So I bought a ticket for this Sunday's game in Toronto

If I didn't live 600 miles from Toronto I'd be there. I'm already going to the Jets and Titans games and keeping January open for the playoffs.

PTR

Same distance for me approximately coming from 'Joisey. I went to the Opener and the Eagle game already and MAY try to come up for the Titans game if the Bills are still

in the hunt.

Playoffs???? purrrrrrr :thumbsup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God get over it. I have. I'd take all the whining more seriously if we didn't have 3 home games NOT sold out still. Would this game even be sold out if it were at RWS this weekend? Didn't it just snow?

PTR

It also makes my season tickets more affordable and feasible with one, and sometimes 2 with the preseason, games taken out of the package.

The issue with Tailgating has nothing to do with Rogers, Ralph, the NFL, or Toronto vs Buffalo. It has to do with the fact that in Canada thereare laws against having open alcohol in public and regulations against being able to have or serve alcohol. Thats why they have to have special "Budweiser Tailgate Zones" and parties around the stadium, legal liscenced areas for drinking. They can't let everyone have their own parties in the lots with alcohol like in Buffalo, and pretty soon, it looks like the NFL is going to be making changes to make all stadiums have sponsored tailgate parties instead of letting everyone have their own in the lots because they can control the drunken rowdiness that have been causing more and more issues at stadiums. i wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now, you won't be permitted to have your own tailgate party in stadium lots anymore

The issue with Tailgating has nothing to do with Rogers, Ralph, the NFL, or Toronto vs Buffalo. It has to do with the fact that in Canada thereare laws against having open alcohol in public and regulations against being able to have or serve alcohol. Thats why they have to have special "Budweiser Tailgate Zones" and parties around the stadium, legal liscenced areas for drinking. They can't let everyone have their own parties in the lots with alcohol like in Buffalo, and pretty soon, it looks like the NFL is going to be making changes to make all stadiums have sponsored tailgate parties instead of letting everyone have their own in the lots because they can control the drunken rowdiness that have been causing more and more issues at stadiums. i wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now, you won't be permitted to have your own tailgate party in stadium lots anymore

Do you know what the law is in Orchard Park, NY? I grew up in Williamsville, and open containers was illegal except on your personal property (your own Home). I am noit sure if it has ever been legal in Rich Stadium (Ralph) parking lots.

Tailgating - and the NFL knows this - is a big reason people come to the games. The Commissioner even mentioned it in one of his press conferences talking about how having filled stadiums was an important part of the "show" that the NFL provides. I totally agree with him - watching on TV is enhanced by a full stadium with rabid fans. Watching Dolphin games where they never seem to sell out is not as fun as watching, say, the Chiefs play the Bills in Arrowhead.

My (longwinded) point is that the NFL is supportive of tailgating as part of the way they make money on their product. We fans certainly support it. One of the great things about this country is that LAWS are sometimes used as guidelines (like when a cop doesn't give you a ticket but, instead, gives you a warning). I have viewed the Open Container laws as guidelines to enforce when abused (like drinking on beaches or in parks OR AT TAILGATES).

So, your "no more tailgating" end-of-the-world scenario MAY happen but the NFL knows that Tailgating is of value....they just have to decide what's optimal (so they make the most money). I think enforcement of "A-holes" (drunk,beligerent, etc etc) has been the growing official (non official) policy. I think it makes sense.

-RnJ

The interesting thing about this to me is the organized tailgate party. I think this is what the Bills are working towards with their new parking restrictions and traffic patterns. Within a few years, I expect tailgating to be eliminated in all lots except for Bills sponsored (and admission charged) tailgating sections around the stadium.

Good post and fair points. I don't want the Bills playing games in Toronto either, but they are. I just bought 2 decent seats and 1 night in a hotel (walking distance to the game) for $199.00 plus taxes total. I'm taking my 6 year old son and I am pumped for the game. Is it the same as RWS? Not even close, but I am going to cheer my ass off and watch the Bills get win #5. :thumbsup:

GO BILLS!

:thumbsup:

Do you know what the law is in Orchard Park, NY? I grew up in Williamsville, and open containers was illegal except on your personal property (your own Home). I am noit sure if it has ever been legal in Rich Stadium (Ralph) parking lots.

Tailgating - and the NFL knows this - is a big reason people come to the games. The Commissioner even mentioned it in one of his press conferences talking about how having filled stadiums was an important part of the "show" that the NFL provides. I totally agree with him - watching on TV is enhanced by a full stadium with rabid fans. Watching Dolphin games where they never seem to sell out is not as fun as watching, say, the Chiefs play the Bills in Arrowhead.

My (longwinded) point is that the NFL is supportive of tailgating as part of the way they make money on their product. We fans certainly support it. One of the great things about this country is that LAWS are sometimes used as guidelines (like when a cop doesn't give you a ticket but, instead, gives you a warning). I have viewed the Open Container laws as guidelines to enforce when abused (like drinking on beaches or in parks OR AT TAILGATES).

