Chan Gailey's Future

he gets two years. stop squabbling people. Obviously has made errors and has manned up. Seems to be a straight shooter and has winning honestly as his priority.

Like Fitz, his first year as The Man and we are discussing benching him? where is the patience and the faith people?

ps i am also pissed about the wheels falling off but i prefer to direct my anger towards officiating. Los Bastardos.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are pathetic- you have a descent to good quarterback who has lost his entire wide reciever group which was thin to start with. Now you don't have your running back and three of the starting five line man. Chan you stink ? really hard to respect any of the other opinions. Now should we discuss the defense because it's the same on that side of the ball. If we win tomorrow it WILL be because of Chan- however if we lose it WON'T be becuase of Chan. If he can devise a game plan good enough to beat an NFL team without NFL players he gets credit for it- but if he can't you can not blame him for it.

Ralph isn't going to fire Nix, and Nix isn't going to fire Chan. That's appropriate. Give Chan some time. The injuries this year were too much for anybody to be able to fix with coaching. The good news is that other than linebackers, the next draft is for depth, not for starters. That gives them freedom to go with BPA and see if the team can weather an injury storm next year.

Next year's draft will need to be for starters. Excluding linebackers, we need at least one starting cb, at least one starting defensive end, a left tackle, and possibly a new one and two wide receiver if Stevie leaves.

Suddenly my optimism just took a big hit. I think you are probably closer to being correct than I wanted to believe. We could debate some of the positions, such as left tackle. Right now there are is a pretty good one who is injury prone, and a rookie that may or may not turn out to be ok. In that case it may be drafting for depth. But I agree that defensive end and cornerback are probably bigger needs than I wanted to admit, especially if McGee is a lost cause. And I don't know what to think about receiver. If there is a beast available, then he should be taken. If it is just another late round flier, then what's the point, the whole receiver corps is late round fliers (or undrafted).

Ralph isn't going to fire Nix, and Nix isn't going to fire Chan. That's appropriate. Give Chan some time. The injuries this year were too much for anybody to be able to fix with coaching. The good news is that other than linebackers, the next draft is for depth, not for starters. That gives them freedom to go with BPA and see if the team can weather an injury storm next year.

Weren't injuries a serious issue in 2007, 2008, and 2009? This seems more and more unlikely to be bad luck but rather bad planning and inferior talent. As for going BPA, they can do that because every single position is a need at this point. Kinda reminds me of 2006 when that draft was heralded as having produced so many starters, yet only 1 remains 5 years later.

Next year's draft will need to be for starters. Excluding linebackers, we need at least one starting cb, at least one starting defensive end, a left tackle, and possibly a new one and two wide receiver if Stevie leaves.

Yeah, they need instant starters once again, but that's asking a lot out of rookies. Nix has shown he's not very savvy on draft day and his record from 2010 indicates to me he's not all he was cracked up to be. And best of all, Buddy will go out of his way to talk RW out of spending money on free agents. ;) So I guess the Bills are all in on Buddy being awesome on draft day, which looks to be a bad bet.

I think you need to find another hobby as it seems you have some extra free time on your hands.

You state this:

"Listen I know we have less talent than 30 other teams in the league..."

followed by this:

"... I have not seen Chan adjust his game-plan to fool other defenses"

Even though the Bills have less talent than 30 other teams, you still expect Chan to scheme his way out of it.

The Oline is in shambles, and we have no depth. The Dallas game speaks for itself. In the first 3 plays, the right side defensive pass rusher came in untouched twice.

Please show me a scheme that will overcome that, and with less talent than 30 other teams.

Then you complain about his "failure" to have elite teams at GT. Personally, I thought most people realized the college game and the pro game were 2 different animals.

My mistake.

Success/Failure in one does not automatically equate to success/failure in the other. If it did, Saban would still be coaching the Dolphins, and Weis would still be at ND.

Then you bring up the "stacked" Dallas teams he had, completely ignoring the reality those players were on the downside of the careers, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs the year before his arrival, and failed to make the playoffs after he left. During his tenure, they made the playoffs both times, and did so with an owner who is far more meddlesome than Wilson.

Jauron spent 4 offseason's destroying the Bills organization by building a team that was undersized, soft, and convinced it was hard to win in the NFL.

After this season, Chan gets 2 more years.

The O line is in shambles because this offensive minded HC decided to switch to a 3-4 and then drafted heavily for the defense the last two years, while basically ignoring the O line. So if the line is in shambles who's fault is that.... the HC & GM, that's who's fault it is!!. This team went into the season with no backup at center, they had one in Geoff Hangartner but cut him. They went into the season with one experienced LT who has always been injured and a rookie as his only backup, who's fault is that?

Both Nix and Gailey KNEW they needed upgrades on the line, its why they went after Tyson Clybo in the off season, these two old fools made their bed and are most certainly responsible for the lack of depth on that line.

Dick Jauron was most certainly an offensive moron and his Tampa 2 defense was always bad against the run! However, as bad as he was he had the pass defense in the top 5 his last two years with the team, and got the team to 7-9. As bad as Jauron's defense against the run was, Gaileys defense set a Buffalo Bills record last season for the worst ever in team history. they might just be setting new records for bad again this year. BTW 7-9 is something Gailey has yet to achieve, and right now its looking like this season might be a 5-11 disaster with an horrific downturn after starting 5-2.

