Charley Casserly, CBS Sports on the Bills

Hsp08

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stop the talk of the Bills offense. STOP IT! That defense is not talented, not well coordinated and can't stop anyone. We can win with the offense as we have enough playmakers. But that defense....my god!!!

I agree the defense is still very bad. The way the cowboys walked down the field at will the entire first half and scored 7 every time they got the ball, as well as the fact that Romo had more TD passes in the first half than incompletions says that in spades.

But how in the world can you think the offense is anything close to acceptable? They have 1 play maker, Fred Jackson, and he won't be around for too many more years. And one is no where near "enough". The Bills have one game, the short pass game along with Jackson running. Period. Disrupt that, as the Jets and Cowboys showed, and the offense is done.

Yes the defense is not talented, but neither is the offense. A few more good drafts, at the very least, are needed.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Great comment. Maybe now people will start realizing that the Bills really need upgrades at the OT and WR positions. The happy talk about how good the o-line is should disappear now.

The tackle play was at least above adequate with Bell and/or Hairston in there. Agreed on the Wr's though. And a very large need for better Lb's

The homers will just blame it on all the injuries... never mind the fact that Bell is always injured. The sad fact is that the line has never allowed Fitz the protection like Tom Brady has.

I still think this team will go another draft without obtaining a top tackle as they still need a pass rusher, and that will likely cause the demise of this regime.

It's not so much placing blame or making excuses as it is a fact. We have been on our 3rd LOT for several weeks, that 3rd LOT... our starting LG. So, we're on the 3rd string LOT, 2nd string LG, and now who knows what at C. There are few, if any, lines in the league that have the depth to handle that and still be good. That's just fact.

Now, do we need more O line players for depth. Absolutely. But, the line started the season pretty good. So, I'd still say its by no means our top priority.

Yes, pass rusher is easily our biggest need. And has been for years. I'll add Defensive Coordinator to the mix. Despite all the "focus" on the defensive side of the ball; they're really no better than they've been. And, yeah they've had some injuries as well - Kyle, most notably. But, the defensive problems run far deeper than losing just one player. They haven't looked good all year.

I also would throw in that Donald Jones is easily the worst WR on the team. We need a big, physical WR that can handle the jams and adjust to the bad throws that Fitz tends to make down field. IMO, its much easier to get a new WR than it is a new QB. So, the FO just needs to realize Fitz is inaccurate downfield and bring in a good WR that can adjust to the ball and out jump DBs.

This basically sums it up:

Thoughts on Sunday's games:

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16112140/week-10-thoughts-magic-is-over-for-bills

This is obvious, but one think that it doesn't factor in is Fred Jackson. Yes, the Bills passing game can be stopped for the above reasons but Jackson has averaged 4.7 ypc over the course of the season and 6.3 ypc over the last two weeks. He will be featured more but when it's 21-0 before all the fans can find their seats the running game is pretty much out the window.

Great comment. Maybe now people will start realizing that the Bills really need upgrades at the OT and WR positions. The happy talk about how good the o-line is should disappear now.

We dont need upgrades at the OT positions....Pears played just fine on Sunday and Bell/Hairston are INJURED....

Injuries happen....no amount of "upgrading" is going to change that.

Still not understanding why Chandler is not a much bigger part of this offense if they are jaming WR's at the line....we have a 270 pound pass catching TE who is jamming him?

Of course he's right with regard to the last two games. But everybody said the same thing about the Pats after they lost 2 straight; and they destroyed the Jets last night.

Every team in the league (beside the packers) has played really badly at least twice.

This Bills team is not as bad as they looked the last two games.

Your 1/2 correct. The offense might not be that bad. But what you saw the last two weeks IS the Bills defense, which is quite offensive to the eyes. No blitzes, no sacks, terrible corner play (which isn't unexpected when the QB has a ton of time to throw the ball).

I agree the defense is still very bad. The way the cowboys walked down the field at will the entire first half and scored 7 every time they got the ball, as well as the fact that Romo had more TD passes in the first half than incompletions says that in spades.

