Pats are NOT Tied with the Bills

The Avenger

I agree with the people that say it doesn't matter yet but will also point out that our loss against the Giants has really helped us. I got into a big argument in another thread about this topic and people really misunderstood the tiebreaker. I am glad that I did not post in this thread until page three but i also have to point out that I was correct in the other thread and this proves it.

Why do i getting the feeling that the majority of people on TBD are either under 21 or retarded.

So all the media here in the Boston area are proclaiming that the Pats are now "tied atop the AFC East with Buffalo" - too bad they're not actually tied. We have the same record, but the Bills have a better AFC East record and, oh yeah, the BILLS BEAT THE PATS HEAD TO HEAD. Saying the Bills and Pats are tied is like saying I am tied with Bruce Smith for sacks this year....

Wow - never expected a 3 page thread on this and people getting so worked up about it. Just thought it was funny that Boston can't seem to hack they they are not on top so they soften it using laguage like "tied atop the AFC East".

Look - I know it's week 8 and there's a lot of football left so it's meaningless. On the other hand, I take great pride in my Bills not only being on top of the standings, but truly being in first if things were to end today. The Bruce Smith coment was meant to illustrate that while it's technically true Brue and I have the same number of sacks this season, one of us is actually a hall of fame defensive end and the other is merely a fan but if you look deeper than the stat sheet you'd know that.

So all the media here in the Boston area are proclaiming that the Pats are now "tied atop the AFC East with Buffalo" - too bad they're not actually tied. We have the same record, but the Bills have a better AFC East record and, oh yeah, the BILLS BEAT THE PATS HEAD TO HEAD. Saying the Bills and Pats are tied is like saying I am tied with Bruce Smith for sacks this year....

For all common sense purposes, they are in fact tied, as tie breakers only come into play at the end of the season. Now if there were a strike or cancellation of the rest of the season and they started the playoffs this week, then those tie breakers would mean something. We have only played one of our 6 division games, so it is a waste of time talking about tiebreakers.

Edited by billsfreak

But heaven for !@#$ing bid we enjoy a hypothetical situation in week 8 that allows us to wave our collective fingers high above the Buffalo skyline to definitively declare, from now until Sunday, WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

That comes off as pretty lame, although I'm sure you don't intend it to. It sounds like you have so little faith in our ability to win the division, or to beat the Pats in the rematch, that you have to grasp at chop stix to shout "WE'RE NUMBER ONE!" from now until Sunday.

I think the real reason you're ticked off is because, deep down in places you don't like to talk about, you don't really think the Bills can hang with the Pats in the division race, and if you don't grasp at the technicality of the tiebreaker rules to claim superiority, the opportunity will pass you by.

Have more faith Bills Nation! Quantum physics are on our side this year:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/135378-got-a-weird-feeling/page__st__40__p__2258408__hl__%2Blarge+%2Bhadron__fromsearch__1#entry2258408

The super-geek physicists who turned the power all the way up on the Large Hadron Super Collider gizmo just before we drafted Marcel Dareus predicted an "increased likelihood of collisions" and the "detection of very rare outcomes." Ask John Beck now (after the first shutout of Shanahan's career as head coach or OC), or Brady and Sanchez after the season, if the super-geeks got it right.

Just my 2 lira.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

That comes off as pretty lame, although I'm sure you don't intend it to. It sounds like you have so little faith in our ability to win the division, or to beat the Pats in the rematch, that you have to grasp at chop stix to shout "WE'RE NUMBER ONE!" from now until Sunday.

I think the real reason you're ticked off is because, deep down in places you don't like to talk about, you don't really think the Bills can hang with the Pats in the division race, and if you don't grasp at the technicality of the tiebreaker rules to claim superiority, the opportunity will pass you by.

Have more faith Bills Nation! Quantum physics are on our side this year:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/135378-got-a-weird-feeling/page__st__40__p__2258408__hl__%2Blarge+%2Bhadron__fromsearch__1#entry2258408

The super-geek physicists who turned the power all the way up on the Large Hadron Super Collider gizmo just before we drafted Marcel Dareus predicted an "increased likelihood of collisions" and the "detection of very rare outcomes." Ask John Beck now (after the first shutout of Shanahan's career as head coach or OC), or Brady and Sanchez after the season, if the super-geeks got it right.

