League will study Johnson's escape from Revis Island

buffalo1983

He's an UFA at the end of the year, so there is no need to cut him. And a player's worth is a subjective thing. He'll command big bucks on the market. Do the Bills pay it or let him leave and create another hole?

The chances of the Bills not resigning him are very very small. Why would you give Fitzpatrick big bucks and a long term deal and not resign his #1 guy Stevie Johnson? The answer is they wouldn't. They have a special QB/WR bond and connection and there's no way I see the Bill's FO messes with that.

After what they did to Revis, I actually think that Fitzpatrick and Johnson will do some major damage these last five games.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an UFA at the end of the year, so there is no need to cut him. And a player's worth is a subjective thing. He'll command big bucks on the market. Do the Bills pay it or let him leave and create another hole?

Hmmm. We disagree there. I suppose he could find one GM maybe that would overpay him, but I do not see a bidding war over Johnson.

Deciding Johnson's worth based on his performance against Revis is even sillier than it sounds.

Right now, he ranks in the top 15 in only one category: Receptions. He is 29th in yards, 40th in ypg, 18th in TDs, 73rd in rec >20 yards and 24th in 1st downs.

He should be re-signed--but the rest of the season will determine his market value. I don't think the other teams would write a blank check for him based on his performance so far this year. He can't be called "clutch" due to his dropsies and his "me first" immaturity hurts his value. Seems like he can't be coached (at least not by Chan).

Even TO had a few 1400 yd seasons under his belt before he became insufferable. Pretty much same for Ochocinco (is "Stevie Trece" next?).

If by special you mean "rides the short bus" special then I agree. He is an average receiver in my opinion. But what he did to Revis is undeniable, he had a great game.

There is no need to cut him, and equally no need to overpay him. Pay the man what he is worth, but not what he thinks he is worth.

Um, he's worth what the market thinks he's worth, not what the Bills on their own think he's worth. I suspect that he'll be gone.

And yet there are people on this board that want Stevie gone......Roll eyes at that crowd. Stevie is a special player that is still growing.

I agree. He reminds me a little bit too much of TO, however in that he has a nack for dropping the most important balls thrown his way (TD vs. Steelers, TD vs. Jets). If this guy can get his head in the game and focus on FOOTBALL, instead of all the sideshows, he's a top 10 WR no question. Stevie, focus on football during the game. It's only 60 minutes. Then go crazy with all your funny/goofy stuff after the game.

Great Read!! WR'S are jerks usually all the time but Stevie is a stand up guy off the field just has some questionable(yet really funny) calls on the field. Sign him LONG TERM NOW

Another good point. Like TO he's great off the field. 2 things: don't act like an moron during the game and catch balls when he's open. It's odd, great catches vs. Revis, drops wide open balls. It's almost like he has ADD and looses his concentration in lower stress situations. Reminds me of the Penguins goalie Fluerry.

The chances of the Bills not resigning him are very very small. Why would you give Fitzpatrick big bucks and a long term deal and not resign his #1 guy Stevie Johnson? The answer is they wouldn't. They have a special QB/WR bond and connection and there's no way I see the Bill's FO messes with that.

After what they did to Revis, I actually think that Fitzpatrick and Johnson will do some major damage these last five games.

Stop it! Your assuming that the Bills are rational. It would make perfect sense for this FO to let Stevie go after resigning Fitz. Then Fitz will stink. Then they can cut Fitz. Spend the next two drafts fixing the WR and QB position, while neglicting the defense. Don't put anything beyond this FO.

To be honest, if I were Stevie, and offered, say, relatively equal contracts by the Bills, Raiders, Chiefs, Buccaneers and Bengals, I'd sign with the Bengals or Raiders, depending on how those teams fare in the playoffs. There will be plenty of money in free agency this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph doesn't pay up. In addition, there's the fact that Buffalo has been one of the worst 2-3 teams in football over the past 10 years. It would suck, but don't be surprised to see Stevie leave in free agency to one of the above teams with their cap room.

