Kent Hull Passed Away

Hull funeral scheduled for Friday

The funeral for Kent Hull is scheduled for Friday at First Presbyterian Church in Greenwood, according to a family friend.

The former Mississippi State and Buffalo Bills center died at his home Tuesday at the age of 50. Leflore County coroner Will Gnemi ruled that Hull died from gastrointestinal bleeding just before 5 p.m., according to the Associated Press.

Visitation is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. on Friday before the funeral at 2 p.m. The family has asked that memorial contributions be directed to the Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children in Jackson and/or the First Presbyterian Church in Greenwood.

Greenwood is about 20 hours from Syracuse. Who's up for a road trip?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom, who passed away last year, always would remind me which athletes she thougth had the most charactor. She could look past the money, and the wins and losses and she just said it like it was. She absolutely loved Kent.

A sad day indeed.

Thats a good memory to share. God bless your mom and Kent.

On my my way home from work today I was listening to WGR and Thurman was on there and he was having a tough time and was choking up and crying and I even got alittle misty-eyed. This is very tough because it is the first loss in this Bills family, I even feel like I lost an extended family member :cry:

On my my way home from work today I was listening to WGR and Thurman was on there and he was having a tough time and was choking up and crying and I even got alittle misty-eyed. This is very tough because it is the first loss in this Bills family, I even feel like I lost an extended family member :cry:

Losing Kent - very sad. I've been on youtube tonight looking at old Bills clips and other related videos. Brings back a lot of memories.

PS - We lost Mitch Frerotte back in '08, but he wasn't part of the inner circle.

1st of the mainstays, for sure.

Interesting perspective. I'm old enough -OK,just old.. and remember well the community shock upon learning Tom Sestak had died so young and unexpected. Tom was the BRUUUUUCE of his day, who's career was cut short due to injury. Unlike Kent, he chose to make WNY is home, entering business ventures with Macguire & others. His death left a looong lasting pall over the region and the teams of the 60's all returned to WNY for his funeral.

Looking back, it likely was the fact he was the 1st loss from that era (John Tracey died soon after) that struck such a cord and has left such a lasting impression of what could have been and gone too soon.

BTW. I didn't realize this until now, Kent's 1st name is James. James Hull?.. Just doesn't have manly ring to it like KENT HULL

Rest in Peace, #67, #70, #15. #81 and all fallen Bills

I'm not a Dr but could the 34 years of chewing tabacco possibly be the reason he was taken so young. Everytime I saw those young men with a chew I'd ask them to give it up. Kent and Chris Mohr always had the biggest dip in their mouths. Just a reminder to any of you young or old Bills Fans please give it up. I might still have my husband if he didn't use snuff. I'll get off my soap box now.

Jack if you are taking the road trip I would gladly go to the funeral. I just would not do it alone. oooppps nix that. Crazy Mary has surgery tomorrow. Prayers to all.

hey go on E-bay and type in Kent Hull Buffalo Bills. They jacked up the prices on all his autographed stuff. It's a cold, cruel world out there. Everyone out for the quick buck. :(

RIP Mr Hull

After 9/11 I posted some drivel here and a freind of a freind who is a teacher from Missisippi read it to her class two days after 9/11. Kents son Drew was in that class and asked the teacher if she knew who the writer was. The kid told his dad about a Bills fan and Kent took it upon himself to get my information from the teacher. A few weeks later a large envelope arrived in the mail. It was a personal letter about the 9/11 and some encouraging words about the state of the Bills (they were pretty bad back then), he also included a few of his signed trading cards and an 8x10 signed. The guy was just a class act all the way around.

A damn shame. Rest in Peace, big guy.

RIP Mr Hull

After 9/11 I posted some drivel here and a freind of a freind who is a teacher from Missisippi read it to her class two days after 9/11. Kents son Drew was in that class and asked the teacher if she knew who the writer was. The kid told his dad about a Bills fan and Kent took it upon himself to get my information from the teacher. A few weeks later a large envelope arrived in the mail. It was a personal letter about the 9/11 and some encouraging words about the state of the Bills (they were pretty bad back then), he also included a few of his signed trading cards and an 8x10 signed. The guy was just a class act all the way around.

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you've done something like it, but I would totally frame that letter and the 8x10 side by side and keep them in a special place forever. That's heirloom type stuff right there.

Edited by jimmyo

The Greenwood Commonwealth is a pay subscription web site, so forgive me for posting the entire articles.

‘Sure going to miss him’

Greenwood Commonwealth, The (MS) - Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Author: BILL BURRUS

Sports Editor

KentHull was a standout football player in high school, college and the NFL.

