Fitzy #tebowing

BillsBiker

How would you feel if a player of another faith made public displays during games? I have a hunch most Christians would find it offensive.

PTR

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with it ... Why should I? So that your argument is supported? In our great country, the best I can hope for is the ability to practice my beliefs without restriction as long as it doesn't infringe on the personal rights of those around me. I would welcome that from any other religious person as well. You might want to put that fairly wide brush away ... BTW I am conservative (theologically), progressive (socially) and conservative (fiscally) ... And evangelical (that's a small 'e', not capital).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preach on, brother.

Not to start a hate fest, but it always seems OK to have open season on Christians. You have one little show of reverence or say one thing about Christ having an impact in your life and all of a sudden you are labeled a Jesus Freak or whatever. I like Tebow even more because of his devotion to his God.

And I adamantly dislike him because he seems to think that God cared if Matt Prater made a kick in a game between the 1-4 Broncos and the 0-5 Dolphins, while meanwhile the entire city of Bangkok is flooded.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with it ... Why should I? So that your argument is supported? In our great country, the best I can hope for is the ability to practice my beliefs without restriction as long as it doesn't infringe on the personal rights of those around me. I would welcome that from any other religious person as well. You might want to put that fairly wide brush away ... BTW I am conservative (theologically), progressive (socially) and conservative (fiscally) ... And evangelical (that's a small 'e', not capital).

That's sort of the key phrase isn't it? At what point does something infringe on others rights. Certainly Tebow kneeling and praying during games does not. Putting a religious display in a public building might. Compulsory prayers in public school definitely.

But why does Tim Tebow feel obligated to let everyone see he's having a one-on-one with the big guy upstairs? Is he showing off how devout he is? Is he one-upping those who aren't more public with their faith? Is he advertising for Jesus so little Joey will start praying in Pop Warner games like his NFL hero? Either way I think that opens him to commentary, pro and con.

PTR

It happened when Fitz took that big hit and went down. As he came up he nelt down and went into Tebowing. He was smiling when he got up, I found it funny.

:thumbdown:

Really don't see any humor in it at all, do you think he was really trying to mock Tim Tebow? He was hurt--that's all. And if he was, well, he would lose the respect of way more people than those who would think it was funny.

Now get back to Homeroom.

Edited by CSBill

Preach on, brother.

Not to start a hate fest, but it always seems OK to have open season on Christians. You have one little show of reverence or say one thing about Christ having an impact in your life and all of a sudden you are labeled a Jesus Freak or whatever. I like Tebow even more because of his devotion to his God.

Oh, God, here we go . . .

I wonder how many would feel the same way if his devotion were to Allah. It's not the prayer, it's the sanctimony. Moreover, I can't help ask when a player thanks God for the win, "What does that mean?" Is it "God's Will" when you lose and/or flat-out suck (Looking at you Timmy)?

[That should stir the hornet's nest]

That's sort of the key phrase isn't it? At what point does something infringe on others rights. Certainly Tebow kneeling and praying during games does not. Putting a religious display in a public building might. Compulsory prayers in public school definitely.

But why does Tim Tebow feel obligated to let everyone see he's having a one-on-one with the big guy upstairs? Is he showing off how devout he is? Is he one-upping those who aren't more public with their faith? Is he advertising for Jesus so little Joey will start praying in Pop Warner games like his NFL hero? Either way I think that opens him to commentary, pro and con.

PTR

Lots of people pray other than the 35 minutes they are in church on Sunday. What business is it of yours when and how he does it?

Heathen :devil:

Unfortunately for Christians, they bring whatever scorn they receive upon themselves by judging everyone around them and by attempting to proliferate their belief system to everyone they come into contact with.

However, that does not make you any less of an ignorant jerk if you are one of the people perpetrating the scorn against them.

Yes, it is annoying when someone sanctimoniously passes off their beliefs as unequivocal truth. Yes, it is annoying when they continually attempt to convert people who obviously want no part of their belief system. But it is downright shameful the animosity that a significant sector of society holds towards a group of people who's interest include being a good, moral person and spreading the gospel that everlasting life is available to everyone on Earth. No matter how misguided their attempts may or may not be, are they really hurting you? You anti-Christians should be ashamed. And you can rest assured, you are NO MORE enlightened than any of the Christians you so despise - in fact I would say that most of you are far more ignorant than most of the Christians I've ever known.

I wonder how many would feel the same way if his devotion were to Allah. It's not the prayer, it's the sanctimony. Moreover, I can't help ask when a player thanks God for the win, "What does that mean?" Is it "God's Will" when you lose and/or flat-out suck (Looking at you Timmy)?

Missing the point, but that's OK.

Lots of people pray other than the 35 minutes they are in church on Sunday. What business is it of yours when and how he does it?

Heathen :devil:

When they make a big public display of it. Look I was raised a good Roman Catholic boy. I was both a choir and alter boy. Got all the Sacrements (except for last Rites, lol) There is an idea in Catholicism that one needs to be humble. Of course that means humble to God, but also to your fellow man. Striking a pose and letting everyone know you are praying a couple times a game does not strike me as humility.

PTR

When they make a big public display of it. Look I was raised a good Roman Catholic boy. I was both a choir and alter boy. Got all the Sacrements (except for last Rites, lol) There is an idea in Catholicism that one needs to be humble. Of course that means humble to God, but also to your fellow man. Striking a pose and letting everyone know you are praying a couple times a game does not strike me as humility.

PTR

Have a missed something? Is he standing at the mid-field emblem (a la Terrell Owens) and asking a spotlight to be shown on him as he genuflects to God Almighty? Is he wearing a special emblem on this jersey that says "God's Chosen"?

I appreciate your take as a fellow Catholic. I just think a lot of the flaming is undue and a little exacerbated b/c of...who knows.

I have a feeling that if you would educate yourself regarding the Christian belief system before you start judging it, you might not have to post ignorant questions on an internet forum.

PTR

I guess it's a good thing he isn't praying for your benefit then, isn't it?

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

No offense to the OP, but I am getting sick of this "Tebowing" thing.

If he were a muslim, you think people would be making fun of him for praying?

I hope he freaking smites all of the haters.

I want to see someone pull out a prayer rug and turn to face Mecca after a touchdown. Good times... :w00t:

I have a feeling that if you would educate yourself regarding the Christian belief system before you start judging it, you might not have to post ignorant questions on an internet forum.

You mean YOUR belief system (hence, you make my point). My Mom happens to be a protestant minister, and I can safely say there are sharp disagreements on many key issues even among so-called Protestants (not even taking on differences with Catholics, Evangelicals, the Amish, Eastern Orthodox, etc). Even if you take a quick look over religious history (hell, even the last 100 years), and it's amazing how people can get so upset about who is right and wrong about basic issues. And you gall to accuse me of not understanding the Christian belief system . . .

But I will give you this chance: So, what IS the Christian Belief System?

Isn't it ironic how the same group of people who clamor for universal human rights and tolerance of alternative lifestyles are so intolerant of Christian beliefs? Actually, its beyond irony. It's hypocrisy.

Not really. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are all inherently intolerant. They only rise above barbarism when you selectively follow their teachings.