Free kick for 3 points

High school team wins with little known rule.

Apparently this rule applies in the NFL as well. Right after you fair catch a punt, you have the option of a free kick field goal, with a holder or off a tee. So basically it's like a kickoff but if you get it through the goal posts its 3 points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kCBBUMnRqbo#!

It didn't work so hot for the Cards but I hope Chan keeps this one in his back pocket. I could see Lindell nailing a 60+ yarder off a tee with the RWS late season wind at his back.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i guess im slow, how is it a free kick??? do you retain possession if the kick is missed? then i can see why its a "free kick". but if you dont retain possession i dont see how its a free kick, its basically kicking a field goal on 1st and 10..

i guess im slow, how is it a free kick??? do you retain possession if the kick is missed? then i can see why its a "free kick". but if you dont retain possession i dont see how its a free kick, its basically kicking a field goal on 1st and 10..

Without a ton of knowledge on the rule, I'd guess the free part is it being your choice to kick it off the field or off a tee.

I think it's free as in without somebody trying to block it.

High school team wins with little known rule.

Apparently this rule applies in the NFL as well. Right after you fair catch a punt, you have the option of a free kick field goal, with a holder or off a tee. So basically it's like a kickoff but if you get it through the goal posts its 3 points.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kCBBUMnRqbo#!

It didn't work so hot for the Cards but I hope Chan keeps this one in his back pocket. I could see Lindell nailing a 60+ yarder off a tee with the RWS late season wind at his back.

PTR

'Zackly. We're trailing by 2 and hold the opponent on 3rd down deep in their territory. They punt into the December winds with 2 seconds to play. Bills fair catch it inside the 50. On comes Lindell with his tee..

Victory in regulation!

Without a ton of knowledge on the rule, I'd guess the free part is it being your choice to kick it off the field or off a tee.

The "free" part is that you kick with no defenders rushing you. Use a tee or a holder and take your time, run up as far as you like. Hit or miss, the other team gets the ball. In fact opposing teams often have a return man waiting just in case.

PTR

Wikipedia entry with more info on the free kick including every time it has been used in the NFL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

And more here:

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/11/23/what-in-the-world-is-a-free-kick/

Basically, the difference between a free kick and a field goal is that it has to be after a fair catch, there is no snap, the defense has to be 10 yards back of the attempt, the kicker cannot use a tee, and the team can still kick it even if time expired on the fair catch (?). If that last rule is true, it seems like you would have seen one of these used since 1968, the last time someone knocked it in successfully. Rackers didn't.

And video of Rackers trying it in 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

If this link is correct, the last time it was successfully used in the NFL was against... the Buffalo Bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

I remember seeing the Niners try one. Must have been the one in 1989 referred to on the list.

A kick like this is very improbable; it's rare that you would successfully fair catch a ball at a point on the field where you make a successful FG.

It's free because no one can rush and attempt to block, I believe even if there's no time left on the clock, but you call for a fiar catch, you can still attempt the kick. So with three seconds left, the other team punts, you call a fair catch, the clock has run out, but you can still kick it. I seen it used one time maybe 35 years ago by the Giants. (don't recall if they made the kick) Typcially would only work if the other team punts from deep in their own territory and it's not a great punt. I think the othe rteam can run it back so that's the one down side of it.

If this link is correct, the last time it was successfully used in the NFL was against... the Buffalo Bills.

http://en.wikipedia....Fair_catch_kick

Dallas Cowboys vs. Atlanta Falcons, September 20, 1999.[33]Wane McGarity fair caught a punt on the Atlanta 47 with no time left in the first half. Dallas coach Chan Gailey knew of the rule, and had specifically instructed McGarity to fair catch the punt if it was inside the 50, but Gailey forgot that he would be able to attempt the kick with no time left on the clock. Instead, the Cowboys went to the locker room.

Edited by justnzane

Dallas Cowboys vs. Atlanta Falcons, September 20, 1999.[33]Wane McGarity fair caught a punt on the Atlanta 47 with no time left in the first half. Dallas coach Chan Gailey knew of the rule, and had specifically instructed McGarity to fair catch the punt if it was inside the 50, but Gailey forgot that he would be able to attempt the kick with no time left on the clock. Instead, the Cowboys went to the locker room.

I'm betting Chan doesn't make that mistake twice.

PTR

The "free" part is that you kick with no defenders rushing you. Use a tee or a holder and take your time, run up as far as you like. Hit or miss, the other team gets the ball. In fact opposing teams often have a return man waiting just in case.

PTR

You can't use a Tee for a Free Kick in the NFL or College or you would see it much more often. Especially as I've seen many kicks through the uprights off a tee this year, since the kickoff was moved up 5 yards.

Basically you need a perfect storm of less than 20 seconds no tiemouts and a short punt from behind the 10.

Otherwise it makes more sense to take a couple offensive plays and see if you can get a TD.

If you could use a tee, that would change the storm a LOT.

Technically, I think a "free kick" is one where either team can recover it after it goes 10 yards - - i.e., after 10 yards, either team is free to grab it and try to advance it, resulting in offensive possession for the next play from scrimmage.

In any event, the official 2010 NFL rulebook describes a "fair catch kick" as a type of field goal, and specifically states that it is not a "free kick." See Rule 11, Section 4, article 3 near the bottom of page 72 here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_uI2zLhGzaRMWMyZjkzYjUtZjRiYy00MTU5LWE5OWQtMjc1ZDEzNTFlM2E4&hl=en_US

Among other things, it states:

"Note: A fair-catch kick is not a free kick. The kicking team cannot get the ball unless it has first been touched or possessed by the receivers."
Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead