LAMP-"Hun, I just like a bad team"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were Fergie ander OJ in the streets when I was a kid. What keeps me going? The draft and to a much lesser extent free agency. So basically by the last quarter of the season through April I have hope for future until the actual picks are made and F/As signed, then its mostly downhill from there. Throw in bonus hope for new coach every 3 years. Though I am amazed at the job Chan has done with an offense of Ryan Fitzpatrick, and bunch of F/As at WR and on the line.

Everything sounded so cool till you said that part. lol

In my case it has been a "family" event. We used to go the Rockpile and then on to Rich Stadium as a family. Now that I live out of the area, my Dad, my brothers and I have weekly phone conversations and the Bills always come up. My 19 year old son is a Bills fan (even though he was born and raised in Toledo). It is funny how over the years he will ask questions like "Dad, why do the Bills always suck?".

I honestly don't know why I remain so loyal to them. If I can't go to a game I watch it on Direct TV and never miss a game. I have become more relaxed as they disappoint year after year. Years ago my Dad made a very simple comment that has stayed with me... "Son, there is more to life than the Buffalo Bills".

That's better than hearing this

"all you care about is money, sex, and your stupid bills"

Hobbies help. Oh, mind numbing amounts of alcohol can drown the sorrows. Really though, the reason we stay watching the Bills and pulling for them is because we are emotionally invested in this team for whatever reason. Obvious enough from it hurting when they lose and elating when they win. It is difficult to walk away from something you have invested so much empathy with. If we as individuals and fans as a group didn't invest ourselves in the team then the games would be exceptionally boring to watch. Watch some soccer from the Champion's League; do you feel much at all when Manchester scores a go ahead goal a minute into overage time? Maybe a little appreciation for super kicking skill or something but nowhere near the level of elation that accompanies Stevie pulling down the winning pass. If you is tired of Billsdom then fill your heart with steel wool and go to your local Bill's representative and shout, "No More! I am through getting hurt by you!" Then start liking a sport that only comes around every four years like curling.

But to get through the pain of a Bill's loss and keep on circling them there wagons I would suggest posting on your favorite Bills Board and then meeting friends and family for the next Bills game. :beer: That one, is the one they can still win. . .

This sums it up nicely for me, too. I am not asking for a dynasty. I would like one Super Bowl win, and then the team can implode the following season. Whatever.

I have been a Bills fan since we played football in the street, pretending to be Jack Kemp and Elbert Dubenion, about 45 years ago.

How to remain a fan when you know you are going to be kicked in the cajones shortly after the season begins each year?

Hopefully, you learn to invest less emotion in the team as time goes on. It used to be painful when the Bills lost one of those gut-wrenching losses. Now I just take it as something I can not control, so I try not to get too up or down about it.On the bright side, Bills fans did not have to start thinking about the next draft until late November this year, while normally early October brings Bills fans visions of draftable sugar plums dancing in our heads.

So, happy holidays!

This is exactly where I am as a fan, although I only have about 30 years invested. I still watch all the games and go through my Sunday ritual each and every weekend in the fall, but when the inevitable kick to the nuts comes I just can't care like I used to anymore. This franchise and it's 1000 ways to lose approach has simply made me numb, but I'll only stop caring completely when and if the Bills move out of Buffalo.

I don't feel that I've ever had a choice.

You're right and I'll never forgive my dad for making me a Bills fan! :devil:

This is exactly where I am as a fan, although I only have about 30 years invested. I still watch all the games and go through my Sunday ritual each and every weekend in the fall, but when the inevitable kick to the nuts comes I just can't care like I used to anymore. This franchise and it's 1000 ways to lose approach has simply made me numb, but I'll only stop caring completely when and if the Bills move out of Buffalo.

You're right and I'll never forgive my dad for making me a Bills fan! :devil:

at least you have someone to blame. i was a little 11 yr old chump dik punk 5,000 miles from buffalo that watched a kick ass monday night game and i was hooked. yeah, that fast. one game. dammmmmmmnnnnnnnn

ps we beat the jets that monday night game in 1990

This sums it up nicely for me, too. I am not asking for a dynasty. I would like one Super Bowl win, and then the team can implode the following season. Whatever.

I have been a Bills fan since we played football in the street, pretending to be Jack Kemp and Elbert Dubenion, about 45 years ago.

How to remain a fan when you know you are going to be kicked in the cajones shortly after the season begins each year?

Hopefully, you learn to invest less emotion in the team as time goes on. It used to be painful when the Bills lost one of those gut-wrenching losses. Now I just take it as something I can not control, so I try not to get too up or down about it.

