense, and still believe this to be true.

No one can really argue that Evans loss was felt on this offense. Feel free to make that argument but it is a pretty flimsy argument that's shows more about the poster than Lee Evan's usefulness in Buffalo.

Edited by Why So Serious?

From Ravens fans.

Lee Evans problem is that he doesnt attack the football he waits for it to come to him while. The defenders are going after it.

Evans was suppose to be a speedster that could lose his corner and draw in extra coverage opening up the field for gains over the middle but that didn't happen. :wallbash:

The first quote is extremely accurate to what we seen in Buffalo and the 2nd is the myth that he carried throughout his career in Buffalo. Atleast Ravens fans do not see through rose colored glasses. He has no route running skills and they realize this. I still remember those curl routes (one in preseason) and in the regular season of that same year we had TO. Evans runs a curl and stops instead of bringing his momentum and using his body to gain advantage over the CB to the ball. Pick six and those types of little things are on Evans!

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/43736-wr-and-passing-game/

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The Bills offense was top of the league through the first half of the season with Fitz being a top ranked passer, and Jackson as the league-leading RB. Evans's absence was not noticed while everyone on our OL and WR were healthy.

I find it disingenuous (at worst) and inaccurate (at best) that you mention the drafts of FORMER regimes compared to what we might do next draft while no mention of our solid 4th round picks from 2011.

Also neglecting the fact that McGahee HIMSELF did not want to be here, did not learn the playbook, and would not work out with the team. Furthermore, McGahee was demoted and sent packing by the Ravens before finding new success with the Broncos. Congrats Willis, it only took 7 years to be the runner we all thought you could be.

As far as Peters and his pro-bowls go... Fitz is still in the running to end up in the Pro Bowl this year. Right behind him, Tebow. What does that tell you about the correlation that Pro-bowl = Best at Position? It's a popularity contest, and if you are an OL, once you get on, you keep getting voted back based on name alone (see: Ruben Brown).

The only reason behind your premise that both teams lost is due to unforeseen injuries to at least 3 of our WRs. We had replacements for Evans, they just didnt make it through the season. However, given our Offense's production up until the injury bug bit, I'd say the Bills definitely made out on the deal.

You don't trade players just because they don't want to be there. Losing causes that. Winning changes it. I thought we had established that entertaining players whims like that was really bad for business in Buffalo? Remember the holdouts of Peters, Schobel and Lynch? Man you have a short memory.

Not only did they get jack for McGahee, they then smoked another #1 pick on his replacement Marshawn Lynch. It was a true clusterfuk of a sequence of events.

Peters is a dominant player. He is not just a pro bowl participant or electee, he is an All Pro candidate. There is a difference, look it up. When you are considered among the very few best LT"s in the league, you are a damn good football player. Wood is good, but he is just an interior lineman and has not proven durable. Bad trade.

It almost doesn't matter how the Evans trade works out. It will be remembered as another failure of the front office because we want to believe the Bills never come out on top in such deals. Just look at the revisionist history on Jason Peters. People still howl over that deal, even though we got Wood and Levitre out of it and Peters, while still getting Pro Bowl nods, is not playing up to his bloated contract...when he even plays.

PTR

Revisionist?

You mean like declaring Andy Levitre part of the Peters trade?

Wrong.

They got a late #1 pick, which they used on the beleaguered Eric Wood and a #4 pick which they used on a TE named Shawn Nelson.

Peters will be going to his 3rd Pro Bowl since the trade and is GETTING BETTER. At 29 he has many good years ahead of him at LT, a position that the Bills would probably entertain using their first round pick on this spring if a player near Peters ability were there. The trade sucked balls.

From Ravens fans.

Lee Evans problem is that he doesnt attack the football he waits for it to come to him while. The defenders are going after it.

Evans was suppose to be a speedster that could lose his corner and draw in extra coverage opening up the field for gains over the middle but that didn't happen. :wallbash:

The first quote is extremely accurate to what we seen in Buffalo and the 2nd is the myth that he carried throughout his career in Buffalo. Atleast Ravens fans do not see through rose colored glasses. He has no route running skills and they realize this. I still remember those curl routes (one in preseason) and in the regular season of that same year we had TO. Evans runs a curl and stops instead of bringing his momentum and using his body to gain advantage over the CB to the ball. Pick six and those types of little things are on Evans!

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/43736-wr-and-passing-game/

No question, the guy is soft and always was. The same people that are hailing the trade now were the ones who were outraged when I used to bring up the fact that the guy won't go over the middle.

However, he is a deep threat and he had been very durable until he suffered an injury very late last year. And they missed him when he did.

We aren't talking about the typical Bill who is on IR 2 out of 3 years, he was always healthy as a pro and there is no telling if he wouldn't have remained so in Buffalo and provided more of a contribution to the team.

To me, it was a bad gamble. I want to win now and a 4th round pick is traditionally not much value at all AND it's deferred value at that.

I do expect him to have somewhat of a bounce back year next year and it wouldn't surprise me if he made a big game-changing play in the playoffs because that's what he does.

There still are other conclusions as nothing is written in stone yet for either side.

As for the Ravens, last time I looked they where still in the division playoff hunt as they play @ Cincy this week. A win gives them the division. Even if they lose its still a playoff spot, and playoff money for Evans. You think he isn't happy as hell to be out of Buffalo about now?

