dareus inside was not why...

loserlovers

So every report says moving Dareus inside was why the defense did so much better.

So let me get this straight, Dareus is a good pass rusher, but pass-rushes better from the middle with a double team? And so not having a pro bowl williams to eat up said double team also makes him better?

I think it was more of a lackluster redskin line combined with their need to pass often being behind most of the game. That and the time Beck took to read the defense and good coverages.

Saying Dareus plays better as a Nose takle vs a D-end doesnt make sense, dont good pass rushers play better outside? would Bruce have played better in the middle and gotten more sacks?

This reminds me of the time Josh reed got hurt and we started losing at the same time, everyone said it was the loss of reed, later we found out Losman and the Bills just plain sucked.

It was a good game for all pass rushers, so why were they all better? did they all move positions?

Ps- I know nose tackles have a half second advantage over the center but doesnt the duble team negate that?

It looked to me like we were able to engineer a pass rush. We sent 5, 6, 7 players on blitzes ALOT. Getting creative, overloading one side, and daring beck to beat us with his arm. This was very effective against a inexperienced qb, we would not be able to do this with brady* or more experienced QBs without getting burned a few times in the process.

The reason for the Bills' sacks was not on the Bills' side of the ball: the Redskins offense, bluntly, suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

And it's not just their line - they were missing their top two running backs, and their top tight end and best receiver. That's a hell of a lot of not running the ball, but rather holding on to it while guys you're not used to playing with struggle to get open in the second and a half you have before the left side of your line collapses and there's no RB or TE in blocking to save your ass.

The Redskins are a Greek drama at this point - three parts tragedy, one part comedy.

The reason for the Bills' sacks was not on the Bills' side of the ball: the Redskins offense, bluntly, suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

And it's not just their line - they were missing their top two running backs, and their top tight end and best receiver. That's a hell of a lot of not running the ball, but rather holding on to it while guys you're not used to playing with struggle to get open in the second and a half you have before the left side of your line collapses and there's no RB or TE in blocking to save your ass.

The Redskins are a Greek drama at this point - three parts tragedy, one part comedy.

Love that Greek drama line! And you're right about the Skin's O sucking but the D line still had to make plays and they did. They had 2 weeks to prepare and they came up with a few wrinkles, add to that the fact that losing Merriman was addition by subtraction,he is not the same player he once was. Obviously KW has been underperforming due to the injury he has been nursing, and Sheppard stepping in helped as well. Lets see what they bring this week!

Edited by Tarkus II

Could it be, partly, too, that Williams was not in, playing at half strength?

Shhhhhh Buftex.....its "day after game trying to lament what went right time" dont disturb them.

I present THIS to you.

This team would probably be seeing QB pressure productivity with a Healthy Williams much the same way Darius helped to provide yesterday

This is what I saw with Williams....he has an incredible first step and burst off the line....but DO TO HIS INJURY he lacked power after his initial move......this combined with Williams small frame was causing there to be SOME (not a seive like last year but still) running lanes that linebackers were coming up and cleaning up.......Marcel Darius was man handling two guys on nearly every play....which was freeing up other defensive linemen to win one on one assignments...this in conjunction with Darius being a rock against the run was just taking everything away from the Redskins.....

Were the redskins hurt? Sure.....but they are still an NFL franchise.

Going into the game, we rushed more than 4 players 20% of the plays. Lowest in the NFL. Don't have stats on it, but it looked like we brought more than 4 most of the game vs the skins. Due too a bad OL, a bad QB, bad Wrs and a bad RB, we were able to dominate. I'm eager to see the defensive game plan vs the jets and cowboys. I hope we plan on bringing pressure like we did on Sunday. Rushing 3 and 4 guys makes our secondary look worse than they are. Bring the pressure Edwards, or leave.

some guys are just better playing inside then outside and I think Dareus is more suited for the inside but he was due for a big game no matter what

DE's usually rely on their speed to rush the passer where a NT/DT relies more on his strength and ability to penetrate the line and shed blockers

There were a lot of factors that contributed to the sacks the Bills were able to get.

Beck stinks

the Redskins o-line is not that good

the only real weapon they have in the passing game is Davis

Bills were ahead

but the biggest factor in my opinion was that the Bills blitzed a lot more then they did in the previous 6 games. Chan mentioned before the bye that they needed to generate a pass rush somehow and it seems like their solution was to blitz more

Edited by Max997

Moats is as big a reason as Dareus...

Moats may well develop, but he reminds me a lot of Kelsay's pass rush of yore. Big wide 4-5 second route to QB. I like his 'Motor" but he's not quite there yet. He definitely appears superior to Batten though at this point.

It was surprising to me how often on 3rd and greater than 5 to go, the Bills rushed two down lineman and Moats, and that was it.

Also, it looked like Darius was getting better push up the middle than Williams has been. Because of that, Beck was turning into the upfield push by the LB's and ends ..and there you have your nine sacks.

I am NOT saying Darius is better than Williams, but with the injury Kyle was not getting that same level of penetration. Should be interesting to watch Ole 99 against Mangold this week..cause you think they may try and have him go one on so the guards get some help.

Edited by plenzmd1

It looked to me like we were able to engineer a pass rush. We sent 5, 6, 7 players on blitzes ALOT. Getting creative, overloading one side, and daring beck to beat us with his arm. This was very effective against a inexperienced qb, we would not be able to do this with brady* or more experienced QBs without getting burned a few times in the process.

This ^. To my great surprise Edwards/Wanny actually dialed up some aggressive blitzes, something did very little of all season. This is something I have been dying to see.

It wasn't all Blitzes though, the return of Kelsay was very much welcome as well. He still looks like our strongest edge pass rusher. Moats was looking like a pesky pass rusher as well. Of Course the big guys, Heard, Edwards, and obviously Dareus were dominant all game long as well. The real trick here is to continue this trend, especially against Sanchez. I hate the guy, but he will not be NEARLY as easy to sack as beck.

Oh yeah, Shanahan is a freaking idiot. To think I wanted him as our coach at one point. He has driven all players with the slightest hint of talent from his team, and despite Grossman (I'm no fan but he did ok) leading his team to an improbable 3-1 start, he was benched after one game. The only thing keeping this team from being a bottom feeder is a surprisingly good defense, which Shanahan has nothing to do with(Haslett). He is supposed to be an offensive guru...Obviously all his success rode on the backs of Elway and Davis...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So every report says moving Dareus inside was why the defense did so much better.

So let me get this straight, Dareus is a good pass rusher, but pass-rushes better from the middle with a double team? And so not having a pro bowl williams to eat up said double team also makes him better?

I think it was more of a lackluster redskin line combined with their need to pass often being behind most of the game. That and the time Beck took to read the defense and good coverages.

Saying Dareus plays better as a Nose takle vs a D-end doesnt make sense, dont good pass rushers play better outside? would Bruce have played better in the middle and gotten more sacks?

This reminds me of the time Josh reed got hurt and we started losing at the same time, everyone said it was the loss of reed, later we found out Losman and the Bills just plain sucked.

It was a good game for all pass rushers, so why were they all better? did they all move positions?

Ps- I know nose tackles have a half second advantage over the center but doesnt the duble team negate that?

Despite the downplaying of the effort for a myriad of reasons including "it was the Redskins" I think that Dareus definitely did make a difference at the NT. Besides the fact that the numbers overwhelmingly support this and the testimony of his teammates seems to confirm that he was a difference maker there and had a HUGE game.

KW is great. He is a probowl 4-3 DT. That being said he is without question still undersized for an ideal 3-4 NT. Now THAT being said I don't think it was that KW is out of place at the nose as much as his health has been an issue for a lot longer than we knew at first. I think it limited his effectiveness. The NT plays in less space than a DE and just pushes the pile or knifes through to the QB or runner when the opportunity is there.

Long story short I think a healthy 6'4" 346 lb Dareus made a difference over the 6'1" 301 lb injured and gimpy KW. Perhaps you are trying to preemptively address all of the talk about moving Dareus to NT and KW to DE. You could make an argument either way. Keeping things flexible from play to play to mix it up might by far be the smartest way to approach it going forward. If not for anything else it would give us options and keep the offense guessing.

Hightower was their top running back technically but that was changing from week to week even before his injury. Shannahan hasn't had an unquestioned #1 back since Clinton Portis but most would say his last #1 guy was Terrell Davis. Fred Davis their TE is their top TE. Chris Cooley was slowly giving more and more ground to Davis even before his injuries. True, Santana Moss was their top WR but it's still Santana Moss.

Can't we enjoy this victory instead of trying to find fault with it and take credit away from a great game by a rookie filling in for a probowler?

<br />We need our best players on the field together at all times possible.. I say go back to the 4-3 and put in..<br /><br />Edwards<br />Williams<br />Darrious<br />Johnson<br /><br /><br />Moats<br />Barnett<br />Battan<br /><br />Byrd<br />Wilson<br />Mcgee<br />Florance<br />
Batten is a top 3 LB on this team? Please stop. I like his motor, but he really has been invisible when he's been on the field as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'm too drunk on Sunday's to see him, but does anyone else think this is our 3rd best LB? If so, why?