Buddy's "Building Through The Draft Idea"

HuSeYiN1978

Now that we've given Fitzpatrick a big contract, Buddy's "building through the draft idea" should come in to effect... I say what's done is done and we move on with Fitz and in next years draft focus mainly on defense (preferrably OLB,DE and CB)and maybe pick up a couple of best players that's left on the board type a guys no matter the position... (and hopefully pick up at least one, just one big name player in free agency)... The draft in the year after next i think we should spend our 1st two picks on OL... Maybe even give up our 2nd and 3rd round draft pick to move back into the 1st to pick up an OL that way we have 1st round talent with our 1st two picks in that position... I know you guys probably will say that we need a stud WR but i think in free agnecy we can find that position taken care of... In three years from now in the draft i think we should look into getting a high caliber QB and start grooming and preparing him for the team we have built for him... I'd like your opinions on this and in no way shape or form am i giving up on this season in front of us especially with the way the jets are playing... Anything can happen and maybe we can find a spark on defense and play better but realistically it probably won't happen... In closing i think Buddy made it clear that we are gonna build through the draft so looking for a new QB is out the question and we should look at having a stud defense and then getting a great offensive line put together...

I agree with you mostly. I believe that we will be (have to be) drafting heavily on the defensive side of the ball. I think getting a proven WR in FA to start opposite of Stevie to help take some coverage off, or atleast stretch the field has to be high on our list, since WR's usually take a couple years to develop. I would think they will continue to ignore the O-line in the high rounds and, perhaps, draft more project/depth players. Regardless of what D we will run next year, we will have to take a pass rusher at some point in the first 3 rounds. I say first 3 rounds because if there is a better rated D player at our pick (i.e. CB, DT, DE), we would have to take the B.R.P. at this point in our rebuilding. I'm not opposed to taking a stud LT with our first pick, if he is available, but if it's a choice between an elite LT and an elite pass rusher, it's a no-brainer...

Hmmm... lots of things come into play to see where we go with next year's draft. How long does Nix feel he has? If he has no pressure to produce a team that will make the playoffs, then he can draft BPA or whoever he wishes - we've seen drafts here in recent years - although, not so much Buddy - that have left us and everyone scratching our heads. So, if he feels pressure to make the playoffs, then he's going to try to fix the most glaring weaknesses we have, as a priority over BPA. (If I were GM, I'd go after one of the top QB's first, then trade up, if need be, to get an excellent OLB)

Going the patch holes route, he will look at OLB first, with CB/WR/TE/LB filled in the next few picks, depending on best value. I don't know - Nix seems to believe, and has shown some real validity in believing, that he can pick up starters for the O-line in the mid rounds and in free agency. So any extra guys on the O-line I see coming then. OLB and D-line he seems to think need to come early - and I think he's said so. We know they liked Von Miller, and we've seen the Carrington, Dareus, Troupe picks. So, to fill that front seven out I think they've got to pick up another couple LB's. The secondary needs a fresh, fast, CB. That added to what we've got and I think it is a Defense that will mature and get good.

As for offense, the running backs are set - the O-line is as I said, so I think they grab a WR, too. Like Easley.

Why is everybody harping on the offense? It is fine for now. We need the entire next draft spent on the defense. We need DE's LB's and CB's because these guys cant get off the field to let our offense have a chance to get started. The problem with this team is the defense. Fix that first and then you will see improvement in the offense because they will have more snaps to get things going.

We need a guy like James Harrison, Von Miller, Orakpo, Mathews. Problem is we need to guess right and hope they stay healthy. I love Woods but the guy has missed 16 games in his first 48 games. I will take a healthy B player than an injury prone A grade.

James Harrison went undrafted then spent the next half decade bouncing from team to team, getting cut and ultimately shipped to NFL Europe.

Von Miller was the second over all pick.

Clay Mathews was the 26th overall pick, and the third linebacker selected (after Curry and Cushing).

Your conclusion that we need to "guess right" couldn't possibly be more apt.

James Harrison went undrafted then spent the next half decade bouncing from team to team, getting cut and ultimately shipped to NFL Europe.

Clay Mathews was the 26th overall pick, and the third linebacker selected (after Curry and Cushing).

So you're saying we should be looking in NFL Europe?

As for offense, the running backs are set - the O-line is as I said, so I think they grab a WR, too. Like Easley.

How about one who can actually suit up and play in a few games?

Why is everybody harping on the offense? It is fine for now. We need the entire next draft spent on the defense. We need DE's LB's and CB's because these guys cant get off the field to let our offense have a chance to get started. The problem with this team is the defense. Fix that first and then you will see improvement in the offense because they will have more snaps to get things going.

