Chan talking himself out of a job?

Paulfw

Lets give Mr. Gailey some breathing room. as mentioned he has been away from the fast paced NFL for awhile and he knows he has alot to learn and he was lucky to get an opportunity.

If you listen to him speak in his press conference on Fridays then Monday :( and then wednesday he speaks about the players. I think he has been speaking about himself in a way. He is learning the hard way. And that might be the best way if it does not kill him!

If he can keep the team he is building composed after this awful bad stretch and them continue playing football with heart and pride, he has my vote. if the players give up on him its over. not till then.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I say no, but only because it would be unwise to disrupt what is supposed to be an admittedly 3 year rebuilding project (according to Nix). The Bills need stability and another re-do would be devastating at this point. I dont think he gets fired, but if you look at his record, he probably deserves to be fired. If this was Bills circa 1990-2000, he would have already been fired mid-season

Assuming he loses out, and goes on an unimaginable 9 game losing streak he will be:

9 Wins 23 Losses-That is AWFUL!

Tony Sparano got fired for a record of:29-32

Todd Haley Got Fired for a record of: 19-27, bad, but that is after being even more devastated by injuries than Buffalo and he got the Chiefs to the top of The NFC West last season and into the playoffs

I don't think Gailey is much of a head coach (maybe a good QB coach or Offensive Coordinator). I belive he needs a very strong supporting cast of assistant coaches in order to succeed. Let's hope they get him some help this offseason, or a year from now we'll be chatting about what coaches are available.

I still think he is better than Jauron.

I say keep him. Every time we fire coaches we are starting from scratch and we never give anyone the time to rebuild and get out of startup mode. I think we are like slot machine players. We think if we keep pulling the lever we'll hit the jackpot eventually.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If you start 5-2 and finish 5-11, you should be axed.

But with this franchise, does it even matter?

You're right, it really doesn't matter. Why fire him? So you can replace him with another low-cost retread? Round and round we go.

Should he lose nine straight games, unfortunately yes, he has to go. Should he break the streak or win both games, he stays.

As bad a choice as it looks and probably is, you promote Wannstedt to Head Coach if he's fired.

yes he absolutely should be fired...back to back seasons with at least 7 game losing streaks and most likely 8 is awful and doesnt show any improvement which you would expect in a 3 year rebuilding project

i dont buy another re-do would be devastating, just look at San Fran...the problem isnt getting another head coach and starting over the problem is they havent hired the right head coach

I dont care what Schottenheimers playoff record is, he was the better choice and still is. He knows how to turn a team around and does it rather quickly

He should stay, but why is it that every year we are left wondering whether it is the coaching, the players, injuries or the front office that is responsible for another crummy season.

RW should have brought in a consultant like Ron Wolff or Parcells years ago to try to get things straightened out and on a better track.

Would make better sense to fire Overdorf and Litman. Because with those still pulling the strings behind the scene what good does firing Gailey accomplish?

Another B grade coach?

Going into week 8 people were saying he could be coach of the year. Now, they want him gone? His offensive game plans have become suspect. Especially the run game. Nobody I'm aware of

really know how much anyone at 1BD listens to gailey's player personnel input. A wild guess would be, he has little control. The current example at center is a head scratcher. If Hariston and Pears are already penciled in as 2012 starters, that will not be good.

What is worrisome is his now weekly show of confidence for Fitz. Granted every coach does it when his Quarterback is having problems. But, I think Gailey truly believes

that Fitz can get the job done. I don't even buy the theory Fitz is a good backup anymore. 0-7 signals huge problems for a starter or back up. His stats are in a huge decline. He now leads starting Quarterbacks in INT's. Thigpen is way worse. So for Gailey to even dream that his Quarterback roster is okay would be scary.

Gailey needs some coaching help. Obviously a DC. A new OC calling the plays wouldn't hurt either. Maybe 15 new NFL quality starters would help a little?

Unless 2012 is a repeat of this season Gailey has 2 more years. He needs to make some major changes though, because right now Trent Edwards has a better starting record than Fitz.

Coaching staff, yes. But people are talking about firing EVERYONE. Nix and Whaley included. At this point, after the way the last hiring went 23 months ago, WHO in their right mind would take this job knowing that they wont even have 2 years to rebuild. And then a new FO means new schemes and new players, and replacing the roster with "their guys". At least 2 more years of losing, just so everyone could feel better running the "last guys" out of town.

San Fran had at least drafted well over the years (Gore, Vernon Davis, Willis, Crabtree, etc), and signed players in FA. They didnt need to rebuild the entire franchise from the ground up starting this year. The Bills were a talentless pile of crap 2 years ago, and Nix/Whaley/Gailey have done well to improve that.

I'd say it would be better to keep Nix, Whaley, and Gailey in their positions (Edwards needs to go like yesterday), and then once they have their talent foundation built, Nix step down and Whaley take over (and maybe bring in new coaching to take it to the next level, if needed).

But to "fire everyone" 23 months in is franchise suicide for an organization that is barely breathing.

Sorry, but when people say ridiculous things like "Miami did it", "Atlanta did it", "49ers did it", it only shows how little that person knows about the state of other teams. None of them rebuilt in 1 year. Not even 2.

I would take your plan in a heartbeat. I really like the idea of Whaley stepping up in another year or two and bringing his young energy to this team, and also bringing in a young coach he knows (from Pittsburgh maybe?) who is primed and ready to become the next great NFL Head Coach!

Edited by sllib olaffub

Keep.

I really do think he's a good offensive playcaller, which is key in today's NFL.

The problem is the past two years he's been polishing a turd in Fitz and it's now time to give Gailey a talented QB to work with.

It really makes no sense for a rebuilding team like the Bills, playing under today's pass-friendly rules, and with a head coach like Gailey who has a supposed reputation for getting the most out of his QBs, to NOT have a young, talented QB on the roster to develop.

It's just pure stupidity. The second half of this season should've gone to developing a young QB. Instead we waste half the season on Fitz playing out the string. The Bills are so stupid.

It's hard to argue that a guy riding a 9-game losing streak should be brought back, unless you're just a fan of streaks in general.

When did he lose 9 games straight we have only lost 7 straight. If anyone needs to be fired its definately George edwards his unit has cost this team 3 games this season during the losing streak, Not to mention the hole he has put this team in to start amlost everygame this season.

Gailey is good for another season of evalution before I say fire him. However if he doesnt fire george edwards that would be enough for me to fire him because he doenst know what the hell hes doing then.