The Call

Simon

Let the play clock tick down to one second, average play is :5 seconds and if you use the entire play clock, that would be about :45 seconds for each play.

Say the Giants use a TO on both first and second down. Bills would run their 3rd down play with just under 4 minutes remaining. 45 seconds off the clock later and they are kicking the FG with about 3 minutes left on the clock. The Giants then only have the 2 minute warning to stop the clock.

This is assuming the Giants use their last 2 TOs during this time. I think the Giants would probably save the TOs based on what the Bills did with their first play after the David Nelson 1st down.

You definitely use a TO when it's fourth down. That still gets you 1 TO and the 2 minute warning with about 2:30-2:35 left. I don't think the Bills wind it down to exactly 1 every play. You can't risk a five yard delay of game there given that you're banking on a FG.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that lot's of posters in this thread long for the days of Dick Jauron. :thumbdown: I like the aggressiveness of the play call by Chan. Fitz has got to make that throw count for a TD when Stevie beats his guy on that go route. They way the D was not pressuring Eli for the entire day, the conservative DJ brand of football just was not the way to go. You go for the score to make the Giants have to score a TD to tie the game. Just my opinion.

Bad day at the office for Fitz...He'll have better days for sure and he has to for the season to conclude with the Bills in the playoffs. Go Bills!!!

Chan called the correct play, Fitz plain and simply blew it. On a play like that, you either have to complete it, or over throw it so the only one who can get to it is your receiver. That was almost identical to the underthrown pass he had picked earlier. Those two passes cost the game, despite the defense being horrendous.

In the 4th quarter, the clock is the Giants' foe. If you are going to call a pass play, make sure you call a high percentage pass play that once completed, will allow the clock to continue to run. Not a pass down the sidelines where even if completed, SJ is up against the sidelines where if he steps out, the clock stops.

Even with the way that you say it, Fitz would've had to make a perfect pass to complete it. If he throws it high and it is incomplete, the clock stops, which again, is exactly what the Giants would've loved to have seen because they wouldn't have had to use one of their 2 remaining TOs.

Wrong play call no matter how you slice it.

I'm sorry, but when your best run blocker moves to LT and a scrub replaces him, then yes, your running game has an inherent problem. They ran eight times for 19 yards (9 times for 22 yards if you include Fitz's sneak) in the second half.

I dont mind them passing at all....but you cant take a risk in that spot....

once you get into scoring position...high pecentage plays is what its all about...

short/quick routes....pass plays like those to spiller...slants to sj...maybe using the TE

You definitely use a TO when it's fourth down. That still gets you 1 TO and the 2 minute warning with about 2:30-2:35 left. I don't think the Bills wind it down to exactly 1 every play. You can't risk a five yard delay of game there given that you're banking on a FG.

This is all assuming the Bills don't get a 1st down.

I don't mind a pass play under these circumstance, but it needs to be a high percentage pass play that once completed, will keep the clock running. It was a poor play call because of how perfect a pass Fitz would've had to have thrown. Even if he overthrows it, the clock still stops.

once you get into scoring position...high pecentage plays is what its all about...

short/quick routes....pass plays like those to spiller...slants to sj...maybe using the TE

This

The thing is, a 24 yard hookup to a wide open receiver in single coverage is usually far less risky than a throw into the middle of the field. It wasn't like it was a truly difficult throw. Eight times out of ten, he makes that throw.

The thing is, a 24 yard hookup to a wide open receiver in single coverage is usually far less risky than a throw into the middle of the field. It wasn't like it was a truly difficult throw. Eight times out of ten, he makes that throw.

I would say the odds are lower than that considering the only two times he attempted that throw yesterday, it got picked off.

It wasn't a high percentage throw. A high percentage throw would be a designed roll out with the option of Fitz hitting an underneath receiver, running with the ball, or throwing it away.

Without that big run they averaged a pedestrian three yards per carry on the ground and iirc Freddy had less than 20 yards in the second half on six or seven carries.

