Latest SI QB rankings out. Fitz smack dab

Chandler#81

http://sportsillustr...html?xid=cnnbin

Given that there's only 32 of these jobs in the world, does this give credence to our guy?

I think so. As many here have noted, his mechanics have changed dramatically since the big shot he took to the mid-section -official NFL Injury status be damned. He's using so much more of his body to launch throws than earlier in the season and his accuracy has taken a big dip as a result. Add to this, the uncanny amount of drops by a depleted WR corp, an ever-changing OL due to injuries and the loss of F-Jax, and it's no wonder his play is slipping.

We know he's smarter than the average bear, can quickly read defenses and commands the respect of the huddle. These are not attributes to be taken lightly, even if he isn't Peyton Brady (sic).

I think this season is lost -again..- but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him. Certainly, we've had much worse ranked QB's this century. Draft a future QB? Sure! But IMHO, chasing Ryan out of town isn't necessary. I believe we can win with him at the helm and a better supporting cast.

Edited by Chandler#81
ISN'T

While Fitzpatrick has had his fair share of off the target throws, he has had an awful lot of key drops by his WRs and RBs. He threw a dropped game winner to Stevie in NY and Spiller dropped a sure TD pass last game also.

All we need for the playoffs in 2012 is a defense and have the offense clean up their sloppy act.

Given the fact the receiving corps have been decimated by injury, and a complete lack of defense, putting the offense in constant "Must Score", pass happy mode, I am not surprised he is ranked in the middle, but I do think just a little better defensive play, allowing a more balanced attack alone would have allowed Fitzpatrick to be a more efficient passer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/12/07/quarterback.ratings/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Given that there's only 32 of these jobs in the world, does this give creedence to our guy?

I think so. As many here have noted, his mechanics have changed dramatically since the big shot he took to the mid-section -official NFL Injury status be damned. He's using so much more of his body to launch throws than earlier in the season and his accuracy has taken a big dip as a result. Add to this, the uncanny amount of drops by a depleted WR corp, an ever-changing OL due to injuries and the loss of F-Jax, and it's no wonder his play is slipping.

We know he's smarter than the average bear, can quickly read defenses and commands the respect of the huddle. These are not attributes to be taken lightly, even if he isn't Peyton Brady (sic).

I think this season is lost -again..- but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him. Certainly, we've had much worse ranked QB's this century. Draft a future QB? Sure! But IMHO, chasing Ryan out of town is necessary. I believe we can win with him at the helm and a better supporting cast.

Agreed, he would definitely be considered a bear.

I don't think many Bills' fans dispute that Fitz is an average to above-average NFL QB. Sixteenth is average. I think that's a little low and would put him around 12. You look at that list and "elite" should be reserved for the top 3, maybe 4. Some of the list is a total joke. Tebow 5? Alex Smith 6? Sanchez 11? Matt Moore 14? I understand that it is based on play for just this year, but come on. For those four guys its like a list of QB plus team defense combined.

I think these rankings are pretty fair, though Mark Sanchez shouldn't be 11. I'd say he's more like #20

I have problems all around with these rankings. They seem very inconsistent.

Tebow is an amazing athlete. There's no doubt he is leading his team to win.

But as a quarterback, he simply shouldn't be rated #5. He doesn't even appear in the NFL QB rankings, because in order to appear one must have thrown 14 passes per game.

He's completing a mighty 47.5% of his passes. Yes, he's had amazing comeback drives, and if he were a more competent all-around QB, the amazing comeback wouldn't be needed.

Contrast this with Cam Newton. He shows the potential to become an amazing passer. Some of the throws he makes are unreal.

He's also completing 60.8% of his passes, his QB rating is 82.4, he's thrown more INTs than TD which I have on the authority of many TBD articles indicates sucky unacceptable QB play.

Most important, his team is l-o-s-i-n-g.

Tebow is ranked #5 and Newton #9 in these SI ratings. Alex Smith at #6 ahead of Romo at #7? Sanchez at #11? Andy Dalton not even in the top 15? Hasselbeck at 10?

Make up your minds, fellows - what's important to these ratings? Whether or not the team is winning? Whether the QB is an amazing passer? Overall quality of play? Popularity? Whether you've heard of him?

If winning is more important than completion and ratings, then Dalton should be in the top 15. If overall quality of QB play is important, than Tebow should not be #5 and Sanchez should not be #11.

I think they got the top 4 correct, and after that it essentially just represents the author's whimsy. That means I can place no credence in their evaluation of Fitz.

I think these rankings are pretty fair, though Mark Sanchez shouldn't be 11. I'd say he's more like #20

Seriously? OK, can you explain the fairness factor there? Because I can't find any consistency or rhyme or reason.

Sanchez is only one of the rankings that have me going "c'mon man!"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/12/07/quarterback.ratings/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Given that there's only 32 of these jobs in the world, does this give creedence to our guy?

I think this season is lost -again..- but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him. Certainly, we've had much worse ranked QB's this century. Draft a future QB? Sure! But IMHO, chasing Ryan out of town is necessary. I believe we can win with him at the helm and a better supporting cast.

All these rankings are highly suspect, but agree with your point. We have much greater positional needs right now to be chasing a QB when our is average at worst. Fix the O-line and Fitz will do better. Fix the D to take pressure off the passing game and Fitz will do better. Bring in a WR with sure hands and able to get separation on long routes and Fitz will do better. So many needs. Not defending Fitz, just pointing out where our priorities should be IMO.

I've accepted the fact that Fitz will never be awesome - he's not athletic enough or accurate enough to be "elite." But he's smart, ballsy, and if surrounded with decent talent, he can get the job done. Get him a serviceable defense and a legitimate 1(2) wideout and I think he's a playoff quarterback.

I knew Fitz was playing hurt the game after the Fletcher shot. We'll have to wait for next season anyway. My only real knock on him is that he won't audible sometimes.

I agree. Amazed that with his smarts, he doesn't audible more. Saw several plays in the Titans and Jets games that he should have audibled.

His deep accuracy is obviously an issue, but fixable. Happy to have him as our guy.

http://sportsillustr...html?xid=cnnbin

I think this season is lost -again..- but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him. Certainly, we've had much worse ranked QB's this century. Draft a future QB? Sure! But IMHO, chasing Ryan out of town isn't necessary. I believe we can win with him at the helm and a better supporting cast.

As much of a joke this list is (Tebow isn't even the best QB on his team, let alone #5 in the league), I agree with everything you said about Fitzpatrick. Anyone blaming the collapse on him simply isn't watching the games, in my opinion.

My take is you can succeed with a slightly inaccurate QB with bigger targets, or you get a really accurate QB then you can live with smaller targets. (the analogy being that the better the WR the bigger the target.. a. al Green or Bryants catch radius) FIx one or the other and you are going to win.... Fix both and you are the 2011 Packers.

With the right supporting cast I think Fitz can beat any team. If he has enough talent he'll get the ball in the hands of those guys while making a play here and there. He's more than a game manager, he's not elite and its stupid to even talk like that, but I like him as our QB for the foreseeable future.