DO NOT PAY STEVE JOHNSON!

26TrapDraw

Exactly right!

It cracks me up when I read all these trolls ripping on the OP for making a valid point...I'm not saying The Bills should not retain Stevie because he is a good Player and the last thing The Bills need is to lose talent...But anyone who thinks Stevie Johnson is a legit NFL #1 WR is delusional...And thus he should not be paid like one...And I'll go out on a limb and say no other NFL Team is going to pay him like a legit #1 WR either...Not a single one...

The Bills still need a legit #1, and Stevie would be one of the best #2 WR's in the League...That's the way this Offense needs to be built...The Bills still need a #1 WR either through Free Agency, Trade, or the Draft... B-)

Exactly right IMO. Every effort should be made to retain Steve Johnson. He deserves a lucrative contract. You would be paying for one of the very best #2 wideouts in the game. Given that the Bills are a team needing talent, and you are trying to build something here, you maybe even pay him something more than the going rate. But he is clearly not a premier, #1 receiver.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he won't get anything ridiculous but we need to keep him. Who cares how much money he gets. Stop being so concerned about money. Keep the players that are good. Draft good ones instead of ones that don't develop. Keep them too. Repeat. It's the only way.

Hear me out. Stevie Johnson wants to be extended and be paid like a number 1 receiver right? Well i think the prerequisite for making number 1 money is playing like that. I remember hearing Fitz say that he thought Stevie Johnson was one of the best receivers that he has ever seen getting off the line when the defense press covers. Yet in the last 2 games he has been jammed at the line almost all game. I got news for everyone on here and all the people that think we have arrived. Think again. Charlie casserly just did a piece on this. The bills are a timing based offense. We throw quick hitch routes and timing slants. That is how our offense operates. Take that away and this offense is sunk. We do not have the physical receivers to fight through being jammed at the line anywhere on this roster. Stevie Johnson wants 9 or 10 million dollars a year?!?! WTF!?!? The persona that this latest edition of Buffalo Bills is developing is that of a creampuff which is soft and susceptible to a physical team. I am through with the speed guys and the " high motor" guys. Until we get big tough strong physical receivers and overall players for that matter. This is what we will see from here on ot getting overmatched physically on offense and defense. Stevie wants number 1 money he should be a number 1 receiver period. In a contract year he is disappearing and playing mediocre football. Flame away

What would Siri say??

This is yet another thread to prove that Ralph is not nearly as cheap as the fans that follow this team.

Does it really friggin matter how much they pay Stevie? Is it your money? The Bills are well under the cap. They have the money to spend. The team is better with Stevie than without him.

I don't care how much they pay him; just pay him and keep one of the few decent players on the team... on the team.

He is going to get #1 money somewhere.

I like Stevie as much as most, but I completely disagree with that statement...Who exactly is going to give Stevie #1 WR cash?...Future UFA WR's like Welker, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Lloyd, and Dwayne Bowe may all be ahead of Stevie in most NFL GM's minds come this off-season...Heck after that Group there is Pierre Garcon, Mario Manningham, Braylon Edwards, and Jordy Nelson...

Now...Before anyone gets their panties all up in a wad, I'm not saying all those WR are as good as Stevie...What I am saying is with all these WR's potentially out there, and a REAL decent group coming out of College in April, what Teams GM in his right mind is going to pay Stevie Johnson #1 WR cash?...It's not going to happen...And it shouldn't in Buffalo either... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

32 whole yards minus 1 catch. Its tough to feel confident in an argument based on one play. I even like Stevie and think you grasping to this as iron clad proof is a bit much.

Don't think I ever said that my statement was "iron clad." The OP stated Stevie wasn't playing like a #1, I countered back with a fact. The fact is that Stevie played better against Darelle Revis, better than ANY other #1 receiver that Revis has seen in 3 years. Does it matter that one play was for 52? Not in the least. He made a great move off the line and he made the effort to get open. It wasn't some fluke play. So unfortunetley in the REAL world we have to include those 52 yards in his stats. Plus the 32 yards on 2 catches equates to 16 yards a catch. Not bad against one of the best corners to ever possibly play the game. Is it Stevie's fault he wasn't targeted more? no. Even #1's have down games. Ex. 1 Vincent Jackson 1 catch 20 yards Thursday. Not to mention, Stevie doesn't have any one opposite him that can take the heat off. Does this all mean that Stevie is a #1? Possibly and thats the argument i'm giving the OP.

<br />Don't think I ever said that my statement was "iron clad." The OP stated Stevie wasn't playing like a #1, I countered back with a fact. The fact is that Stevie played better against Darelle Revis, better than ANY other #1 receiver that Revis has seen in 3 years. Does it matter that one play was for 52? Not in the least. He made a great move off the line and he made the effort to get open. It wasn't some fluke play. So unfortunetley in the REAL world we have to include those 52 yards in his stats.  Plus the 32 yards on 2 catches equates to 16 yards a catch. Not bad against one of the best corners to ever possibly play the game. Is it Stevie's fault he wasn't targeted more? no. Even #1's have down games. Ex. 1 Vincent Jackson 1 catch 20 yards Thursday.  Not to mention, Stevie doesn't have any one opposite him that can take the heat off. Does this all mean that Stevie is a #1? Possibly and thats the argument i'm giving the OP.<br />
. He's a number 1 because he caught 2 passes vs revis? He's a number 1 because we don't have anyone better. He's a pretty good WR. He might be worth 10 mill a year to this team or possibly another team that doesn't have any better WR options, but I don't think he's a good number 1. He's a good #2. Not worth 10 mill in my book. Hopefully he'll take 7-9 per to stay in buffalo. I like the guy a lot, but he's not a true difference maker.

