Dareus vs. Mangold

Mangold is a clutch and gab mark schleroth type blocker. That can work in pass protection but not so much in run where you have to get out and hit people. That could be a key reason the supposed ground and pound jets can't run up the middle.

Wood is a much stronger physical presence who can stay on his feet and get to the second level in run support. Giants found that out the hard way on freddies long TD run when wood got by the line and picked off 2 LBs. He's a key factor bills have been so effective running up the middle.

With that and low sack against total

Guys having a pro bowl year for sure.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Will be exciting to see what Dareus does at nose tackle again, especially against a guy like Mangold. Also everything Joe said is totally true, Eric Wood is an absolutely fierce blocker, highest motor on the o-line. Levitre is the most technically sound, but Wood just man handles people.

It looks like a classic throwdown this sunday crucial to each teams performance. I would like to know who wins the battle and why? I think its gonna be CRAZY! And I'll be at THE RAPLH to watch it!! Woohoo!! GO BUFFALO!!!

Mangold is going down and hope his sister is there to give him crap about it :devil: (Mangold's sister is an Olympic weightlifter and a bit on the heavy side and he teased her for being overweight)

Mangold is a clutch and gab mark schleroth type blocker. That can work in pass protection but not so much in run where you have to get out and hit people. That could be a key reason the supposed ground and pound jets can't run up the middle.

Wood is a much stronger physical presence who can stay on his feet and get to the second level in run support. Giants found that out the hard way on freddies long TD run when wood got by the line and picked off 2 LBs. He's a key factor bills have been so effective running up the middle.

With that and low sack against total

Guys having a pro bowl year for sure.

Yeah, but..

Mangold has become a fixture in Hawaii and we all know previous PBer's get the 'nod' on rep alone..

Mangold knows tricks Dareus will have to learn on the job.

It looks like a classic throwdown this sunday crucial to each teams performance. I would like to know who wins the battle and why? I think its gonna be CRAZY! And I'll be at THE RAPLH to watch it!! Woohoo!! GO BUFFALO!!!

Too many intangibles. Is Mangold 100%? Does his ankle still bother him? How clever is Dareus, has he reached the point where he can really pwn one of the NFL's best?

Did anyone else hear, in his Weds interview Chan pretty much said Dareus was going to stay in the middle "for the foreseeable future"? Wasn't clear if that meant, after watching film he was that impressed with Dareus, or if he really knows Williams is unlikely to come back. He stopped short of endorsing Dareus over Williams, just said "let's wait until we have that situation".

Certainly if Dareus pwns Mangold, it's going to be hard to move him outta there even if Williams comes back. Williams better be studying up on the fine points of playing DE.

I don't believe in linemen and linebackers as lego pieces that are 100% interchangeable, but that guy on Buffalo Rumblings did a great analysis last year on Williams strengths and why he's at his best when he's used differently classic NT - anyone else recall the piece I'm talking about? I tried searching over there and couldn't find it, it really rocked and I'd like to read it again.

Edited by Hopeful

Yeah, but..

Mangold has become a fixture in Hawaii and we all know previous PBer's get the 'nod' on rep alone..

Mangold knows tricks Dareus will have to learn on the job.

they will double him because they will have to -0thers need to make plays too

Never a doubt in my mind Williams is best used as a 4-3 DT and dareus is the much better 3-4 NT prospect

have we seen Williams play DE especially with other good D-linemen? wouldn't suprise me if the move them around...rotate them at different spots

WHEN I FIRST GOT MY SEASON TICKETS I GOT TO WATCH JOE KLECKO AND MARK GASTINEAU FACE KEN JONES AND JOE DEVLIN ,that was a fantastic battle to see ,those guys slugged, slammed ,poked, elbowed, bit, and a bunch of other stuff,,by the way the jets "sack exchange"went sackless. it was a memory i never forgot..i think when dareus faces mangold itll be one for you.. enjoy the game ,, GO BILLS

All I know is when you have TWO pro bowl caliber DT's on your team you dont run a 3-4.

4-3 with a sharp eye to the draft on a pass rushing 4-3 defensive end would be the best situation......then you draft linebackers and secondary accordingly

while I kind of agree with this...what do you do with your TWO ILBs (the only LBs on the team worth their salt)....let Barnett play and have Shepp. sit and wait, even though hes played this year and proved his worth?

All I know is when you have TWO pro bowl caliber DT's on your team you dont run a 3-4.

4-3 with a sharp eye to the draft on a pass rushing 4-3 defensive end would be the best situation......then you draft linebackers and secondary accordingly

Exactly. You can't block Williams and Dearus, and then any DE could look like an all-star. Imagine if we drafted a fantatic DE to go with these to beasts in the middle.

Never happen with chan. He's a systems guy on both sides of the ball. Upon arrival he expressed his preference for the 3-4 based on how he felt it was more difficult to run an offense against it.

Never happen with chan. He's a systems guy on both sides of the ball. Upon arrival he expressed his preference for the 3-4 based on how he felt it was more difficult to run an offense against it.

The reason many teams are running a 3-4 (at least part of the time) these days has to do with the spread offenses they're facing week after week. With the league moving closer and closer to a pure passing game D coordinators are trying to find ways to counter it with quickness. That generally means fewer DLmen. I read a good article on it a few weeks ago, I'll see if I can find it.

That being said I tend to agree with the sentiments of John - when you have two dominant guys inside I'm not sure you just move one of them to the outside. Add to it that I'm not sure they've moved the correct one - just looking at pure body type Dareus seems the obvious choice for NT over Williams. Of course, if we run a 4-3 primarily we have to take one of our two best LBs off the field, again, not a good choice.

Granted, it's tough to tell a guy who's coming off a pro bowl that he's changing positions but still, the Bills would be much tougher to run against with Dareus in the middle as he can hold his ground and take up two blockers whereas Williams is more of a one gap player who can and move upfield and disrupt plays in the backfield. Williams can look fantastic blowing plays up in the backfield but he also can be way out of position when the play gets run right where he was at. Of course, the two compliment each other fantastically in a 4-3...