On the bright side, Bills fans did not have to start thinking about the next draft until late November this year, while normally early October brings Bills fans visions of draftable sugar plums dancing in our heads.

So, happy holidays!

I was Paul Costa, scoring touchdowns in my back yard.

As an ex-pat (grew up in Rochester), I feel that it's a way to keep in touch with home. I became a much more dedicated/hardcore/etc. fan on the day I changed my permanent address from Rochester after college.

I am proud of the fanbase (well... sometimes) with which I share the ups and downs (well... mostly downs).

I ENJOY being a Bills fan. Part of this is not getting too invested emotionally, and balancing it with sources of pleasure in life other than the Bills.

Wow. Hope you had a good comeback for that one.

I would loop it around back to a lack luster marriage to her somehow. That would be a good zinger, but probably would start WWIII

at least you have someone to blame. i was a little 11 yr old chump dik punk 5,000 miles from buffalo that watched a kick ass monday night game and i was hooked. yeah, that fast. one game. dammmmmmmnnnnnnnn

ps we beat the jets that monday night game in 1990

Just like crack cocaine, it only takes one time.

As an ex-pat (grew up in Rochester), I feel that it's a way to keep in touch with home. I became a much more dedicated/hardcore/etc. fan on the day I changed my permanent address from Rochester after college.

I am proud of the fanbase (well... sometimes) with which I share the ups and downs (well... mostly downs).

I ENJOY being a Bills fan. Part of this is not getting too invested emotionally, and balancing it with sources of pleasure in life other than the Bills.

like what? what is better than watching your favorite team lose week in and week out.

I would loop it around back to a lack luster marriage to her somehow. That would be a good zinger, but probably would start WWIII

Just like crack cocaine, it only takes one time.

not that im interested. but thanks for the 411

I am so thankful right now that at least as a Chicago Bulls fan I have alittle something to look forward to as a sports fan this season because the Bills and even the Sabres are really bringing my spirits down this year. Not just because of this year but I think years and years and painful and frustrating sports disappoints has really started to catch up to me and take a toll on me this year. With that said the Bills and Sabres will always be teams. They always have been and always will be.

Like Beerball said, I never even considered an alternative to cheering for the Bills.

My parents are immigrants so there was no family history of cheering for the Bills but being a 6-year old in Buffalo and then living there for 35 years… there's really no choice involved.

I've managed to lessen the pain of defeat through various forms of self-trickery, at the same time the wins are just as glorious as ever.

I guess that means that I pretend to myself that the losses don't hurt so much.

One thing that HAS helped, and which wasn't around when I was a kid growing up, is fantasy football.

I try not to live vicariously through the Bills and it helps that I know that my fantasy teams are made of players, scouted, researched, and drafted by myself. There's no agonizing over having someone like Aaron Maybin foisted on my roster. I pick the players… not some idiot like Tom Modrak.

Just coming from the area and all the negative that people & the media pile on us i just continue to hope that one day we can make them all eat there words .

Plus the entire underdog thing . I think we need to make Underdog the official Bills mascot !!

HAVE NO FEAR UNDERDOG IS HERE !!!!!!

Besides what would Buffalo be with out the Bills , it was one thing to take the Braves away we can live with out B Ball (even though Mcadoo was a bad ass !!) B-Lo would be lost with out the Bills !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by T master

Just coming from the area and all the negative that people & the media pile on us i just continue to hope that one day we can make them all eat there words .

Plus the entire underdog thing . I think we need to make Underdog the official Bills mascot !!

HAVE NO FEAR UNDERDOG IS HERE !!!!!!

Besides what would Buffalo be with out the Bills , it was one thing to take the Braves away we can live with out B Ball (even though Mcadoo was a bad ass !!) B-Lo would be lost with out the Bills !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!

"Here I come to save the Day!"

What makes this worse is that I remember those 4 years in the glorious 90's

I think that makes it better, not worse. For our kids who became Bills fans after the early 90's, there have been no glory days. As far as they know, we have always been bad. They have no memories and former pride to hang their hats on like we do.

I've been a Bills fan all my life.

I've also been a Red Sox fan all my life - lived there and had season tix for Fenway from '84-'90 - attended the '86 World Series (Bill Buckner).

So I guess what I'm saying is, "Never give up hope" - it's what makes us true fans. And some day, we'll win that Superbowl..it's gonna happen.

If not this season, next season...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

14 and 6 baby!!!!! B-)

"I expect to win." - Chan Gailey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmEe7vHpKCg