Buddy's moves

In light of Merriman's move to IR let's look at Nix's moves:

- 2010 Draft they by pass needs on defense and QB for a reach at Spiller who has done minimal. This could have been forseen as Spiller and Bush are same RB 'scat back' that Nix and Gailey wanted so much. I have no problem saying that Spiller is a bust and was great in college but this is the pros. If you can't learn to run straight betweeen the tackles by now then there is a bigger issue here. Nix wanted Spiller to succeed so they could cut Jackson. You don't take a first round RB and not want to start him. Jackson is doing well and benching him would only cause a problem. Look for Bills to procrastinate on Jackson's contract. They will say he's 30 and wants to0 much money. Spiller to start for Bills next year while Jackson goes to another team.

- The so called QB competition when they obviously wanted to give the job to Edwards. Reason they talked about competition was to really please media and fans to make it look like they cared. Reality was they were hoping Gailey's QB magic would work on Edwards rather than looking at the tape of previous years on Edwards and seeing that he was not starter material. Bills love mediocrity and Fitz fits that mold. We'll prob lock him up for a few years. If Cam was on the board he would have been a Bill but there was no way to go wrong with out #3 pick. With the new CBA agreement structuring out rookie contracts Ralph Wilson prob got a hard on for the first time by not paying the high gauranteed money.

-Merriman was on decline in San Diego after injuries....Nix picked him up. Great move for leadership but leadership only goes so much if ur not on the field to back up the talk. The light has gone out. Point is this was a Nix decision.

-I am 50/50 if Nix gives the $ Stevie is looking for. We do need him but depends on what he's asking.

Nix as GM has made some very questionable moves and while the Bills are doing well it mostly part to Gailey's system and these players showing they belong. I love all these guys and what they stand for. Nix does not have the 'eye' for talent and has proven that....why do we have him? He's cheap, old school, and will ask daddy's permission before making any type of move. Be weary of the future.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of Merriman's move to IR let's look at Nix's moves:

- 2010 Draft they by pass needs on defense and QB for a reach at Spiller who has done minimal. This could have been forseen as Spiller and Bush are same RB 'scat back' that Nix and Gailey wanted so much. I have no problem saying that Spiller is a bust and was great in college but this is the pros. If you can't learn to run straight betweeen the tackles by now then there is a bigger issue here. Nix wanted Spiller to succeed so they could cut Jackson. You don't take a first round RB and not want to start him. Jackson is doing well and benching him would only cause a problem. Look for Bills to procrastinate on Jackson's contract. They will say he's 30 and wants to0 much money. Spiller to start for Bills next year while Jackson goes to another team.

Ok, so I'm only going to tackle your first paragraph -

1. Which WB should they have drafted?

2. Are they going to trade Fred? You realize he's still under contract next year, right?

So what you're saying is because of drafting Spiller, not knowing Fitz was the better gamer instead of a practice player, and Merriman getting hurt your not sold on Nix?

How about all the good things Nix has done? How about how Merriman was instrumental in bringing some guys into Buffalo like Barnett? The hounds are about to be released on you with this awful thread.

So what you're saying is because of drafting Spiller, not knowing Fitz was the better gamer instead of a practice player, and Merriman getting hurt your not sold on Nix?

How about all the good things Nix has done? How about how Merriman was instrumental in bringing some guys into Buffalo like Barnett? The hounds are about to be released on you with this awful thread.

chances are he will never log back in to see it anyway.

Nix as GM has made some very questionable moves and while the Bills are doing well it mostly part to Gailey's system and these players showing they belong. I love all these guys and what they stand for. Nix does not have the 'eye' for talent and has proven that....why do we have him? He's cheap, old school, and will ask daddy's permission before making any type of move. Be weary of the future.

Great thread OP. Just because Buffalo is 4-2 doesn't mean there aren't long term personnel issues that haven't been solved in Nix' 2 years as GM. Gailey has definitely covered over a lot of these talent issues and has the team playing hungry, but to win in the AFCE they need more talent at multiple positions, such as OT and OLB.

FJ is signed through 2012 and Buffalo, I believe, will eventually increase his pay. I just find it ironic that many of the major players on the roster aren't Nix draft picks or UFA signings: Fitz, FJ, Johnson, Levitre, Wood, and Byrd. Dareus has been very good and Barnett a good signing, but giving guaranteed money to a guy clearly washed up and not offered much if anything by 31 other teams should say something about Nix.

FJ is signed through 2012 and Buffalo, I believe, will eventually increase his pay. I just find it ironic that many of the major players on the roster aren't Nix draft picks or UFA signings: Fitz, FJ, Johnson, Levitre, Wood, and Byrd. Dareus has been very good and Barnett a good signing, but giving guaranteed money to a guy clearly washed up and not offered much if anything by 31 other teams should say something about Nix.

this has been the thing with nix. So far, the only thing he seems to have done right, is the Gailey hiring, which so far looks ok, but there is still a lot to prove on that one. Nix's first draft looks horrible right now, and although his 2nd looks WAY more promising, we haven't seen enough. And the other thing about Nix's 2nd draft, gailey obviously had more say in it with senior bowl players getting picked. So if this 2nd draft works out, it might be more credited to gailey than nix, to a degree.

The only FA signings he has done that I like are barnett, edwards, and davis (the guy sucks in coverage, but he was an upgrade and at least not a scrub). Though he did find a lot of nice cast offs to plug in holes.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

this has been the thing with nix. So far, the only thing he seems to have done right, is the Gailey hiring, which so far looks ok, but there is still a lot to prove on that one.

Hiring the right coach is half the battle. No Bills GM has hired a decent one since Wade was canned.

But I agree that Nix's personnel moves haven't been stellar yet.

Hiring the right coach is half the battle. No Bills GM has hired a decent one since Wade was canned.

But I agree that Nix's personnel moves haven't been stellar yet.

That is probably the reason I still like nix, even though his first draft didn't go as well as I would have liked. The gailey hiring was very questionable when is happened, and it has proved the critics wrong. hiring a good coach was probably more important than anything to start with anyways.

Great thread OP. Just because Buffalo is 4-2 doesn't mean there aren't long term personnel issues that haven't been solved in Nix' 2 years as GM. Gailey has definitely covered over a lot of these talent issues and has the team playing hungry, but to win in the AFCE they need more talent at multiple positions, such as OT and OLB.

How much guaranteed money was that?

Give Nix a break we are still developing his draft picks. Yes Spiller isn't doing so well and Troup can't stay on the field but his other picks from the 2010 draft class aren't so bad. Alex Carrington is coming along just fine Easely and Wang can't stay healthy to save their lives Author Moats is going to be a stud and Danny Batton is coming along good after missing his rookie season and I don't even count the 7th round those are just bones you throw out there and take a chance. Yes Stevie worked out but how many other Bills 7th rounders did? That is just luck.

The 2011 draft is paying big dividens...Darius is a stud, Williams looked real good before getting injured, Sheppard is going to be a stud, Searcy is going to be ok, Harriston looked great when he played, haven't seen much of the rest.

So give these draft classes a chance. Troup will never be like williams lets not forget the NT is the least glamorous position in the NFL so unless you really watch and understand football you will never know how is he doing. Most people just look at the sacks and pressure but that is not a NT's job.