Wilson named one of cheapest owners in NFL history

truth on hold

This seems the opposite to me:

"Ralph Wilson doesn't have a problem spending money on high priced free agents. He also doesn't mind playing(sic) his current players to keep them in Buffalo. The biggest criticism on Wilson is his apparent inability to spend money on a decent and veteran coach."

Maybe this was true in the Jauron-era, but it's my understanding he was willing to pay Cowher or Shanahan as much as they'd get anywhere else. Neither wanted to go to Buffalo (Cowher not surprising, Shanahan thankfully.) Over the years Bills have had some higher profile coaches like Saban, Knox, Levy and Phillips, and gave touted up and comers like Williams and Mularkey a chance.

At the same time, Bills are well under the cap and have a history of letting higher profile FA's leave over money ... Peters, Winfield, WIlliams, Clements, Price, Jennings, Fletcher, Washington, Whitner, Poz, etc

Article

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ralph Wilson doesn't have a problem spending money on high priced free agents. He also doesn't mind playing(sic) his current players to keep them in Buffalo. The biggest criticism on Wilson is his apparent inability to spend money on a decent and veteran coach."

Maybe this was true in the Jauron-era, but it's my understanding he was willing to pay Cowher or Shanahan as much as they'd get anywhere else. Neither wanted to go to Buffalo (Cowher not surprising, Shanahan thankfully.) Over the years Bills have had some higher profile coaches like Saban, Knox, Levy and Phillips, and gave touted up and comers like Williams and Mularkey a chance.

At the same time, Bills are well under the cap and have a history of letting higher profile FA's leave over money ... Peters, Winfield, WIlliams, Clements, Price, Jennings, Fletcher, Washington, Whitner, Poz, etc

Article

You can't really consider the Bleacher Report to be real journalism. Any opinions on that site are just that- opinions- without the experience or sources of real journalists. I wouldn't take any of those statements at face value, and most writers on the site have no idea what they're talking about, as evidenced by the above statement. As you said, the exact opposite is true.

You can't really consider the Bleacher Report to be real journalism. Any opinions on that site are just that- opinions- without the experience or sources of real journalists. I wouldn't take any of those statements at face value, and most writers on the site have no idea what they're talking about, as evidenced by the above statement. As you said, the exact opposite is true.

what he said....

Big name coaches don't want to coach in Buffalo, except for a major premium. And Ralph gave Jauron a huge extension, so he'll pay the money.

Now THAT'S funny!

Actually, as you pointed out at the time, Ralph resigned (laughably prematurely, as most of us noted back then) Jauron in order to save money.

He, like you, was under the impression that there would be a "bidding war" for DJ's services (after a 5-1 start of another miserable HC season for DJ) at the end of the season. Ralphus thought he was bargain hunting.

Now THAT'S funny!

Actually, as you pointed out at the time, Ralph resigned (laughably prematurely, as most of us noted back then) Jauron in order to save money.

He, like you, was under the impression that there would be a "bidding war" for DJ's services (after a 5-1 start of another miserable HC season for DJ) at the end of the season. Ralphus thought he was bargain hunting.

So just because you try to save money resigning a guy before he hits the market, you're not spending money? Now THAT'S funny. Almost as funny as thinking Belichick could motivate Haynesworth.

No doubt you see the bang-up job being done by high-priced Shanahan and Allen in Washington. Or Parcells in Miami.

WHO THE HE## IS MAX STEIN? some hack writer "says many bills fans" wanted Ralph to spend more money on coaches ..since when ???? this is a article based on total BULLSH## .. GO BACK TO SAN FRAN OR LA LA LAND STEIN OR WHEREVER and write more BS maybe you can tell us what a idiot has to say? you know, use your own thoughts..This was just a piece of crap journalism he gets a F for Fool! YA think he knows Sully?

WHO THE HE## IS MAX STEIN? some hack writer "says many bills fans" wanted Ralph to spend more money on coaches ..since when ???? this is a article based on total BULLSH## .. GO BACK TO SAN FRAN OR LA LA LAND STEIN OR WHEREVER and write more BS maybe you can tell us what a idiot has to say? you know, use your own thoughts..This was just a piece of crap journalism he gets a F for Fool! YA think he knows Sully?

A 20-something who still lives with mom, whose entire football background is playing Madden and fantasy football.

PTR

So just because you try to save money resigning a guy before he hits the market, you're not spending money? Now THAT'S funny. Almost as funny as thinking Belichick could motivate Haynesworth.

No doubt you see the bang-up job being done by high-priced Shanahan and Allen in Washington. Or Parcells in Miami.

I said saving money. He signed him for less than the two of you thought he would cost a few months later. He panicked---the smart move would have been to wait for Djs inevitable collapse a few weeks later and dump him. Renewing his contract and then firing him makes Ralph look dumb and cheap.

Without a QB, the Skins are going nowhere, no matter who the HC. Ditto in Miami.

I said saving money. He signed him for less than the two of you thought he would cost a few months later. He panicked---the smart move would have been to wait for Djs inevitable collapse a few weeks later and dump him. Renewing his contract and then firing him makes Ralph look dumb and cheap.

Without a QB, the Skins are going nowhere, no matter who the HC. Ditto in Miami.

Virtually every owner tries to lock-up people before they hit the market in order to save money, doc. You know this. It doesn't mean that what DJ got was "cheap." And at the time the extension for DJ was being worked-on, the Bills were 4-0 and looked like a good team. But it's interesting you mention the QB situations in Wash and Miami. Trent Edwards looked like a competent QB in 2008, until the Arizona game happened and his brains got scrambled. But I guess Ralphie should have known that would happen before he gave DJ the new contract.

But you can't really let the big name coaches off the hook for not making the right moves at QB. A lot of times they have explicit personel responsibility.

Article

There is a lot of sarcasm directed to Ralph's perceived cheapness, but the fact is, relatively speaking he has been cheap and it's cost him. When Polian and Butler had his ear, he was a willing spender. But prior to that he was cheap as hell, and after that, he has been mercurial and lacked direction.

Big name coaches don't want to coach in Buffalo, except for a major premium. And Ralph gave Jauron a huge extension, so he'll pay the money.

Thanks to the owner, hopefully that will change soon.

There is a lot of sarcasm directed to Ralph's perceived cheapness, but the fact is, relatively speaking he has been cheap and it's cost him. When Polian and Butler had his ear, he was a willing spender. But prior to that he was cheap as hell, and after that, he has been mercurial and lacked direction.

Ralph is one of the worst owners in NFL history, any real or perceived cheapness tells only part of the story.