He is well-known for his four years as the starting center for Mississippi State and later as a Pro Bowl performer who played in four Super Bowls with the Buffalo Bills.

But Mr. Hull , who died Tuesday at 50, will be remembered by those who knew him best for so much more.

They remember a gentle giant who was giving, was a great friend and was a loving father and husband.

Mr. Hull held a celebrity golf tournament each year to raise money for the Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. His former MSU teammate and longtime friend John Bond always played in the event and even visited sick children with Mr. Hull at the hospital several times.

“He cared so much about helping those kids and trying to brighten their day. He would always get emotional, and then I would start crying, too,” said Bond, who took snaps from Mr. Hull at MSU from 1980 to 1982. “ Kent was a hell of a guy. He was always there when I needed him, and I can’t believe he is gone.”

Mr. Hull , who had just watched his son, Drew, get married on Oct. 8, died from a ruptured esophageal varices, according to his pastor, Dr. Rusty Douglas of First Presbyterian Church of Greenwood. Mr. Hull is survived also by his wife, Kay, and daughter, Ellen.

Funeral services for Mr. Hull will be at 2 p.m. Friday at First Presbyterian Church.

Visitation will be from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. at First Presbyterian's Shuler Hall.

Burial will be in Odd Fellows Cemetery.

As the head trainer at MSU during Mr. Hull’s playing days, Straton Karatassos and the standout center developed a special relationship that only grew stronger after Mr. Hull moved on to professional football.

“ Kent was kind enough to include me in his life after Mississippi State. We stayed close. I had just talked to him a couple of weeks ago. This is a terrible loss for all that knew him,” said Karatassos, now the associate athletic director for development at MSU.

Everybody has a lot of football memories of Mr. Hull , and there are some great ones, said Karatassos.

“But for me, it’s when my oldest daughter moved to Greenwood seven or eight years ago to go to work for Viking. He helped move her in. He was right there anytime she needed anything. He was like a second father to her.”

Mr. Hull was a longtime member of First Presbyterian Church, where he was an elected deacon and elder and was currently serving on the Session. He was a regular participant in a Wednesday morning Bible study held at Lawrence Printing Co., owned by his father-in-law, Ellett Lawrence.

Douglas said there was a huge void at this morning’s Bible study.

“ Kent was our ringleader. We’re sure going to miss him,” Douglas said moments after the end of today’s gathering. “He was very serious about his Christianity.

“ Kent had a real heart for those in pain and on hard times. He often gave meat from his cattle farm to the Community Kitchen, and he also helped at one time with a Bible study at Delta Correctional Facility.”

Douglas added: “ Kent had a real strong way of drawing people in those settings because he was sincere.”

Greenwood farmer Craig Brown said his longtime friend and former business partner will be truly missed.

“He was a great big ol’ teddy bear. He was truly a unique individual, a true and loyal friend, and we’re all going to miss him,” Brown said.

Mr. Hull was one of 14 offensive linemen listed on the NFL Hall of Fame’s ballot for 2012. He played for the Bills for 11 seasons (1986-96) and for the now-defunct USFL’s New Jersey Generals for three seasons prior to that. He was inducted into the MSU Sports Hall of Fame in 2000, the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame in 2002 and the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in 2003.

He also received the Ralph C. Wilson Distinguished Service Award in 2001, was selected to the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame in 1997 and was inducted into the Leflore County Hall of Fame in 2009.

After graduating from Greenwood High School, Mr. Hull played for MSU from 1979 to 82. He was a consensus first-team All-SEC freshman selection in 1979 and a pre-season All-America selection in 1982.

Mr. Hull was the center for one of the more memorable games in Bulldog history, a 6-3 victory over top-ranked Alabama in 1980. He helped pave the way for MSU head coach Emory Bellard’s option attack, which set school records for rushing yards and total offense that still stand today.

Mr. Hull played in 189 games for the Buffalo Bills. He started in the team’s Super Bowl run from 1991 to 1994, all of which the Bills lost. He was named to the Pro Bowl three times.

After retiring following the 1996 season, Hull returned to cattle farming on his Carroll County ranch.

The outpouring of sympathy was overwhelming in Buffalo, where fans were shocked and saddened by the news. Many turned to the website, www.buffalorumblings.com, to post comments and offer their condolences.

Peter King, the head NFL writer for Sports Illustrated, posted on the website: “I knew Kent well, and he was one hell of a guy. I covered the Bills glory teams a lot, and other than (Darryl) Talley and (Steve) Tasker, Hull was my go-to guy. Honest, helpful and one heck of a center.”

