Rivers Is Over Rated

NastyMan

I hear a lot about Phillip Rivers and how great he is. I just got done watching the Chargers vs Raiders game (the first time I really watched him play besides the Bills) and he stinks. They talk alot about how Tebow throws the football, this guy isn't much better. Throwing balls where he thinks guys should be, throwing it into double coverage at a key point in the game hoping his reciever will make a play when you watch the replay Gates was wide open underneath. He just didn't impress me at all. Over-rated.

I hear a lot about Phillip Rivers and how great he is. I just got done watching the Chargers vs Raiders game (the first time I really watched him play besides the Bills) and he stinks. They talk alot about how Tebow throws the football, this guy isn't much better. Throwing balls where he thinks guys should be, throwing it into double coverage at a key point in the game hoping his reciever will make a play when you watch the replay Gates was wide open underneath. He just didn't impress me at all. Over-rated.

So you saw a bad game and judged his career? He's in the middle of a rough stretch, and very possibly injured, playing with gates short of 100% as well.... But you figured him out tonight?

please hes been a all pro for the past few years and has had a bad stretch of games. get real. rivers is really good. just in a slump if your gonna judge him off just this year then hes still better then half the QBs in the NFL. plus he lost his LT tonight and a guard so he was playing with a bunch of dudes who suck.

please hes been a all pro for the past few years and has had a bad stretch of games. get real. rivers is really good. just in a slump if your gonna judge him off just this year then hes still better then half the QBs in the NFL. plus he lost his LT tonight and a guard so he was playing with a bunch of dudes who suck.

And it's been pretty widespread he has had an upper chest injury dating back to week 2

Vincent Jackson got outplayed by a rookie wr on his own team. Plus he didnt even bother to fight for the ball. Say "he threw it double coverage" all you want. It's the NFL you're 6'5 and your bread and butter for years has been that post jump ball. Do your job.... and the guy just stands still like a duck. That's not Rivers fault. As a whole the SD offense lacks the same punch it has. Gates is frequently injured and not the same threat he used to be. Malcolm Floyd is injured. They have no reliable #2 outside wr or slot receiver. The loss of Darren Sproles can not even begin to be understated. While Matthews has shown flashes he is not an everydown back and bad at blitz pickup. Not to mention the chargers oline sucks. Oh yeah and they're coached by Norv Turner

Edited by Stealth

Rivers is one of those guys who is exciting to watch because you have no idea what crazy thing he'll do the next play, whether good or bad. Whenever he's throwing you know it's either going to be an amazing play or a real boneheaded blunder. His reaction alone to certain plays is hilarious; just watching his face and his emotions is hilarious at times

Vincent Jackson got outplayed by a rookie wr on his own team. Plus he didnt even bother to fight for the ball. Say "he threw it double coverage" all you want. It's the NFL you're 6'5 and your bread and butter for years has been that post jump ball. Do your job.... and the guy just stands still like a duck. That's not Rivers fault. As a whole the SD offense lacks the same punch it has. Gates is frequently injured and not the same threat he used to be. Malcolm Floyd is injured. They have no reliable #2 outside wr or slot receiver. The loss of Darren Sproles can not even begin to be understated. While Matthews has shown flashes he is not an everydown back and bad at blitz pickup. Not to mention the chargers oline sucks. Oh yeah and they're coached by Norv Turner

Thank you for spending the time to say what I wanted to.

His team sucks. He gave ample opportunities to his receivers and they came up short time and time again. That long throw to Jackson was right where it should've been. Up high where he could go get it...Jackson gave up like a bitc=h. That's not on Rivers in the least. I don't like the Chargers at all...but he isn't the problem there.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, this would be like a Chargers fan saying Fitz is overrated because he was terrible against the Jets. Get a clue you idiot!

No need for name calling IDIOT. Last night he looked like Uncle Rico throwing the football. And yes he is over-rated.

Rivers is a gritty QB who can make big plays.

But the love fest he gets from announcers and pundits is weird. They were gushing over him last night. Yeah, he was harassed by the D all game. But so are a lot of QBs.

There's just something wrong with the Chargers team. They play soft and just didn't appear to have intensity when the game was on the line the past two primetime games.

That Vincent Jackson play at the end is mind boggling. OK he lost sight of the ball. But he just stood there as the Raider yanked the game away. Bizarre, and similar to the botched snap last week.

I don't mean to question your expertise on the matter of Philip Rivers, after all you've seen two games, are clearly well versed in QB play, are intimately familiar with the Chargers playbook and routes, and apparently saw Tebow throw a football...but I don't how else to finish this sentence.

Agree 100% -- and I put it in writing on this board on Oct. 24 after the Jets loss, when they were 4-2. The Chargers have dropped three straight since.

For those who think he's elite: Do you think sub-par performances in playoff games make you elite?

PLAYOFFS

* Appearances: 7

* Record: 3-4

* TDs: 8

* INTs: 9

Playoff Individual Game Stats:

* Game 1 (Loss, 24-21 vs. New England): 14-32, 230 YD, 0 TD, 1 INT

* Game 2 (Win, 17-6 vs. Tennessee): 19-30, 292 YD, 1TD, 1 INT

* Game 3 (Win, 28-24 vs. Indianapolis): 14-19, 264 YD, 3 TD, 1 INT

* Game 4 (Loss, 21-12 vs. New England): 19-37, 211 YD, 0 TD, 2 INT

* Game 5 (Win, 23-17 vs. Indianapolis): 20-36, 217 YD, 0 TD, 1 INT

* Game 6 (Loss, 35-24 vs. Pittsburgh): 21-35, 308 YD, 3 TD, 1 INT

* Game 7 (Loss, 17-14 vs. NYJ): 27-40, 298 YD, 1 TD, 2 INT

For those who believe regular-season stats matter more -- Well, like it or not, we're halfway through the 2011 regular season. Let's check out how Rivers is doing now, huh?

Comp: 216; Attempts: 352; Yards: 2,743; Average 7.8; TDs: 13; INTs: 15; Sacks: 25; Rating: 80.2; Fumbles: 8; Fumbles Lost: 4 (yes, that includes the choke job in KC)

Now, let's take a peek at who the Chargers have beaten this year, and the combined records of those teams (Minnesota, Denver, Miami, Kansas City): 10-22.

Bottom line on last night is Oakland's D was far superior to San Diego's offense. Oakland coached a much better game, and Norv is -- well, Norv.

Remember 2008? Edwards looked really good for the first four games, then took a SHOT in Arizona from Adrian Wilson. He looked -- and played -- scared after that injury. Something is very wrong with Rivers. Whether it's temporary or permanent remains to be seen. His best days could easily be behind him.