But how in the world can you think the offense is anything close to acceptable? They have 1 play maker, Fred Jackson, and he won't be around for too many more years. And one is no where near "enough". The Bills have one game, the short pass game along with Jackson running. Period. Disrupt that, as the Jets and Cowboys showed, and the offense is done.

Yes the defense is not talented, but neither is the offense. A few more good drafts, at the very least, are needed.

You mean Donald (I can't catch a football) Jones is not a good WR? haah. You make some good points. I think Wood, Levitre, and Fitz are legit (along w/ Jackson). David Nelson is a great red zone threat, and good WR, Steve Johnson needs to make up his mind if he's a star or not, the other WR's would be #4's on other teams.

Your 1/2 correct. The offense might not be that bad. But what you saw the last two weeks IS the Bills defense, which is quite offensive to the eyes. No blitzes, no sacks, terrible corner play (which isn't unexpected when the QB has a ton of time to throw the ball).

I agree the defense has been soooo atrocious the offense in just in a situation they cannot win. They are essentially forced to score every position to keep pace and that is the problem. Yes, the offense has been bad a couple games but if that game is 17-7 yesterday in the 3rd quarter the Bills philosophy completely changes, they go for FGs in certain situations and put up likely 23-24 points in that game. When you are down 3-4 TDs in the 2nd quarter you are screwed as an offense.

The defense seriosly should just rush 1-2 guys and drop 9-10 into coverage as you would generate the same amount of pressure that they did yesterday. I do not think Romo even got a finger (literally) placed on him

And found something he's good at, because that analysis was spot on.

Well, he did pick Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. :pirate:

I'm still waiting for the first.

There you go. Oh well, at least we had September. That was the most fun I've had watching the Bills in a long time.

:lol:

You mean Elvis "toast" Pattereson :lol:

Nice Elvis Patterson reset. I think "toast" was coined-up by Lester Hayes because Patterson was always "burnt."

I can sum up Casserly's paragraph.

Run. The. Damn. Ball.

You have FJ, Spiller, McIntyre, and Smith. Use them. That's how you beat the "Ryan" defense.

The solution to the last two weeks is right in front of Gailey's eyes.

Then considering Fred Jackson was getting 8.7 YPC, 114 yards on only 13 carries and Gailey kept calling passing plays...

Then considering Fred Jackson was getting 8.7 YPC, 114 yards on only 13 carries and Gailey kept calling passing plays...

I have not been impressed with Gailey, but what choice did he have but to throw the ball when they were down 21-0 before he got his headset working?

If that is true, than I would not want Casserly either. The Spiller pick is worse than the Maybin pick or the Leodis pick.

The Spiller pick was bad not because of Spllier's talent level, but it was bad because RB was not even close to a need for the Bills. The picks of Maybin and McKelvin were picks in need positions. The poblem there is the picker could not find talented players.

The question is:

1. Do you want someone who can judge talent, but doesn't know what area to draft or ...

2. Someone who can't judge talent?

For me, I'll take someone who can judge talent.

Just my opinion

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16112140/week-10-thoughts-magic-is-over-for-bills

very legit analysis, but I think that with the injuries we have Gailey will react by using the tight ends and two tight end sets regularly to provide blocking as well as to open up the middle more. More screens and turn Jackson loose on a regular basis. It isn't the end of the world, you just make the adjustments you have to make.

When the defense gives up drives like they do, the offense is handicapped by it's predictability. Fitz starts the 1st half down 7 and the second half down 30. I'm telling you. A good defense would fix that offense.

You are very dilusional.

You wow me with your insightful analysis.

Here is the link:

All true. why it's imperative we get the running game going up the middle.

He got those yards because the Cowboys were expecting passes. Run more and the number goes down.

PTR

Yea, in that situation a smart coach runs more, moves the chains, makes first down after first down until the defense changes outta the prevent...then you throw!

Running the ball keeps it outta your QB's hands, who is getting rushed every play as the defense is neglecting the run. It also keeps the opposing QB on the sidelines

NFN, but i would expect that type of play calling from Turk Schonert or AVP, and not megamind. Gailey screwed his own team!