Former Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly described Mr. Hull as a “man of great courage and character” in a statement released by the Bills.

“Words fall short when the pain runs so deep,” Kelly said. “I’m finding it hard to describe what this loss means to me and my family. KentHull was my best friend. ... He will be missed and never forgotten.”

Hull remembered as big man with a big heart

Author: BILL BURRUS

Sports Editor

KentHull was a mountain of a man with an incredibly soft side.

I had the pleasure to cover his final six seasons with the Buffalo Bills, including his last three trips to the Super Bowl. It was so neat to have a hometown boy to write about in the NFL.

I will never forget my first call to him for an interview. I had been on the job only about four months, and here I was asking this NFL standout center to share his time with me. I was nervous, and he knew it.

Kent immediately made a joke and put me at ease. He was able to do that because he never forgot his roots. He was incredibly humble, sincere and gracious.

I went on to ask questions, and he didn't hold back with his answers.

Little did I know at the time this was the start of a good friendship.

After the former Mississippi State great retired following the 1996 season and permanently moved back to Greenwood to run a cattle farm in Carroll County, our friendship started.

The best story I ever wrote about Kent was when he was inducted into the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame in October 2002. My wife and I were among a group of about 40 locals who made the trip together with his family to Buffalo for the induction ceremony.

It was simply unbelievable to see how revered he was in Buffalo. He was truly a fan favorite because Kent was so much like the residents of western New York - a hard-working, no-nonsense, blue-collar player.

With such a big crowd in the skybox, not everyone could go down on the field, so all of the kids and I went down at halftime of Buffalo's game against the Oakland Raiders.

The atmosphere was electric. The people of Buffalo loved this guy just like we all did.

I will never forget a man sitting about 20 rows up holding a sign that read: "It's been a Hull of a ride."

Boy, was it.

That was the funniest story I ever wrote about Kent ; this column is no doubt the toughest.

Kent overcame tremendous odds at every stop in his successful football career.

After graduating from Greenwood High School in 1979, he arrived in Starkville as an undersized 210-pound center. He was quickly thrust into the starting lineup and wound up earning freshman All-SEC honors in the first of four years as a starter for the Bulldogs.

I imagine he didn't win many battles in the trenches that first year, but he didn't lose many after that.

He wound up being the anchor in head coach Emory Bellard's wishbone attack.

Kent went undrafted by the NFL but was picked in the seventh round by the New Jersey Generals of the fledgling USFL. When the league folded, it appeared Hull 's football career was over.

He was picked up, however, by the Buffalo Bills, who were looking for a backup center for a short time. Well, six weeks turned into 11 years, and he is now considered the best center in the Bills' franchise history.

Hull served as Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly's center during the Buffalo's AFC title years in the early 1990s. Kent was a fixture on the offensive line of a team that made four straight Super Bowl appearances - from 1991 to 1994 - and played in three Pro Bowls.

The Bills ranked first in the NFL in yards rushing in both 1991 and 1992, and finished in the top six in total yards from 1989 to 1993.

He was smart, tough and durable as a player, and at one point appeared in 121 consecutive games with the Bills. He appeared in 189 games in all with Buffalo.

When he walked away from the game, Hull received a standing ovation from the media members at the press conference. Never heard of that before, but that tells you what kind of a man he was - honest, straightforward and genuine.

Then behind the closed doors of the locker room, his teammates gave him an emotional six-minute standing ovation.

His story on the gridiron is one of great inspiration, and one that everyone should know. His life after football is just as inspirational.

Kent , called by many a "gentle giant," lived the kind of life of which to be proud. He was a great family man, a great friend and, most importantly, a man of God.

"He was very serious about his Christianity," said Kent 's preacher, Dr. Rusty Douglas of First Presbyterian Church of Greenwood.

Longtime friend Straton Karatassos was shocked and saddened by the news of Kent 's death Tuesday. He said there was no doubt where his friend was now.

"The only solace in this truly sad situation is that I know Coach Bellard, who died back in February, was one of the first people to greet Kent in heaven," said Karatassos, who was the head trainer during Hull 's time in Starkville.

If there is football in heaven, you can bet Kent is already in the middle of it.

We're sure going to miss you, big boy.

Kent Hull : Big man with a big heart

Author: Staff Writer

One of the most endearing qualities of KentHull was that he never let fame or financial success go to his head.

Perhaps that’s the nature of offensive linemen, who are the unsung heroes of every successful football team. Even when they do their job well, they labor in the background, while the fans and cameras focus on the quarterbacks, running backs and receivers who rack up the yardage and score the touchdowns.

