Is there any doubt we need a FRANCHISE QB ?

It's the 3rd game with a lot of bad throws of Fitzpatrick. Today 2 underthrows became int specially the 2nd cost us the game and that last drive prove we need a franchise QB. I know it's not all Fitz fault but it's clear as water. We have a very good backfield, a good group of WR, a decent OL (spite of the injuries). But the D doesn't make the right adjustments and the QB has all day to get rid of the ball. I'm just pissed, lose because a team outplayed you, fine. But lose because your own mistakes like today and that Cincy game just makes me crazy. :wallbash:

...and exactly what WRs will this franchise QB throw the ball to? TEN dropped passes by the 3rd quarter. Not even the best QB in the universe can catch the ball for the WR. He can only hit them in the hands or in the numbers.

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1- Fitz is NOT a franchise QB....(Top 10)but sure, every team needs a franchise QB.

#2- Fitz is a legit starting NFL QB (Top 20)but consider him a more than acceptable steward for the next 3 years, until we can find that franchise QB.

#3- as painful as these losses are, Fitz is NOT the main reason we are losing. having said that, his lack of accuracy is very troublesome.

#4- the Defense SUCKS....but they sucked since week one when the offense was on fire. Losing Kyle Williams was devastating.

#5- the Offensive line is decimated by injury. this is the number one reason the offense has chit the bed. clearly the wheels came off for the offense when both LT's went down and all the line shuffling began. Now, with Woods out, it's a joke. At the start of the season the five starting O-lineman were playing exceptionaly well.

DRAFT a +300 pound lineman on either side of the ball. We still can't stop the run on D.....and having Fitz throwing in 3 seconds (even in the early games) or less is not effective...he needs more time.

No one can play QB effectively with a bad offensive line. Ours is so banged up its deplorable. We need veteran depth, we don't have that. Then we need receivers that can run routes more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and get open when the do. Then we can find out how good or bad Fitzpatrick is. But we need the first two before we can determine the third.

We should cut Fitz. Team would only have to eat his $10 million signing bonus. That's not terrible.

you'd have to eat $24 mil guaranteed....

10/28/2011: Signed a seven-year, $62.195 million contract. The deal contains $24 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus. 2011: $2.8 million, 2012: $2.8 million (+ $5 million option bonus due in March), $2.8 million, 2013: $4.25 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2014: $4.35 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2015: $7.2 million, 2016: $8.75 million, 2017: $9.4 million, 2018: Free Agent

It's the 3rd game with a lot of bad throws of Fitzpatrick. Today 2 underthrows became int specially the 2nd cost us the game and that last drive prove we need a franchise QB. I know it's not all Fitz fault but it's clear as water. We have a very good backfield, a good group of WR, a decent OL (spite of the injuries). But the D doesn't make the right adjustments and the QB has all day to get rid of the ball. I'm just pissed, lose because a team outplayed you, fine. But lose because your own mistakes like today and that Cincy game just makes me crazy. :wallbash:

Gotta agree with you. 3 bad games in a row. Though he can't catch the ball. Too many mistakes made by the receivers also.

One of the reasons Evans was traded is Fitz has a hard time throwing the deep patterns and Evans was a deep threat. Defenses are on to the "Noodle Arm". They jam the receivers and this offense is shot too hell...

I've never been a Fitz guy...I wanted Gabbert in the worst way, though I never thought Dareus would be there at #3...I'm not sure Gabbert will end up being any better than Fitz, but I've never thought Fitz would be good enough...

That being said...The Bills are stuck now...They committed to Fitz and now they have to build around him...Fitz has proven he can, at times, be an effective NFL QB...And if you want to win, if you want to go to a Championship with Fitz at QB, that means a dominant running game, a REAL good Defense, and a bunch of receivers that can make plays...The biggest problem with that equation at this point is the Defense which is CLEARLY the worst Defense in the NFL...They make average to below average QB's look like All Pro's...The Defense needs a complete overhaul, starting with the DC, some more Draft Picks and UFA's...The running Game is easier to fix...When healthy The Bills have SOME decent O-Linemen...They need another dominant guy...A LT would be best...But maybe a LT and a RG...The receivers? Well...The Bills actually have the start of a decent receiving crew, but they need that one guy...A guy like a Dez Bryant, AJ Green...Maybe Dwayne Bowe will come to Buffalo...If you put a guy like Bowe or Vincent Jackson on top of this depth Chart, re-sign Stevie...then Jones, Nelson, Easley and the rest are pushed down...All of a sudden your WR corps look a lot better...

I also think The Bills NEED to Draft a QB in 2012...Maybe not in the first couple Rounds...But somewhere...If for no other reason than Thigpen is currently the back-up...

This Team is a complete mess right now, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Fitz is WAY down on the list of problems...plus, like I said...The Bills are stuck with him for a couple more years... :wallbash:

I've never been a Fitz guy...I wanted Gabbert in the worst way, though I never thought Dareus would be there at #3...I'm not sure Gabbert will end up being any better than Fitz, but I've never thought Fitz would be good enough...

That being said...The Bills are stuck now...They committed to Fitz and now they have to build around him...Fitz has proven he can, at times, be an effective NFL QB...And if you want to win, if you want to go to a Championship with Fitz at QB, that means a dominant running game, a REAL good Defense, and a bunch of receivers that can make plays...The biggest problem with that equation at this point is the Defense which is CLEARLY the worst Defense in the NFL...They make average to below average QB's look like All Pro's...The Defense needs a complete overhaul, starting with the DC, some more Draft Picks and UFA's...The running Game is easier to fix...When healthy The Bills have SOME decent O-Linemen...They need another dominant guy...A LT would be best...But maybe a LT and a RG...The receivers? Well...The Bills actually have the start of a decent receiving crew, but they need that one guy...A guy like a Dez Bryant, AJ Green...Maybe Dwayne Bowe will come to Buffalo...If you put a guy like Bowe or Vincent Jackson on top of this depth Chart, re-sign Stevie...then Jones, Nelson, Easley and the rest are pushed down...All of a sudden your WR corps look a lot better...

I also think The Bills NEED to Draft a QB in 2012...Maybe not in the first couple Rounds...But somewhere...If for no other reason than Thigpen is currently the back-up...

This Team is a complete mess right now, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Fitz is WAY down on the list of problems...plus, like I said...The Bills are stuck with him for a couple more years... :wallbash:

If a top tier QB is there in the draft, you've gotta take him regardless of Fitz's contract.

If a top tier QB is there in the draft, you've gotta take him regardless of Fitz's contract.

Agreed...however, this is the Bills and seldom is what you HAVE TO DO to field a winner applied. Even money says frustrations will continue as the front office believes we are close to a playoff contender.

Gotta agree...three weak games, especially in second half. He isn't what Gailey needs, not terrible but not the real deal.

If you look at it, Fitz has only played on complete game all year and that was week one. Even during the brief time period when they were winning beating NE, Philly and Oakland, Fitz had one bad half each game, the first against NE and Oakland and the Second against Philly. He wasn't very good against Washington throwing picks and dropping balls for fumbles when nobody was near him. He has never been a franchise QB, and anyone who thought he was, was fooling themselves.

If you look at it, Fitz has only played on complete game all year and that was week one I really don't know my arse from my elbow. Even during the brief time period when they were winning beating NE, Philly and Oakland, Fitz had one bad half each game, the first against NE and Oakland and the Second against Philly. He wasn't very good against Washington throwing picks and dropping balls for fumbles when nobody was near him. He has never been a franchise QB, and anyone who thought he was, was fooling themselves.

Fixed!

Btw, you might want to revisit your DVR for the Redskins/Bills game. Fitzpatrick was 21-for-27, 262 yards, 2 TDs, one pick and a QB rating of 116. But, I'll give you a mulligan: It was a 4pm start on the day before Halloween, so maybe you had one too many Keystones by that point and were seeing ghosts.

10/28/2011: Signed a seven-year, $62.195 million contract. The deal contains $24 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus. 2011: $2.8 million, 2012: $2.8 million (+ $5 million option bonus due in March), $2.8 million, 2013: $4.25 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2014: $4.35 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2015: $7.2 million, 2016: $8.75 million, 2017: $9.4 million, 2018: Free Agent

Reading this makes my head spin. Why couldn't they have waited through more divisional games! How you play versus the division, especially in the cold season, tells the tale.

Some of those guarantees are only guaranteed if he's on the roster. The $10 mill signing bonus is already his. But the rest of the $24 mill is up in the air. $9 mil of it for sure would not be paid if he's cut. It's the $5 mill option bonus this March that I'm not sure about. If he's cut, I'm not sure we have to pay him that.

So at most it's eating $15 mill.

Some of those guarantees are only guaranteed if he's on the roster. The $10 mill signing bonus is already his. But the rest of the $24 mill is up in the air. $9 mil of it for sure would not be paid if he's cut. It's the $5 mill option bonus this March that I'm not sure about. If he's cut, I'm not sure we have to pay him that.

So at most it's eating $15 mill.

FALSE !!....he is GUARANTEED $24 mil....monies that are only obtainable "if" he is on the roster, are NOT considered guaranteed money.....yes it is spread out over the years for salary cap purposes....but if they cut him today...he gets $24 mil of that, guaranteed. this so called 6 yr deal is essentially a 3 year deal before it makes sense to cut him loose. he may or may not see years 4-6....but he will definitely be our guy for years 1-3.

Fitz would be ok if he had superior WR's. Likewise Aaron rodgers would make the WR's in Buf look far better. But when you have margainal talent at both positions you get what you see in royal blue. I am guessing it is unusal to beable to play man coverage in the NFL on 4 WR's and have the edge at each spot, unless you are playing a team of UDFA's.

All of the Bufflao WR's were are UDFA (Steive excluded though he was close and plagued with injury thus limiting his contribution). When you go man coverage on these non elite athletes, which I presume is why they were UDFA's, they are either too slow, not quick enough or not strong enough to get open against the guys who were drafted and becasue they "measured up" better...

This has been the clear success of opposing defenses. They can make Ftiz work if they go find a Bryant or a Crabtree even a Roy Williams or Plexico...

That is gonna haunt this franchise, just another example of the stupid spending of what little money they do spend.

Fitz would be ok if he had superior WR's. Likewise Aaron rodgers would make the WR's in Buf look far better. But when you have margainal talent at both positions you get what you see in royal blue. I am guessing it is unusal to beable to play man coverage in the NFL on 4 WR's and have the edge at each spot, unless you are playing a team of UDFA's.

I like how you state this so matter-of-factly. Let's hypothetically trade WR corps with the Packers. Are they even close? Are they?

I'm sure Donald Jones and Ruvell Martin would be headed to the Pro Bowl if they had Rodgers throwing them passes, yes? :thumbdown: