PFW Whispers around the league

Estro

The last bullet of the article regarding Fitzpatrick. I don't disagree with the contract the Bills gave Fitz. I think it's a decent deal for both side. I can't say though that I totally disagree with the thought that Fitz will never get them where they want to go (and I'm assuming he means as a Super Bowl winner). Coming off the last 10 years of futility though, I'm content with a QB that can help us contend for a division title and a playoff appearance. I'm not certain Fitzy has the consistent accuracy to ever put together a 3-4 game run in the playoffs against good defenses to make that championship run. Like I said though, I think he's a fit now, and I have no problem with the contract, in fact I'm happy with it.

There's also no stopping the Bills from drafting a QB if theres one they really like. Witht hey way the rookies get paid now, there's nothing wrong with grooming a QB for a few years. If they are playing well it means Fitzy's doing alright and they won't have a shot at the best QB prospects. If the Bills and Fitz wee to fall flat on their face then the Bills would be in a position to draft a QB high anyhow.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/30/insider-49ers-rookie-olb-smith-really-impressing

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one team wins the Super Bowl every year. The goal should be a consistent winner. If the Bills thought Fitz could with them 10 games each year for the next 6 then its a great deal. Once you get to the playoffs its anyones game

Great point. Did anyone think the Giants were actually a better team than the Pats the year they won it all? Of course not. They had the right team and the right momentum for their time.

This logic is flawed. Fitzy has never been the man before where the organization has been behind him 100% as the starting QB and getting the whole season to start. We don't know how far Fitzy will grow and learn as a QB. So all this yaking about he can't take us to the SB is pure crap and speculation. For all we know, he is smart and will grow and become the best QB known to the sport of football. It's all speculation. I for one think Fitzy is not done getting better and will improve over this season and coming seasons.

It's actually kind of a wishy-washy comment. The person says they don't think he will take them where they want to go, but then states that the price was only going to go up so they understand the deal. So, in other words, this person is not really criticizing the contract, just betting that Fitz will not win the Super Bowl. Real strong stand there.

This logic is flawed. Fitzy has never been the man before where the organization has been behind him 100% as the starting QB and getting the whole season to start. We don't know how far Fitzy will grow and learn as a QB. So all this yaking about he can't take us to the SB is pure crap and speculation. For all we know, he is smart and will grow and become the best QB known to the sport of football. It's all speculation. I for one think Fitzy is not done getting better and will improve over this season and coming seasons.

great post! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lets give him some time to see what he develops into.

It's actually kind of a wishy-washy comment. The person says they don't think he will take them where they want to go, but then states that the price was only going to go up so they understand the deal. So, in other words, this person is not really criticizing the contract, just betting that Fitz will not win the Super Bowl. Real strong stand there.

Keep doubting...it only makes him stronger. Seriously, all the "experts" have been proven wrong over and over. All they can do now is talk crap about Fitz's ceiling, which keeps going higher.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's always the same BS. First, the Bills can't win with Fitz... now they are winning. If the make the playoffs it will be "He can lead them to the playoffs but not a championship". The only way that he will shut people up is to do it. Fitzpatrick is better than several QBs that have won Super Bowls, so yes he can do it.

PS- Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard?

Keep doubting...it only makes him stronger. Seriously, all the "experts" have been proven wrong over and over. All they can do now is talk crap about Fitz's ceiling, which keeps going higher.

PTR

I will admit, I was a Fitz Doubter. I had concerns about his accuracy in the passing game, but his win total continues to climb and that is the only proof I need.

What signing Fitz allows Gailey and Nix to build a team around his strengths. Chan and Buddy realize that Fitz doesn't have a huge arm but they know the guy is smart as hell. They will put the pieces in place to allow Gailey and Fitz to outthink the opponents. What Fitz lacks in pure physical athleticism he makes up for in smarts. You can't coach that and no amount of weightlifting will make you mentally stronger.

The longer Megamind Gailey and the Cranium QB are together the better they will be.

I agree with you.....as long as they have an OL to keep him intact and give him a deep threat, which we are lacking right now. Fitz seems to have no memory of bad plays and that is a huge plus for him along with his intelligence. His arm strength is vastly underestimated. I have seen him scream-air it in there when necessary. Give him a legitimate deep threat and this offense is scha-mokin.

What signing Fitz allows Gailey and Nix to build a team around his strengths. Chan and Buddy realize that Fitz doesn't have a huge arm but they know the guy is smart as hell. They will put the pieces in place to allow Gailey and Fitz to outthink the opponents. What Fitz lacks in pure physical athleticism he makes up for in smarts. You can't coach that and no amount of weightlifting will make you mentally stronger.

The longer Megamind Gailey and the Cranium QB are together the better they will be.

That thought just made me so happy for some reason.

The last bullet of the article regarding Fitzpatrick. I don't disagree with the contract the Bills gave Fitz. I think it's a decent deal for both side. I can't say though that I totally disagree with the thought that Fitz will never get them where they want to go (and I'm assuming he means as a Super Bowl winner). Coming off the last 10 years of futility though, I'm content with a QB that can help us contend for a division title and a playoff appearance. I'm not certain Fitzy has the consistent accuracy to ever put together a 3-4 game run in the playoffs against good defenses to make that championship run. Like I said though, I think he's a fit now, and I have no problem with the contract, in fact I'm happy with it.

There's also no stopping the Bills from drafting a QB if theres one they really like. Witht hey way the rookies get paid now, there's nothing wrong with grooming a QB for a few years. If they are playing well it means Fitzy's doing alright and they won't have a shot at the best QB prospects. If the Bills and Fitz wee to fall flat on their face then the Bills would be in a position to draft a QB high anyhow.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/30/insider-49ers-rookie-olb-smith-really-impressing

I bet you never thought Trent Dilfer would win a superbowl now did you?

I had my doubts going into the season, but after the 2 comebacks I have complete faith that Fitz is good enough to win a Super Bowl. I immediately challenged other posters here to a $150 bet. After seeing that he didn't blow it under high pressure for the two complete 2nd halfs (halves?) of those games, I knew that he was for real. He doesn't fold under pressure, and those games were Montana-esque. No, I don't think he is as good as Montana, but he can get the job done.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I agree with you.....as long as they have an OL to keep him intact and give him a deep threat, which we are lacking right now. Fitz seems to have no memory of bad plays and that is a huge plus for him along with his intelligence. His arm strength is vastly underestimated. I have seen him scream-air it in there when necessary. Give him a legitimate deep threat and this offense is scha-mokin.

I dunno, I think, all in all, the O-line has been pretty good this year. Part of that is coaching, part of that is the linemen themselves...but you can't underestimate how much better an O-line will look, when their QB knows what they are doing. Fitz rarely holds on to the ball too long, unlike his two previous predecessors. It makes such a huge difference.

As far as I am concerned, Fitz has only gotten better and better...when he first became the starter last year, despite the obvious improvement over Edwards, he would still throw about a half dozen passes per game where you would just close your eyes, and cross your fingers that nothing bad was going to happen...he has cut that number down to about 1 or 2 per game...and, I know it has been said over and over, but he just seems very in tune with the guy calling the plays...I just don't see any reason to already be thinking that he can't lead the Bills to a Super Bowl.

The contract also only gives him 24 million in guaranteed money not bad if they release him in 3-4 years.

I hear what you are saying, but it kind of bums me out that everyone seems to be taking this view of the deal...it is a real positive move by the Bills, but people seem to be measuring it in terms of the minimal amount of damage it can do the franchise...I know, we are accustomed to this kind of thinking, but I am enjoying the hell out of this.

Edited by Buftex