Whatever the reason, modesty was a trademark of Mr. Hull , as evidenced a couple of years ago when he was inducted into the Leflore County Hall of Fame.

Mr. Hull was no stranger to accolades and honors by that time. Following an 11-year NFL career with the Buffalo Bills, including an unprecedented four straight appearances in the Super Bowl, the former center was inducted onto the halls or walls of fame of the state of Mississippi, Mississippi State University (his alma mater), the greater Buffalo area and the Bills.

Yet, Mr. Hull was almost sheepish about being honored by the town where he grew up and which vicariously rode along with him during that exciting Super Bowl stretch in the early 1990s.

“I’m not sure if I belong there if you look at some of the past recipients,” he said at the time.

Vintage KentHull .

Today, this community is terribly saddened by Mr. Hull’s death. He had been in ill health for some time, his body showing the wear and tear of years of colliding against large, strong men. Still, his death at age 50 seems way too early for a man who was not just a giant on the gridiron but outside of it as well.

Mr. Hull had a huge soft spot for kids, especially those who had been dealt a tough hand with physical ailments. He parlayed his NFL reputation and connections into raising bunches of money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and later the Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children in Jackson. He not only raised money for these causes, but he personally visited the children, some of them terminally ill, doing what he could to brighten their day.

In 2007, Mr. Hull thought Mississippi State University was joking when it asked him to deliver a commencement address.

“Why would they want some crippled-up ex-football player to speak to college graduates?” was his first reaction.

“But I thought about it, and finally decided that you know what? I do have something to say.”

What Mr. Hull said that spring day four years ago was that hard work and perseverance pay off, and that a college education is one of the best investments a young person can make.

All true.

What Mr. Hull might not have said, but which he showed in his life, was that everyone has a certain talent. It’s up to each of us to make the most of it not only to improve ourselves and our families but to improve whatever slice of the world we can.

The Mississippi State Bulldogs and Buffalo Bills were definitely better for having Mr. Hull as their center. The ailing children of Mississippi, Buffalo and the nation were better for having Mr. Hull as their champion.

He wouldn’t have wanted us to say it, but Mr. Hull was a special athlete and a special man. He will be missed.

This is so, so sad. I don't know if I would be able to go to his induction into the hall of fame if he was granted that honor. These stories of that sweet, sweet man are just breaking my heart. His family must be in such a state of shock and sadness.

Picture of Buffalo-related attendees at the funeral:

http://nflbills.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/img00186-20111021-12542.jpg

How many of them can we identify?

Front row (kneeling):

Blue Jacket STEVE TASKER

Gray Jacket

Second row:

Dark Green Jacket TRAINER WOODY RIBBECK

Blue Jacket Striped Tie RUSS BRANDON

Blue Jacket Solid Tie KENNETH DAVIS

Light Green Jacket

Blue Jacket (White Hair)

Blue Jacket (Gold Tie)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses) CORNELIUS BENNETT

Third row:

Blue Jacket (White Shirt)

Woman GRETCHER GEITTER BILLS VP

Light Blue Shirt (No Jacket) CHRIS MOHR

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses) DARRYL TALLEY

Black Jacket (Black Tie) ANDRE REED

Back Row:

White Shirt Red Tie

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses) JIM KELLY

Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses) RUBEN BROWN

Blue Shirt (No Jacket) BRUCE SMITH

Edited by \GoBillsInDallas/

http://nflbills.file...11021-12542.jpg

Front row (kneeling):

Blue Jacket STEVE TASKER

Gray Jacket

Second row:

Dark Green Jacket - Thurman Thomas

Blue Jacket Striped Tie

Blue Jacket Solid Tie

Light Green Jacket

Blue Jacket (White Hair)

Blue Jacket (Gold Tie)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses)

Third row:

Light Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses)

Back Row:

White Shirt Red Tie

Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses)

Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Front row (kneeling):

Blue Jacket STEVE TASKER

Gray Jacket

Second row:

Dark Green Jacket

Blue Jacket Striped Tie

Blue Jacket Solid Tie

Light Green Jacket

Blue Jacket (White Hair)

Blue Jacket (Gold Tie)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses)

Third row:

Light Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses)

Back Row:

White Shirt Red Tie

Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Blue Jacket (Sunglasses)

Blue Shirt (No Jacket)

Bruce Smith, Ruben Brown, and Biscuit are in the back row on the right side. Chris Mohr is the guy with the sunglasses next to Kelly. I think Kenny Davis is crouching in the front row.

Second row:

Dark Green Jacket

I think that's one of the trainers, maybe Randy "Woody" Ribbeck, but I can't find a good picture online to compare it too.