So, your "no more tailgating" end-of-the-world scenario MAY happen but the NFL knows that Tailgating is of value....they just have to decide what's optimal (so they make the most money). I think enforcement of "A-holes" (drunk,beligerent, etc etc) has been the growing official (non official) policy. I think it makes sense.

-RnJ

I'm not saying no more tailgating, just no more personal/private tailgating. They will have more of an organised tailgate party section similar to the 'Party in the Plaza' at Sabres playoff games where the team, league, and beer sponsor will put on an event like they are doing in Toronto. They have already started this with changing the lot rules for parking. This does not get rid of tailgating, because you will still be able to go out and drink and eat and party before the game.

Tailgating as we all know it now in Buffalo, Bring your own beer/alcohol and food, will be gone in stadium lots in the near future.

I guess the difference then with the open alcohol laws in Buffalo then in Ontario is that North of the Border, they are actually strictly enforced all over

I basically agree with you PTR - I do hate the loss of the Ralph atmosphere and 12-th man advantage but again some posters here simply are convinced Ralph is a money-hungry blah blah blah so any move he makes that makes money for the team is greedy yada yada. This deal with Toronto is a no brainer for a business - presale of the total gate at a hugely marked up price? Ummmmm, hmmmmmmm, yeh. I accept.

Now the huge downside is at least - IN PART - blamable on US FANS for not being willing to pay twice the cost (approximately) to drive even further than usual for the less tailgating (all drawbacks for us fans) but we still COULD attend if we wanted to (and could afford it). So far, I have consider the extra 2 hour drive but have yet to do so. So I am part of the problem.

Again I prefer to have all home games at The Ralph but I also want to keep the Bills in Buffalo and I simply do not agree with those that argue that this deal makes it more likely the Bills will move (especially north). This has been a loser for Toronto so far and big time. They have not shown that they can support a team....more the opposite. For a potential new owner - moving the Bills means losing the Toronto deal in addition to the Billion $ + other costs. I hope the Bills do not negotiate a new deal with two home games in Toronto but - if they do - I hope there can be some compromise with lower ticket prices and some more thought to tailgating.

I guess I feel like being flamed today...huh Promo?

Go Bills!

RnJ

This. I have the opportunity this year to head up there, and am excited about the team. I want to do my part to try to improve their chances at winning by improving the atmosphere in the stadium so that it's more like a home game because this year I feel like a)they have a better shot at winning and 2)winning will actually be meaningful. Am I gonna be able to do much from row 7 of section 543? I dunno, but I'm gonna try.

FINGER ELEVEN who will perform hit songs from their entire catalogue, including Paralyzer - their guitar-crunching anthem that made them a household name.

Who??

Sounds like what they call a Tuesday night at Charlie Sheen's when he treats the girls to some foreplay...

Jay, I do hope you have changed your plans to run on to the field naked waving an American flag. If you do PLEASE have The BILLS logo painted on your back.

Back... no way....if he is naked...Bills logo

needs to be on his cheeks and I don't mean

the ones on his face!!!

FINGER ELEVEN who will perform hit songs from their entire catalogue, including Paralyzer - their guitar-crunching anthem that made them a household name.

Who??

Sounds like what they call a Tuesday night at Charlie Sheen's when he treats the girls to some foreplay...

Pretty popular in Canada. Better live but here's a song.

Edited by thebug

Is that an advantage for the Bills?

At one time it was, but with all the new players not so much anymore.

It's the way football should be played. In whatever weather is outside. I don't care if it's an advantage or not, football should be played with an open roof or outside!

They are sissy-fying the game, and it has evolved to a game that relies on timing patterns and other such things that makes something as common as wind a problem. Also most fans do not want to sit in the rain all day, The NFL is all about the "fan experience" ... i.e. what makes the fans spend their money more. Get used to domes, they are the future.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Jay, I do hope you have changed your plans to run on to the field naked waving an American flag. If you do PLEASE have The BILLS logo painted on your back.

Thanks Mead. My afternoon tea is now in my keyboard. Funniest line I've seen in a while...

Go Rangers.

:rolleyes:

My $0.02 (and that's in U.S. dollars)...

I believe a large part of the apathy on the part of the Toronto fans is that the product has sucked to the point of retching over the past three years. Come on. Let's be adults and admit it. We live-and-die the Bills, we love the entire liver-hammering tailgating experience, we don't B word about the cold in late December. But there ain't been a lot of games in January of late, have there? Certainly not after the first week of January. Would YOU support this product coming to YOUR backyard? If you're answering "Yes", your nose just cracked the screen.

I'm not going to be at the game; I wish I was, and might try one in the future. But I'm going to be watching the crowd very closely on the high-def this Sunday to see how much blue-and-red are in the stands, versus maroon-and-gold. Who knows? At 4-2 (hopefully 5-2 by 7:30 P.M.), you might get a little more interest. This game could be a watershed going forward. The telling sign will be when the Bills, or the NFL (and I have NO idea who makes the call) actually give the Toronto game a match-up that is worth a damn. But that's another thread.

"Talk to you later" - The Tubes