Is there any doubt we need a FRANCHISE QB ?

FALSE !!....he is GUARANTEED $24 mil....monies that are only obtainable "if" he is on the roster, are NOT considered guaranteed money.....yes it is spread out over the years for salary cap purposes....but if they cut him today...he gets $24 mil of that, guaranteed. this so called 6 yr deal is essentially a 3 year deal before it makes sense to cut him loose. he may or may not see years 4-6....but he will definitely be our guy for years 1-3.

What is 3 more years of this suffering, it has already been 11 or 12 years, so no big deal. And please keep all sharp objects away from me.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FALSE !!....he is GUARANTEED $24 mil....monies that are only obtainable "if" he is on the roster, are NOT considered guaranteed money.....yes it is spread out over the years for salary cap purposes....but if they cut him today...he gets $24 mil of that, guaranteed. this so called 6 yr deal is essentially a 3 year deal before it makes sense to cut him loose. he may or may not see years 4-6....but he will definitely be our guy for years 1-3.

What is your source for this? Mine are at the bottom of this article: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Paying-the-Bill.html

It's the 3rd game with a lot of bad throws of Fitzpatrick. Today 2 underthrows became int specially the 2nd cost us the game and that last drive prove we need a franchise QB. I know it's not all Fitz fault but it's clear as water. We have a very good backfield, a good group of WR, a decent OL (spite of the injuries). But the D doesn't make the right adjustments and the QB has all day to get rid of the ball. I'm just pissed, lose because a team outplayed you, fine. But lose because your own mistakes like today and that Cincy game just makes me crazy. :wallbash:

but you were OK with winning against eagles, pats and raiders based on their crazy mistakes.... it all evens out over a season and after 10 or 12 games, you know what you really have. Looks like a .500 football team. I'll take it after last season.

How do you get to the $24MM from the contract numbers above? Is some portion of the annual salary in each year gauranteed, like a deferred bonus? Or is it just that everything through 2013 is gaurenteed?

Also, is that $5MM rooster bonus due March 2012? Obviously they wouldn't cut him before they even draft someone else, but if that bonus was due in 2013 it becomes a possibility.

Thanks for your input pap-z.

Because that's the Bills M.O.. Remember the timing of the Dick Jauron extension?

Yep...Ralph decided that giving Dick an extention after the team dispatched such NFL heavyweights as St. Louis, Oakland, Seattle, and Jacksonville was a great idea. :wallbash:

This even though we were pummeled by Arizona. :wallbash:

Ralph was almost vindicated when they came out of the bye week with a win over San Diego (who finished 8-8 that season btw).

But then the season became a $h!* storm...much like this season is becoming.

:wallbash:

Fitz would be ok if he had superior WR's. Likewise Aaron rodgers would make the WR's in Buf look far better.

Just my opinion but you couldn't be more wrong. If Aaron Rodgers were in Buffalo with our line and our WR core that has been depleted due to a trade and injuries he would look pretty average. Better than what we have...eh sure but he is the run away MVP of the league with the talent he has around him for crying out loud. Why do people constantly due that in these forums. "If player X on pace to have the best season ever in the NFL was on our team we would be a lot better." Comparing good serviceable talent to hall of famers or record setters is idiotic and unfair. There aren't too many of those guys lying around at the discount store where we shop for talent.

Everyone bashed the crap out of Lee Evans and said we would be fine. Stevie Johnson the fan choice is our #1 and we are left with a whole slew of #4 worthy WRs. Our offensive line as I bitched and moaned about for years is proven to be WAY worse now than when we had Peters and Walker and our best offensive lineman Eric Wood is out for the year. We can't even snap the god damn ball to the QB properly so he has a chance to survey the field before the dogs are on him in under 3 seconds.

Our O-line and WRs are pathetic. You get what you pay for which in our case isn't much.

Don't even get me started on the defense!!!!!

Edited by PDaDdy

Yes we need a franchise QB, but my god some people here are clueless. We should cut Fitzpatrick? For who? Who is this magical replacement me have waiting in the wings. Even if we do get a QB, Fitz would be a huge asset in helping develop him as he sat behind him for much of the rookie season. Whatever you say about Fitzpatrick and his skill level, there's no denying he's extremely smart and understands our offensive scheme and also what's happening on the field with defenses.

Second, I'm all for looking for our future guy asap, and using Fitz as a competent role-filler until that date. But why does everyone assume this is going to happen for us all of the sudden. We've had like 15 years to find the guy to replace Kelly and we haven't even come close. Flutie, Johnson, Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards, etc. I hope as much as the next guy we find our future star, but some of you are acting like it's a guarantee or something. Shouldn't you know better at this point?

Fitz is our best prospect right now, and gives us the best chance of winning. Yes he's inconsistent, has accuracy issues, makes some bad calls...but we've seen him play good, and there's no reason he shouldn't be able to pick his game up.

And seriously, the "noodle arm" nonsense needs to stop. He's middle of the pack in strength, nothing more, nothing less. Check out his throw to Stevie in OT against the Steelers that was dropped. Easily about 50-55 yards and RIGHT on the money. You really do not need more than that...and fwiw, It doesn't even look like he struggled at all to get it that far.

So yeah not only is "noodle arm" being grossly misused here, it's such a moronic term that anyone who says it is immediately suspect.

It's the 3rd game with a lot of bad throws of Fitzpatrick. Today 2 underthrows became int specially the 2nd cost us the game and that last drive prove we need a franchise QB. I know it's not all Fitz fault but it's clear as water. We have a very good backfield, a good group of WR, a decent OL (spite of the injuries). But the D doesn't make the right adjustments and the QB has all day to get rid of the ball. I'm just pissed, lose because a team outplayed you, fine. But lose because your own mistakes like today and that Cincy game just makes me crazy. :wallbash:

Yes, there is doubt. Have a nice day, sir

Fitz is not a long-term answer at QB. He is a stop gap player for us. The team needs to draft it's Franchise QB in 2012 or 2013 while adding talent all over the roster. There are so many holes on the team still that I don't know if they take a QB in 2012 for the same reason they didn't this past year.

Just my opinion but you couldn't be more wrong. If Aaron Rodgers were in Buffalo with our line and our WR core that has been depleted due to a trade and injuries he would look pretty average. Better than what we have...eh sure but he is the run away MVP of the league with the talent he has around him for crying out loud. Why do people constantly due that in these forums. "If player X on pace to have the best season ever in the NFL was on our team we would be a lot better." Comparing good serviceable talent to hall of famers or record setters is idiotic and unfair. There aren't too many of those guys lying around at the discount store where we shop for talent.

Everyone bashed the crap out of Lee Evans and said we would be fine. Stevie Johnson the fan choice is our #1 and we are left with a whole slew of #4 worthy WRs. Our offensive line as I bitched and moaned about for years is proven to be WAY worse now than when we had Peters and Walker and our best offensive lineman Eric Wood is out for the year. We can't even snap the god damn ball to the QB properly so he has a chance to survey the field before the dogs are on him in under 3 seconds.

Our O-line and WRs are pathetic. You get what you pay for which in our case isn't much.

You honestly believe that Ryan Fitzpatrick is almost as good as Aaron Rodgers?????!!!!!!?????

Wow...

Sometimes I wonder if Bills fans have never seen a football game outside of the 16 played each year by Buffalo.

Fitzpatrick is around the "average to above average range" when it comes to starting NFL quarterbacks.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things to like about Fitzpatrick. But the truth is, he is EXTREMELY inaccurate on throws over about 8-10 yards. That limits his effectiveness to slants, curls and screen passes. And it is exactly the reason that teams have managed to shutdown our offensive production. Watch any Green Bay game and tell me if Rodgers has trouble throwing downfield. Give Fitzpatrick Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley... and he would still have accuracy problems downfield.

When it comes to the offensive line, Green Bay isn't known for having the best protection in the world either. But Rodgers is great at rolling out of the pocket, avoiding pressure and still picking apart a defense. Yes, Fitzpatrick also has lots of mobility in the pocket. But it's clear that he struggles finding open receivers when he can't make the quick 1-2 second throws. Watch what happens when Fitz gets pressured. That is when he throws picks and terrible passes into coverage.

Fitz isn't even in the same ballpark as Rodgers.

Bills fans always get upset that Ralph is willing to accept losing.

But they have NO problem throwing their support behind mediocre quarterbacks...crossing their fingers that we can get by with average talent at the MOST IMPORTANT POSITION in the league.

Sure, I believe we can make the playoffs someday with Fitz as quarterback. But it's going to require drafting several more talented offensive linemen and some elite threats at wide reciever (I'm talking Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson caliber). We would also need to field a Top 10 defense that could regularly hold the top teams under 15-20 points.

If we managed to draft an elite quarterback, our fortunes would change immediately.

You honestly believe that Ryan Fitzpatrick is almost as good as Aaron Rodgers?????!!!!!!?????

Wow...

Sometimes I wonder if Bills fans have never seen a football game outside of the 16 played each year by Buffalo.

Fitzpatrick is around the "average to above average range" when it comes to starting NFL quarterbacks.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things to like about Fitzpatrick. But the truth is, he is EXTREMELY inaccurate on throws over about 8-10 yards. That limits his effectiveness to slants, curls and screen passes. And it is exactly the reason that teams have managed to shutdown our offensive production. Watch any Green Bay game and tell me if Rodgers has trouble throwing downfield. Give Fitzpatrick Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley... and he would still have accuracy problems downfield.

When it comes to the offensive line, Green Bay isn't known for having the best protection in the world either. But Rodgers is great at rolling out of the pocket, avoiding pressure and still picking apart a defense. Yes, Fitzpatrick also has lots of mobility in the pocket. But it's clear that he struggles finding open receivers when he can't make the quick 1-2 second throws. Watch what happens when Fitz gets pressured. That is when he throws picks and terrible passes into coverage.

Fitz isn't even in the same ballpark as Rodgers.

ok, I sort of buy into this. Gailey developed a scheme to suit what Fitz (and our WRs and our O-Line) could do. Slants, screens etc...timing patterns. But what happens when the opposition figures it out? Logically you would counter their adjustments but Ah - there's the rub. Fitz does not have the ability to stretch the field, even if he had receivers who could separate from press coverage. So where do you go from here? You go find yourself a QB who can make all the throws (or at least most of them). With things being what they are, there is a chance we have not seen the worst yet. BTW he does not throw a particularly good slant either. Off target frequently, no touch. He is not a good passer.

Nice rant. The point missed here and the reason for referencing Rodgers as a mere example is this: great wr's make average qb's better. Great qb's make average wr better.

Get Fitz some great wr's that have large catch radii and his accuracy is less problematic. But an average qb with marginal wr's is flat out hosed...