The Carson Palmer Debacle Begins

He looked like ass today, but didn't have any other expectations. Still baffled about this trade especially if they expected to "win" this year. I bet all the Raiders fans gasped when he was hit low at the knees in his first series. His arm strength isn't up to par either.

Campbell showed he is a difference maker with that team especially with Boller in there. Well, either way it didn't look good for the Raiders. The raiders are making a huge mistake with Campbell because with the CP trade and what they gave up, you have to make him your guy to legitimize that trade for the next few years. Good luck Raider nation. :nana:

Raiders fans should be pissed that Campbell's injury didn't happen a week later, i.e. after the trade deadline. It was a stupid trade no matter how you look at it. But I guess the good thing is that the Raiders won't have to give up a 2nd first rounder, because they ain't making the playoffs, much less winning a playoff game (the determining factor in going from a 2nd to a 1st).

Watched football with the wife today and she is a raiders fan.....

She wanted to see the shiny new toy....I told her that was a VERY bad idea and when Boller was sucking it up I told her she was just gonna have to live with it for a week because no team in their right mind is gonna put a QB in that hasnt even had a training camp and missed 5 games....and the smart play was to to wait till after the bye week.

But..of course the raiders are not a smart team but she almost broke my new big screen out of frustration! When Palmer started limping after that first series I was like "yep.....thats what they get"

Hard to get on a guy who hasn't played ball in a year and is in a new offense. Didn't help that he came in when they were down by 21 and McFadden was out either. That being said, I don't like the trade. It will end badly which is great because they have some serious talent.

Let me point out something here, remember when Payton Manning was injured and missed the entire pre season awhile back? It took him about 5 games before he was able to get his timing back with his receiver corps and start tearing it up again. I suspect it will take about that same amount of time before Palmer will truly feel comfortable out there.

Personally I don't blame Palmer for wanting out of criminal central, Palmer is a classy guy and that Bengal org is about the worst in the NFL when it comes to low character players. How many times can you look the other way before it starts to get to you. Also, Palmer took a big pay cut to play for the Raiders.

That Raider team can be scary good with that set of ultra fast receivers, and DMF running the ball. If Palmer can get back to his pre injury form that Raider team could be competing for a playoff spot for sure.

Trade doesn't look very good at all tonight, but I can't blame the Raiders for trying to upgrade at QB. Jason Campbell is still trash, a chump and a loser... he most likely would've been gone this off-season even without the injury.

Dumb trade they gave up way too much. Giving up a 1st alone makes it stupid, giving up a 1st plus another 2nd is worse. It was the Al Davis Memorial stupid trade.

But I can't crush Palmer on this 1st game. He was given what 5 days to prepare? And put into a game in which the team was losing. I will judge this team on what they do after the bye. Give them a few weeks before you can the Raiders season.

. Jason Campbell is still trash, a chump and a loser... he most likely would've been gone this off-season even without the injury.

I think he was playing better than ever this year, and I don't think there was anyway he would be off the team this offseason. Now with this trade, I wonder where he ends up...

He's no star, but trash/chump/loser seem pretty extreme.

Look, Carson Palmer is a better QB than Jason Campbell every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cliches aside, what did you expect to happen in his first start with a new team following 3 days of practice and not having played since last year? You don't think he's going to get better? I don't understand that. He did make some very impressive throws at times.

Dumb trade they gave up way too much. Giving up a 1st alone makes it stupid, giving up a 1st plus another 2nd is worse. It was the Al Davis Memorial stupid trade.

But I can't crush Palmer on this 1st game. He was given what 5 days to prepare? And put into a game in which the team was losing. I will judge this team on what they do after the bye. Give them a few weeks before you can the Raiders season.

Every team in the league who lacks a franchise QB would give up a first rounder for Carson Palmer. The difference is the Raiders were desperate, so they had to pay the price of desperation.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

No.

It's really mind-boggling to me that MILLIONS of dollars are at stake and such desperate, silly decisions are made all the time in the NFL. I don't know if CP will eventually work out, but it seems a bit of a long shot. By the time Palmer gets it together (if he does) they will likely be out of the running this season. He has been steadily declining, and I doubt he has his best seasons ahead of him.

By pre injury form, do you mean 2005?

Sat out his first year in 03

started his second year in 04 13 GS

In 05 took the Bengals to an 11-5 record where he severely injured his knee on his first play in their playoff game while throwing a 66 yard pass. He made the pro bowl 16 GS

In 06 he made the pro bowl 16 GS

in 07 Palmer finished the season with 376 completions for 4,131 yards and 26 touchdowns, with 20 interceptions. His 20 interceptions were a career high, but his 376 completions and 4,131 passing yards set new Bengals franchise records. 16 GS

in 08 from the start of the season Palmer was injured and the cause was Palmer's sore elbow, it was diagnosed as a partially torn ligament and tendon. He was shelved for the remainder of the season. Palmer elected not to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair the damage; instead, he chose to rest the elbow to allow it to heal 4 GS

His arm was what I was referring to, specifically his elbow....not his knee. Like I stated eariler, Palmer took almost a 5 million a year pay cut to get out of Cincy...and there was a reason. There was a reason Chad Ochocinco (Johnson) wanted out of Cincy for the last 5 years

NFN, but look how Fitz performed on that crappy Cincy team when Palmer was injured.

Edited by Fear the Beard

I think he was playing better than ever this year, and I don't think there was anyway he would be off the team this offseason. Now with this trade, I wonder where he ends up...

He's no star, but trash/chump/loser seem pretty extreme.

"Ignorant" is the word that comes to my mind. As a descriptive for calling Campbell trash, chump, or loser, not as a descriptive for Campbell.

Look, he had the Raiders at 4-2, he'd thrown for almost 1200 yds in 6 games - this on a team noted for its running game. LIfetime, he runs mid-80s in QB rating with low INTs and >7 YPA. Those numbers ain't "chump change". This year pre-injury, he was what he'd always been - a very competent QB who makes relatively few mistakes and can make all the throws. In case we don't recall, teams were daring the Raiders to beat them passing, and Campbell was taking the dare.

The Raiders should be happy if CP is able to do as well.

There are a number of NFL teams that should regard Campbell as an upgrade at QB in the right system. I felt the Raiders had gotten a steal in the Campbell trade. He was a solid, competent signal caller for them who seemed as though he was building some chemistry.

I don't feel so good for them about the CP trade. I'd like to know how our Raider fan guests feel about it.

Let me point out something here, remember when Payton Manning was injured and missed the entire pre season awhile back? It took him about 5 games before he was able to get his timing back with his receiver corps and start tearing it up again. I suspect it will take about that same amount of time before Palmer will truly feel comfortable out there.

Yep, and that was Manning (who Palmer was nowhere near to, much less now) and who at least was familiar with his receivers. Assuming it takes another 4 games to get comfortable and they lose half of those, they're pretty much out of the race.

By pre injury form, do you mean 2005?

:lol:

Every team in the league who lacks a franchise QB would give up a first rounder for Carson Palmer. The difference is the Raiders were desperate, so they had to pay the price of desperation.

Doubtful at best. The last part is correct: the Raiders were desperate, and when you're desperate, you more often times than not you take silly chances.