Chan Gailey's Future

I think this is an idiotic post.

Dallas before Gailey was HC

6-10

Dallas when Gailey was HC

10-6

8-8

Dallas for the three seasons after Gailey was fired by Jerry Jones - in what he later called "one of [his] worst mistakes as Cowboys owner":

5-11

5-11

5-11

Dallas was "stacked" alright - with a broken down Smith and Irvin, and a fully concussed Aikman. Honestly - why does noone ever look this up before saying it?

Thanks, Bob. I"ve posted this same thing about a dozen times since Gailey was hired.

His two seasons in Dallas were the high water mark for that team during a six-year period.

Some people are either ignorant to that fact or simply want to ignore it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very simple to me - fire the D coordinator and find a capable replacement. If Chan doesn't/won't do that, he's cooked. If he does, and he hires the right guy (or promotes Wanny perhaps), his career is fixable. The reason Chan's playcalling has looked so inept the last 3 weeks is that the D has been abused early and often, forcing Chan to try to catch up. It's all about the defense folks. Injuries are not the issue.

The reason the Bills offense looked bad the three weeks prior to the Jets road game was the loss of BOTH OLT's

People complaining here about Nix and the lack of OL depth??? PLEASE NAME ME A TEAM THAT IS THREE-DEEP AT OLT. Anyone?

I thought the offense looked pretty good on the road against a tough Jets defense. I'm not surprised - Hairston is a solid OLT and Levitre finally got to play his proper position again.

If Stevie catches that ball in his chest at the 15 the Bills win 31-28 and noone is complaining about Gailey's offense, RIGHT? We need more than 31 at the Jets?

The defense struggles because they have one of the worst pass rushes ever. Losing Merriman and Williams ruined an already suspect unit. Having to play a 300# DT (Spencer Johnson - though in a 3-4, I suppose he's a DE) as an OLB is not surprisingly a real problem.

They have 16 sacks. Only KC has fewer. 10 of the Bills' were against a horrible Redskins offense. That means 6 sacks for the other 10 games. When Merriman was playing, they were getting some pressure at least - now they don't even get that.

If they add TWO OLB's next year, they will look like a completely different team.

They also sucked at OLB last year, and decided to fix other issues while seeing if Kelsay/Merriman/Moats/Batten could step up. I think it would be fair to say except for some improvement from experience by Kelsay (who also has been hurt) the experiment failed. Now they will almost certainly find new personnel for both OLB slots. If they can find the next Kerrigan when they draft next year the defense will be night and day better - even with the uninspiring Edwards as the DC.

Edited by BobChalmers