Favorite Movie Composers

CosmicBills

Alright, I realize I'm on a whole other level when it comes to movie nerddom, but am I the only one who loves a good movie sound track? The right score can either make or break a movie or TV show. There was a conversation at work today about favorite composers and I mentioned how I think Michael Giacchino has taken over John William's place in my list of all time favorites -- this launched an epic nerd debate.

To that end, I was curious if anyone out there has favorite movie composers or scores? Or is this such a small niche that no one else really notices or cares?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two great selections right out of the box!

I need to get some of both! Damn, I feel ashamed for not having much of either. I'm such a huge nerd about this I think I own as much soundtrack music as I do more normal stuff. I listen to them while I work a lot.

I'll throw out a vote for Clint Eastwood. The music from Gran Torino, particularly as the credits were rolling, was very impressive and memorable. And of course I'd have to go with John Williams...I don't know how anyone could touch this guy, save for maybe Randy Newman.

EDIT: Whoever did the score for Gladiator gets a huge nod of approval in my book, too...that was some amazing music!

Edited by ajzepp

I'll throw out a vote for Clint Eastwood. The music from Gran Torino, particularly as the credits were rolling, was very impressive and memorable. And of course I'd have to go with John Williams...I don't know how anyone could touch this guy, save for maybe Randy Newman.

EDIT: Whoever did the score for Gladiator gets a huge nod of approval in my book, too...that was some amazing music!

That would be Hans Zimmer for Gladiator. He's a genius. His protigee Steve Jablonsky (TRANSFORMERS) is pretty good too.

Williams is clearly one of the best ever, but I really think Giacchino is going to end up giving him a run for his money by the time his career is 40 years in. His score for UP, STAR TREK, RATATOUILLE (not to mention LOST) alone can rival any of Williams' early stuff. He needs his Indy, Star Wars and Jurrasic Park of course, but I'm confident he'll be around long enough to get his chances.

1) I love James Newton Howard (especially for his M. Night soundtracks like Unbreakable and Signs).

2) I'm also a sucker for the classic composers, like Bernard Hermann (who did many of Hitchcock's movies), and Maurice Jarre (who did Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago).

3) Thomas Newman deserves to be on a list of great composers, if only for Shawshank Redemption.

4) Personal favorite is Bill Conti for his Karate Kid score.

(By the way, I'm not a huge John Williams fan. I've played a lot of his music in pops orchestras, and his scores sound the same to me--one possible exception--Jarassic Park has some remarkably beautfiul parts).

That would be Hans Zimmer for Gladiator. He's a genius. His protigee Steve Jablonsky (TRANSFORMERS) is pretty good too.

Williams is clearly one of the best ever, but I really think Giacchino is going to end up giving him a run for his money by the time his career is 40 years in. His score for UP, STAR TREK, RATATOUILLE (not to mention LOST) alone can rival any of Williams' early stuff. He needs his Indy, Star Wars and Jurrasic Park of course, but I'm confident he'll be around long enough to get his chances.

I'll have to pay more attention to that Giacchino guy then, cause I actually remember commenting to a friend of mine on the score for Up when we were watching it. I remember liking Ratatouille quite a bit, but I'll have to go back and listen to the music again...same with Star Trek.

I had no idea Zimmer did the Gladiator music...I have that CD and it's amazing to listen to on a good system. It transcends the movie and seems to promote some really deep thought. I can just sit there and put it on, and I get lost in my own brain for the next hour or so. Come to think of it, there wasn't much about that film that wasn't really damn good. Gladiator is probably one of my top ten or fifteen films of all time...good stuff.

Alright, I realize I'm on a whole other level when it comes to movie nerddom, but am I the only one who loves a good movie sound track? The right score can either make or break a movie or TV show. There was a conversation at work today about favorite composers and I mentioned how I think Michael Giacchino has taken over John William's place in my list of all time favorites -- this launched an epic nerd debate.

To that end, I was curious if anyone out there has favorite movie composers or scores? Or is this such a small niche that no one else really notices or cares?

As a movie lover I also love a good movie score, so I wouldn't call it nerdy, but probably geeky.

John Williams

Jaws: Not just for the obvious shark theme. The entire soundtrack is very good.

Star Wars: I grew up on this movie, so I grew up with the music too.

Superman: Just for the opening theme alone.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Another gem, the music is just right for this movie.

Jurassic Park: The right music for a dinosaur flick.

Schindler's List: Haunting, tragic and also hopeful.

Hans Zimmer

Crimson Tide: The music is just right for the edgy and intense moments.

Gladiator: Had the right tone for an historical epic.

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight: Excellent gritty feel and yet heroic as well.

Danny Elfman

Batman: The opening theme is just excellent, it just yells at you, "THIS IS BATMAN!"

Edward Scissorhands: Just the right touch that adds magic to this story.

Men In Black: Has that somewhat goofy edge that fits right in.

Howard Shore

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Outstanding score for a trilogy of fantasy films.

Se7en: Very edgy and eerie, especially the opening credits.

Michael Giacchino

The Incredibles: How this score did not win an Oscar is beyond me. The retro feel is just perfect for this superhero story.

Up: Memorable music for a memorable film.

I'm sure I can name more, but I better stop, for now.

Edited by Mark Vader

Cliff Martinez just did a terrific job with Drive. Ennio Morricone, of course. Ipecac Records (the label run by Mike Patton from Faith No More) put out a great compilation of his more obscure work called Crime and Dissonance. Highly recommended. The soundtrack to Vampyros Lesbos is pretty great too. It's done by a couple German cats whose name I can't remember. It's on a label called Crippled Dick Hot Wax! who have put out a lot of great soundtracks to obscure trash films. I've also always enjoyed Carter Burwell, Fargo in particular. Being a general John Carpenter fanatic has made me a huge fan of his work. Philip Glass and the Kronos Quartet released a score for Tod Browning's Dracula a few years back that is tremendous. Johnny Greenwood knocked it out of the park with There Will Be Blood (but then everyone involved with There Will Be Blood knocked it out of the park) As for my favorites? Cliche, but I have to say Goblin's work on Deep Red, Suspiria and Dawn of the Dead will always be my go to soundtracks.

I have a least favorite as well: James Horner. whenever I see his name on the credits I'm filled with dread. His scores are always overbearing and obnoxious.

youtube

Hysterical, spot-on spoof of Newman - actually not all unlike a lot of his non-movie tunes and even his academy award stuff for the Toy Story movies - but I was thinking more the of his grander soundtrack musical scores from movies like The Natural, Ragtime, Avalon, Pleasantville, Awakenings, Seabiscuit, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY0UEdHtHvs

As a movie lover I also love a good movie score, so I wouldn't call it nerdy, but probably geeky.

John Williams

Jaws: Not just for the obvious shark theme. The entire soundtrack is very good.

Star Wars: I grew up on this movie, so I grew up with the music too.

Superman: Just for the opening theme alone.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Another gem, the music is just right for this movie.

Jurassic Park: The right music for a dinosaur flick.

Schindler's List: Haunting, tragic and also hopeful.

You forgot Close Encounters. Williams would have won one the Oscar for that score if he wasn't beat out by...himself, for Star Wars.

Personally, I think he won for the wrong movie.