Just my 2 lira.

Firstly, I'm not "ticked."

Soccer games end in a tie. Because when it's over, unless it's a championship match, there ARE NO TIEBREAKERS. In any scenario where tiebreakers exist, the concept of a "tie" can no longer. And in this case, we hold a clear and indisputable superiority over The Patriots* having beaten them in week 3. Why people are arguing against this concept--especially when it also entails leveling the playing field by downgrading the Bills to favor the Pats*--baffles me to no end. I am not, however, "ticked."

But, to my second point: My dubious feelings wrt our next game against New England do not exist in a shameful place. I'll come right out and say it: I think we'll lose to the Patriots in Week 17. I think if we had to play the Patriots 10 times over the course of a season, we'd lose nine of those games.

I also have VERY low confidence in this week's match against NYJ. 1.) because they're coming off a bye 2.) because we just don't seem to match up right against them and 3.) they absolutely manhandled us last year unlike any other team we faced (except the eventual SB champion Packers).

So, assumptions about what I'm comfortable admitting to myself or others, I think we're going to have a HELL of a time winning our division outright. And that's why I'm stoked TODAY to say that the Bills are no. 1 in the AFCE. That's a fact that is indisputable, not prone to conjecture, requires nothing in the ways of insight or prediction, it's just the way things are. And I'm very, very happy to say that.

Also, and this bears repeating, though I wasn't the first person in this thread to make the point: tiebreakers in week 8 are relevant, assuming we're trying to lift the same guy off waiver wires as The Pats*.

Firstly, I'm not "ticked."

Soccer games end in a tie. Because when it's over, unless it's a championship match, there ARE NO TIEBREAKERS.

Also, and this bears repeating, though I wasn't the first person in this thread to make the point: tiebreakers in week 8 are relevant, assuming we're trying to lift the same guy off waiver wires as The Pats*.

Firstly, (Firstly?) don't let facts get in the way of a good argument:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/georgina_turner/06/16/fifa.regulations/index.html

BTW, even today, NFL playoff games can't end in a tie, but regular season games can. I guess you and Donovan McNabb missed the memo.

Second, and more importantly, act like we've been there before, because we have. Do you really think that the Pats or any of their fans are gloating and thinking they have a tactical advantage right now because they can beat us to scrubs on the waiver wire that have been cut by other teams? And if some player with talent does get released by another team in week 8, what makes you think ANY team with a 5-2 record has a realistic chance at getting him off waivers?

I know it's been awhile, but you need to start getting used to the idea that we are 5-2 because we are GOOD.

Just my 2 rupees.

Firstly, (Firstly?) don't let facts get in the way of a good argument:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/georgina_turner/06/16/fifa.regulations/index.html

BTW, even today, NFL playoff games can't end in a tie, but regular season games can. I guess you and Donovan McNabb missed the memo.

Second, and more importantly, act like we've been there before, because we have. Do you really think that the Pats or any of their fans are gloating and thinking they have a tactical advantage right now because they can beat us to scrubs on the waiver wire that have been cut by other teams? And if some player with talent does get released by another team in week 8, what makes you think ANY team with a 5-2 record has a realistic chance at getting him off waivers?

I know it's been awhile, but you need to start getting used to the idea that we are 5-2 because we are GOOD.

Just my 2 rupees.

Soccer games.

NFL standings.

Get your wires straight, homeboy.

Now, who would win in a fight, the Matrix or the Terminators?

Hmmmm.... I would think the Matrix, if they can get into the Terminators programming. Terminators programming is simple, kill anything that moves. Matrix programming is kill anything that moves, while screwing with your head so much that even after three movies, you're still not sure what is going on.

Hmmmm.... I would think the Matrix, if they can get into the Terminators programming. Terminators programming is simple, kill anything that moves. Matrix programming is kill anything that moves, while screwing with your head so much that even after three movies, you're still not sure what is going on.

Wait, so did you actually see all three movies?

Knit pickers! Go back to knitting. We are first because it makes me feel good and thats all that counts. Feel Good?? Feels good doesn't it. Bragging rights for a week. Go Bills.

If you have to dream stuff up to make you feel good, get a Hustler magazine and a bottle of vaseline.