Buddy has taken 11 defensive players in his 2 drafts--7 in this year's. How many are starters? Think he'll strike gold next draft?

Need to draft a QB....let him groom behind fitz for a year or two...Fitz is not good enough he is a stop gap

I gotta disagree. With a good enough team around him Fitz can win in this league. The priority needs to be making the rest of the team better.

For the last 2.5 games our offense has been horrible. You'll see a better defense from us if the offense gets rolling again......

I gotta disagree. With a good enough team around him Fitz can win in this league. The priority needs to be making the rest of the team better.

Yup... That was the point i was making... I think if we "build through the draft" we gotta get this team to have a stud defense and a solid O-line... Then 3 years from now we can draft a QB and groom him and have him ready to come in and play with a solid "team"

It is hard to tell who will make a good pass rusher. A lot of players that are expected to be good pass rushers in the nfl just don't make it. You can say that about all positions, but pass rushers seems to be an extra tough thing in the draft. It is a lot easier to grab a pass rusher in FA.

WIth that said, they should draft more than one pass rushing prospect in the top 5 of the draft.

Yes, Buddy needs to make some better choices in the draft. The team has improved, but it seems to have little to do with Buddy's drafting acumen. Jackson, Fitz and Stevie are all holdovers from the prior administration. Troup and Carrington really need to step it up. In the last two years, Dareus is the only draft pick that seems to be making a difference, and he was something of a no brainer in terms of where the Bills were picking. I do think the Bills made some good moves in the last two years picking up Urbick, Rhinehart and Chandler. Not sure who was responsible for these moves, but if it is Buddy, he deserves some credit. Overall, any improvement in this year's play seems more directly related to the coaching staff and, in particular, Chan's offense.

I'm really not sure why so many people keep harping about getting a "stud" WR. There are so many good WRs after the first round, it's a waste to draft one then. Yes, you can get elite WRs like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, etc. in the first round, but how much worse off are you with Greg Jennings (2nd), Hines Ward (3rd), (CAR) Steve Smith (3rd), Brandon Marshall (4th), Donald Driver (7th), Marques Colston (7th), etc.?

I say go big men early and often on both lines. Can you imagine a D-line consisting of Marcell Darius, (a healthy) Kyle Williams, and then another 1st rounder? It would hardly matter who your LBs were because the OL would be so occupied with the three down linemen that not one of them would be able to get past the first level into the LBs.

As mentioned before, it's really tough to guess who a good pass rusher would be, especially out of the 3-4. Draft them often (and not necessarily in the 1st round), and one of them will surely come out of it. Once you have that dominant front 7, the secondary will hardly matter. However, first we need someone who can actually develop players. We've been drafting defensive players like crazy the past few years, but none of them seem to develop too much. We REALLY need a good defensive coach who can provide that.

Yes, Buddy needs to make some better choices in the draft. The team has improved, but it seems to have little to do with Buddy's drafting acumen. Jackson, Fitz and Stevie are all holdovers from the prior administration. Troup and Carrington really need to step it up. In the last two years, Dareus is the only draft pick that seems to be making a difference, and he was something of a no brainer in terms of where the Bills were picking. I do think the Bills made some good moves in the last two years picking up Urbick, Rhinehart and Chandler. Not sure who was responsible for these moves, but if it is Buddy, he deserves some credit. Overall, any improvement in this year's play seems more directly related to the coaching staff and, in particular, Chan's offense.

I mostly agree but I think this year's draft was fairly good - not just Dareus, but Williams, Hairston, Sheppard were good picks. If next year is at least as good, we will be on our way. Some key FA sugnings would help though.

The problem with Buddy's "Build through the draft" plan is he must have a high percentage of hits. The 2010 draft is a disaster. Not one impact player when there were plenty there. Even if Spiller turns out to be a good football player, the rest of the draft will be completely underwhelming and will set the Bills back another year. And that's if Spiller ever sees the field! Buddy's bark has proven to be bigger than his bite.

Spiller- So good that he has 31 touches this year.

Troupe- Bust.

Carrington- Nice rotational player who will never be an impact defender.

Easley- Chronically injured. We've seen how this works out but keep telling yourself that he will be good.

Wang- BUST

Moats- Good rotational player who provides some pass rush. Liability against the run. Will never be a full time starter.

Danny Batten- Not Moats but he did beat out Maybin and Coleman soooooo....

Levi Brown- ....

Kyle Calloway- ....

PTR would have trouble defending that draft but hey, I'm no scout! :thumbsup:

Edited by John Cocktosten