You don't take out the run, it was part of the game! :wallbash:

And I wasn't advocating run run run fieldgoal. I'm saying you go with what had been working, and play to your strengths, which is FJ and the short and intermediate passing game.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how much time they thought we could have killed on the Giants' own 25 yard line with 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning. This not Jauron's team anymore. I am happy that Chan goes for the throat. Had Ditz connected there people would be praising Chan for that play call.

Over two minutes. AKA plenty of time for the Giants to go down and score.

I dont mind the pass call at all at that point. We were still playing to beat the Giants and not the clock. I think I was calling for a PA pass or an inside screen actually. PA would have been sweet - its a safer higher percentage pass, conventional wisdom says we should run, woulda been a good move. We dont use PA enough if you ask me.

Really? You don't think the Giants would have marched right down the field on the Bills defense and scored with 4 minutes to do so? I do!

Yea and with a Td there worst case is a tie with a last second td. You might even get the ball back, or even stop them.....

for the same reason your saying we shouldnt have run....

after injury, our line is schuffled around...and were asking out QB to take time in the pocket to let a downfield throw develop...

I'm sorry but thats just a stupid playcall...

Why ask him to throw that route there?

I'm not demanding he throw Fred and Corey into the middle of the pile, but there was NO need to attack the endzone in that situation

In the NFL, you take what they are giving you. They were taking away the run and giving us that route. Chan had the balls to call it. Good for him and good for us not to have Jauron calling 3 runs smack into 8 in the box. Good for you Chan. Do it every time you have it .

In the 4th quarter, the clock is the Giants' foe. If you are going to call a pass play, make sure you call a high percentage pass play that once completed, will allow the clock to continue to run. Not a pass down the sidelines where even if completed, SJ is up against the sidelines where if he steps out, the clock stops.

Even with the way that you say it, Fitz would've had to make a perfect pass to complete it. If he throws it high and it is incomplete, the clock stops, which again, is exactly what the Giants would've loved to have seen because they wouldn't have had to use one of their 2 remaining TOs.

Wrong play call no matter how you slice it.

:thumbdown:

This can be second-guessed until the cows come home. Bottom line is if Fitz makes the throw he should have made, we're likely looking at a win yesterday and people lauding Gailey for going for the throat. But since the play failed, again because of a poor throw by Fitz, it was a dumb call.

Cowboys had a 3-point lead and the ball at midfield with 4 minutes left. 3 straight running plays, 3 straight stuffs. Punt, Brady wins the game. So which is it? Kill clock or keep doing what got you the lead? Even Jerruh Jones said the Cowboys shouldn't have gotten conservative. Whatever doesn't work was the wrong thing I guess.

PTR

for the same reason your saying we shouldnt have run....

after injury, our line is schuffled around...and were asking out QB to take time in the pocket to let a downfield throw develop...

I'm sorry but thats just a stupid playcall...

But Johnson was open and Fitz had time! It's what the Giants gave them! Score the seven when presented with the opportunity. You play to win the game.

Yea and with a Td there worst case is a tie with a last second td. You might even get the ball back, or even stop them.....

since everybody here is speculating, what if the Bills run the ball 3 times and gain a first down and then run the clock down and kick the FG to win? We never would have known because of one poor play call decision.

all that stuff is into the middle of the field.. inside the 30 yard line there is no room for slants, TE throws etc. The only room is up the sidelines and in the end zone. That is what the Giants gave them and that is what Chan called. Really brilliant call. Fitz throws it 5 yards farther and we have him going to Hawaii. Give it up. Everything was perfect except the execution.

Bring back DJ!!! This aggressive playcalling sucks! We should have run it three times right into the line, then attempted to kick a 41 yard field goal. Then of course, our stout defense would have easily held them off from getting into field goal range.

Sorry, I like the play call. I love it that they went for the jugular there. Unfortunately, Fitz underthrew him, **** happens. He'll learn for the next time.