And with the 2012 selection the Buffalo Bills Selet....

UticaBill

OK so I was starting to think about the draft. I know most of you have been thinking about it for the past 6 weeks or so.... But I have been evaluating exactly what we do or don't have on the roster. I factored in guys coming back off injuries, and I made the assumption that with a healthy line and healthy Receivers and healthy Tight Ends that Fitz could easily return to the form he showed for over a season's worth of games.

That being said, I still think you draft a QB with Fitz being 30 now. No need to draft high yet, a project is all that is needed at this point.... someone who at least can be a solid #2 needs to get groomed.

Obviously the Bills need depth, every team does. So what are the positional weaknesses of the Bills? I think our biggest problem is pretty obvious. We lack the personnel to play the 3-4 or hybrid or whatever that putrid excuse for a defense was we had all year. (They have looked better since Wannstedt took over)

So first is utilizing the personnel to its best.... Switch to the 4-3 and use both Kyle Williams and Dareus inside allowing us to plug the middle and force teams to devote two lineman to each! The next factor is a Pass Rusher.... we tried to fit Dareus into the role but he's just a much better player inside. I look at the prospects coming out and 'lo & Behold I see Quinton Coples (A natural end who shifted inside his senior year) projected as #8 overall... Since the Bills are picking inside the top 10 again, I am shooting for us to take Coples and finally get a 4-man pass rush other teams MUST deal with.

OK I know, our LB's are seriously lacking.... True, but I think a switch to a 4-3 would help us a lot in the middle. I also think that Merriman is done. So an OLB is also a big need.... I don't see any Candidates on the Radar in the Draft, so it looks like a Free Agent pickup is needed. The OLB draft crop is pretty thin and unexciting this year.

Mr. Wilson recently commented on getting a TE and while we have a good one in Scott Chandler, the Addition of Orson Charles in Round two could add some excitement to the mix. (Secretly I hope Dwayne Allen falls to us) Like the Patriots have shown, having TWO good TE's is a great idea.

Now I don't think we have bad WR's at all but they all seem to have trouble staying healthy, not to mention that Roscoe Parrish is a Free Agent and won't be back. The Bills Draft at least one WR every year so a kid like Brian Quick who is 6-4 #220 and fits the Bills mold. WR's take 2-3 yrs to develop and this kid can play outside and be a red zone threat. We need to get the #2 WR spot solidified.

after the 3rd round I always say Best Player Available.

We will also take a DB, OLB, ILB, OL and a QB in the other spots... we have a an extra 4th for Lee Evans.... Do we have any other compensation out there?

Edited by UticaBill

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only positions that the Bills don't need help in are:

- Center

- Guard

- RB

- Safety

- TE (if you believe in Chandler - I'm not sure yet)

Other than those spots the Bills could use help everywhere. I don't see 1st round QB talent being available when the Bills pick in the 1st round so I agree, put the QB position aside in round 1 and draft a project.

In the 1st round I'd like to see the Bills select the player who has their highest rating and plays one of the following positions: OLB, WR, MLB. I would not draft a OT, CB or TE in round 1.

Just my opinion

I say we need to get RG3 by any means. We just have to get a QB. Give up this yrs first, next yrs first plus a player if you have to.

Fitz as much as I like him won't get you to the Super bowl.

We can use the rest of the draft on a DE, OLB, WR. I want a QB that can win. We don't have that right now.

I say we need to get RG3 by any means. We just have to get a QB. Give up this yrs first, next yrs first plus a player if you have to.

Fitz as much as I like him won't get you to the Super bowl.

We can use the rest of the draft on a DE, OLB, WR. I want a QB that can win. We don't have that right now.

Have we won any games this year? If yes, then we have a QB that can win. We do not, however, have a team that can sustain winning.

Now I don't think we have bad WR's at all but they all seem to have trouble staying healthy, not to mention that Roscoe Parrish is a Free Agent and won't be back. The Bills Draft at least one WR every year so a kid like Brian Quick who is 6-4 #220 and fits the Bills mold. WR's take 2-3 yrs to develop and this kid can play outside and be a red zone threat. We need

I wonder if AJ Green and Julio Jones know this?

Our WR corps is pathetic. Even when healthy they are no great shakes. Nelson and Chandler are the only ones worth keeping. Ok, if you think SJ is, then SJj too. We need a couple of studs to round out the line up. Draft the best WR when we pick and then sign a FA like Colston or Meachum or Wayne or LLoyd or Jackson or Manningham or Burress or Royal or Gonzalez or Edwards or any of the other good ones out there.

the best thing to help a mediocre to above mediocre QB is WRs who can catch the ball. Even the bad passes.

Edited by reddogblitz

The TEs who don't get hurt quote is kind of laughable, but then again, is it?

They've drafted

Shawn Nelson (4th) - migraines, injuries, supposedly big upside

Kevin Everett (3rd) - career-ending spinal injury

Tim Euhus (4th), Derek Fine (4th) - basically the same high-motor, low-productivity white guy

The all-time best Bills TEs are Jay Riemersma (7th rd), and of course, Metzelaars (trade, drafted 3rd round by Seattle). McKeller and Reuben Gant might be characterized as effective. Either way, the Bills have not had a modern-day TE the likes of Gates, Gonzales, Sharpe, Dallas Clark, Witten... well, ever. It seems like they are so essential to a good offense, but not easy to come by.

Sharpe was a 7th rounder, Gates famously an UDFA, Witten a third. Gonzales and Clark were firsts. There's certainly no formula. We just need one. I think Chandler is definitely part of the puzzle, and wouldn't mind if we got another one with real upside who "doesn't get hurt," with a second- or third-day pick.