Bye Week Extensions?

plenzmd1

So do we see any of the big three get an extension this week? I have to think that if they do not happen in the next 7-10 days, they are not happening. Tough call on all three guys depending on what they are asking to get paid.

I am all in on Fitz, even after yesterday..pay the man as a qb in the #7-12 range should get paid ..Freddy has no options unfortunately for him, reup him next year....and I think Steve, while I love him on my team, is not worth top 10 money

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night Murph said the Bills were negotiating with Fitz. The Bills offered $7 million for 4 to 5 years and Fitz's agent was asking for $10 million.

Even not considering yesterday, no way in that hot place down below do I pay Fitz $10 million for 5 years. You can draft a quarterback, 10 years younger then Fitz, and with the new rookie salary structure pay him less. We could have had Dareus and Dalton out of the past draft if we wanted to.

Edited by billsfreak

Fitz is not worth $10m

Signing him to that type of long term deal would be upsetting. It seems we are interested in securing mediocrity.

After 10 years of suckiness, I guess mediocrity is progress. But I'd rather be shooting for greatness. I'd like Fitz for a few more years at a reasonable salary so that he can assume a spot on the bench when we find a real QB. Fitz=Kitna

Sign him to a backloaded deal so he can say he got $10m per year, but in reality it is a 3yr $21m deal. Otherwise let him walk.

Shoulda just signed Brees 5 years ago for 10 mil a year :bag:

Isn't Brees crying for being underpaid?

Even not considering yesterday, no way in that hot place down below do I pay Fitz $10 million for 5 years. You can draft a quarterback, 10 years younger then Fitz, and with the new rookie salary structure pay him less. We could have had Dareus and Dalton out of the past draft if we wanted to.

Is Dalton better than Fitz?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Totally agree, look how much cheaper Johnson, Losman and Edwards were

Last night Murph said the Bills were negotiating with Fitz. The Bills offered $7 million for 4 to 5 years and Fitz's agent was asking for $10 million.

Maybe that's the real reason Gailey called the two passes to SJ - to show that Fitz isn't worth $10mil/season?

Freakin' classic post.

You are one of the most vocal "Ralph is cheap" posters on this forum, and now you are advocating the Bills go the cheap route.

Frigging Brilliant!

Pay the man. Fitzparick may not be the long term answer at QB, but he is the answer for right now.

For a while I have been thinking that it would be to the Bills' advantage to extend some of these key pieces (Fitz, Stevie, Fred) this year and front load the contract to take the cap hit this year (given that we are so far under the cap this year).

Is there any competitive reason not to do that?

Shouldn't we take advantage of being so far under the cap this year to give us more flexibility withe cap in future years?

Am I missing something?

Edited by Peter

I have no problem with the team negotiating to extend him as cheaply as possible - - maybe ask him if he thinks he will have a more successful QB career with some other head coach. But in the end, pay him whatever is required to extend him. Ralph can afford it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/sports/football/espn-extends-deal-with-nfl-for-15-billion.html

Hours before the N.F.L. season began Thursday, ESPN demonstrated what “Monday Night Football” means to the cable empire by renewing it for $15.2 billion through 2021, according to a person briefed on the details. The completion of the contract was delayed by the league’s player lockout. At $1.9 billion a year, ESPN will be paying 73 percent more than the $1.1 billion a year it has been spending for “Monday Night,” the highest-rated show on cable television. ESPN began carrying Monday night games in 2006, when its previous package of Sunday night games moved to NBC.

Based on current trends, you can expect other networks to also pay significantly more for their next contracts. Per Leigh Steinberg:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Television-ratings-show-NFL-dominance.html

The Nielsen Ratings for the week of September 12-18th were amazing evidence of the love affair between the American public and the NFL. The top three shows and five of the top-ten rated programs were NFL showdowns or pregame shows:

1. Sunday Night Football on NBC

2. Sunday Night Football Kickoff Show

3. Monday Night Football: New England at Miami

6. Football Night in America (part 3)

9. Monday Night Football: Oakland at Denver

This list encompasses every single television show broadcast on all networks. Never has an American sport so completely controlled the attention of viewers. Remember that these are not games that decide playoff contestants or the playoffs themselves, games that traditionally garner higher viewership.

This country is so NFL crazy that the resumption of NFL activities were greeted with public glee. Think of what this promises in respect to future television contracts. In a fractionalized competition between 200 television networks, the internet, iPods and every other form of entertainment option, it is difficult to find programming that attracts a healthy percentage of the viewing public. It is difficult to find programming which cuts across demographic lines. Networks bid "loss leader" economics for the NFL television rights. They don't expect to be able to cover the costs with advertising revenue, but the goal is much larger.

A successful network can be worth billions. Football is able to bring a large audience for the networks, which then allows them to show promotions for their prime time programming. FOX was a distant fourth among networks with very few compelling shows. But viewers were exposed to "The Simpsons" and "Beverly Hills 90210" and the fact that Fox was a viable Monday-Friday viewer option.

After bidding a record amount to get the NFC contract—which has cities like New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington and Dallas—FOX put itself on the route to selling more valuable advertising for their prime time shows. When CBS dropped out of televising the NFL, their Monday-Friday ratings plummeted to the bottom. When they won the bidding for the AFC, they vaulted back to being the top-rated Monday-Friday network. The impact of transferring the NFL audience to prime time ratings and ultimate network value is hard to overestimate.

Isn't Brees crying for being underpaid?

Is Dalton better than Fitz?

PTR

More upside on Dalton then Fitz, agree with that?

Fitz is playing his best football after years in the league. And he has been a starter for multiple games at different times in his career.

Not saying Fitz is a bad qb, but lets see him put that much touted Harvard Ed to use and learn from his mistakes from yesterday.

At this point 7-9mil a year would seem very fair. Personally i would wait till en dof the season, may cost you a couple more mil, but lets see him put up these numbers for a solid continous season.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

For a while I have been thinking that it would be to the Bills' advantage to extend some of these key pieces (Fitz, Stevie, Fred) this year and front load the contract to take the cap hit this year (given that we are so far under the cap this year).

Is there any competitive reason not to do that?

Shouldn't we take advantage of being so far under the cap this year to give us more flexibility withe cap in future years?

Am I missing something?

I too would like to know this. Is there a way we could front load the crap out of it so that we are ahead of the curve years to come with Cap Space???? If so that could pay huge dividends!!!!!!!!