All Time Underappreciated Bills

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add Reuben Brown. Solid lineman for many years. I want to do that cross country ride with him one of these years.

Hard to say a guy with that many Pro Bowls was underappreaciated...

Some guys I'd add to the list:

Jay Riemersma

Glenn Parker

Marvcus Patton

Joe Devlin

Steve Freeman

Edited by Lurker

8. Derrick Burroughs. He was really, really good. Better CB than Nate Odomes. Always thought we would have won Super Bowl XXV if he hadn't suffered career ended injury in 1989.

Always thought we might have won Super Bowl XXIII, or at least played in it, if he hadn't punched Tim McGee in the AFC Championship Game in '88. Although that phantom facemask against Bruce probably had more to do with it.

Tom Cousineau (sp?) belongs here also as without his trade the greatest era of the Bills may never have gotten off the ground

Let's not forget that the trade that REALLY got the greatest era off the ground was the one that sent OJ to San Francisco in 1978. That's the one that netted us the pick we used on Cousineau in 1979, whose rights we traded to Cleveland in 1983 for the pick we used on Jim Kelly.

Edited by BuffaloBill

I cheated & looked at the all-time roster, but here are 10 of my favs:

1. Curtis Brown - maybe not starting material, but a solid back-up

2. Ryan Denney - never should've been a 2nd-round pick, but still better than Kelsay.

3. Dwight "Ike" Harrison - long before George Wilson, he made the move from WR to DB, not too bad a player.

4. Clifford Hicks - great waiver wire pick-up, I always liked his game.

5. Mike Mosley - too bad he couldn't stay healthy, pretty damn fast for a white boy as I remember

6. Ross Tucker - another player that got hurt, I thought he was pretty sold, glad he's made such a name for himself.

7. Chris Watson - yeah he ended up beyond brutal, but he had one nice season and earned a contract extension.

8.. Donald Wilson - just as bad as Watson, but dude could hit!

9. Leon Joe - just too :censored: bad-ass for the game.

10. Lauvale Sape - no list would be complete without the Sape-ster

Mario Clark! Biggest hitter we've ever had in the secondary. Lifting mercury Morris over his head and body slamming him = priceless

25 picks by age of 27.

Got a ring after being traded to 9'ers

I don't remember him hitting harder than Antoine Winfield. Did he really?

I cheated & looked at the all-time roster, but here are 10 of my favs:

1. Curtis Brown - maybe not starting material, but a solid back-up

2. Ryan Denney - never should've been a 2nd-round pick, but still better than Kelsay.

3. Dwight "Ike" Harrison - long before George Wilson, he made the move from WR to DB, not too bad a player.

4. Clifford Hicks - great waiver wire pick-up, I always liked his game.

5. Mike Mosley - too bad he couldn't stay healthy, pretty damn fast for a white boy as I remember

6. Ross Tucker - another player that got hurt, I thought he was pretty sold, glad he's made such a name for himself.

7. Chris Watson - yeah he ended up beyond brutal, but he had one nice season and earned a contract extension.

8.. Donald Wilson - just as bad as Watson, but dude could hit!

9. Leon Joe - just too :censored: bad-ass for the game.

10. Lauvale Sape - no list would be complete without the Sape-ster

Mosley was the fastest white man I have ever seen on a football field w possible exception of Lance Alworth.-He was faster than Beebe for sure and faster than that little guy who played for The St Louis Rams(forget his name).-As you say too bad he wrecked his knees.

I remember him running under a few passes that were freakishly overthrown ala Alworth. aah what could have been.

Back in the day, I think Joe D was underappreciated, at least his first few years. Reggie McKenzie got a lot more attention, just a great pulling guard & OJ's main man.

Yup, I was going to disagree with whoever said Reggie.

Scott Norwood.

The guy carried the Bills and won so many games. Even after Wide Right, he bounced back the following year and made some big kicks in the playoffs. The national media disparaged him forever--and even if wrong, that's somewhat understandable. What's embarrassing is how Bills fans forget all he did, for just one moment (and not to harp on it, but I will--the 47 yarder wasn't even all his fault: on the border of his range, and on grass. The Bills should have ran one more play, a quick out).

PS Derrick Burroughs was awesome. Definitely the man and unfortunately, a career cut short.

Edited by ozone

Scott Norwood.

The guy carried the Bills and won so many games. Even after Wide Right, he bounced back the following year and made some big kicks in the playoffs. The national media disparaged him forever--and even if wrong, that's somewhat understandable. What's embarrassing is how Bills fans forget all he did, for just one moment (and not to harp on it, but I will--the 47 yarder wasn't even all his fault: on the border of his range, and on grass. The Bills should have ran one more play, a quick out).

PS Derrick Burroughs was awesome. Definitely the man and unfortunately, a career cut short.

Totally agreed. Norwood gets such a bum rap it's ridiculous. He really was a very clutch kicker.

Totally agreed. Norwood gets such a bum rap it's ridiculous. He really was a very clutch kicker.

:thumbsup: Agreed. When the Bills "got good" from 1988-1990, I would hazard a guess that Norwoods' leg won the Bills a good 8 or 9 games. That kick in Super Bowl 25 was not a chip shot, like some presume. He wasn't never known for having an extra strong leg, but a very accurate one. Anything outside of 45 yards was outside his "automatic" zone.

:thumbsup: Agreed. When the Bills "got good" from 1988-1990, I would hazard a guess that Norwoods' leg won the Bills a good 8 or 9 games. That kick in Super Bowl 25 was not a chip shot, like some presume. He wasn't never known for having an extra strong leg, but a very accurate one. Anything outside of 45 yards was outside his "automatic" zone.

Yeah, I was at the game in Foxboro in '88 when he won it on a last second field goal - taking us to 3-0. Then, I think he beat them again later that year, and definitely that Jets game to clinch the division.

Plus, I remember in the horrible '85 season, he started the season (and for all I know ended it) with a very long streak of not missing a field goal (back when percentages were much lower).

Spot on with your choices. Ted Washington was the key to that defense and never got enough credit.

Never got the impression that Ted was underapreciated but maybe thats because he was my favorite player on the team at the time. I was more than pissed when "my defense is better than yours" Gregg Williams released but it was good to see him win a title with the pats. He should also go into the hall of fame as he was the greatest NT of all time.

My no respect player was another NT in Fred Smerlas as it always seemed we were trying to bring in his replacement and he kept beating them out.

as it sits today....the word is underappreciated, not unsung.

#1- Fred Jackson...PAY THE MAN !!

#2- Doug Flutie.....that whole Rob Johnson thing is still maddening.

#3- Rueben Brown....should be on wall of fame.

#4- Pat Williams.....should have paid the man.

#5- Antoine Winfield.....should of kept him.

Bob James!!! A great CB whose career was cut short by injury.

James is on the Wall, which is tons of credit for someone who played just a few years. He gets more than enough appreciation just being on the Wall.

Conerbacks Butch Byrd, Mario Clark and Nate Odomes had longer careers and mush less appreciation.

Joe Devlin (OT/OG), Paul Costa (TE/OT)and Jim Dunaway (DT) are players that fit the underappreciated mold.