SU - Bernie Fine investigation

bills44

Damn Bernie Fine to hell. Shame on him if, as it seems, the allegations are true. Shame on me for having questioned the accusers. What a f***ing mess. My last bit of hope is that Boeheim was not in any way involved. Damn, damn, damn

THAT is your last bit of hope?

Check out the video in that CNN article--it's an interview of Mark Schwartz of ESPN.

It's embarassing--he concedes that ESPN had this tape in 2003, but didn't feel it was their duty to go to the police with it. They didn't hire a voice recog expert back then. They just sat on the tape.

ESPN's corroboration that they desperately wanted for this story was for another victim to come forward--but why? Wasn't the tape corroboration of the Davis abuse incident? The truth is it wasn't a big enough story to run; it is now in the wake of the PSU scandal.

If these allegations against Fine hold water, then ESPN needs to be taken down. Unreal.

At risk of defending the wrong person here- I'd guess espn gets a lot of unsolicited whack job stories. If it were their job to thoroughly investigate each, it would probably be pretty burdensome. At the time there were many superficial redflags, which without other proof led them to let it go. I'm guessing they dug into it now in an effort to make sure they controlled the publicity around the news hitting the waves (ie not having someone nail them on holding it) if they found it to be legit. Once they dug in they probably wanted to continue to be proactive to limit damage moreso than to make a quick buck off it.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the video in that CNN article--it's an interview of Mark Schwartz of ESPN.

It's embarassing--he concedes that ESPN had this tape in 2003, but didn't feel it was their duty to go to the police with it. They didn't hire a voice recog expert back then. They just sat on the tape.

ESPN's corroboration that they desperately wanted for this story was for another victim to come forward--but why? Wasn't the tape corroboration of the Davis abuse incident? The truth is it wasn't a big enough story to run; it is now in the wake of the PSU scandal.

If these allegations against Fine hold water, then ESPN needs to be taken down. Unreal.

It wasn't just espn that had the tape - the Post Standard had it too. They also felt the tape was not corroboration because Laurie Fine never said she witnessed anything.

Mike Waters did a 30min interview on Francesca yesterday - you can find it on wfan's site.

My son just said that Mark Schwartz gave the 3rd accuser Bobby Davis' phone number...I haven't seen that reported anywhere yet...Nancy Cantor just reported that had the tape surfaced in 2005 fine would have been fired...had it surfaced 2 weeks ago...he would have been fired then...espn had schwartz report that...i hope he felt like a douche....

My son just said that Mark Schwartz gave the 3rd accuser Bobby Davis' phone number...I haven't seen that reported anywhere yet...Nancy Cantor just reported that had the tape surfaced in 2005 fine would have been fired...had it surfaced 2 weeks ago...he would have been fired then...espn had schwartz report that...i hope he felt like a douche....

I saw that tweeted today.

when the penn st. scandal broke all of a sudden there were people coming out of the woodwork(all kept nameless and faceless) to say sandusky abused them. We are going on 2+ weeks here and there is no report of any other victims...there was rumor of a 4th, but that seemed to die on the vine. and all three of these accusers have 'questionable' stories...I get the feeling that bernie fine is not going to be found guilty of any abuse. keep in mind I am a complete homer and this is more wishful thinking, but you'd think more accusers would emerge in the days since....

<SIDE NOTE>a couple stories about the search warrants that have been executed have given me some chuckles....comments to the stories where it's revealed that they seized hours of video tapes have been to the effect that now everyone is going to learn to crack the 2-3 zone...I know it's not a subject to make fun of, but those kinds of comments really struck me as funny.....

Accuser #3 seems to be proven to be 'not credible'

Shocked I tell you...SHOCKED!!!

Then the DA announces he believes the original accusers are credible....I am assuming he has some sort of evidence to back that statement up. It would seem very imprudent for a DA to make such comments when a federal investigation is still going on without evidence to support his claim of credibility....

Accuser #3 seems to be proven to be 'not credible'

Shocked I tell you...SHOCKED!!!

Then the DA announces he believes the original accusers are credible....I am assuming he has some sort of evidence to back that statement up. It would seem very imprudent for a DA to make such comments when a federal investigation is still going on without evidence to support his claim of credibility....

Damm school attendance records, he forgot to skip those days.

Also "victim #4" is not credible.