. He's a number 1 because he caught 2 passes vs revis? He's a number 1 because we don't have anyone better. He's a pretty good WR. He might be worth 10 mill a year to this team or possibly another team that doesn't have any better WR options, but I don't think he's a good number 1. He's a good #2. Not worth 10 mill in my book. Hopefully he'll take 7-9 per to stay in buffalo. I like the guy a lot, but he's not a true difference maker.

I totally agree. He had a good year (and caught the league by surprise) as a #2 last season, that doesn't automatically mean he is going to be a good #1.

Exactly right IMO. Every effort should be made to retain Steve Johnson. He deserves a lucrative contract. You would be paying for one of the very best #2 wideouts in the game. Given that the Bills are a team needing talent, and you are trying to build something here, you maybe even pay him something more than the going rate. But he is clearly not a premier, #1 receiver.

:thumbsup:

100% agree... B-)

84 yards against Revis. Most by any receiver in 3 years against Revis. Better than A. Johnson, L. Fitzgerald, B. Marshall, W. Welke, R. Moss.. He flat out beat the #1 CB in the league on a 52 yard strike. But yea he sucks, doesn't play like other #1's..... Oh wait.

Good point and a point I noticed that all but one commentator neglected to mention. I think it was Dan the man patrick that gave about 5 minutes of it on his radio show last week. No one has put that many yards on Revis this year or in the past few years. Steivie was thrown to 5 times and caught 4 passes against Revis.. Not bad, certainly we should CUT SJ now.. Sarc/

Tim-

Not bad, certainly we should CUT SJ now.. Sarc/

Sarc/ or not I don't think anyone has come remotely close to saying we should CUT Stevie Johnson... This entire thread is about whether or not Stevie is a #1 WR who deserves #1 WR cash...It's a common misunderstanding that this Board was built on the power of over-exaggeration...But I appreciate your effort to pitch in... ;)

I'm sure he won't get anything ridiculous but we need to keep him. Who cares how much money he gets. Stop being so concerned about money. Keep the players that are good. Draft good ones instead of ones that don't develop. Keep them too. Repeat. It's the only way.

I don't know. Look at Fitz's contract. I would not rule out ridiculous for Johnson at this point.

Stevie Johnson SHOULD BE payed like a number one receiver. He's a solid number one. Who else did you have in mind to be our number one receiver? And please spare me the talk of thinking that we are going to pay another number 1 receiver from another team to come in. And there's not a player on our current roster who can step into a number one roll unfortunately.

It never ceases to amaze me some of the knee jerk reactions that get posted on this board after a win or a loss. Example you say?

sure... we're 4-1 with the worst defense in the league, and people are talking playoffs...

or

We lose a few games and now nobody can find another win on the schedule....

Go ahead and look, these are out there for you to find right now... Maybe a little perspective on the season, sprinkled with just a smidge of restraint before you post would do this board wonders.

yep, lets cut the guy, trade CJ, and punch leodis mckelvin in the face..... good god people. This team is still developing, and the future looks much better than it did a year ago, but they are not a playoff team just yet, so can we please try to enjoy the ride this year? there will be ups and downs the rest of the way, so a grip is something that should be pursued here.

Better to have zero #1 receivers and a quality #2 than zero of both. Sign Stevie.

If I took the time to bother, I would say that off the top of my head SJ is the number one receiver on most teams in the NFL. I can only think of a handful where he wouldn't be number one, and those dudes are making sick cash.. SJ is worth a handsome contract but one where the benefits are tied to performance.

Not to mention, even those teams that have outstanding number 1 receivers would gladly take SJ off our hands and pay him what we would pay him for our number one, what they would for their number two.. So? Offer him 6 million a year for 7 years, with 15 million Gauranteed.. Only an idiot wouldn't take that kind of money!

Tim-

Stevie Johnson SHOULD BE payed like a number one receiver. He's a solid number one. Who else did you have in mind to be our number one receiver? And please spare me the talk of thinking that we are going to pay another number 1 receiver from another team to come in. And there's not a player on our current roster who can step into a number one roll unfortunately.

It depends on your definition of a solid #1 WR...If Fitzgerald, Calvin and Andre Johnson are outstanding #1 WR's then, to me at least, a Player like Dewayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Anquan Boldin would be a solid #1 WR...Stevie Johnson is currently 17th among NFL WR's in yards and his 12.1 average per catch is low for a #1 WR (TE's Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Fred Davis all have better yards-per-catch averages than Stevie)...Stevie's numbers would be great for a #2...He's not a solid #1 though IMHO...As a #1 he's slightly below average...

Why can't the Bills get a decent #1 WR through Free Agency or the Draft?...A guy like Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Gordy Nelson would be 1A to Stevie's 1B if you want to say Stevie is still a #1...This Draft is deep at WR if all the Underclassmen come out as well...I see no reason why The Bills can't pay Stevie like an exceptional #2, or a lower paid #1, then go out and get another solid UFA WR to put on the other side...In fact I think they HAVE to do it in order for this Offense to take the next step...They can't just throw somebody out there next year...They have to get a legit threat on the other side of Stevie...Because Stevie is just not good enough to be a stand-alone #1...He's good, but not THAT good... B-)

Stevie is the perfect guy for the franchise tag. If some team is willing to pay him 10 million a year, you have to let him go. If he gets a reasonable offer, match it and keep him.

I really hope to see him stick around, but overpaying for marginal talent isnt something a margainally talented team does to get better.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood