Offense got exposed...AGAIN!!!!

Yesterday, the Jets trio of Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, and Kyle Wilson, made it very tough for Fitz to throw to his receivers. For the most part S. Johnson (besides the 2 great catches he made) was contained for most of the day. Donald Jones had no impact whatsoever. I know this is Jones' first week back from injury, but I haven't been impressed with him and don't see what the coaches see in him. While I like Scott Chandler, IMO he is a backup TE playing as a starter.

You're suppose to build a team to win the division. If Nix & Gailey want to win the AFC East and beat the Jets & Patriots on a consistent basis, then they need to do some upgrading. On offense, the Bills need a true #2 WR, someone in the build of Vincent Jackson, that is tall, fast and can beat DB's on the outside. Also, the Bills need a pass catching TE that can catch more than 4 passes a game and can stretch the field down the middle. I know the Bills FO was hoping Shawn Nelson was that guy, but Nelson couldn't stay healthy, got suspended and couldn't produce consistently.

On Defense, the Bills need OLB's that can consistently put pressure on the QB.

The Bills are getting closer to being a real contender, but they still have work ahead of them.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Yesterday, the Jets trio of Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, and Kyle Wilson, made it very tough for Fitz to throw to his receivers. For the most part S. Johnson (besides the 2 great catches he made) was contained for most of the day. Donald Jones had no impact whatsoever. I know this is Jones' first week back from injury, but I haven't been impressed with him and don't see what the coaches see in him. While I like Scott Chandler, IMO he is a backup TE playing as a starter.

You're suppose to build a team to win the division. If Nix & Gailey want to win the AFC East and beat the Jets & Patriots on a consistent basis, then they need to do some upgrading. On offense, the Bills need a true #2 WR, someone in the build of Vincent Jackson, that is tall, fast and can beat DB's on the outside. Also, the Bills need a pass catching TE that can catch more than 4 passes a game and can stretch the field down the middle. I know the Bills FO was hoping Shawn Nelson was that guy, but Nelson couldn't stay healthy, got suspended and couldn't produce consistently.

The Bills are getting closer to being a real contender, but they still have work ahead of them.

Anyone with any sense at all would agree the Bills still have a ways to go. I saw Coleman get some action and maybe it was rust, but he got whipped the few times I saw him in the game. Once by a RB who made a nice gain on a off tackle play he should have made for the Bills. We speak of having depth issues, yet defensively we are short of OLB's (which I believe is why Kelsay is still here in that we haven't anyone better). Moats and Batten were both complete non-factors yesterday and Shepard has a long way to go inside as well. Pass rush has been a need, and all the naysayers aside, Schobel was out only skilled pass rusher in a long time and we must find another consistent pass rushing threat. I don't believe he is currently on the roster today.

Offensively, we are tied to a QB who can be wild and inconsistent who has yet to prove he can go long effectively. Too many underthrown passes when he does. Like Edwards, teams do not respect the long ball from our Bills, which also like Edwards, teams jam and crowd the short game which we have been seeing more and more of lately.

Anyone with any sense at all would agree the Bills still have a ways to go. I saw Coleman get some action and maybe it was rust, but he got whipped the few times I saw him in the game. Once by a RB who made a nice gain on a off tackle play he should have made for the Bills. We speak of having depth issues, yet defensively we are short of OLB's (which I believe is why Kelsay is still here in that we haven't anyone better). Moats and Batten were both complete non-factors yesterday and Shepard has a long way to go inside as well. Pass rush has been a need, and all the naysayers aside, Schobel was out only skilled pass rusher in a long time and we must find another consistent pass rushing threat. I don't believe he is currently on the roster today.

Offensively, we are tied to a QB who can be wild and inconsistent who has yet to prove he can go long effectively. Too many underthrown passes when he does. Like Edwards, teams do not respect the long ball from our Bills, which also like Edwards, teams jam and crowd the short game which we have been seeing more and more of lately.

All good points. The Bills are getting closer, but still have a ways to go.

I thought we had WR depth heading into the season, but it's obvious we only have two good WRs (Johnson and Nelson) and neither are much of a threat outside of 10 yards. We need a deep threat, that has decent hands. Jones drops everything thrown his direction.

Yeah, our WR corp was definitely exposed as a finesse group who can't get separation on their own. Our offense is reliant on Chans ability to create a game plan that can get them open.

Than being said, Vincent Jackson (who you mentioned) had just 1 catch on 8 targets against these Jets recently too...

Yeah, our WR corp was definitely exposed as a finesse group who can't get separation on their own. Our offense is reliant on Chans ability to create a game plan that can get them open.

Than being said, Vincent Jackson (who you mentioned) had just 1 catch on 8 targets against these Jets recently too...

I mentioned a Vincent Jackson type WR, that is tall around 6'4"-6'5", speedy, catch passes on the hash marks near the sidelines and can be that deep threat (guess you could mention a Plaxico Burress type WR as well). I like Johnson & Nelson, but they need help. I like Chandler as well, but IMO he's more of a backup than a starter. To compete with the 3 top CB's of the Jets, the Bills multiple need offensive weapons like the Pats have. A #2 WR to compliment Johnson & Nelson and a pass catching TE that can grab 4-8 passes a game, plus be able to stretch the field & grab passes down the middle of the field.

Anyways, how have you been? I haven't from you in a while.

I thought we had WR depth heading into the season, but it's obvious we only have two good WRs (Johnson and Nelson) and neither are much of a threat outside of 10 yards. We need a deep threat, that has decent hands. Jones drops everything thrown his direction.

I was hoping Easley would have panned out, but that didn't happen. I have never been high on Donald Jones and don't know what the coaches see in him? I think Jones makes a good S.T. player, but not a #2 WR.

Bollocks.

The Bills offense (with a 3rd string LT, and 2nd string LG) was exposed as not being able to play well against a defense with 2 shutdown corners in man to man single coverage, that can then put an extra guy in the front.

The shame! Season Over! Time to rebuild!

How many other defenses have that ability? Name them!

Bollocks.

The Bills offense (with a 3rd string LT, and 2nd string LG) was exposed as not being able to play well against a defense with 2 shutdown corners in man to man single coverage, that can then put an extra guy in the front.

The shame! Season Over! Time to rebuild!

How many other defenses have that ability? Name them!

I give credit to Nix & Gailey, they put a patchwork O-line together and they're making it work.

In regards to my post, you build your team to win your division. Right now, the Bills are not built up enough to beat the Jets. If the Pats had even a half-way decent defense, to go along with their offense, the Bills would have lost that game. I'm not trying to be doom & gloom here, the Bills are doing much better than people anticipated, but the Bills still have work to do on both sides of the ball.

I just wish they would stop calling bombs to Jones on 3rd and less than 5.. It's pretty incredible how many drives have failed because on 3rd and 2 they try to get the ball 30 yards down the field to Jones.. Just get the !@#$ing 1st down guys!

The play calling against the Jets was pretty bad.. I only remember 1 screen all day? and going for it on 4th and inches and handing off to Fred 5 yards behind the line is just stupid.

I just wish they would stop calling bombs to Jones on 3rd and less than 5.. It's pretty incredible how many drives have failed because on 3rd and 2 they try to get the ball 30 yards down the field to Jones.. Just get the !@#$ing 1st down guys!

The play calling against the Jets was pretty bad.. I only remember 1 screen all day? and going for it on 4th and inches and handing off to Fred 5 yards behind the line is just stupid.

Maybe it's the understanding of football by 40% of Bills fans is pretty sad...

I give credit to Nix & Gailey, they put a patchwork O-line together and they're making it work.

In regards to my post, you build your team to win your division. Right now, the Bills are not built up enough to beat the Jets. If the Pats had even a half-way decent defense, to go along with their offense, the Bills would have lost that game. I'm not trying to be doom & gloom here, the Bills are doing much better than people anticipated, but the Bills still have work to do on both sides of the ball.

Whether or not the offense was "exposed" is what we are discussing RIGHT?

I don't think anyone doesn't think they need to improve. I just don't think they were "exposed". If that is true then they won't score nearly as much and will be shutdown in a similar fashion for the rest of the season RIGHT? I don't think another team can do what the Jets did to the Bills, the way the Jets did it.

They play 14 other games and have only faced the Jets once so far. I don't think you are providing some kind of insight into how to win the division, and as I have said before, what beats the Pats won't necessarily beat the Jets.

I said "NAME THE TEAMS THAT CAN DO WHAT THE JETS DID". Well?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Chan has numerous priors for this particular offense. It's a horror show every single time.

Whether or not the offense was "exposed" is what we are discussing RIGHT?

I don't think anyone doesn't think they need to improve. I just don't think they were "exposed". If that is true then they won't score nearly as much and will be shutdown in a similar fashion for the rest of the season RIGHT? I don't think another team can do what the Jets did to the Bills, the way the Jets did it.

They play 14 other games and have only faced the Jets once so far. I don't think you are providing some kind of insight into how to win the division, and as I have said before, what beats the Pats won't necessarily beat the Jets.

I said "NAME THE TEAMS THAT CAN DO WHAT THE JETS DID". Well?

I'd say they got exposed. They've been playing a creative dink & dunk offense and try the deep ball at the wrong possible times.

To name teams: Bengals & Giants also shut down the Bills offense.

I'd say they got exposed. They've been playing a creative dink & dunk offense and try the deep ball at the wrong possible times.

To name teams: Bengals & Giants also shut down the Bills offense.

I didn't feel they shut them down. Those were 3 point games, down to the wire. The Jets were much more effective than either of those teams. If those are the only teams that can do it though, the Bills are a pretty good team.

No other teams on the remaining schedule have a defense near as good as the Jets. If the offense is truly "exposed" I guess it will be shut down by Miami, Dallas, Denver etc., RIGHT?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

We don't have a number one WR. Johnson is far from elite though his route running may be top 5. Jones is cheaper than Evans and that is his only good quality.

OLB and WR have to be at top of needs list, along with another offensive tackle(even if Pears is resigned) and a DB. I think McKelvin is playing ok but Florence and McGee aren't young and we just don't know about Williams yet.

They aren't gonna win the Super Bowl. They need to improve.

These are true, but they are still capable of winning a lot of games. Every team has weaknesses, yes even the Packers. To suddenly jump off the wagon and claim that they are frauds is just overreacting. It still takes a pretty good defense to handle the Bills.

These are true, but they are still capable of winning a lot of games. Every team has weaknesses, yes even the Packers. To suddenly jump off the wagon and claim that they are frauds is just overreacting. It still takes a pretty good defense to handle the Bills.

If this team is to show progress, they need to make the playoffs. I don't need this team to win the SB this year. But they have to win games within the division and make the playoffs. Every game from here on is a playoff and that is the mentality they have to carry forward. The margin of error is too small and the bigger teams are starting to play well (a.k.a Jets).

T

Never said they were frauds, just said their weaknesses got exposed, big difference!! IMO, I really like the direction Nix & Gailey have the team pointed in, but they still have some work to do. Nix & Gailey have built the Bills up quicker than anyone expected, but they still have holes on the team.

Like others have said about Donald Jones, how times are you going to throw the ball to him on 3rd & short and he misses 98% of the time? That's ridiculous!! The play doesn't work, but yet they still try forcing it multiple times a game?! Spiller showed last year that he's capable of catching deep passes, I'd rather see the Bills try those passes to Spiller instead. The 4th & inches play was absolutely terrible!! Dick Jauron did the exact same thing against the Pats 5 years ago with a long drawn up run play and it failed miserably. QB sneak should have been the first option, 2nd option should have been a fake QB sneak into a short pass play. The best fake QB sneak attempt I've seen the Bills use was when Mularkey had Bledsoe pretend to go for the QB sneak, then threw it back to McGahee and he ran it in 33 yards for a TD. I like Gailey's creativity so far, but that 4th & inches play was the worst possible call he's made so far this year.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Never said they were frauds, just said their weaknesses got exposed, big difference!! IMO, I really like the direction Nix & Gailey have the team pointed in, but they still have some work to do. Nix & Gailey have built the Bills up quicker than anyone expected, but they still have holes on the team.

Like others have said about Donald Jones, how times are you going to throw the ball to him on 3rd & short and he misses 98% of the time? That's ridiculous!! The play doesn't work, but yet they still try forcing it multiple times a game?! Spiller showed last year that he's capable of catching deep passes, I'd rather see the Bills try those passes to Spiller instead. The 4th & inches play was absolutely terrible!! Dick Jauron did the exact same thing against the Pats 5 years ago with a long drawn up run play and it failed miserably. QB sneak should have been the first option, 2nd option should have been a fake QB sneak into a short pass play. The best fake QB sneak attempt I've seen the Bills use was when Mularkey had Bledsoe pretend to go for the QB sneak, then threw it back to McGahee and he ran it in 33 yards for a TD. I like Gailey's creativity so far, but that 4th & inches play was the worst possible call he's made so far this year.

Great points about passing deep to Jones on 3rd & short, plus that horrendous 4th & inches call. After seeing the same terrible offensive play calls by the Bills, I was saying "WTF are they thinking?"

the handing off to Fred 5 yards behind the line didnt even bother me, it was the STUPID slow developing counter call on that play that bothered me...Fred could have gotten the first if they just banged him up behind wood on a quick slam play, or even a quick trap...but not that dumb counter

Just a note about all the criticism of the aggressive throws downfield to Donald Jones.

It's clear that opponents are compressing the field against the Bills and that the Bills have to find ways to stretch things out again.

It's one of those deals where people don't complain if it works.

Unfortunately it hasn't been working.

I think people have to consider that fairly early on this season, a succession of bad things happened to the Bills receiving corps after Lee Evans was traded on August 12:

1) Marcus Easley was placed on IR (September 13th)

2) Roscoe Parrish was placed on IR (September 20th).

3) Donald Jones suffered a high ankle sprain and missed several weeks (October 9th)

Losing 4 of your top 6 receivers from the year before was bound to catch up with the Bills offense. Jones is back but missed lots of practice time important to a young, developing player.

I don't know if Jones will ever develop into anything but you have to acknowledge the reasons why he and the receiving corps have been ineffective lately.

Just a note about all the criticism of the aggressive throws downfield to Donald Jones.

It's clear that opponents are compressing the field against the Bills and that the Bills have to find ways to stretch things out again.

It's one of those deals where people don't complain if it works.

Unfortunately it hasn't been working.

I think people have to consider that fairly early on this season, a succession of bad things happened to the Bills receiving corps after Lee Evans was traded on August 12:

1) Marcus Easley was placed on IR (September 13th)

2) Roscoe Parrish was placed on IR (September 20th).

3) Donald Jones suffered a high ankle sprain and missed several weeks (October 9th)

Losing 4 of your top 6 receivers from the year before was bound to catch up with the Bills offense. Jones is back but missed lots of practice time important to a young, developing player.

I don't know if Jones will ever develop into anything but you have to acknowledge the reasons why he and the receiving corps have been ineffective lately.

Great post!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

100 percent right you build the team to win the division. Like that line.

Problem is Revis and Cromartie are the best CB's in the division. They did this with Brady in mind and smartly so. They can take almost any WR's in the league and allows the Jets to blitz at will. This gives the Jets an big edge because they can drop the LB's in the short zones. They had a great game plan for us.

We do have a bigger WR in Easley ,who was making strides before he got hurt. With Jones its a matter of getting more snaps under his belt so we are ok. I like Chandler at TE.

All we need on D is 1 legit pass rusher. One who gets 10-12 sacks a year. I think we need better CB play overall. They are better than average at the Safety spots.

We are closer than people think. To me they are overachieving my expectations pushing for a playoff run THIS year.

Edited by Bufcomments

100 percent right you build the team to win the division. Like that line.

Problem is Revis and Cromartie are the best CB's in the division. They did this with Brady in mind and smartly so. They can take almost any WR's in the league and allows the Jets to blitz at will. This gives the Jets an big edge because they can drop the LB's in the short zones. They had a great game plan for us.

We do have a bigger WR in Easley ,who was making strides before he got hurt. With Jones its a matter of getting more snaps under his belt so we are ok. I like Chandler at TE.

All we need on D is 1 legit pass rusher. One who gets 10-12 sacks a year. I think we need better CB play overall. They are better than average at the Safety spots.

We are closer than people think. To me they are overachieving my expectations pushing for a playoff run THIS year.

This "building a team to win the division" stuff SOUNDS great, except all the teams are constantly changing, and two seasons after you lose because they have great CB's, and you develop a counter attack, they lose a guy to free agency, or someone retires, or their play declines and you are chasing after their PAST success.

The best way is the way The Steelers have gone about things, a philosophy or approach that is set in place, so there are constantly new players being developed to step in. Let the OTHER teams adjust to YOUR team.

I think we should turn this question around.

What team WOULDN"T have a hard time moving the ball against a team like the Jets? The Packers? People are treating it like the Bills have this insurmountable flaw. fact is when the Jets are playing their best virtually ANY TEAM in the league will have trouble moving the ball!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Why does Chan like the empty back field so much in short yardage and inside the 10?

I mean half this thread is spent talking about how the Bills are thin at WR.

IF Freddie is our best player, why not atleast line him up in the backfield?

I have seen very little play action.

Great points. Also, the Bills spent good money to get Brad Smith and they barely use him. Everytime the Bills run the wildcat, you know it's a run and it's most likely going to the left side. I don't understand why Gailey doesn't add in a fake run and let Smith pass while running the wildcat. Fred Jackson did that a few years ago and threw a TD to Evans in the endzone.

Great points. Also, the Bills spent good money to get Brad Smith and they barely use him. Everytime the Bills run the wildcat, you know it's a run and it's most likely going to the left side. I don't understand why Gailey doesn't add in a fake run and let Smith pass while running the wildcat. Fred Jackson did that a few years ago and threw a TD to Evans in the endzone.

