Change of Offense

jjmac

I'm beginning to think we should totally change our style of offense from this pistol crap to a ball control type system, a la Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Roosevelt Leaks, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, and Mark Brammer. What do you all think?

Edited by jjmac

I think he should be doing that with Fitz now.

I agree, our best game of this pathetic losing streak was against the Jets when Fitz operated moslty from under center. I would like for Fitz to stand up and tell Gailey where he's more comfortable, this all out shotgun mode needs to change.

I'm beginning to think we should totally change our style of offense from this pistol crap to a ball control type system, a la Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Roosevelt Leaks, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis, and Mark Brammer. What do you all think?

Yes! The spread sucks and it makes it hard to be physical when your mindset is pass-blocking all day. We have the biggest line in the league, two of the biggest TEs and one of the biggest and incredibly physical and devastating fullbacks in McIntyre and we go five wide and throw a 3 yrd pass :wallbash: . its like Chan and Nix aren't on the same page; Chan runs a finesse offense with big bruisers and then we draft 34 defensive players and run a 43 :doh:

This should be made into one of those "Real man of Genius commercials".

Some great but obvious insights mentioned: Why are we so dead set on passing all the time? It seems like we're passing 3 times more than we are running, and the funny thing is, our running is the only thing working! It's almost as if Chan was told to try to lose!

Also, Indeed - why are we so confused on defense? Any Coordinator on any other team in the league, who had the worst defense in team history in his first year, and then manages to have an even worse defense in the second year, despite drafting defense heavy two years in a row, would be fired by now. I know, why fire him now? What good will it do? With that mindset, they better be trying to lose for a QB - because, look at the two interim coaches this week - Miami and K.C. - both wins, one over the G.B. Packers! Why fire our D.C. now? Doesn't that also suggest the replacement isn't on the payroll already - because, if he were, don't you think we'd of fired him by now? So, what is up with Wanny?

And, when it comes to drafting players and extending contracts - and all the major decisions on this team - doesn't it seem like there is some MAJOR ELEPHANTS IN THE ROOM KIND of stuff going on here? I mean, they draft guys for a style of football that Nix says is good for this climate, and then they play some totally opposite style offense and their defensive players, who they drafted to play certain positions - Moats, for instance - are benched to let DT/DE's play OLB - what is going on here? I'm beginning to wonder if Fitz's contract wasn't pushed along by the men upstairs - at least, it seems as if there are major players in this organization with very different points of view, and instead of working together, they're fighting, using their authority where they can, despite conflicting with what the next guy is trying to do. That - all that mysterious dysfunction that we know is happening, but about which no one openly talks, is why no one of real talent or importance will come here - it is a sinking ship, with real losers making too many important decisions.

Chan ran the offense optimal to Fitzpatrick's skill set at the beginning of the season. Five receivers spread out and a bunch of slants and screens. Fitzpatrick hasn't so much regressed as defenses have caught on. His limited abilities leave us with few options.

Or in other words were running a college level offense. And very poorly to boot. With a coach who is unaware that the league has figured it out.

We are a NFL football team we should be able to run multiple formations throughout the coarse of a game.

Some great but obvious insights mentioned: Why are we so dead set on passing all the time? It seems like we're passing 3 times more than we are running, and the funny thing is, our running is the only thing working! It's almost as if Chan was told to try to lose!

Also, Indeed - why are we so confused on defense? Any Coordinator on any other team in the league, who had the worst defense in team history in his first year, and then manages to have an even worse defense in the second year, despite drafting defense heavy two years in a row, would be fired by now. I know, why fire him now? What good will it do? With that mindset, they better be trying to lose for a QB - because, look at the two interim coaches this week - Miami and K.C. - both wins, one over the G.B. Packers! Why fire our D.C. now? Doesn't that also suggest the replacement isn't on the payroll already - because, if he were, don't you think we'd of fired him by now? So, what is up with Wanny?

And, when it comes to drafting players and extending contracts - and all the major decisions on this team - doesn't it seem like there is some MAJOR ELEPHANTS IN THE ROOM KIND of stuff going on here? I mean, they draft guys for a style of football that Nix says is good for this climate, and then they play some totally opposite style offense and their defensive players, who they drafted to play certain positions - Moats, for instance - are benched to let DT/DE's play OLB - what is going on here? I'm beginning to wonder if Fitz's contract wasn't pushed along by the men upstairs - at least, it seems as if there are major players in this organization with very different points of view, and instead of working together, they're fighting, using their authority where they can, despite conflicting with what the next guy is trying to do. That - all that mysterious dysfunction that we know is happening, but about which no one openly talks, is why no one of real talent or importance will come here - it is a sinking ship, with real losers making too many important decisions.

Bum Phillips (Wade's father) once said this about Bear Bryant: "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n." Just think what Belichick could do with this team! They would certainly win, and maybe even dominate!

We are a NFL football team we should be able to run multiple formations throughout the coarse of a game.

No question about that, but let's do so in a system a little more Fitz-friendly.

Edited by jjmac

Short passing game is the epitome of the ball control offense. Oops. I forgot, you have to actually stick to a successful running game, too.

I have no problem with the spread offense as it really opened up our run game this year. But I don't like the overuse of 4 and 5 wide when a 3 WR, TE set does the same to spread a defense and gives you more options.

GO BILLS!!!

In order to play ball control type offense you have to have a good defense.....because you are not going to score a lot of points.

OK, I'm up for this discussion. About how many points would you say is a reasonable average per game that would give us a chance to win?

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see a more conventional 2 back system happening instead of the single back . Use a FB to help open things up & pound the ball & take some of the punishment of the main back I remember when Braxton was bustin people out of the back field it was great !!

The team should run a different "themed" offense every game.

That'd be very cool to watch, and impossible to get game tape on.

Week One, you run the Wishbone. Week Two, Air Coryell. Week Three, Run and Shoot, Week Four, West Coast offense, etc.