Name 10 WR 25 or Younger Better Than him? (Especially when healthy and please dont throw out last year)

Reminder its only his 2nd year as a starter!.... and he's on pace to have a better year than last year (and that including more double teams and injuries)

i like stevie johnson....but, he is not a speed burner, is not a clutch performer, is not smart, is a selfish look at me look at me player, has questionable work ethic, does not block well on running plays. i can name over 20 WR's in their prime (28 years or less) and 10 players 29 years or older, who are as equally good or better.

i think stevie is a top 32 WR in this league....does he have upside ??....of course, just like 50 other WR's in this league. THE REASON THE BILLS ARE IN THE MESS THEY ARE IN, IS BECAUSE THEY INVEST TOO MUCH OF THEIR DRAFT PICKS AND MONEY IN FINESSE POSITIONS LIKE RB, WR & DB's.....YOU WANT A WINNER ??....INVEST IN THE SNOT KNOCKERS I.E. OL, DL & LB's.

Edited by papazoid

On one play, he did about four stutter steps/jukes right off the line for a catch.

It seemed as if SJ was running all routes hard, regardless of what the play was. You don't see that kind of nonstop intensity ever with receivers; they all take breathers. I'm glad my perception was verified in that story.

In addition to being mentally draining to be 100 percent even when you aren't directly apart of the action, it's physically demanding to run hard routes on every single snap, too.

i like stevie johnson....but, he is not a speed burner, is not a clutch performer, is not smart, is a selfish look at me look at me player, has questionable work ethic, does not block well on running plays. i can name over 20 WR's in their prime (28 years or less) and 10 players 29 years or older, who are as equally good or better.

i think stevie is a top 32 WR in this league....does he has upside ??....of course, just like 50 other WR's in this league. THE REASON THE BILLS ARE IN THE MESS THEY ARE IN, IS BECAUSE THEY INVEST TOO MUCH OF THEIR DRAFT PICKS AND MONEY IN FINESSE POSITIONS LIKE RB, WR & DB's.....YOU WANT A WINNER ??....INVEST IN THE SNOT KNOCKERS I.E. OL, DL & LB's.

I'd hate to hear about the players you don't like.

Hmmm. We disagree there. I suppose he could find one GM maybe that would overpay him, but I do not see a bidding war over Johnson.

In their first two years as full time starters Johnson has more TD catches and receptions than Andre Reed and there's still five games left in Johnson's second season.

He has a real shot at becoming a better WR than Reed if he can get a handle on getting rid of the dropsies in big moments.

I'd hate to hear about the players you don't like.

lol....see...."Torell Troup is Horrible"

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/134045-torell-troup-is-horrible/

just so i don't get a bad rap....i'll name some bills i love:

freddy, kyle williams, fitz, wood, dareus, levitre, barnett.

players i like: stevie, byrd, wilson, nelson, moorman , lindell

the rest of the team is mediocre or sucks.

He made every route look like a pass. It was difficult to tell when Johnson was running a pattern or run blocking. Unlike some other star receivers, who often jog run blocking routes, Johnson ran every route extremely hard and disguised it as a pass pattern. It was very noticeable that this was throwing Revis off.

Hard working, doesnt take plays off. Gets open. Makes (most) catches on Fitz's wild balls. Needs to catch the big/easy ones.

Number 1 receivers don't average 11.5 yards per catch

Are you expecting 20+ ypc?

"In four seasons with Arizona, Larry Fitzgerald has played in 60 of 64 possible regular-season games, making 330 receptions for 4,544 yards (13.8 YPC) and 34 touchdowns. He’s fumbled four times, losing three. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2005 and 2007."

source: http://www.sportspundit.com/football/players/2871-larry-fitzgerald

Pretty much. SJ is about as tough of a guy off the line as any receiver in the league. The obvious biggest need is a pass rusher. But I'd love to get another stud receiver in the draft. We could have one of the best receiving cores in the NFL.

I think we already have one in Kamar Aiken...the kid needs a chance and should get his shot soon enough.