How about we wait and see how he performs the rest of this season and possibly next season before we say there is no other conclusion.

BTW, Easley was never a proven product, and much like Shawn Merriman he just seems unlucky with injuries. It still remains to be seen if Easley can even fill Lee Evans shoes should he ever remain healthy an entire season. If the Bills don't beef up that O line so Fitz can throw deep that point will be moot anyway.

Evans had 4 targets last week but didn't catch a ball, probably why the sour grapes from Raven fans & writers. Like I stated earlier he probably still needs to get his timing down and get in sync with Flacco.

I'm rooting for Lee, I hope he gets the Ravens to a super bowl and gets his ring. He was a class act, did his job and for the most part kept quiet while playing for some crap Bills teams. Contrary to popular belief around here, 7-9 sucks, so 4-12 sucks worse,so does 6-9

I'm sure at the time Evans was happy to be traded to a playoff team. Now, after his effort in the last game was questioned, his season has been a washout, and he knows he'll be gone after the season, I doubt he's all that happy. He'll need to perform like a monster in the playoffs for the Ravens to even consider bringing him back. Will that happen? Doubtful at best. So again, the Bills won the trade since Evans did little for the Ravens and the Bills got their 4th rounder.

FYI Lynch didn't do jack for the SeaGulls until the BeastMode Earthquake.

Evans still has maybe 4 more games to play this season.

I wouldn't say that the story is over on Evans production with the Ravens.

HOWEVER Lee Evans has no place on the Bills. The Bills "won" the trade even if Evans had 2,000 yards and 30TDs in 2011.

Actually, if Evans had 2,000 yards and 30 TD's, I'd say the Ravens easily won the trade.

You don't trade players just because they don't want to be there. Losing causes that. Winning changes it. I thought we had established that entertaining players whims like that was really bad for business in Buffalo? Remember the holdouts of Peters, Schobel and Lynch? Man you have a short memory.

Not only did they get jack for McGahee, they then smoked another #1 pick on his replacement Marshawn Lynch. It was a true clusterfuk of a sequence of events.

Peters is a dominant player. He is not just a pro bowl participant or electee, he is an All Pro candidate. There is a difference, look it up. When you are considered among the very few best LT"s in the league, you are a damn good football player. Wood is good, but he is just an interior lineman and has not proven durable. Bad trade.

The Bills were right to trade Peters. And nothing he's done so far has changed that opinion. Schobel retired, so he doesn't even belong in the discussion. And Lynch was a matter of a guy who'd worn out his welcome with the team and fans with off-field incidents, and who, according to a former teammate, didn't put enough work into preparing and staying in shape. It's funny how everyone hated him just 2 years ago, and now it's a huge mistake having traded him.

"The Bills receiving corps instantly lost it's proven deep threat. The lack of one certainly did end up hurting as defenses compressed the field and snuffed out a Bills offense that in the first two months of the season had the Bills poised for their first playoff appearance in forever

McGahee just keeps being productive.

The Peters trade was trumpeted as a victory as well. Peters just keeps going to pro bowls and collecting all pro votes."

HUH !! Peters was a cancer & if i remember correctly we beat them this year & i've seen some games where he looked terrible . Mcgahee is just an out & out ass that threw B-lo under the bus every chance he got & was ungrateful to the team that took a chance on him IN THE FIRST ROUND .

Oh & what were Evans stats the year before the trade ?? We have had rookies do better than he did , heck Jones did as much in his few games this year as Evans did in a complete year 2 years ago . And i sure don't think it hurt Stevie all that much this year , playing hurt probably did Stevie more harm & the loss of Easley also hurt us so i don't see your thought pattern being valid at all !!! :oops:

Edited by T master

They got a late #1 pick, which they used on the beleaguered Eric Wood...

BELEAGUERED???? :lol: Have to add spin to prop up your arguments? I was wrong about Levitre but we both forgot to mention Danny Batten who came from the 2010 6th rounder we got for Peters.

PTR

You don't trade players just because they don't want to be there. Losing causes that. Winning changes it.

Yes, winning will change it, but winning isn't possible if the players do not want to put in the effort. Once the player stops putting forth the effort, then the player is nothing more than part of the problem.

Mcgahee was a joke. The guy severely lacks intrinsic motivation. Unless he can carry some chip on his shoulder in an effort to prove somebody wrong, the guy is nothing more than your average dime a dozen RB.

The only reason he is "productive" in Denver right now is the same reason he was "productive" his first year in Baltimore. He's got a chip on his shoulder.

During his second offseason in Baltimore, the Ravens and their fans got to see the McGahee the Bills were so willing to get rid off. The one that refused to show up for workouts and OTA's. The one that showed up to the Ravens TC out of shape, and in Harbaugh's doghouse.

The Bills used their 4th and 3rd round picks to move up in the 2nd to take Levitre, if it wasn't for the extra 4th gained in the Peters trade they may have never made the move. So yes, Levitre is here in part because of the Peters trade.

Peters has been great this year, but so has Levitre and Wood was playing really well until the injury shut him down.

We don't have to wait on the results of this trade, Evans was overrated and we got something for basically nothing. Willing to bet that Evans is cut in the offseason.