The man already had 2 years and its not looking to good right now, bad drafts, bad free agency, bad teams

Really good post. It's something us arm chair GMs can talk about. I think, my opinion, Gailey and Nix are doing a good job. Novone thought the Bills would 5 games this year. We were in 1st place for Luck starting the year. So he has done good things so far. You have to keep both for at least another 2 years but I think they will do good. I was surprised looking at this years draft. A lot of those guys are helping the Bills this year already. Blame nix for Merrimen but the DEF has not been the same since he got hurt, again. I think they bring him back next year and he will be good. Maybe not as good as his "lights out" days but he will be a factor. I hate the F$tz signing, but he is a perfect bridge to the next guy they draft, which I think will be this next draft maybe the year after. I also think they are handling the Jackson situation well too. Many people say give the guy a huge contract but he will only last a couple of years. I would definitely give him a look in the off season. Pay him 3-5 mil a year for 3 years. I think the Bills will be good next year.

Not sure if Bell will be back. It will be interesting to see if the Bills make any effort to keep him.

Nix needs to step it up in the draft and free agency. Some of the picks in 2011 are getting playing time, but (other than Dareus and Sheppard) this is really a function of a lack of depth and the need to insert rookies as replacement starters.

What concerns me is turnover. The Bills need to draft better and sign some free agents each off season or we will continue to draft to replace players who are leaving either through free agency or otherwise rather than to upgrade what is already here. This offseason, the Bills could lose Bell, Stevie and Pears to free agency. Not sure if McKelvin will be back based on his play and I can see him being traded (similar to Evans and Lynch) for a low round draft pick. Maybe these players are not much of a loss, but I am not sure that I see replacements for them on the current roster. If Pears and Bell leave, then Hairston is the only remaining tackle, and I have no idea if he can develop into a quality starter. Kind of scary that I may actually care that Pears and Bell could leave.

Really good post. It's something us arm chair GMs can talk about. I think, my opinion, Gailey and Nix are doing a good job. Novone thought the Bills would 5 games this year. We were in 1st place for Luck starting the year. So he has done good things so far. You have to keep both for at least another 2 years but I think they will do good. I was surprised looking at this years draft. A lot of those guys are helping the Bills this year already. Blame nix for Merrimen but the DEF has not been the same since he got hurt, again. I think they bring him back next year and he will be good. Maybe not as good as his "lights out" days but he will be a factor. I hate the F$tz signing, but he is a perfect bridge to the next guy they draft, which I think will be this next draft maybe the year after. I also think they are handling the Jackson situation well too. Many people say give the guy a huge contract but he will only last a couple of years. I would definitely give him a look in the off season. Pay him 3-5 mil a year for 3 years. I think the Bills will be good next year.

Next year....my least favorite phrase.

I think in the beginning of the season, Gailey was a COTY candidate, but now OUR Bills are on a downward spiral. Listen I know we have less talent than 30 other teams in the league right now, but I have not seen Chan adjust his game-plan to fool other defenses, and the George Edwards hiring should automatically put him on a very tiny hot seat. I was never really a fan of his due to his failure to have elite teams at GT (Usually had a Top 25 recruiting class year in/out) and failure to go deep in the playoffs with a stacked Dallas team (Aikman, Smith, and Irvin (1 year)). I'm not saying fire him this year, but next year if he gets of to a slow start a la Dick Jauron should we fire. I mean he is 60, so he could retire soon. So what do you guys think.

It's not the coach as much as it is who he has to coach. The word depth should be stricken from the Bills vocabulary because they have none. Once the starters went down one after another, this team became impotent.

Chan will be around at least two years. But, he has to get rid of his "good ole boy bud, the Defensive coordinator" That is management....eliminate poor performers. Still need players on both sides of the ball. The offense falls appart on injuries...and lack of depth. The O line is thin, but not total devoid of talent. Fitz has not been run over this year....of course the season is young. Yes, they need a LT.....Pears has not played badly, he will be resigned. Not usre about Bell....really injury prone...two years, not much playing time. I would go in a different direction.

Half the people post and say that the Bills should dump below average players and go get somebody else.

Half the people post and say that the Bills can't keep trying to replace the old talent with new unknown talent.

I believe that keeping serviceable talent and adding new talent is the way to go. The new talent should be better, but at least it offers depth (you can't always guarantee that the new talent will be as good as anticipated).

I give him 1 more year also, another D-coordinator and another draft.

No major progress, then let him go.

Period.

Have Ralph go to Wade and BEG for him to return. Hell Ralph probably can't remember why he left, or if he was ever here!

Bring him in a D coordinator and give Chan another year or two, If Chan can't turn it around bring back Wade as HC.

Remember, the last time we saw 8-8 was under Wade. Wouldn't 8-8 look good now, AND every season since he's been gone?

I think Chan is one of the better coaches the Bills have had in quite a while , put that with the statement that both him & nix have said about the one thing this team doesn't have is depth I believe they know where they are going & each year they are here we will see a significant improvement .

But seeing as we live in an age of instant gratification plus the impatience of Bills fans if we don't make it to the play offs this year they will be calling for his head .

If you polk around on here for any amount of time there have already been posts on how fans already think Nix needs to be fired & how Gailey went from the top to the bottom with fans in 3 weeks .Go figure Bills fans are very ah - ah fickle to say the least !!!