:thumbsup: I'm disappointed with how Smith are Spiller are being used. I know Fred Jackson is having an MVP type year, but with Spiller's talent & speed, I don't know why he's not used much more. I would like to see Spiller & D. Nelson split time at the slot WR position and give Nelson reps as a #2 WR. Donald Jones drops about 98% of the passes thrown to him on the sidelines, so why not try those passes to Nelson?

I said it during the week & I'll say it again, the Bills offense got exposed...again. Teams know what we're gonna do on offense. When is the Donald Jones experiment going to end? I can't believe I wasted an afternoon watching this team today. This was an absolute embarrassment!!!!!

I said it during the week & I'll say it again, the Bills offense got exposed...again. Teams know what we're gonna do on offense. When is the Donald Jones experiment going to end? I can't believe I wasted an afternoon watching this team today. This was an absolute embarrassment!!!!!

Donal Jones needs to grab some pine. Karem Aiken looked more like a WR in preseason than Jones has looked for a year and a half. That's not a good sign.

Sadly, to those mentioning Easley, he may have played his last bit of football. We haven't heard anything of his condition, which is also not a good sign.

The way I see it, we have 2 major issues with this team that is hurting our offense. And it's not Chan.

1. No deap threat. We traded Evans, lost Roscoe, lost Easley, then lost Jones for a while. Hell, we had to put Spiller in at receiver at times with Jones out.Jones is horrible. There is a reason he had to wait behind 3 players. The play calling would work a lot better if db's had to respect a vertical threat.

2. We are starting our LG(who was playing at a pro-bowl level) at LT. which means we are starting a scrub at LG. Our left side of the line is a mess. Hopefully we get those 2 back. Bell,Levitre,Wood make up a hell of a left side of the line.

Seems simple enough to me. We are not deep enough as a team(yr 2 of rebuild) on offense to handle that many injuries. Hopefully this offseason we can get a deep threat and depth on th oline.

Donal Jones needs to grab some pine. Karem Aiken looked more like a WR in preseason than Jones has looked for a year and a half. That's not a good sign.

Sadly, to those mentioning Easley, he may have played his last bit of football. We haven't heard anything of his condition, which is also not a good sign.

I agree 100% Aiken looked very good in preseason & I don't know why Jones continues to be out on the field?

I hope Easley will be okay. Even if his career is over with, I hope he can still have a normal life with his heart condition.

I will ask again,

WHY DOES CHAN GO TO NO RB ON EVERY SHORT YARDAGE SITUATION????

This is completely mind boggiling.

Fred Jackson is the most consistent player on the Bills. Chan doesnt line him up in the backfield to atleast keep the D honest???

I understand it worked sometimes early in the season. Even then i did not like it.

But now defenses have seemed to learn how to stop whatever the Bills are doing.

IF Chan is a great offensive innovator he needs to see this is not working anymore.

I know i am pulling a needle out of the haystake of defeciences. But this is ridiculious.

We don't have a number one WR. Johnson is far from elite though his route running may be top 5. Jones is cheaper than Evans and that is his only good quality.

OLB and WR have to be at top of needs list, along with another offensive tackle(even if Pears is resigned) and a DB. I think McKelvin is playing ok but Florence and McGee aren't young and we just don't know about Williams yet.

McKelvin is a feats or famine CB, with more time of hunger than would be preferred. McGee may be old, but he has outplayed Florence, who has been brutally horrible and who basically gave the Giants their win over Buffalo. In fact, I expect McGee to actually up his game the longer he stays healthy, even though he's on the wrong side of 30.

I was hoping Easley would have panned out, but that didn't happen.

Easley's make-up fits The Bills Need best...at least of the guys we had on the Roster at the beginning of the Season...For me it's not so much a deep threat Need as it is a legit #1 WR Need...Get a guy like Dez Bryant and see how much better it will make Stevie, Jones, Nelson, and so on...The Bills Need a match-up nightmare at WR...A true NFL year 2011 #1 guy...Those guys are big, strong, powerful leapers who have enough speed to outrun guys, but more importantly have exceptional Ball skills and instincts to go up and get the Ball over Defenders...THAT'S what The Bills Need more than anything else on Offense... B-)

This offense has no identity since defenses have figured out the Bills spread offense short passing game which essentially set up Fred Jackson. Within the losses Brad Smith has also become useless in short yardage as well as our 1st round pick C.J Spiller as either a RB or WR. Our potential franchise Wr, where's he?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever