Would Brees have broken the record

stevestojan

The record couldnt have been broken by a better guy, but i do have to wonder if he would have done it without needing to go 80 yards on nearly every drive. Admittedly i dont have the stats for % of touchbacks for the Saints specifically, but i do wonder how much eliminating drive starts from the 25, 30, etc helped him in breaking this record.

That said, great job Drew.

Edited by stevestojan

The record couldnt have been broken by a better guy, but i do have to wonder if he would have done it without needing to go 80 yards on nearly every drive. Admittedly i dont have the stats for % of touchbacks for the Saints specifically, but i do wonder how much elimiatimg drive starts from the 25, 30, etc helped him in breaking this record.

Well, the 40 td throws are all your looking at really for that difference and some of those would have been touchbacks or lackluster runs.... So say 30 drives extended by 5 yards or so?

Long story short - he would have broken by a long shot still.

Interesting stat they showed during the game -- Brees exceeds the league passing yards average by more this year than Marino did in 1984. I would have assumed otherwise.

So glad Brees did this instead of Brady.

Rodgers is getting (and deserves) a ton of attention but brees is quietly putting up a monstrous season. People are writing it off as "just the rule changes" pretty often but his "value above replacement" is a huge gap. I don't know exactly where he's sitting now but last I saw he's a shade shy of 72% completions while pushing the ball downfield for that yardage. Unreal.

The commentators on MNF & i think they said even Marino had made a mention (but didn't want to take anything away from Brees accomplishment) that the game is different now from what it was when Marino did it & that is with any record in the modern era .

OJ did his deal in 14 game season all the rest came in 16 game seasons which i don't know which of any of the records that fell may have been broken in less than 16 games but the end result is they had 2 more games to get the total that is in the record books .

Which doesn't really i guess take anything away from it but when you have more time to do the same thing in it makes sense in the football situation that it would be an easier goal to reach . But as you said it couldn't have went to a better guy , when he spoke in the locker room he gave credit to all that helped him get there , he said there was only one name on the record but the entire organization helped him in achieving the record .

If that isn't a class act i don't know what is ! And just think he was almost a Bill !!!!

Kind of makes you feel for the Chargers a little. They drafted and traded Eli (won a SB over the undefeated Pats), and ditched Brees (won a SB, and is breaking NFL records), all for Rivers who all of the sudden doesn't look so good...

I could see this dragging on for decades at TBD if this happened to the Bills...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Kind of makes you feel for the Chargers a little. They drafted and traded Eli (won a SB over the undefeated Pats), and ditched Brees (won a SB, and is breaking NFL records), all for Rivers who all of the sudden doesn't look so good...

I could see this dragging on for decades at TBD if this happened to the Bills...

They gave up on Gibran Hamdan too soon... :ph34r:

To the OP: Yes, he broke the record with a game still to be played.

Excellent observation. :thumbsup:

If Ralph wasn't so cheap the Bils could have signed Brees. :P

The record couldnt have been broken by a better guy, but i do have to wonder if he would have done it without needing to go 80 yards on nearly every drive. Admittedly i dont have the stats for % of touchbacks for the Saints specifically, but i do wonder how much eliminating drive starts from the 25, 30, etc helped him in breaking this record.

Well considering that TD returns are up since the change and Brees was just a few yards short a couple years ago before the change, YES he still would have broken it

Brees was just 15 yards shy of Marino's record (which is still more impressive because it was before the era of putting a skirt on QB's and opening-up the passing game) in 2008. So the answer would be "no."

+1.

The ridiculous liberal interpretation of pass interference is much more pertinent to the discussion. CBs have had to play it safer and marginally relax their coverage or the other team gets automatic yards even if the WR might not have made the catch.

Defenses have been neutered. CBs can't breathe on WRs without getting flagged. I will reference the game this past Sunday where McKelvin got flagged --- at least from what I saw he played it cleanly with minimal incidental contact (which the WR actually initiated by having to stop short for a slightly underthrown pass) but because he didn't turn his head, he got the yellow. Everything else was clean, but "he didn't turn his head!" the announcers said. :censored: that stevestojan! Is a CB's penis supposed to contort to face the ball too? What does it matter what direction his head is turned if he played the WR cleanly? I don't get it.

How far backwards is this league going to bend in favor of offenses? How close to Arena League are we going to get? And at the very least, instant replay needs to be extended to PI. You're telling me they can review whether a ball moved 2 inches beyond where they marked it, but they can't review a bullstevestojan judgment call that can result in a 20-, 30-, or 90-yard play?

This is killing the game, IMO.

And the person who caught the ball in the end one for the record beater was none other then... Sproles. Who has been lights out for the saints this year after leaving san Diego.

Interesting stat they showed during the game -- Brees exceeds the league passing yards average by more this year than Marino did in 1984. I would have assumed otherwise.

So glad Brees did this instead of Brady.

exactly. that stat shows that the kickoff rule is not relevant.

plus like another poster said, he almost did it in 08. kickoff rule not relevant again.

congrats drew brees!!!!